Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Sweetbread  (Read 6074 times)

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: Sweetbread
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2010, 11:23:05 pm »

*Urist McMason takes a leak in a barrel, then takes the barrel to the main stockpile*
Urist McNoble: How do you get booze from rocks anyways?
Urist McMason: Uhh... old mason's secret!

Well it is "plump helmet wine"...
Sanity is for the weak.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2010, 01:17:35 pm »

Quote from: SkyRender
Quote from: dudeinthedark
*Urist McMason takes a leak in a barrel, then takes the barrel to the main stockpile*
Urist McNoble: How do you get booze from rocks anyways?
Urist McMason: Uhh... old mason's secret!
Well it is "plump helmet wine"...

D:

(At least I'm not the only one who thinks "plump helmet" is one of the things you don't mention to non-DFers, else they get the wrong idea)
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2010, 02:49:31 pm »

As for the meat grinder I was hoping to make, it seems that my efforts might be stymied for the time being. I've been told only vermin can actually be used as reagents, but I'm hoping more information will surface soon... Apparently a lot about the new reaction system is unknown atm.

when you do get around to making it/understanding the reaction system, you should totally make it so that it needs 2+ large serrated discs in its construction, among a couple of mechanisms and blocks

If you truly can't put whole creatures into it, you can still make it so you butcher the creature first and then you can just make a reaction for each component of the creature.  It'd work like this:

1. butcher kitten
2. stuff component parts of kitten into grinder
3. ???
4. sausage
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2010, 07:57:05 pm »

I think it might work, but only for the corpses of creatures rather than live ones. But yeah, definitely will utilize serrated discs & mechanisms. The output will be ground meat, bone meal, and blood (lots of blood). Then ground meat + intestines = high value food (sausage)... Or at least, that's my plan. The bone meal and blood will have their uses, too (blood pudding, etc.).

The main problem is probably going to be having to define a reaction for every creature, since their size varies so much it wouldn't be believable to have them all be reduced to the same amount of product.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 08:01:42 pm by Intelligent Shade of Blue »
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2010, 08:07:45 pm »

it'll definitely be a lot of tedious reaction planning, but the output of ground meat should be equal to the sum of meat and erroneous biological tissue.  I imagined that the bones would just be ground in with everything else to make a high-calcium food, and it wouldn't make a distinction or separating mechanic. it's a bloody grinder, man.  The blood I actually understand, though.  That brings the question to mind; can you even eat bone meal in this version, like if it was one of the results of your reaction?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2010, 09:15:38 pm »

I was about to suggest in the Suggestions forum that all food, or most of it, should be cooked or prepared before being consumed by the dwarves. Why fish must be prepared and meat don't? Why plants aren't prepared? We eat very few raw or unprepared foods in real world, and most of them are fruits. Even wheat always had to be baked into bread.
This would add to the challenge of the game and would make impossible for forts to rely only on caravans for their food. It's too easy just to buy all the foodstuff in caravans and never worry about food, and with this change they would sell only raw food.
I know this can be changed in the raws, but I think it would make the game more interesting and internally consistent if Toady himself make the change.

I hope I made myself clear, dabbling English writer here :P

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2010, 09:57:08 pm »

it'll definitely be a lot of tedious reaction planning, but the output of ground meat should be equal to the sum of meat and erroneous biological tissue.  I imagined that the bones would just be ground in with everything else to make a high-calcium food, and it wouldn't make a distinction or separating mechanic. it's a bloody grinder, man.  The blood I actually understand, though.  That brings the question to mind; can you even eat bone meal in this version, like if it was one of the results of your reaction?

Well, the bone meal was just an idea for extra utility. I suppose the grinder could be used to grind bones, too. I'm doubtful that bone meal (as it exists in the game) has become edible in this version, but it wouldn't be hard to define a new bone meal item that would be based on the type of creature used (so cow bone meal could be made from ground cow bones, etc), and make that inedible until cooked (like sugar).

In any case, I think I am going to make a thread in the modding section to further explore dwarven cuisine.

I was about to suggest in the Suggestions forum that all food, or most of it, should be cooked or prepared before being consumed by the dwarves. Why fish must be prepared and meat don't? Why plants aren't prepared? We eat very few raw or unprepared foods in real world, and most of them are fruits. Even wheat always had to be baked into bread.
This would add to the challenge of the game and would make impossible for forts to rely only on caravans for their food. It's too easy just to buy all the foodstuff in caravans and never worry about food, and with this change they would sell only raw food.
I know this can be changed in the raws, but I think it would make the game more interesting and internally consistent if Toady himself make the change.

I hope I made myself clear, dabbling English writer here :P

I actually agree with you, especially about meat. When I started playing this game, I initially believed the meat you got from butchering was inedible until cooked and was surprised to find out otherwise. For the plants, many of their products already need to be processed & cooked to be eaten (sugar, quarry leaves, cave wheat), so the game is pretty good in that respect. I do think meat products should require cooking, but I think it's okay to let dwarves eat fruit right off the tree or bush.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 10:04:36 pm by Intelligent Shade of Blue »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2010, 11:25:11 pm »

Looked in the raws and meat (muscle) is only [EDIBLE:COOKED]. It's bugged somehow, then?

edited:typo
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 11:35:49 pm by thvaz »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2010, 11:29:29 pm »

Interesting! That's a welcome change (probably not a bug/typo, either) for the new version, since in 40d the dwarves would happily eat raw meat.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2010, 11:37:04 pm »

Well, just if it is a change in 31.02. I am sure my dwarves were eating raw food in 31.01.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 07:59:04 am by thvaz »

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2010, 03:01:23 am »

Graah! Haven't any of you guys heard about steak tartare? Sashimi? Crudos? Oysters, perhaps?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2010, 08:00:32 am »

Graah! Haven't any of you guys heard about steak tartare? Sashimi? Crudos? Oysters, perhaps?

They are exceptions. And they must be prepared before eating anyway.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2010, 10:05:27 am »

Yep, they're all cleaned and inspected at the very least. It's not like people just hack into cows and start biting. Those are all kind of higher end foods too, so they would have a place in dwarven cuisine, just not at the basic level.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 10:09:25 am by Intelligent Shade of Blue »

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2010, 11:00:24 am »

I'm playing devil's advocate here, but you have to consider the fact that dwarves have a different biology from us simple humans.  As we all well know, they require a quantity of alcohol beverages to function at their highest capacity, and for all we know, it could act as a powerful sanitizer for all of their meals.  It very well might be dwarfish tradition to simply hack into a cow and start eating!

it certainly sounds dwarfy enough to me.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2010, 01:07:09 pm »

Elves eat straight from an animal. Dwarves at the least prepare their meals by throwing it in alcohol and eating it as soup.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]