Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: [Community] The Last Stand.  (Read 3593 times)

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] The Last Stand.
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 04:35:43 pm »

Migrants! That's very surprising to say the least.

A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 04:45:52 pm »

ahh so not a lineage game. Darn, those can be fun sometimes. Wonder if you'll get a caravan, depends on if the wagons can get to you I suppose. Though my experiences in 2010 is that they can come at odd times.

anyway, good start :) I'm watching/reading
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 09:33:41 pm »

Can I have a buckler, and be considered a reservist soldier? I'd use my pick in combat of course.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Areku

• Bay Watcher
  • Merry Christmas to all ye landlubbers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 01:29:46 pm »

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big Cheese's logs, 12th Malachite, 5001:
   Today, while looking at our records, I noticed we had some cow cheese. I told Elizar, our main farmer, that there must be some mistake, since we didn't trade for it with any caravans. She told me she had made it herself, with some cow milk. I asked her what the heck she was talking about, and explained how the greatest philosophers back in Machineshimmers had proved definitely that "cow milk" is an abstract and nonexistant item, but she insisted that it could be easiliy made with no tools other than a bucket and a cow.

I dared her to prove it.

She showed me how it's made.

I think I'm gonna puke any minute now.

Big Cheese's logs, 18th Malachite, 5001:
   Duh got all excited about this whole "milk and cheese" thing, and decided to try it.

Better luck next time, but how about trying not to do both at the same time?

Big Cheese's logs, 20th Malachite, 5001:
   We've finally finished building the farm areas, both subterranean and above ground. Here's a little sketch:

They are currently being flooded and muddied, but progress is slow due to distance to the lakes. Luckily, Duh is still trying to deal with that cheese, so she won't notice us carrying bucketfuls of water around. Hopefully.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUN FACTS!

- Initially, our civ screen was totally blank, but after the first migrants came, a dwarven civ appeared there out of nothing!

- Two weeks later, Duh is still trying to milk a mule and make cheese at the same time (and failing)!

- Spartan admired a fine buckler recently. He's been ecstatic.
"And apparently your daughter likes to eat live cats"
                              - Legacy of Fíma succession game, fort two, said by Big Cheese, weaponsmith, about Duh102's daughter. (Not that you know any of these dwarves)

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 03:39:36 pm »

The migrants coming is just a bug. This was supposed to be a lineage game according to logic. The problem is that logic is rare when DWARVEN PHYSICS are present.

Also, I'm positive that milking and making cheese at the same time, or at least trying, is a bug as well. :P

A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 04:18:50 pm »

I'd like a random dorf.
That is a peasant.
Which gets trained up to legendary in some useless skill just for the sake of being a legendary peasant and not doing anything anymore.

Smurf666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2010, 04:32:16 pm »

yay! :D i like scary nightmare fuel monster devils ;D

i wonder how long i will live and what i will die of? :P

remember i will do any job you set for me :)

oh i can't wait for the next update  8)

Areku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2010, 09:33:42 am »

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big Cheese's logs, 21st Galena, 5001:
   Well, the forges and farms are operational now. One thing less to worry with. Also, as I was smelting some brass today, a few worried dwarves came to me, saying that a military should be created to protect us from the titans. I calmly explained that we could not spare any of our personnel, at least not until food supplies had stabilized, but that I'd see what I could do. There must be a way of scaring the beasts off.

Big Cheese's logs, 23rd Galena, 5001:
   My masterpiece is complete, and with it, comes the solution to our defense problem: A huge brass statue of a giant turtle demon. I'm not quite sure why I made it a turtle, but hey, it's pretty menacing. Now we just need to put it in front of our gates and everyone will think it is a real brass demon and run away! Am I not a genius? *laughter*

Big Cheese's logs, 23rd Limestone, 5001:
   Last month was uneventful. Farms are going well, Duh seems to have got the hang of milking. Also, I made another statue, this one of a dwarf and a titan fighting, to keep our turtle company. Other than that, nothing worth noting happened.

Big Cheese's logs, 28th Limestone, 5001:
   Well, I guess that whole tower thing did work, after all, since more migrants have arrived. We are now at 21 dwarves, and I'm building a few copper statues to put on top of the whole structure.

