Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dragons and hydras are nothing to iron armor?  (Read 1157 times)

twichyboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dragons and hydras are nothing to iron armor?
« on: April 06, 2010, 09:57:16 pm »

just about 20 minutes ago i started a goblin adventurer as a joke and spent all my points on swordsman, he started with iron chainmail and an ion double handed sword, and a iron shield. I immediately got a mission from a armadillo demon to kill a dragon, i decided why not, i figured i'd die i went in the cave and found the dragon, he tried to burn me but my shield blocked that, and a few turns later his blood was everywhere and every one of his attacks glanced off my armor (i have no skill in armor user or shield user) i thought it was just a fluke, then the demon told me to go kill a hydra, same story cut him up nicely no damage to me, am i right to assume that armor is bugged currently?

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
Re: Dragons and hydras are nothing to iron armor?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 09:59:18 pm »

No, armour works, mostly. And in the arena dragons and hydras are insanely tough. Didn't the dragon breathe fire? And did you get a lucky strike with the hydra?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

twichyboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 10:04:39 pm »

The dragon started combat with fire and i blocked it, and i'm looking at the combat log turns out i never dodged even once and every single time either enemy attacked it hit it just was blocked, and i didnt spend any points on shield user

Edit: on counting the dragon attacked, and i subsequently blocked 12 times, the hydra 17 times never getting hurt

Edit Edit:: Just killed a second hydra, same results every shot blocked,
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 10:23:23 pm by twichyboy »

wrytalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 11:06:24 pm »

No, armour works, mostly. And in the arena dragons and hydras are insanely tough. Didn't the dragon breathe fire? And did you get a lucky strike with the hydra?

I think the fact that hydras and dragons can be so easily killed by adventurers is that adventurers are always insanely fast, strong, tough, no matter what race they are. I think it has something to do with weapon wielding, since my last two elven adventurers were "skilled" and "proficient" swordfighters, and moved at speeds of 1700-something and 2000, respectively. They had the same gear loadouts. If you spent all your points on the swordsman skill then I expect you'd be moving very fast.

As for blocking dragon fire, I had two dwarven companions who survived a battle with a dragon unscathed. I'm not sure about their shield user skill, but I'm sure they were shittier overall than my character since my traveling companions tend to die a lot.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 01:24:56 am »

Adventurers are currently way overpowered against anything that isn't undead/made of bronze(some sort of colossus, perhaps).  One on one I really only get killed by demons, because they're so tough and they can wear you down and once you're tired you can't block as well.  I'm hoping combat gets tightened up in the next few versions, otherwise one of the best parts of Dorf Fortran is kind of lame.
Shoes...

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 01:52:49 am »

Adventurers are currently way overpowered against anything that isn't undead/made of bronze(some sort of colossus, perhaps).  One on one I really only get killed by demons, because they're so tough and they can wear you down and once you're tired you can't block as well.  I'm hoping combat gets tightened up in the next few versions, otherwise one of the best parts of Dorf Fortran is kind of lame.

All my adventurers suffer some painful but odd wound from an underground herbivore and then pass out from the pain right in front of a gaggle of nuisance enemies.  Queue a dozen pages of 'the troglodyte strangles your throat!'.  I guess you can be legendary in two skills, but a compound fractured big toe is too much to handle.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Pkassad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 02:14:18 am »

just about 20 minutes ago i started a goblin adventurer as a joke and spent all my points on swordsman, he started with iron chainmail and an ion double handed sword, and a iron shield. I immediately got a mission from a armadillo demon to kill a dragon, i decided why not, i figured i'd die i went in the cave and found the dragon, he tried to burn me but my shield blocked that, and a few turns later his blood was everywhere and every one of his attacks glanced off my armor (i have no skill in armor user or shield user) i thought it was just a fluke, then the demon told me to go kill a hydra, same story cut him up nicely no damage to me, am i right to assume that armor is bugged currently?

I have:
*steel mail shirt*
=steel Mail Breast=
+steel cap+
*steel helm*
+steel left gaunt+
*steel right gaunt*
*steel shield*
and 2x +steel lowboots+

I have Legendary: Shield user, armor user, fighter, wrestler and Mast dodger.  after killing 900 dwarfs/elves/humans and a dragon.  I have even fought an hour on end with a bronze colossus and I have not sustained a single injury yet :(.  The only time I was hurt was when I dodged off stairs 3 times in a row.  Those bruises healed back almost right away.  Why can nothing hurt me?
Yes but then the three children hanging off her will catch fire.
And that's stopped people before...?

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 02:44:52 am »

I have:
*steel mail shirt*
=steel Mail Breast=
+steel cap+
*steel helm*
+steel left gaunt+
*steel right gaunt*
*steel shield*
and 2x +steel lowboots+

I have Legendary: Shield user, armor user, fighter, wrestler and Mast dodger.  after killing 900 dwarfs/elves/humans and a dragon.  I have even fought an hour on end with a bronze colossus and I have not sustained a single injury yet :(.  The only time I was hurt was when I dodged off stairs 3 times in a row.  Those bruises healed back almost right away.  Why can nothing hurt me?

When there is nothing left to fight on the surface, conquer hell.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Pkassad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 02:59:19 am »

I have:
*steel mail shirt*
=steel Mail Breast=
+steel cap+
*steel helm*
+steel left gaunt+
*steel right gaunt*
*steel shield*
and 2x +steel lowboots+

When there is nothing left to fight on the surface, conquer hell.
Should I kill everything on the surface? I already have 1k kills.
Yes but then the three children hanging off her will catch fire.
And that's stopped people before...?

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 11:39:00 am »

Dragons/hydras really need metal scales or something.  I just felt embarrassed saving these civilizations from terrifying behemoths after a few rounds of combat.

It is nice that our adventurers start out with stats that are actually conducive to being an adventurer.  I'm sure someone out there is disappointed they can't play a weakling with a chronic cold.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.