Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thoughts on the new farming complications  (Read 2842 times)

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Thoughts on the new farming complications
« on: April 06, 2010, 04:27:06 pm »

I'm going to break away here, and claim that I do, in fact, like the changed farming system. : )

Yes, having to irrigate all surfaces is rather annoying, but with the new cave systems, it's perfect. Muddy ground is dirt cheap, as is renewable and secure wood resources, but it carries with it the obligation of having a militia constantly on patrol against critters from the depths.

It adds an element of fictional depth to the game, and keeps even an otherwise secure fortress interesting (and, easily, quite Fun.)
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on the new farming complications
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 04:36:17 pm »

I dont so much mind it...but with above ground farming being so drastically different (all year round plants and no irrigation requirements) makes it seem like its almost just being discouraged. I do wish that you could make farmable land with buckets (eg get water and dirt from above and create farmable land)....that would be more realistic than the current "get it wet" method

Gidoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 04:50:36 pm »

I personally want to see dwarven hydroponics.

"Urist, what's with this swimming pool?"

"It's for growing plants in!"

"Wha... That doesn't make any sense! Plants need DIRT, Urist."

"No, no, I swear, it'll work!"

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 04:53:03 pm »

"..."
"Alright, look, I'm just cutting out the middle man here. You don't need to water the fields because the fields are water."
"I suppose that makes sense. But..."
"What?"
"Well, uh, can we apply the old saying here?"
"No Olon, applying magma won't work here."
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 04:56:26 pm »

"..."
"Alright, look, I'm just cutting out the middle man here. You don't need to water the fields because the fields are water."
"I suppose that makes sense. But..."
"What?"
"Well, uh, can we apply the old saying here?"
"No Olon, applying magma won't work here."
You just broke my record for the fastest sig change.

Thor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 05:17:00 pm »

Does mud still seasonal clean? It would be hard to rig a seasonal muddying pump system where I am.
Heroes Of My World.
Astesh Delightinks the Pungent Trust of Towers

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 05:34:27 pm »

Does mud still seasonal clean? It would be hard to rig a seasonal muddying pump system where I am.

I don't think you need to remuddy a soil field. I've has indoor farms going for at 4 seasons straight after the irrigation with no more needed.

backflip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 05:40:52 pm »

I dont so much mind it...but with above ground farming being so drastically different (all year round plants and no irrigation requirements) makes it seem like its almost just being discouraged.

While I haven't had time to try out the new DF for more than a few minutes, from the sound of it I agree with you.  Above ground farming seems to be more encouraged.  If only Dwarves preferred underground crops more; that would help balance the overhead, I think.
No, its realistic.

I dont think realism is a major concern in a game about alcoholic midgets fighting dragons and soapmen.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 05:42:24 pm »

Well, keep in mind that for the time being the muddy soil requirement is still technically a "bug."  Hopefully, if/when it gets implemented as a feature, it'll be cleaned up and fixed up so it's more consistent between surface and underground.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 01:40:59 am »

What -really- sucks, is if you abandon, and reclaim, -every- tile of muddy ground is REMOVED. That means all the caverns are no longer muddy. Adds another headache to reclaiming a large fort. :(

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 02:11:54 am »

I dont so much mind it...but with above ground farming being so drastically different (all year round plants and no irrigation requirements) makes it seem like its almost just being discouraged. I do wish that you could make farmable land with buckets (eg get water and dirt from above and create farmable land)....that would be more realistic than the current "get it wet" method

Just treat the pond creation method of irrigation as your water+dirt buckets, instead of just water ;)

As long as there's a source of water, I've had no significant difficulty muddying a small farm plot so far in the new version.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 02:23:35 am »

Just treat the pond creation method of irrigation as your water+dirt buckets, instead of just water ;)

As long as there's a source of water, I've had no significant difficulty muddying a small farm plot so far in the new version.

Thats what I do now...I spose I should clarify...the thing about it having to be 1 z-level up to get it wet is what really irks me...

lordofhyphens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 11:38:08 am »

Thats what I do now...I spose I should clarify...the thing about it having to be 1 z-level up to get it wet is what really irks me...
Agreed here; two of my fortresses had rivers (which I then used to flash-irrigate, one of the rivers had a sheer drop off the edge... almost had too much fun and drowned everything); for one I'm running right now I had to basically start removing pieces of the pool zone to make sure the water got where I wanted it.
"Extinction is not an option."

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 11:42:16 am »

The easist way to make a constant source of mud for Farming is to Dig out chambers around a small "Pond"
"Ponds are MAGICAL! if you drain the water out into your fields bellow, every time it rains the pond will magically refill and water your crops automatically.

I say "Magic" because if you happen to channel out on your own a, say, 5x5 pit, and it rains, the water almost instantly soaks in.  but somehting that started as a "Pond" water builds up incredibly fast.  So if you dig out a large chamber, every time it rains ,the water will flood your fields
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 12:08:04 pm »

I like the forced irrigation, I think I'm going to keep doing it after the bug is fixed. It usually takes me until summer to get the areas dug out the way I like them, so it makes embark supplies worth worrying about. Due to the amount of labor required to get the farms running, I have to wait until the first migrant wave to assign a fisherdwarf and gatherer, so I'm usually down to less than a round of food left by the time my first puny helmets come up, so it feels like all my CDO micromanagement actually matters for a change!

Also, once you figure out how to do it, irrigation isn't all that hard with running water around. Here's how I do it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.
Pages: [1] 2