Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pull names of dwarves from Facebook  (Read 5374 times)

shizzy0

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Pull names of dwarves from Facebook
« on: April 06, 2010, 05:46:12 pm »

I'd like to suggest pulling names for dwarves from some social networking site.  I did this by hand on one occasion and it added a lot to the story.  I felt worse when a dwarf named after my girlfriend died; I felt mad even!  Likewise, it influenced how I played when not-so-close-friends were in jeopardy.  It made it easier to allocate roles too because the dwarves were differentiated in my mind more.  I suggest that there be some text file where a player can list names they'd like to be given to dwarves.  A separate application can scour a social network to grab the names.  What do you guys think?

Nogford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pull names of dwarves from Facebook
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 05:49:32 pm »

Jesus Christ. Either you're taking the piss or you're one of the worst human beings I've ever come across.

shizzy0

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 07:16:17 pm »

I'm being completely earnest.  If that makes me the worst human being you've come across, your lower bound on humanity is not very low. 

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 07:19:02 pm »

What do you guys think?

I think it breaks immersion, is silly, and that Dwarf Fort shouldn't need to read people's social networking stuff.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 07:20:57 pm »

There is ONE element of this I do like.

It would be nice if I could input names into a .txt in the DF folder, and have the game look there for names. I always rename my dwarves, even if I don't really want to. I get tired of the repeat names, and the impossible to pronounce names. So for me, it would actually be nice to just drop names into a .txt file whenever I come up with them, and know that I'll see them on my dwarves at some point. (Hopefully with the right genders...)

As for DF connecting to the internet to get names...uh, no.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

shizzy0

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 07:36:37 pm »

I'm glad we all agree that "A separate application can scour a social network to grab the names."   ;)

Valdemar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 09:47:05 pm »

If you get past the "social network" part in the title, having a text file to automatically name your dwarves from sounds pretty good. Is there perhaps an updated utility capable of doing this? Dwarf Companion certainly can, though it hasn't been updated for DF2010 yet.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 09:53:45 pm »

It could be a cool feature to have a text file with some chosen names in it. Definitely help with Video Game Caring Potential, or if one felt like having the good Captain Ironblood show up somewhere.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 05:45:44 am »

You would put an actual person into Dwarf Fortress!? The place where people drown dwarves in magma for fun!? I applaud you sir.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 06:44:03 am »

That's horrible.And I didn't misspell "hilarious".I meant horrible.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

kurokikaze

• Bay Watcher
  • Man of the black wind
    • View Profile
    • Mechanical World
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 06:55:14 am »

Whoa, that's some crazy idea.

Also, I think for people names this is actually fun. Maybe human liason named after your FB friend (drown him in magma!:)). But for dwarves human names just won't go.

Also, YMMV.
It's black as pitch 'cause we're trapped by our violent souls
In a deep mine, where deep rhymes won't keep my self-control
Too many foes, we feel snakebit, and we won't take it
Enemies need their face hit, we goin' ape shit!

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 11:39:09 am »

Ingrid McLiaison has poked you. Hit Space to return the poke.
Ingrid McLiaison invited you to negotiate imports. Hit Space to accept, or Shift+Space to ignore.
You need the Trade application to trade with the other dwarven city. If you choose to accept it, it will gain insight into your personal information. Hit Space to accept or Shift+Space to ignore.
Ingrid McLiaison invited you to negotiate imports. Hit Space to accept, or Shift+Space to ignore.
Ingrid McLiaison has been blocked.
Ingrid McLiaison2 invited you to negotiate imports. Hit Space to accept, or Shift+Space to ignore.
Ingrid McLiaison2 sent you a message.
Ingrid McLiaison2 has poked you. Hit Space to return the poke.
Ingrid McLiaison2 invited you to negotiate imports. Hit Space to accept, or Shift+Space to ignore.

etc. etc. etc...
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 01:16:21 pm »

I find this suggestion hilarious. Toady should dedicate next April 1 for hilarious things like this.

atomicthumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 01:56:29 pm »

Urist McFarmer has watered your crops!

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 12:02:29 pm »

making new names isn't that hard to do.
Spoiler: example (click to show/hide)
-it just takes just a really long time

Be warned though that names are not gender or syntax specific, and can result in ridiculous names, like 'Jim Johnsmith' or 'Smith Maryjohnson' -remember that the dwarves are used to names like 'Dagger Canyonpipe'
'Urist'. 'Sodel', 'mestthos', etc will still be in there if you don't delete [SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:ARTIFICE] and [SELECT_SYMBOL:REMAINING:EARTH]. the only way to remove all dwarfish names from the list is to delete all symbol selectors, but that will result in the game only being able to use singular noun compounds for forts/wars/roads -naming them like people
so, the whole mess isn't really worth it.

Spoiler: irrelevant grumbling (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 12:04:48 pm by Chronas »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.
Pages: [1] 2