Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stones displace liquid  (Read 606 times)

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stones displace liquid
« on: March 06, 2008, 12:32:00 am »

It would be nice to see this. It could be fairly simple to impliment, just disallow one layer of fluid from a tile per stone in that tile, and put something in the status that reflected this, like 3/7 water, displaced by 4 stones.
Some of you are saying, "so what?"
This would have a number of uses. One, it would make the game more realistic. You have to clear out that tunnel if you want water to flow faster.
Two, it would make the damming of rivers much simpler(especially magma channels), as well as the creation of mid-lake/sea fortresses, while not being a drain on FPS.
Three, you could use them to control reservior overflow. Channel that pond, put a few stones on one side leading to whereever you want the excess water to dump, and forget about flooding forever. Similarly, this could be used to fill ponds to full in succession. Also, you could perhaps use them to create a little rock waterfall set for your dwaves to admire. I know that those ones you see in hardware stores are soothing to me.
Four, you could set up some sort of trap where stones fall in a large body of water, drowning any poor saps nearby.
Of course, there would be drawbacks. It could be very hard to remove these once put in, and you'd have to forbid the stones to keep your dwarves from "borrowing" parts of your dams for their little projects.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stones displace liquid
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 01:21:00 am »

You realize of course, that you can put 100000 stones in a single tile, right?

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 02:09:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>You realize of course, that you can put 100000 stones in a single tile, right?</STRONG>

That also needs to be fixed.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 07:35:00 am »

but how?
7 stone in one pile becomes a cube of agregate stone?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 11:22:00 am »

So what? Seven or more stones would block water completely.

Anti-Paragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Clerk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 04:17:00 pm »

It's not difficult to do this with one stone, actually. You just press b, C, w and select where you want the stone to block.  :roll:

Playful jeers aside, I would see this as more of an obstacle than anything. Mostly because I toss all my rocks down chutes to my workshops. 7 stones blocking a tile + dwarfs needing to stand on a tile to pick something up = broken functionality.

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 07:08:00 pm »

I have written long rambling posts about both stone management and water flow, this is a nice crossover. 10 points to anyone who can find both posts.
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 06:27:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Drunken:
<STRONG>I have written long rambling posts about both stone management and water flow, this is a nice crossover. 10 points to anyone who can find both posts.</STRONG>

http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=002591  http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=002538