Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick Question: Modding non-binnable items to be binnable?  (Read 1194 times)

Gobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quick Question: Modding non-binnable items to be binnable?
« on: April 06, 2010, 04:30:20 pm »

I, like many others, am tired of having gargantuan stone stockpiles simply because stone can't be put in bins. Same goes for wood.
Primarily my concern is actually being unable to store things like bones and skulls in bins, thereby making my refuse stockpile gigantic just so I can keep shells and stuff around for crafts.

So the question here is, is there any way to allow bins to be used with items and stockpiles that normally CANNOT use bins? Can I condense my refuse/stone/wood stockpiles with clever editing?

On the same subject: It was hard enough figuring out the old custom stockpile settings, but the new ones are even worse. How am I supposed to make a stockpile for craftable goods like teeth, bones, skulls, scales, shells, ivory, horns, etc., that doesn't also accept rotting items like body parts, torso halves, and so on? The only thing I can see to narrow down 'refuse' now is "by monster type" which is pointless, and there's still no "organic craftables" option for other stockpiles, so useful stuff like ivory is still considered "refuse"!

Sorry if this all has been asked already but I searched around and couldn't find anything unless it was buried under some obscure topic name.
You'll never be able to look at the chains in your Fortress the same way again.

Upright Path

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Question: Modding non-binnable items to be binnable?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 05:07:53 pm »

No, not really. Though, in theory you could add a 'dummy' metal to the Raws, called 'Stack of X', then create a reaction that takes some number of the object and turns them into a Stack of Object, then another reaction that takes a Stack of Object and turns them into that number of objects.

In other words, a lot of work.

Currently ITEM_TOKENS, which define the broadest type of the item, such as stone, bar, block, wood, weapon, etc., are hard coded as to whether they can be placed into bins or not.

Gobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Question: Modding non-binnable items to be binnable?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 05:13:34 pm »

Currently ITEM_TOKENS, which define the broadest type of the item, such as stone, bar, block, wood, weapon, etc., are hard coded as to whether they can be placed into bins or not.
Well, that's all I needed to know.
Damn shame, though.  :-\
You'll never be able to look at the chains in your Fortress the same way again.