Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: [Community] The Last Stand.  (Read 3592 times)

Areku

• Bay Watcher
  • Merry Christmas to all ye landlubbers!
    • View Profile
[Community] The Last Stand.
« on: April 06, 2010, 07:56:24 pm »

First of all, let me get this right. Community fortresses are the ones that a player makes and shows to the community, allowing others to be dorfed and behold the HFS madness that ensues, am I correct? If so, let's continue.

And, so that you can all understand what the heck I am talking about, a small summary of the events so far:

Long long ago, when I had just discovered DF, I decided to name all of my seven starting dwarves after videogame characters before embark, just for the sake of it. Then I hit the "e" key. Just as the "Strike the earth!" message vanished, everyone was eaten alive by skeletal carp. Except one. My trader/bookkeeper was, single-handlely, holding off the swarm of undead that emerged from the river. His name was Big Cheese. (Y'know, the village chief from RE4.)
He survived, with over thirty kills under his name. But few migrants came, and all of them were slain by the evil fish before reaching safety. And so he lived alone on the wilderness for over eight years, building a huge fortress on his own, complete with a self-powered pump stack to breach the three-level aquifer. Then he found adamantine, and the king came. To a fortress populated by a single dwarf. (And his pet mule, who he'd found on the wilds several years before.)

From that day on, I vowed that every time I made a fortress, the most awesome dwarf would be named Big Cheese.

Time passed on, and I took a break from DF. A lot later, me and a few other guys from the Data Realms forums (more specifically Duh102 and Geti) decided to do a succession game. It was a total disaster, to say the least, with fort after fort being destroyed by tantrum spirals or random crashes, but boy was it fun. The last fort had a pretty unusual characteristic: our civ's king was an elf. My dwarf, as you may have imagined, was named Big Cheese. In the end, we gave up on the whole thing, but not before writing some pretty little stories about how our dwarves were actually exiles, sent away as slaves for discovering the true identity of the king, but who had escaped and built themseves a whole fortress. It was kinda cool, really, and the end of that story... is the begginning of this one. Prepare to be amazed, bedazzled and otherwise estupefied as we strike the earth! (Ok, maybe not bedazzled.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROLOGUE: The Edge

A small boat rocked in the stormy sea. On the deck, three dirty and soaked dwarves fought not to be thrown overboard.
"Mr. Geti! "  Yelled one of them, "How long 'til we get there?"
"I'd like to tell ye, Cap'n, but I cannae make heads or tails of this bloody map!"
"Curses! Miss Duh, how much supplies have we got left?"
"A cheese Cap'n!
"Aye, but how much of it? A barrel, a stack?"
"The records just say Cheese[1], Cap'n!"
"Cow cheese?"
"Dwarven cheese, Cap'n!"
"Great Scott! Then be sure to make a roast out of it when we find some dry land! And stop a-callin' me Cap'n, will ye?"
"Aye aye, Cap'n!"

Big Cheese cursed under his breath. It had already been three weeks since they left the port of Machineshimmers, and still no sign of land. He cursed the name of Fíma Lamaamala, elven king of dwarves, and cursed the day he had been sent to exile. If only that pesky liaison had not told everyone in the mountainhomes that he was building an undercover fortress in the southern dunes, he'd probably be in his grand office, and not sailing this pathetic excuse for a ship. Of course, when he'd seen the king's army standing at the gates, he knew that he could either surrender and be imprisoned for life, or run away to the distant edges of the land. But maybe he'd gone a bit too far this time. His destination's name was the Edge Of The Map.

No one had ever gone there and returned. No one had ever gone there, period. But he knew that, once there, he'd be finally free from the evil king's plan. And so he kept going forward. "Well." He thought, "At least I've got the two most trustworthy dwarves I've ever known to help me! This can't be that bad, can it?"
Then he saw Geti pass out once again from seasickness, while Duh just stared at him, with a definitely murderous look in her eyes.
"Right, maybe it can be that bad. Miss Duh, don't you dare try to drown 'im again! That's the third time in two days!"
"Aww, Cap'n! Ye know how I feel when there's this much water around! At any rate, are we still far from the Edge?"
"Eh, I en't got the faintest idea! For all I know, it could be right under our feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet..."

He kept yelling that as they fell from the edge of the world.

CHAPTER ONE - Brave new world

Taken from the logs of Edem Kalanvabok, expedition leader:

For five thousand years, we, the Dwarves, have walked upon the Obeisant Continent, and for those five thousand years, we have been getting closer and closer to our end. Since we first set foot in here, we have been attacked by evil beasts and fell monsters, and many times we've barely escaped from total destruction. Many others have tried to survive here as well, and all of them, man, elf and goblin, have failed. We have only lasted this long by hiding under the earth, but now we are not safe even there, as demons and other monstrosities continuosly break through our mining shafts. Our kings have been killed, our fortresses laid waste to. No one alive remembers having a place they could call home. Over the course of the last two years, I've seen my band of warriors have its numbers reduced from thirty to fifteen, and then to ten, and then to four. We roam this ravaged wasteland, trying desperately to keep what little dignity we have left, perpetually running away from the ravenous titans. We might as well be the last ones of our race, as we haven't seen anyone else alive in months. However, we may have received a sign. A sign from the great Armok, telling us to keep on and try to survive. While searching the southern coasts for food, we came across three castaway dwarves, who claim to have come from a land far beyond the Edge of the World (whatever that means). Now we are seven, just like the seven who, legend has it, first claimed this land. Armok has spoken. We shall not give up! We shall rise once again, under the great basalt peaks of the Sizzling Point, and show to the demons outside that the Dwarven race is not dead yet!
We are the Lone Wanderers, and this... This is our Last Stand.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah, this is it. Hopefully I'll be able to keep it interesting and not let it crumble to dust too soon. Because, due to some worldgen fiddling, this world has a thousand titans, and no wealth/population requirements for attacks. It also lacks a dwarven civ, so I'm not even quite sure how it let me embark. Maybe it's because the civ is there, even though everyone in it is dead. Oh well.

