Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: [Community] The Last Stand.  (Read 3586 times)

Areku

• Bay Watcher
  • Merry Christmas to all ye landlubbers!
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] The Last Stand.
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2010, 03:17:16 pm »

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The events of some day, Moonstone, 5001, because everyone was too busy fighting a titan to remember the date:

Haika ran to the armor stockpile. It was empty, except for a single item: a dusty, crude wooden buckler, shoved under a pile of garbage. He picked it up and adusted it to his arm. It fit perfectly.
He was ready. He lifted his pickaxe to the skies, and yelled:
"FOR THE SMURFFFFF!!!"
The miner (now miner/militia commander), runned for the lower lodging area, where the beast was wreaking havoc and unleashing it's wrath upon some totally harmless beds and other assorted furniture. "Beast!" He yelled, "Meet the pickaxe of vengeace!"
They fought for several days, until both of them, and the surrounding area, were covered with- well, with whatever Issun's body leaked when he was hurt, because it was white, and creamy, and, frankly, Haika would rather prefer if it was blood or pus or anything, but he couldn't be quite sure of it - but at any rate, the walls were covered with the thing, and several more of the monster's legs were torn open. Haika was still unharmed. He saw an opening, and punched Issun so hard in the stomach that it vomited, covering the valiant miner in the- well, the white stuff. The dwarf felt so ashamed of it that he slapped the monster in the chest, bruising the heart. Another pick strike severed two of it's horns. He then proceded to snap it's jaw open, despite the fact that mites have no jaw. He then struck it on the head once again, tearing through the brain. The beast fell over and, for no apparent reason, began to dissolve into nothing. Haika stood atop what remained of it, and proclamed:

"Your time has come, evil Issun! Any last words?
The monster, surprisingly, was able to talk. Coughing horribly, he answered.
"My name... *cough* is not... *wheeze* Issun..."
"WHAT?! Really?"
"Yes... It is... *cough cough* Innu. Innu RosyIsland... "
"RosyIsland? What a stupid name."
"Yeah, I know. Sucks to be me."

And then he died.

The aftermath:

(Yes, all the white walls are covered in Innu's... Thing. Eww.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OTHER FUN FACTS! (my, don't these just keep coming?)

- For some reason, the game crashed some seven or eight times during this battle. I think it somehow relates with Innu's body disappearing after death, since he was at the same time a megabeast and a vermin.

- Apparently, fighting with pickaxes trains the mining skill, since Haika went from Talented to Great in that job for killing the titan.

- Some good three or five dwarves were constantly running into the monster as the fight raged on: apparently, they were desperate to clean the floors. (Who wouldn't be?)

And just so you know, people, I accept suggestions at which paths the story should take, my imagination is not infinite, you know.

"And apparently your daughter likes to eat live cats"
                              - Legacy of Fíma succession game, fort two, said by Big Cheese, weaponsmith, about Duh102's daughter. (Not that you know any of these dwarves)

Smurf666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2010, 12:45:15 pm »

this fortress is pure win ;D

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2010, 02:00:28 pm »

Indeed.

Areku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2010, 04:58:40 pm »

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The events of 26th Moonstone, 5001:

Haika dragged Innu's mutilated corpse to the fortress's great hall. There, he stood atop it, and started to make a speech.
"Friends! Romans! Countrymen! Lend me your ears! Today, the hope-sizzling monstrosity whose mightyness thee might remeber from ages before that of our own, felled hath been 'twixt the hardened stike of this pick of mine and the relentless power of our comrade Smurf's jump into martyrdom, from which we will forever behoove! I say, thou whom hath shrieked in horror of this collosal arachnid, fear no more! By the power that thee hath bestowed upon me as thy militia commander, I, in a mindnumbingly fearsome battle..."

No one dared to admit they couldn't understand a word of what he was saying, and just stared blankly at him. Big Cheese quickly remedied the situation by making a quick summary of the events:
   Haika and Smurf have killed the ugly thing! All of our problems have been solved! Today, my friends, we dine *Mite brain roast*!
   *General applause and cries of joy*

And so they celebrated and ate mite body parts. For a few years. :3

(Duh went from dabbling to talented butcher just by butchering that.)

