Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: D is for Dwarf  (Read 4641 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: D is for Dwarf
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2010, 05:00:44 pm »

While we're at it, I am really sick of magma and Elf jokes. I never found either funny to begin with.

Emphasizing. Half the posts in 'need advice/ideas' threads are these.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2010, 05:01:47 pm »

Meh, edited before someone reports.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 05:20:04 pm by sonerohi »
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2010, 05:57:45 pm »

What do people have against Elves? (Apart from them being useless)

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2010, 06:03:56 pm »

Dwarves are manly, elves are feminine.

I think it was Freud that came up with the theories about the phallus. Dwarves have the phallus, elves do not. Therefore, Elves are what not to be.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2010, 06:22:26 pm »

I think it was Freud that came up with the theories about the phallus. Dwarves have the phallus, elves do not. Therefore, Elves are what not to be.

On that basis, would the majority of male players prefer the company of elves? I mean apart from adventure mode were not signing up for who we are, were choosing the company we take.

DeMasked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2010, 06:29:30 pm »

On that basis, would the majority of male players prefer the company of elves? I mean apart from adventure mode were not signing up for who we are, were choosing the company we take.
No, for the simple reason that half the game becomes useless when you play as Elves, because they a) don't mine and b) have wooden weapons
DF's initial learning curve is more like a learning cliff, essentially the game shoves you off and expects you learn how to fly before you hit the ground.

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2010, 06:36:42 pm »

I still feel a bit uneasy, however, when people start making elaborate concentration camps for the elves.  Perhaps its just the human in me, but I don't find the idea of an elf child being whipped to death by a weapontrap repeater funny.

It is at that point where I stop harvesting the mermaids for their bones, I stop flooding the world with magma, and I ask myself,
"Wait a minute!  Are WE the bad guys?"

And that question bothers me.  It's just a game, I know, but it still bothers me.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2010, 06:51:11 pm »

I still feel a bit uneasy, however, when people start making elaborate concentration camps for the elves.  Perhaps its just the human in me, but I don't find the idea of an elf child being whipped to death by a weapontrap repeater funny.

It is at that point where I stop harvesting the mermaids for their bones, I stop flooding the world with magma, and I ask myself,

And that question bothers me.  It's just a game, I know, but it still bothers me.

The answer is yes, we are the bad guys. Enjoy one of the few games were you get that role, because all the others are RPGs were your mostly emo or they call you 'Chicken chaser!', even worse is the lack of moral middle ground, in that your either a saint or pure evil.

The only games NOT like the above are the dungeon keeper games, but then you might as well play DF!

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2010, 07:52:59 pm »

What is so wrong about POORING MAGMA on it and OMG UR AN ELF? It actually makes people feel apart of the community if you use common phrases like, "I found a carnival full of clowns down there" or "MAGMAAA" and generic Dwarfy-stuff like that. It really isn't much of an issue, so what's the problem? =(
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2010, 08:01:59 pm »

I love the idea of concentration camps.

How would I about setting one up in a way that would not cause damage to the inhabitant while allowing further input?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2010, 08:02:44 pm »

Personally, I like the clown metaphor, it wouldn't have got this big if it was stupid.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2010, 08:04:24 pm »

Personally, I like the clown metaphor, it wouldn't have got this big if it was stupid.

I beg to differ, take Ipods for example. Don't mistake successful for well structured.

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2010, 08:06:11 pm »

OH MY GOOOOOOD MY MIND IS MELTING FROM THIS LOGICAL FALLACY

Must.. resist.. making.. super liberal list of examples...

The Eviscerator of Gods

• Bay Watcher
  • Britannia's finest* paladin**
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2010, 08:07:47 pm »

Gross

(lol I'm taking it out of context)
Tom Cruise never had sex w/ his wife that baby's an alien from Xenu.

Iban

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2010, 08:08:25 pm »

Gross

(lol I'm taking it out of context)
Yeah, speaking of that, how do I take off a goblin's armor from their cage? Did he remove that the dump thing?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6