As usual, dorfing is on a first come first served basis, so be prepared.

(And, since this is my first comm fortress, don't be too hard on me, OK? :P )
"And apparently your daughter likes to eat live cats"
                              - Legacy of Fíma succession game, fort two, said by Big Cheese, weaponsmith, about Duh102's daughter. (Not that you know any of these dwarves)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] The Last Stand.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 08:34:50 pm »

I shall take a dwarf.
Name him/her Argonnek.
Profession: Mechanic
Let there be megaprojects!

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 08:46:27 pm »

Ahh, a lineage game, don't expect dwarven migrants or caravan if there isn't any dwarven civ.

Sign me up, I'll take a male, maybe a miner/militia commander
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

carpfishmantis

• Bay Watcher
  • [SHARK] [FLIER] [SIZE:1600]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 08:57:30 pm »

I'd fancy a dwarf. make me a stonecrafter or miner, whichever one you want. female if possible, named tholtig.

Gyron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 09:00:41 pm »

Sign me up

Male
Profession: Equal Parts Weaponsmith, Armorsmith, Blacksmith, Metalcrafter, Furance Operator
Call him Gor

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 11:16:07 pm »

A hunter/ butcher for me, please.
Name; Wolfe

There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 04:04:49 am »

Oh wow a lineage game! I've always wanted to do those, but my time for DF is very little, and I refuse to play the new version now, riddled with all that bugs, such as fat boiling away in magma while not killing someone.

No migrants or caravans from anyone. What age is it? I've always been curious as to what kind of situation makes what age? Is it Age of [Titan] or Age of Death?

Also:
Name: Elizar
Profession: Farmer (someone has to feed the fools)
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 04:18:21 am »

Male miner named Spartan.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 04:30:09 am »

Wait - how will you survive? No water, no soil = no farmin. Also no trees... and no trading.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 04:44:04 am »

Wait - how will you survive? No water, no soil = no farmin. Also no trees... and no trading.

We'll embark with a ton of booze and hope to god it rains. Of course, we'll need to build tons of statues and engravings to avoid tantrums.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 05:51:03 am »

Can't embark in that spot shown anyway, as you must have at least one non-mountain square to embark.

Even so, with the new underground, water, mud/soil, and trees are all found if you dig far enough. Sand/glass might be an issue if a mood requires it, but other than that any spot should do.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 11:49:07 am »

Can't embark in that spot shown anyway, as you must have at least one non-mountain square to embark.

Even so, with the new underground, water, mud/soil, and trees are all found if you dig far enough. Sand/glass might be an issue if a mood requires it, but other than that any spot should do.

Does the embark anywhere utility work in the new version? That would allow him to embark there. Granted, he would get no traders or invaders.

Areku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 11:55:32 am »

It's not a 100% mountain embark: two of the squares in the south are a forest, you just can't see it because I had already embarked when I made that pic. (copied the folder and abandoned) And I think I can get some water from the murky pools, just gonna need a lot of buckets. And it's still the age of myth, even though everyone's dead.

At any rate, dorfing now. Next update should be sometime later today.
                              - Legacy of Fíma succession game, fort two, said by Big Cheese, weaponsmith, about Duh102's daughter. (Not that you know any of these dwarves)

Smurf666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 01:15:16 pm »

can i have a dwarf please  ;D

any job will do  :)

i'll go by Smurf
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 01:17:00 pm by Smurf666 »

Areku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 03:59:09 pm »

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Big Cheese's logs, unknown date:

Yes! We did it! Dry land, finally! As if things couldn't get any better, we came across a small band of dwarves, who agreed to let us travel with them.

Big Cheese's logs, unknown date 2:

Things are not as good as I had imagined. It seems that, in this island, dwarves are an endangered species, being constantly attacked by monsters I had never heard of before. Curses. Well, at least I've managed to convince most everyone that it should be safer to find a place to settle down instead of just roaming around the wilds. According to the map I've been shown, there seems to be a pretty safe place on a mountain called "The Sizzling Point". We are currently en route to it.

Big Cheese's logs, unknown date 3:

We have finally arrived. The mountain's surroundings are pretty devoid of life, but seem a decent enough place to build a fortress. And it is far from the sea, so I don't think we'll have any trouble with Duh. There is also a small forest to the soutwest, something worth taking note of:

A small magma pipe was also discovered, but since it is deep within a crater, we might have some trouble reaching it. Now, time to make ourselves a fort, right?

Big Cheeses's logs, unknown date 4:

Frankly, I'm getting tired of writing "unknown date" in my logs, but no one here knows which month we are in. At any rate, we've completed a small storage area, and are now building a courtyard above the magma pipe's crater. I've scribbled a map of it here:

A cistern and farming zone are also being finished, but I'm still unsure of how I'm going to fill it. Perhaps a few bucket carriers going to the forest will do the job. I just need to be sure that Duh isn't among them. I wouldn't want any... accidents to happen.

Big Cheese's logs, 2nd Malachite, 5001:

Well I'll be damned! We thought we were alone in this land, and yet migrants came! Apparently, they are fleeing from a settlement known as the Matched Chamber, which was recently destroyed by evil beasts. None of them are really skilled in anything, but at least one of them knew what day today is. I've ordered the building of a lodging tower to house them all. Meanwhile, I've taken a few notes about them, I might find them useful later:

And my own profile, along with my loyal companions', just because:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note to the ones dorfed: Most of you couldn't get exactly the jobs you wanted, but I tried to match it as close as possible.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4