Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kicking adventurer  (Read 1950 times)

Ikaruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kicking adventurer
« on: April 07, 2010, 01:31:42 am »

Hi all

I made an adventurer with a lot of skill points in "Kicker", but he never seems to kick anything : everytime he fights a monster, he either punches or wrestles. Is that a bug ?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Kicking adventurer
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 01:38:48 am »

No, not a bug, just a kind of oversight.  In the human creature entry, they have one primary unarmed skill (punching), and three secondary unarmed skills (kicking, scratching and biting).  The only time they'll use one of the secondary methods is when they cannot use the primary one (example: their hands have been cut off).

Interestingly, this means that scratching will never be used.  Scratching relies on the nails, which are part of the hands, which are used for punching.

This can, of course, be modded quite easily.  Just open creature_standard.txt in your region's raw folder (or the base raw folder for Dwarf Fortress, if you so choose), and find the human entry.

Once there, look for the various attack skills.  You'll notice the tag "[ATTACK_PRIORITY:SECOND]".  Change this to "[ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]" in order to have the creature use that attack normally.

Unless things have changed, a creature can have any number of main attack methods.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 09:51:00 am »

I recommend you melt your arms off instead.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 11:32:08 am »

I think you could also engage your hands while wrestling, and then switch to "strike" in the combat mode.  AKA, grab them by the head, and kick them in the groin.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 02:10:49 pm »

Nope.  You can still punch, even if you've grabbed someone.  It doesn't even release your grip.  You can also punch some if they've managed to grab your hands.

Now, you've gotta admit, that's pretty impressive.

EDIT:  Or even if your wrists are broken...  Alright, so maybe this is a bit buggy.

TheOatmeal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 12:41:37 am »

Nope.  You can still punch, even if you've grabbed someone.  It doesn't even release your grip.  You can also punch some if they've managed to grab your hands.

Stop punching yourself! Stop punching yourself!

That, and I found that pinching as a wrestler is also extremely overpowered.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 05:00:50 am »

Interestingly, this means that scratching will never be used.  Scratching relies on the nails, which are part of the hands, which are used for punching.

You'd think so, but...

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 01:23:35 pm »

No, not a bug, just a kind of oversight.  In the human creature entry, they have one primary unarmed skill (punching), and three secondary unarmed skills (kicking, scratching and biting).

I don't think 2010 still has primary and secondary attacks anymore.  There's nothing that says primary/secondary in the RAWs.  Punching is listed first, but changing the order doesn't seem to affect what's used.  From what I can tell with weapons testing, and weapons with multiple attack types, the game will actually pick the best attack to use.  In theory, this allows it to pick whatever's most suitable for a given situation, like hacking at an unarmored opponent and stabbing or bludgeoning one wearing chainmail.  But in practice, one particular attack is better in pretty much all situations.

Like I've modded warhammers to have a hammer head and a spike.  Bashing with the hammer part is listed first, spike second (and the only difference between them is blunt vs. edge).  Adventurers and arena fighters always use the spike, no matter how their opponent is armored.

So for whatever reason, the game is saying that Ikaruga's adventurer does more damage with punches than kicks despite the skill difference.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 01:38:24 pm »

I don't think 2010 still has primary and secondary attacks anymore.  There's nothing that says primary/secondary in the RAWs. 

[ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]
[ATTACK_PRIORITY:SECOND]

From what I can tell with weapons testing, and weapons with multiple attack types, the game will actually pick the best attack to use.  In theory, this allows it to pick whatever's most suitable for a given situation, like hacking at an unarmored opponent and stabbing or bludgeoning one wearing chainmail.  But in practice, one particular attack is better in pretty much all situations.

Like I've modded warhammers to have a hammer head and a spike.  Bashing with the hammer part is listed first, spike second (and the only difference between them is blunt vs. edge).  Adventurers and arena fighters always use the spike, no matter how their opponent is armored.

"It weighs the edge attacks 100 to 1 against the blunt ones, so you'll see an equal number of thrusts and slashes, but fewer pommel/flats."
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 01:41:55 pm by Footkerchief »

Pkassad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 02:18:23 pm »

I would venture to guess that the order of the code determines which is the main attack, so if you put the edge code before the blunt code.  Someone correct me if I am wrong. 
Yes but then the three children hanging off her will catch fire.
And that's stopped people before...?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 04:35:27 pm »

You'd think so, but...

Huh, interesting.  On a somewhat related topic, you can still punch even if your wrists have been shattered.  I didn't see a bug report, but I'm afraid I'm just not searching for the right thing.  Should I put up a mention?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 05:37:54 pm »

Huh, interesting.  On a somewhat related topic, you can still punch even if your wrists have been shattered.  I didn't see a bug report, but I'm afraid I'm just not searching for the right thing.  Should I put up a mention?

It's probably part of the larger problem where broken arm bones, leg bones etc. don't cause disabilities (at least in Arena/Adv. Mode)... but I can't find a dedicated report for that problem, oddly.  So yeah, might as well report all of those.