Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Of living underground, and magma  (Read 1658 times)

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Of living underground, and magma
« on: April 06, 2010, 03:34:05 pm »

Hey all, I would like to try to live totally underground. My problem with this is twofold.

Firstly, wood. I don't think there would be enough would to deal with the ever increasing amount of food and booze. It seems that as my fortresses progress, huge amounts of plants and booze are accumulated, and I don't think I would have enough wood for all of that by using just the wood in caves. How do you work this? There is no alternative to using barrels as far as drinks go, and un-barreled food rots I think. Even if it doesn't the dwarves use the barrels for food anyway as soon as they are made.

Secondly, this is a problem so much of the underground, but of 2010 in general, but what to do with magma? How do you use it? Do you build forges/smelters down there, or do you pump it up? If you pump it up, how?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Of living underground, and magma
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 03:38:01 pm »

Beds are the only thing you really need wood for. With magma and the huge amount of mineral wealth in 2010 you can just make a ton of metal barrels and bins.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

zecro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 03:40:52 pm »

Pump stacks
However,
>Pumps no longer transfer power vertically, so pump stacking is more awkward as now have to build adjacent stack of gear assemblies.[1]

Tower Cap farms.

Huge Tower Cap farms.

Metal barrels.

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 03:52:49 pm »

I've been doing it just fine. I only have 15 dwarves, but we have enough barrels and beds. However this thread may interest you.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 03:58:04 pm »

Psh. I ran pretty successful 40d forts on maps with very little wood and no underground water. You're going to be just fine.
I used to import a lot of logs from the humans, store prepared meals in stockpiles with no barrels allowed (unbarrelled food does not rot in 40d - I don't know about 0.31 - and you can't get more than one big stack of roasts in a barrel anyway), and make extra barrels and bins out of junk metals like zinc and lead.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Stakudomer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 05:20:25 pm »

Psh. I ran pretty successful 40d forts on maps with very little wood and no underground water. You're going to be just fine.
I used to import a lot of logs from the humans, store prepared meals in stockpiles with no barrels allowed (unbarrelled food does not rot in 40d - I don't know about 0.31 - and you can't get more than one big stack of roasts in a barrel anyway), and make extra barrels and bins out of junk metals like zinc and lead.

Mmm.... Lead food barrels.

I haven't tried the new version yet, but I think I may just build my metalworks in a burrow down where the magma is rather than try to figure out how to power all those screw pumps. It would be like having two independent colonies, with the deep dwarves trading weapons and metal goods for food and cloth from their elevationally-challenged brethren. I wonder if it's possible to set up an automated caravan-elevator...

I've been doing it just fine. I only have 15 dwarves, but we have enough barrels and beds. However this thread may interest you.

You used a spoiler tag...to hide a single link?  ???

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 05:26:40 pm »

I don't think trees would be much of a problem. It's probably pretty iffy, but the topmost cavern in my first fortress contained a veritable forest of tower-caps and fungiwood.

It also had two forgotten beasts milling about, which somewhat deterred me from attempting to harvest :(
I would recommend walling off a largeish area and using it as a tree farm.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 06:48:08 pm »

Ok I feel like a total idiot. I've been playing for at least 6 months, and I never knew you could build barrels out of metal. :(

Thanks! Ok so I'll combine metal barrels for booze, no-barrels-allowed piles for food, and large tree farms.

As far as the smelting, still not sure. I think I'll try a few different methods and see what works most efficiently.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 06:51:52 pm »

Barrels actually only take one bar of metal in the new release, which actually makes them VERY much a viable source of storage, especially if you find a decent fuel and copper vein.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 06:57:00 pm »

Tell me about it. Fuel might be a problem considering wood is the problem in the first place, but if I could find some lignite... that'd be awesome.

@UristMcGunsmith Thanks, that mod looks awesome!

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 07:02:27 pm »

if I could find some lignite... that'd be awesome.

you can't find lignite? or coal?

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 07:06:06 pm »

I've got plenty of wood in the caverns my fort inhabits (And the deeper ones, we just don't go down there after we lost a woodcutter to something I can barely describe) but all the "Giant Cave Spider Webs" are starting to make me nervous..
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 07:47:34 pm »

...and make extra barrels and bins out of junk metals like zinc and lead.
JUNK?!
Lead is actually one of the best materials for warhammers now, due to the massive density.
I wonder is lead poisoning is in yet... Somebody mod it in now if it isn't, somehow.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 07:57:48 pm »

...and make extra barrels and bins out of junk metals like zinc and lead.
JUNK?!
Lead is actually one of the best materials for warhammers now, due to the massive density.
I wonder is lead poisoning is in yet... Somebody mod it in now if it isn't, somehow.
You haven' been checking the mod forum lately I take it.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 07:59:02 pm »

@psychoceramics I haven't tried is more the reality ;-)
Pages: [1] 2