Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Who will find "Dwarf Heaven" first?  (Read 3603 times)

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Who will find "Dwarf Heaven" first?
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2010, 07:00:15 am »

The first thing I thought when I saw this thread is that instead of digging too deep, you build too high.

Didn't the upper limit disappear with the lower limit? Anyone feel the need to make an enormous tower and see if there's anything waiting up there?
Upper limit seems to be set by worldgen parameters

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2010, 08:01:59 am »

Seems to me that Dwarven Heaven this time around would be a 40 z-level cavern or something like that. I don't know if they grow to be that big, but if they did, that would be epic.
This is to make me recognizable.

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2010, 08:08:53 am »

EDIT: Nevermind didn't read further posts
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 08:11:31 am by gerkinzola »

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2010, 08:23:10 am »

Adamantine sword with undead temple is still not-everywhere feature.

This prompts the question: Are those only found in mountainous areas like the previous HFS was or can I drop a fort anywhere and still have the possibility of finding something epic-spooky down there? The last two that I landed only had Crundles or whatever and were disappointing.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Ampoliros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2010, 09:16:45 am »

dwarf heaven is whereever you want it to be, really

I've been preferring high volcanic lots-of-igneous-extrusive areas with marble + sand for my forts thus far, with gabbro and granite layers to round out the mineral/gem selection if possible. five or six igneous layers nets an even split between igneous extrusive omnom iron and intrusive/metamorphic variety. Sedimentary can go right to hell, gypsum is cheap  ;D

also, i really recommend you max out some of the cavern settings in worldgen, the openness/passage density at 100 give nice wide-open caverns, and centering the water density around 50 will give you modest sized lakes on most cavern levels

also, re: [redacted stuff]:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2010, 09:34:00 am »

wrt redaction: Awesome. I apparently have just had bad luck.

Edit: To attest to that, I have not had the "piles and piles of gold" issue everyone is talking about. I end up with iron veins absolutely everywhere and no precious metals. :/

...so I started making steel crafts.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2010, 09:35:48 am »

Adamantine sword with undead temple is still not-everywhere feature.

This prompts the question: Are those only found in mountainous areas like the previous HFS was or can I drop a fort anywhere and still have the possibility of finding something epic-spooky down there? The last two that I landed only had Crundles or whatever and were disappointing.

I've seen a quote from toady stating there is one per "Region" tile (I think thats the term for it).  Basically, if you could max your embarkation size to 16x16, you're guaranteed the temple.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2010, 01:10:30 pm »

Edit: To attest to that, I have not had the "piles and piles of gold" issue everyone is talking about. I end up with iron veins absolutely everywhere and no precious metals. :/

For any given (region? biome?) it seems there is a relatively short list of minerals it has, but it has those minerals in ludicrous levels.  You will either find no gold, or more than you know what to do with.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Ampoliros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2010, 01:40:30 pm »

i always figured the 'piles of gold' was from sedimentary embarks. you get 4-5 z-levels of magnetite and coal and omgwtf, and then the rest are just either olivine or...well...GOLD!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2010, 01:45:42 pm »

i always figured the 'piles of gold' was from sedimentary embarks. you get 4-5 z-levels of magnetite and coal and omgwtf, and then the rest are just either olivine or...well...GOLD!

GOLD. OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM. FEED THE POINTLESS GOLDEN TOWER OF GOBLINOID DEATH.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2010, 02:27:28 pm »

Also note that good Dwarven steel is worth exactly as much as gold.  Because it's awesome.
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring
Pages: 1 2 [3]