Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engraving from Strange Moods  (Read 1253 times)

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Engraving from Strange Moods
« on: April 07, 2010, 10:33:06 am »

I think it would be pretty awesome to have moods able to produce engraving artifacts: as in, dwarf claims a a section of hallway 5 tiles wide and 10 tiles long (and if you have a room with multiple z levels, having him engrave walls on upper z levels would be awesome), and goes to town on it for a few weeks to produce a massive engraving.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
Re: Engraving from Strange Moods
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 03:18:26 pm »

. . . requesting materials, so you get an artifact carved hallway/room inlaid with ivory and precious stones?

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 06:38:47 pm »

...Inlaid with rope reed cloth and cath leather, most likely :p But it's a good idea. I'd like to see mosaics as well, artifact and regular.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 04:21:33 am »

...Inlaid with rope reed cloth and cath leather, most likely :p But it's a good idea. I'd like to see mosaics as well, artifact and regular.
And the different types of strange mood could give different styles of engravings.  Fell and/or macabre engraving moods start to give imitations of the HFS engraving patterns (the former still necessitating some 'material' from which to carve/adorn the 'still life' subject of the engravings), with others being more palatable and (at least) Fey moods giving something truly celebratory.

That leads to the nature of the engravings having an effect on the dwarfs passing through the area.  There's a tendency to not step on Moodily Engraved floors that mean something to any passing character, and traveller's personal moods that pass over/by engravings can be swayed (in either direction, by various amounts) by the appropriate racial Ethics/Reactions, personal preferences and other factors of admiration/disgust for the subject and sentiment expressed thereupon...

Imagine getting a particularly trader-friendly or enemy-repulsive segment in a suitable spot to be able to re-route your trader access through that segment of corridor.  Frexample, a Goblin thief having to walk through a corridor adorned with carvings of heroic dwarfs killing various other goblins.  (Could discourage or outrage them.)  And maybe chances of 'accidental' vandalism of the engravings.

Honalululand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 04:51:25 pm »

What worries me is the idea of a dwarf just claiming a section of rock. He might end up engraving where I wanted to fortify, below a cavein trap, in an obsidian farm, or simply 'in the way'. The idea of moody engravings makes sense, but I'm not exactly sure how you could make it work. I suppose you could restrict this to only smooth walls, but I know that I tend to smooth everything in my fort as an exercise for my engravers and I tend to smooth roads on rock before paving them, so even that's less than ideal, at least from my standpoint.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 05:00:03 pm »

that's less than ideal, at least from my standpoint.

That's why it would fit so well in Dwarf Fortress!  ;D

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 06:00:30 pm »

I take your idea and take it up a notch saying Dwarves should take entire rooms and decorate them while in a mood, or work themselves to death trying.
Thank you based dwarf.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 07:42:34 pm »

Really like the whole rooms idea.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 06:37:09 am »

Personally I'd just designate a square for him to use. Larger engravings might have their place but they're not implemented right now.

Some other surfaces might be acceptable for a portion of the moods as well, such as a large masterful stone table or throne. A lesser happy thought would be granted to the carver of the original piece of furniture.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 11:40:19 am »

On a semi-related note, I'd like to see the subject matter of an engraving or statue have an effect on the thought it produces in anyone who sees it, and conversely the mood of the engraver should affect their choice of subject. Seeing a masterwork engraving of a tentacle demon committing depraved acts upon someone, for example, should really not brighten a dwarf's day unless he happens to like that sort of thing.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 11:42:45 am »

Well as Toady once suggested having Stone Tablets where Engravings could be created to later be used could help this suggestion along.

Especially seeing the extremely random nature of both artifacts and engravings.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 04:57:25 am »

Especially seeing the extremely random nature of both artifacts and engravings.
To those who want to designate where a "Moody Engraving" occurs, it's in reference to the way that (with certain caveats) you can't dictate the nature of the way the mood goes that I think that  you should (if you'll forgive the phrase) "take the rough with the smooth" when it comes to hypothetical claiming of corridor space for mood-induced engraving.

Or, as also mentioned, confine it to creating 'facia slabs', able to be be hung on walls wherever one might wish at a later date.  Whether or not non-mood slabs are also added to the game.

Which reminds me, I might as well tell a tale.  Largely irrelevant to this discussion, but I'm bursting to say something so...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)