Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Pull names of dwarves from Facebook  (Read 5368 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Pull names of dwarves from Facebook
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 12:08:39 pm »

Urist has been ecstatic lately.  Urist dined in a legendary dining room recently.
Urist is a fan of Putting Cereal in the Bowl Before Milk, When I notice 3.14 spelled PIE backwards my mind was blown, 1 MILLION AGAINST RAPE, Hangover Quotes, The Chapelle Show, That Angry Ginger Kid, Youtube, My Chemical Romance, Waking up in the morning feeling like P-Diddy, etc...
Shoes...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 03:06:40 pm »

Urist has been ecstatic lately.  Urist dined in a legendary dining room recently.
Urist is a fan of Putting Cereal in the Bowl Before Milk, When I notice 3.14 spelled PIE backwards my mind was blown, 1 MILLION AGAINST RAPE, Hangover Quotes, The Chapelle Show, That Angry Ginger Kid, Youtube, My Chemical Romance, Waking up in the morning feeling like P-Diddy, etc...

Bomrek and 2 others like this

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2013, 10:57:26 am »

A friend of mine tried this in X-COM. He named his squad members after facebook friends then played on hard ironman mode.

Needless to say, he just ended up killing everyone. It does make you care more, though.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Vlad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2013, 03:28:44 pm »

I wish dwarves had more unique names though. Unless I nickname them I can't tell them apart really and I just keep track of dwarves by their profession, like I remember that it was my one of my fisherdwarves who got killed last siege not oh it was Ursit TickleDaggers or someother wierd dwarven name who got killed.

It would also help if dwarves inherited their last name from their parents instead of just making it up.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2013, 04:55:06 pm »

How long do you think it would take dwarves to make BeardBook?

If you want to name your dwarves better go to your d_init.txt and change
Code: [Select]
[NICKNAME_DWARF:REPLACE_FIRST] to
[NICKNAME_DWARF:REPLACE_ALL]Then enter set ingame nickname to the first and last name of the person you want to 'emulate' and it will show up properly.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 05:02:48 pm by OzyTheSage »

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 06:51:07 am »

How long do you think it would take dwarves to make BeardBook?

If you want to name your dwarves better go to your d_init.txt and change
[NICKNAME_DWARF:REPLACE_FIRST] to
[NICKNAME_DWARF:REPLACE_ALL]Then enter set ingame nickname to the first and last name of the person you want to 'emulate' and it will show up properly.

Uristov карликовый represent!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2013, 10:31:29 am »

I would delete my forum account, remove DF from my computer, quit my job, sell my house as well as all my possessions, and move to Tibet if social media stuck its horrid proboscis into dwarf fortress.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 05:52:45 am »

but more dwarf names is definitelly a good thing, I hate those repeat names

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2013, 10:02:26 pm »

I would delete my forum account, remove DF from my computer, quit my job, sell my house as well as all my possessions, and move to Tibet if social media stuck its horrid proboscis into dwarf fortress.

Aren't you over-reacting just a little bit? This forums benefits from you, and you wouldn't want us to suffer the loss of the great Dunamisdeos, would you?
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 10:03:43 am »

I hate social media inserts BUT it would be nice to be able to insert names into it(Maybe at worldgen; Use custom names? yes. Insert custom names.) without going into the data files

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 02:54:36 pm »

The suggestion forum is unique in that I regularly come in here and see threads that I've posted in, but they're never anything I remember posting. I guess necros are considered more acceptable here?

Anyway, this should have been necro'd during the Kony 2012 thing. We missed a lot of potential jokes by skipping from 2010 to 2013.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 03:41:03 pm »

I would think this would be possible with a DFHack plug-in. You enable it, give your facebook home page, and it uses your friend list (and your friends' friends lists) to build up a web of names, sorted from nearest to farthest. Then it pulls names off the list as new dwarves appear on the map. With extra work, you and your friends might be able to embed some sort of like or appearance tags into your profiles so that the dwarves in game can match the people they are named after. Naturally, these people would rise to the top of the list of selectables.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2013, 04:23:00 pm »

Stoking me ego will get you everywhere forever.

you wouldn't want us to suffer the loss of the great Dunamisdeos, would you?

Sigging this.

But seriously, I would love to be able to insert names. It would add some personalization to everyone's games. The nickname system is fine for now, but it's be nice to see this happen eventually. I just don't want this hooked up to my social media.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 [2]