Big Cheese's logs, 29th Limestone, 5001:
   Work has started on the housing areas for the newcomers. One of them, however, is a bit... peculiar. LordSlowpoke is his name, and he claims to have come here with a single thing is his mind: to become an expert in doing the least useful task ever. Yeah. Well, hopefully we'll be able to turn this obssession of his into something profitable. I'm archiving his profile here:

Big Cheese's logs, 12th Sandstone, 5001:
   Well, Slowpoke has become a pump operator, and seems pretty happy about it. Useless for us, since there is so little water here (thank Armok), but yet...
What a curious feeling... Something... Inside my head... It's... It's...
SHADOWS! Flowing over the edge reaching the minds inside (not many - but THE ONE) rumbling, trapped into this prison of flesh, get out get out getoutgetoutgetout GET OUT! A body of metal and fire cast from the depths of the womb of the mother earth (compressed farewell) once great now no more, make mind into material material materialmaterial the goddess wanders the halls must do something about it... CURSES! She commands it commands me command metal - must do something about SYMMETRY! Hah!

Expedition Leader Edem's logs, 13th Sandstone, 5001:
   I fear we might have run into some trouble. Big Cheese seemed to be a pretty capable and dependable manager, but since last night, there's been something wrong with him. He just roams the halls, grabbing whatever raw materials he can, mumbling random words and yelling prophetically about everything and anything he sees. What kind of madness is this?!

Big Cheese's logs, 16th Sandstone, 5001:
   Dimolkacoth Moshnúnotung... Lurkedconfined the Suicidal Shock. That is the name of what I built. I can barely remember what happened... The others told me that I did not seem myself while I was crafting it. If so, then it must be one of those "possessions" I had heard of. A spirit must have been trapped inside my body, and could only escape by creating a new body for itself, inanimate or whatever. But if so, why choose me? And moreover, if this is the essence of a great spirit's soul, then WHY THE CARP IT IS A SHOE? And you can't even wear it, with all those spikes coming out of it! At any rate, I'm gonna move them to my bedroom inside the tower.  Leaving them alone is a bit unsettling for me. What if it is an evil spirit what inhabits it. Must keep an eye on it, that's for sure.

Big Cheese's logs, 28th Sandstone, 5001:
   I've decided our fortress is big enough to need an army. A certain mr. Smurf is our new militia commander, and already training. He strikes me as a capable fella, but has some strange tastes... I don't really know what's to like in a demon, even more so in a boiling demon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MORE FUN FACTS!

- Surprisingly, Big Cheese had the first strange mood. However, since it was a possession, the item is useless and worth only 4000 bucks, I think this was the worst artifact I've ever had! Well, maybe it'll have some narrative importance or whatever. :P

- Slowpoke is still running the pump. I think I'm gonna build a power station around him, he seems to never get tired.

- Even though we have a civ now, the caravan refuses to come. Dang.

- Legacy of Fíma succession game, fort two, said by Big Cheese, weaponsmith, about Duh102's daughter. (Not that you know any of these dwarves)

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2010, 10:03:50 am »

err, smurf got the militia commander spot? ;( I suppose you needed me more for mining than military, but was kinda hoping.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Smurf666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2010, 01:54:03 pm »

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big Cheese's logs, 28th Sandstone, 5001:
   I've decided our fortress is big enough to need an army. A certain mr. Smurf is our new militia commander, and already training. He strikes me as a capable fella, but has some strange tastes... I don't really know what's to like in a demon, even more so in a boiling demon.

i'm the militia commander? :o

SWEET! ;D

sorry Haika :-[ better luck next time, maybe you could be my seconed in command or something? and when i die i'll let you be in charge ;)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 01:57:37 pm by Smurf666 »

Areku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2010, 05:01:51 pm »

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big Cheese's logs, 13th Timber, 5001:
   So it turns out that Slowpoke got a little too eager to become the best pump operator ever, and ended up flooding a small section of the forest. That would be OK, if he had't been dragged by the water's flow right into a lake. I told Smurf to go get him back, but he tripped over his own feet and fell into the lake too. I then told Haika to go dig a ramp out of the lake to save them, and he splashed into the water just like the others had done. A few minutes later, and there were eight dwarves drowning in the lake. I had to put the matter into my own hands and operate the pump until the water level had been reduced enough for those poor sods to crawl back out. We're gonna have to change our pump setup a bit, it seems.