Big Cheese's logs, 24th Opal, 5001:
   A month has passed since the beast's demise. Our food crysis has been solved, and most of us are working into rebuilding the parts of the fortress that were destroyed in the battle. Everything seems calmer now, but yet... I am worried. About what, I don't know. I've been having these weird dreams, with bodyless voices that whisper meaningless words... Maybe this whole "Titan" thing has been too much for me. Eh, at least I can eat this positively delicious *mite roast*!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not much has happened since the battle, as you can see. Hopefuly things will get more interesting by the next update.
                              - Legacy of Fíma succession game, fort two, said by Big Cheese, weaponsmith, about Duh102's daughter. (Not that you know any of these dwarves)

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2010, 09:23:53 pm »

I still want a buckler.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Areku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2010, 12:01:10 pm »

You already have a buckler. A +Larch Buckler+, to be precise. You bashed the megabeast with it once or twice, too.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2010, 10:47:40 pm »

I read the account of smurf's death. Did you have temperature on? If so, you may have found a use for dwarven children magma scouts.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2010, 12:42:36 am »

I must be one happy insane dwarf eh?
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.

Areku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2010, 06:33:39 pm »

Yep, you've been ecstatic lately. And covered in mite ichor.  :P

And no, temperature was on. But no need to waste kids, throw some kittens in instead.

Also, I've run into some trouble with DF, so it might be a couple of days 'til the next update.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2010, 09:42:55 pm »

But kittens are a valuable food source!

Areku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2010, 08:31:10 am »

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big Cheese's logs, 22nd Obsidian, 5001:

Some of the citizens are complaining about the fact that Smurf, despite being a war hero, was not given a proper burial. I tried explaining them that his body had melted completely and thus could not be recovered, but they would not yield. So now we're building him a small memorial over the magma pipe. I might help making a statue or two to decorate it, but I'm not really in the mood for it. For some reason, not even my favorite foods or admiring our great decorated doors can keep me from being a bit sad. I don't know why. There must be something, something I'm supposed to do, but I simply can't fathom what.

Duh102's happy diary, 23rd Obsidian, 5001:
   Boss's looking pretty depressed today... I wonder what could be happening? After all this place is so great! Everyone here is so nice, the food tastes really good and our rooms are very comfortable! Hmm. Maybe I'll go make him some cheese, that oughta cheer him up!

Duh102's hidden evil grimoire, 23rd Obsidian, 5001:
   Heh. Cheese is looking real bad. He doesn't even keep a watch over me anymore. Looking at it now, I guess that if he had a small "unfortunate accident", everyone would blame it on him getting melancholic or something like that. This opens quite a range of... possibilities for me. No one would need to know it, right? Yes, no one would need to know it...

Big Cheese's logs, 30th Obsidian, 5001:
   New year's eve. Ah yeshhh... A toast! A toast to all of ushhhh... A toashhtss to this... thiss cursed placesh. Eh. Maybeeeh. Maybeeeh I'va drunk a weeeeee lil' bit moar then I shold hafff.  Shoulda stopped on the... ssshheecond barrel... Ehhhh... Gonna get some shhleeep now... Now it'shh jushht you and me, Misshhter logbook... You, me, and that floating shoe by the bedssssh... Wait...
FLOATING SHOE BY THE BED?!

The events of 30th Obsidian, 5001:
   Big Cheese had just got as sober as it was dwarvenly possible.

He looked at the shoe.

It was floating in the air.

He rubbed his eyes.

It still floated.

