Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: The actual odds of these bugs getting fixed (serious topic)  (Read 6144 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: The actual odds of these bugs getting fixed (serious topic)
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2010, 03:16:43 pm »

No one mentioned the absolutely debilitating bug that made dwarves sleep forever until they died of thirst and starvation? No?  ;D

It was fixed the next day but still. New versions bring game-breaking bugs. And lots of them.

This version's bugs, while not small in number and with many major problems, are not anything that this community and Toady hasn't weathered before - and worse.

So cut back on the doom and gloom gentlemen and relax... see how many thrown dragon corpses you can lodge into kitten spines and how many goblins you can watch melt in acid rain. Then submit a bug report.

Losing is fun. It's not the end of the world.

I know people will accuse such attitudes sometimes of "sucking up" but seriously, it's a game. Have fun with what you got, and it's got quite a lot. If not there's still 40d. Why thou mad over a free game?

Maulrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2010, 03:41:15 pm »

I know people will accuse such attitudes sometimes of "sucking up" but seriously, it's a game. Have fun with what you got, and it's got quite a lot. If not there's still 40d. Why thou mad over a free game?

You have read the topic, right? I've explicitly said that I'm perfectly happy to continue playing and supporting DF in its current state, but as a relative newcomer to the DF development process I was curious to know if they would be fixed within a time period shorter than two years, which, having come after 40d, is the only release period that I know.
puppywhirrrrrrl

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2010, 03:46:11 pm »

Yes, I've read it. Don't get defensive I'm not calling anyone out in particular.

You should see the massive flamewars on other forums though. It's like this game is Jerusalem and everyone's going on a bloody crusade attacking and defending the release.

All I'm saying is just wait, I guarantee you that it will be fine. Just contribute in whatever small ways you can if you want. That's the beauty of it, no one's forcing anyone to do anything here.

Maulrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2010, 04:07:21 pm »

Yes, I've read it. Don't get defensive I'm not calling anyone out in particular.

You should see the massive flamewars on other forums though. It's like this game is Jerusalem and everyone's going on a bloody crusade attacking and defending the release.

All I'm saying is just wait, I guarantee you that it will be fine. Just contribute in whatever small ways you can if you want. That's the beauty of it, no one's forcing anyone to do anything here.

Sorry if I came off as hostile; I just really didn't want to be misunderstood  ;D

When it comes down to it, I think Dwarf Fortress is the best game there is. No other game allows you to be this creative and open and play it so differently each time if you want; hell, even tabletop DnD is limited by the creativity of the DM. Dwarf Fortress development could stop right now where it is, or right at 40d, or back at 2d and I'd still have a game I could play endlessly.
puppywhirrrrrrl

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2010, 05:20:29 pm »

EVERYONE REMAIN CALM!

lol

Lets all just get along....there needs to be and is no hostility

Emnar

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun...I should know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2010, 07:10:25 pm »

Two things to add.

First, as a (sometimes) programmer, and a veteran of 38a-40d, I am SHOCKED that this release is as playable as it is.  Yes, there are gamebreaker bugs (I had to abandon a fortress because it invariably crashed at the next immigrant wave even after reloading from save), but to be honest I expected not to even be able to play for the first couple of weeks.  Instead, I've burnt hours and hours and hours.

Second, how much did we pay to download it?

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2010, 07:15:07 pm »

EVERYONE REMAIN CALM!

lol

Lets all just get along....there needs to be and is no hostility

On walls throughout the mountainhomes:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2010, 07:36:41 pm »

I remember when I started playing with the first 3d version, and sieges/megabeasts had no way of pathing into a fortress. 

The bug tracker shows the [GRAPHICS:ON] runtime error as already fixed for 0.31.02, so there's definitely forward progress.  The tracker shows 18 or so issues above the rest, separated from the pack by a little grey bar.  Does this indicate they are currently being worked on, and will be fixed before the release of 0.31.02?  If so, that's a bunch of the real bad ones.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2010, 07:45:36 pm »

The tracker shows 18 or so issues above the rest, separated from the pack by a little grey bar.  Does this indicate they are currently being worked on, and will be fixed before the release of 0.31.02?  If so, that's a bunch of the real bad ones.

Those are the ones I stickied, because they're bad and/or being reported a lot.  It doesn't mean anything one way or the other about whether Toady's working on them.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2010, 08:44:27 pm »

It's like this game is Jerusalem
But it is! Its like, the only game on the internets worth defending. So yeah, we can call it The Holy Game.
And the people who keep saying "the game is in alpha" are the biggest laugh. As if "alpha" and "beta" aren't 100% arbitrary distinctions here. Toady could announce today that the game has passed to "quadruple gamma banana" stage and it would mean just as much.
"Alpha" and "beta" do have definitions. These are stages of software development process. And they DO imply alot about delivered product quality.
"Alpha" means there are not all the features implemented, and implemented ones probably buggy. Beta means everything is implemented, but needs testing.
By stating that game is in its alpha, Toady DOES warn everyone, that it contains bugs. That it is in its feature development stage, and WILL HAVE NEW BUGS.
So it does make a difference for end-user: you was never promised anything. Moreover, Toady explicitly stated, that you will get bugs. If you have problems with that, noone holds you here.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2010, 08:47:11 pm »

Also: you can't really develop new features until you iron the current bugs out, because it is a continual building process.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2010, 10:36:08 pm »

I remember when I started playing with the first 3d version, and sieges/megabeasts had no way of pathing into a fortress.

I remember having those groups of goblins milling around the edge of my map where they showed up.  The only time they'd attack was when some hapless dwarf accidentally got too close and they'd start chasing after him.  Oh man...some folks were absolutely livid at how sieges were broken and how Toady had ruined the game for them.  That one took a while to get fixed up too.

Honestly, I'm surprised that I haven't seen more people complaining.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2010, 10:51:57 pm »

For whoever said no program is bug free, you are wrong. No moderately complicated program is bug free.

Idea: if you don't know about whether the bugs will be squashed, download and play 38a or something. Then play the amazingly stable 40d. That is your answer.

Maulrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2010, 11:23:48 pm »

Idea: if you don't know about whether the bugs will be squashed, download and play 38a or something. Then play the amazingly stable 40d. That is your answer.

Idea: Read the thread, or if you already have, pay attention this time.
puppywhirrrrrrl

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2010, 12:42:45 am »

One thing I'd like to remind people of, though most folks already know it:  Unless there's something utterly and unforseeably catastrophic, which I really doubt, all bugfixes are going to be save-compatible.  For a nice long time.  Enjoy playing now, and never have to worry about abandoning your wonderful new fortress to play the next version.  Help is on the way!

(And yes, help comes with great frequency.  It hasn't been out a week yet!)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5