Big Cheese's logs, 25th Timber, 5001:
   Erm. I think I might have been a little too busy decorating my quarters, since I kind of overlooked our food supplies a bit. There are a few starving dwarves, nothing we can't handle with some wild strawberries and the like, right?

Big Cheese's logs, 25th Timber, 5001:
   Winter has come, and our stocks dwindle. I fear that we may have to slaughter some of our livestock to survive. But I'll try to keep going a bit further, maybe we won't need to take such extreme measures.

Big Cheese's logs, 12th Moonstone, 5001:
   OMGOMGOMGOMG it's come. We all knew it was gonna come. Issun, the hill titan, a foul beast beyond our worst nightmares. Words are not enough to describe it, so I asked one of our engravers to make a sketch of it here. I think he's quite proud of it:

I have to stop writing now. Our very survival is at stake. Today we crash... or crash through.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will our heroes survive the evil mite's onslaught? Will they be able to defeat it? Is cheese part of a healthy diet? The answers to those and other questions lie on the next chapter of THE LAST STAND.

Smurf666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2010, 01:06:56 pm »

lol thats awesome ;D

Areku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2010, 03:46:58 pm »

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, this was SO. ABSURDLY. UNEXPECTEDLY. AMAZINGLY. AWESOME. It would TOTALLY warrant it's own ELFING thread. Because it is UNBELIEVABLE, like it totally DOESN'T HAPPEN. Smurf, I believe you're now partying with Cacame and Ironblood in the dwarven Valhalla, since you've died the most CARPING dwarven death possible.

DROWNING IN FREAKING MAGMA. Not burning, drowning. With only light brown wounds. Hell yeah.

And now that I've got your attention, let's go, shall we?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Events of the 13th of Moonstone, 5001:

The sentries came back to the fortress, yelling "MITE!" as they did so. Everyone hid on the lower levels of the fort. No one dared to make a sound.

The mite however, did not seem particularly interested in attacking, and just milled around the entrance for a while.

Big Cheese came over to Smurf and said "Mr Smurf. I believe you are our only dwarf trained in battle." The recruit just nodded."And as such, it is your duty to defend us against any and all threats" He nodded again in agreement. "Very well. Now, there is a giant evil being at our gates, and..."
Smurf's face froze in an empty stare.
"Giant evil being, you say?"
"Erm, yes, but-"
"It's Gargamel, isn't it?"
"Actually, no-"
"Don't you dare lie to me! I know it is Gargamel! GARRRRRGAMEL! TODAY YOU MEET YOUR DOOM!"
Big Cheese could only stare in awe as the untrained, unarmored dwarf ran to battle.
"He's a goner." Mumbled Geti.
"Maybe not, he's got an axe!" Replied someone else.
Geti just pointed at an axe left lying over one of the tables, with the words "Property of Commander Smurf" written on it.
"Armok help him."

Smurf found the beast Issun over a mountain peak, chasing goats.
"Foul beast of Gargamel! I shall remove you from this world, forever!"
The monster just stared back, drooling venom through its gigantic maw.
Smurf charged at the monster.
The monster charged back at smurf.
The battle began. Smurf punched the titan in the body.
The titan's exoskeleton instantly broke, tearing through it's flesh and making it's guts spill out like spaghetti.
And then smurf just seemed to be dancing around, breaking one after another of the beast's legs. In return, he only received a bruised left arm.

The battle continued for hours: the evil being, now wary of the danger Smurf presented, was fighting more carefully, not hitting the dwarf but not being hit in return. Smurf was still mostly untouched. All the other dwarves had now exited the fortress and were watching the onslaught. The mite saw an opportunity in this: he might not be able to defeat this warrior, but he could at least kill as many of the others before being struck down.
It threw Smurf back with a mighty swipe of it's leg, and charged towards the fortress. The militia commander tried to catch it, but the creature used it's six remaining legs to skim the land as fast as a lion in pursuit.
"I'm losing him!" Yelled Smurf. "Someone stop him!" but the other dwarves were paralyzed with fear.

Somewhere inside the fortress, a copper shoe began to glow.

