Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Who will find "Dwarf Heaven" first?  (Read 3605 times)

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Who will find "Dwarf Heaven" first?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 02:50:30 pm »

It does seem like a place which can manufacture vast amounts of steel would be heaven now. Also perhaps lead for blunt weapons.

I've heard that modding gold to be usable in weapons works just as well/better.  Given how much people seem to complain about vast gold piles now...  ;D

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 03:07:26 pm »

The first thing I thought when I saw this thread is that instead of digging too deep, you build too high.

Didn't the upper limit disappear with the lower limit? Anyone feel the need to make an enormous tower and see if there's anything waiting up there?
That was my first thought too. Tower of Babel and all that.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 03:07:41 pm »

It does seem like a place which can manufacture vast amounts of steel would be heaven now. Also perhaps lead for blunt weapons.

I've heard that modding gold to be usable in weapons works just as well/better.  Given how much people seem to complain about vast gold piles now...  ;D

Gold makes great blunt weapons due to its weight. Steel should still be a better choice for sharp cutty-stabby-slashy things.

Also, the previous version's Dwarf Heaven could be compressed into a 3x5 area.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 05:01:18 pm »

You cant actually make lead weapons outside of the arena, sadly :(
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 05:13:22 pm »

Gold makes great blunt weapons due to its weight. Steel should still be a better choice for sharp cutty-stabby-slashy things.

Also, the previous version's Dwarf Heaven could be compressed into a 3x5 area.

You missed out on adamantine and an UG river if you did.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

MonkeyMeat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 05:22:37 pm »

Didn't the 40d dwarf heaven also have access from all civs?

tbino

• Bay Watcher
  • For when praying to armok isn't enough
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 05:29:06 pm »

And gypsum. don't forget gypsum & sand.

TheDarkJay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 05:34:05 pm »

Isn't Dwarf Heaven that thing you find when you dig straight to the bottom of the map? I mean, once you open it up that's where all your Dwarves go...

But yeah, useful stone is pretty much everywhere in the latest version. Now it's more about caverns in convenient areas, a good landscape (personally favour completely flat landscapes), perhaps a Volcano (it is possible to get a flat landscape and volcano) and river or at least a brook...no Aquifer, and of course those Unique scary places ^^

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 05:54:59 pm »

I dont know about the game stats, but the platinum group elements are the denseset available.  more so than gold, lead, and uranium.  if you're going to mod metals to be weaponable, you should probalby be doing it with platinum.

Heck, why do you think Hammers Slammers used iridium armor on their tanks?  not because its shiney...

imagine dwarfs walking into battle with platinum hammers and platinum plate.  you'll still need something with better edge-holding properties for your bladed weapons...

...Something else interesting, is that the best blunt weapons (in reality) are not always the most massive.  Flanged Maces were often forged with hollow heads, so that they would be lighter and so that you would be able to swing them with more speed.  not sure how the game takes this into account, if it does at all.

Copper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2010, 06:23:26 pm »

You can still find pits, too. No longer bottomless of course, they are just like big empty magma pipes, the same shape on every z-level. I think you get an announcement when you find one. I've only seen ones that don't breach the surface though. So I think there is still plenty of room for a dwarf heaven.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2010, 07:24:12 pm »

And of course the size of the river counts. A major river is a lot more heavenly than a brook or stream. Especially if the major river has carp (or not).
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2010, 08:09:33 pm »

You missed out on adamantine and an UG river if you did.

No. What you don't realize is that the entire brook was part of the grassland.

It would look like:
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2010, 09:29:18 pm »

But then you run into the bug where siegers will pop up on the border of the largest perfect square, making any defences east and west useless. Plus, my site was so much sexier as a 6x6.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

2cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2010, 10:04:16 pm »

I wasn't aware you could make weapons out of lead. Doesn't seem to work for me, I go into the "create weapon" thing and lead isn't one of the choices.

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2010, 06:39:11 am »

So *has* anybody found a good sites with nearby access from all 4 civs? Since trade takes time now (and I'm impatient with my forts usually :P), it seems like that's the most useful feature.
Pages: 1 [2] 3