"Very well." He said, "This must be some kind of prank, right? Very funny guys, you can stop it now. Just some silk strings tied to the ceiling and..." He waved his hand over the shoe. Nothing.
   "Oh. Well. I guess it really is floating, then. Well, hum, so, what do I do?"
   He heard a low humming sound coming from the shoe, and motioned closer. The sound became a voice.
   "Hello? Is anyone there? Pick up the shoe, would you kindly?"
   Big Cheese held the shoe to his ear, and answered, stuttering a bit.
   "U-uh, hello?"
   "Oh, hi there! I assume you must be Big Cheese, transdimensional traveler?"
   "Trans-what?"
   "Silly me, I keep forgetting that you mortals aren't used to that kind of thing. It means that you have, erm 'fallen off the edge of the world', is that how you call it?"
   "Oh, yeah, I kinda did that once."
   "Great, so you're the right guy! Uh, listen, I've been charged with giving you a message from the higher-ups, so if you could-"
   "Wait wait wait. Who the elf are you, and how the carp do you know who I am?"
   "Aww, you guys are always like that! I don't think I've ever had a conversation that didn't begin with 'who the carp'!"
   "Does that stop you from answering my question?"
   "Hmm, you've got a point. I'm Kulur Fensastpod, tortoise demon extraordinaire, and I'm here on behalf of this guy called Armok, who wanted to talk to you about-"
   "Whoa whoa whoa there. Armok the God of Blood?!"
   "Yeah, I believe that's his title. Now, if-"
   "Wait, if Armok wanted to talk to Me, why didn't He contact me himself? I mean, since He is a god, I figured-"
   "If you would just let me finish! This mr. Blood God is a bit tied up with the local deities, so he asked me to give you a message, since, being a demigodess, I can skip most of the bureaucracy. Now, I would have preferred to go there in person, but I think I did a few wrong turns back in the florests of Gladness a few years ago-"
   "Years?"
   "4996 years, give or take a few."
   "You've spent. 4996 years. Walking through the woods?!"
   "I'm a turtle, silly! Oh, I'm through with this. Just press the heel of the shoe, will ya?"
   "Press it? You mean like this?"

The heel moved to it's new position with a click. Almost immediately, the shoe jumped off of Big Cheese's hand and started emmiting a blinding light in all directions. When the dwarf looked at it again, the shoe was gone: a ghostly figure had taken it's place. It was humanoid, but there was something definitely outlandish about it. And then it spoke.

"Uh, hey, is this thing on? Oh, it's already recording? Great, thanks.  *cough* *cough*  Greetings, o brave one whom has traveled beyond the borders of the world. It is I, Armok, who is talking to you. The island where you now are is going through dire times. Foul beasts have escaped from the Underworld and taken over the surface. Civilization has withered, and so have us, gods, here. Even I have little power over this land, despite being who I am. I have a mission for you, dimensional wanderer. You must- Wait! Have they found us? Cursed local deities! Can't they at least treat the *God of Blood* with proper respect?!  Uh, listen, I would really like to stay and chat with you a bit more, but I'm in a bit of a fix with the locals, apparently they require all gods to have an officially certified temple or something like that to contact mortals, so if you could do me a favor and build one, I'd be much obliged. I'm gonna send you some kind of 'Artifact', or whatever you call it, to contact you... Oh, curses, they're jamming my signal! And don't forget to- *stactic*"

Big Cheese just stared blankly. The figure was gone. He had been contacted by the Blood God. He knew he had asked for a bit of meaning on his life, but this was WAY too much meaning. Like someone had thrown an elephant/hippo hybrid made of meaningstone on his head. He was overflowing with meaning.
   "So, did you like the holo-shoe? I invented it myself!", the shoe spoke again.
   Big cheese didn't hear it, nor would he have cared if he had. He had a temple to build.

Tried to put a bit more of a plot in this post. Did it work? :P

A year! Frankly, I hadn't expected this fortress to last this long! Oh well, here's the map, so you can all celebrate:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8511-ulolsavot

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2010, 07:08:25 pm »

I am loving this so far.

Next wave of migrants, can I get myself a SwordsDorf? Name of Captain Brunch.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2010, 04:05:06 am »

Woo, it isn't dead yet! Release the cats!

Felcis

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes his war leopard, rawr~
    • View Profile
    • RadicalFishGames DevLog
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2010, 05:09:39 am »

Nice game so far. I´m new to this forum (well at least the account is) and I really enjoy reading about the current community games here, especially this one. Great storytelling (Dwarfen telepathy!!)! xD

I´d like being dorfed at the next opportunity:

Name: Felcis
Profession: Leatherworker, Trapper, AnimalTrainer or Speardorf if possible, but anything would be fine

Sir Broccoli

• Bay Watcher
  • Right in the goddamn FACE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2010, 08:28:42 am »

Nice story, I love your Doug Adams style of writing.

I'd also like to request a dwarf:

Name: Broccoli
Profession: Something with a high mortality rate
If sad, apply kittens.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4