Issun, now having almost reached the fortress, felt something was wrong. He looked around in search of the dwarves, but his vision was foggy and clouded. Only one thing was distinct: A huge turtle demon, made entirely of brass, looked at him with fire in it's eyes. Issun stopped. He was going to destroy it. He HAD to destroy it. He stumbled and fell, and then dragged himself to the metalic reptile. It just stayed there, staring. Issun saw red. He thrusted his front leg through the thing's head, but it just bounced back. He leaped over the demon, biting it, striking it, trying to poison it, and failing. A sudden despair struck him. He stood there, montionless. How could he consider fulfilling his mission if a mere turtle was impervious to his attacks? He howled like a wounded wolf, and was only brought back to reality when he noticed that Smurf was breaking another one of his legs.

Smurf had not believed it when he saw the titan break it's charge to topple a statue, and the stay there attacking the said object. But it was an opportunity he could not waste. He leapt over the beast, attacking it with all his might, and the battle began once again. It seemed as smurf had got the upper hand, but suddenly the beast struck him so hard that he was sent flying.

Right into the volcano's crater.

Everything stopped. Even Issun ceased his attack to look in awe as the dwarf plunged into the magma pipe.
Smurf could see the magma getting closer every second, and was ready to die a burning death as soon as he touched the molten surface. Suddenly, however, a voice boomed inside his head.

"Use the Force, Smurf!"

And, at that moment, he realized what he had to do. He let out a mighty roar, closed his eyes, and plunged into the abyss. And he fell faster, and faster, and faster. At that moment, however, the laws of physics were busy calculating the square root of pi, and he didn't stop accelerating even after he reached terminal velocity, eventually going so fast that the magma didn't even notice he was there and forgot to burn him, and so he fell through the molten rock unscathed. And he kept falling for a good four or five minutes, because the volcano went all the way to the CENTER OF THE EARTH.

While he was falling, he waved at a magma man. The magma man waved back.

And then, all of a sudden, he reached a great magma sea, and used his DWARVEN TELEPATHY powers to send what he was seeing to everyone else on the fortress. And he said:

"Behold! The Great Magma Sea!"

"Behold! A carpload of minerals!"

"Behold! The end of the volcano!"

And then, he should have splattered on the ground, but the law of gravity had taken a break to read the unabridged edition of Pride and Prejudice, so he just floated to the floor unharmed. And then, of course, he noticed he had forgotten to breathe for the last minutes. "Maybe now is a good time to start", he thought.

Bad move.

Right before he drowned to death (OK, maybe the internal bleeding helped it a little bit), he yelled this:

"Haika! Don the buckler! BE THE COMMANDER!"

And that was the end of Smurf.

At that moment, Haika knew what he had to do.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*****DISCLAIMER:*****

All the stuff I described here really happened (except the dialogues and the shining shoe, of course). The mite really attacked, Smurf really managed to break it's legs open with a punch, it really stopped fighting all of a sudden to try toppling the turtle statue several times, allowing Smurf to get a jump on him.
Smurf really fell through the magma pipe unharmed, a magma man tried to attack him but couldn't move fast enough, he really discovered the magma sea (how the others knew of it I'll never know), he really fell 168 Z-levels unharmed, and even if the game described the cause of his death as "internal bleeding", he had only light brown injuries, so I have to figure he drowned.

I DID NOT savescum to achieve this result. It was pure dumb luck.

This is why I freaking love DF. Made my day forty-two times more awesome in a couple of minutes. :3

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2010, 04:54:56 pm »

That is the dwarfiest death ever. ;D I can't even begin to add to the description you left. Big bug, but seriously, death by drowning IN MAGMA!

I think Toady needs to add a melting point for animals for realism, instead of causing injuries. Because dying in magma means burning the skin, melt the fat, and then wait for one to bleed out. But that happens in any fire.

Still, DORF DEATH OF THE CENTURY!

No journal entry from Elizar Groupletter reflecting on the situation, she's not a risk-taker, so she's hiding and unable to write because Issun is still alive. :P Let me know if you would rather that I don't add any journal entries to the story.

Smurf666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2010, 08:29:13 am »

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!  ;D

Now THAT! is an Epic Death! I am well pleased by that, my life/death? is now complete :D

Gods i love Dorf Fortress  8)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 08:38:41 am by Smurf666 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4