Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Reliable source of food?  (Read 3685 times)

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
Re: Reliable source of food?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 09:11:31 pm »

I find it easiest to have two farmer's WSs, one with milk on repeat and one with cheese on repeat
you may want to avoid due to the "work to death" bug, but I haven't had the problem yet
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 06:53:24 am »

I had a problem with milking, my milkable horse was assigned to a cage I set up in the entrance.  Urist McMilker comes and starts dragging it to the kitchen to be milked, all is well, until Urist McDumbass comes and tries to drag it back to the cage...  I had to unassign it from the cage before they would quit trying to tear it in two.

I thought it would have been sensible to milk it while it was inside the cage, rather than take it on a tour of the fortress to see a bucket.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 09:15:33 am »

I had a problem with milking, my milkable horse was assigned to a cage I set up in the entrance.  Urist McMilker comes and starts dragging it to the kitchen to be milked, all is well, until Urist McDumbass comes and tries to drag it back to the cage...  I had to unassign it from the cage before they would quit trying to tear it in two.

I thought it would have been sensible to milk it while it was inside the cage, rather than take it on a tour of the fortress to see a bucket.

I had a similar problem this morning where my dwarves decided to stop doing anything useful because they were all arguing about where in the stockpile each item should go.  Yes, that's right, I had 7 dwarves all grabbing items from the stockpile, and moving them to other spots in the same stockpile.   >:(

ByDurinsBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 10:03:14 am »

At least in 40d, one 5x5 plot, one highly skilled dirt digger, one kitchen and one still was more than enough to keep ~120 dorf fort from ever running out of food and booze. The only reason I would ever build a second farm plot was to grow two crops at the same time without having to micromanage planting.

Airpi

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING:whimsy
    • View Profile
    • I say things. Often.
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 11:43:04 am »

Fishing is still a decent way to get food. I had the perfect pair of migrants show up in my first wave, a fisher and fishcleaner, each at least adequate (don't really remember). Since then they've been busy dragging turtles out of pools and de-shelling them. As of right now my dwarves are running on fat stacks of turtles, letting me convert all plants into booze without having to worry about leaving plump helmets for them or cooking the booze.

Oh, actually, if you have any underground water features (I have to assume there are such things, although I haven't found any yet), I guess that would let you extend fishing for a while.
⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ    ⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 11:48:49 am »

Hi!

Urist McCheeseMaker cancels Make Cheese: Handling dangerous animal.

You sure?
Though oddly, that doesn't cancel the workshop task or even skip it.

Yes, milking is fixed and working fine.

Note, however, that if you have a stockpile that can take milk barrels OR actually milk barrels of the correct type in such a stockpile, the bucket of milk (1 unit) you get will be tasked to be brought to a/that barrel and emptied into the barrel. While that is simply awesome as far as realism goes, it can interfere with a milking - cheesemaking setup. Also note that cheesemaking converts an entire barrel at once IIRC, so it will outpace milking eventually.

The error message seems a bug of clearing up after the milking job. You can get it for any task the dwarf tries to do immediately after milking the animal. But as you noted, it does not cause any further trouble.

Deathworks

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 11:49:13 am »

Be careful about food production... My first year msot of my dwarfs were starving, my farms seemed to give up one helemt at a time and I was always running out of booze.

I responded by building Huge 7x7 farms and had 6 of those.  As more migrants came food production took off as all the seeds were planted.  In a little bit I found that Not only had all my food stores filled up, but my stock scree reported

Plants 900
Drink 2000
Other 1000

THAT happend in the course of less then a few months.  I am now destroying farms and turning as much as my fort as I can just to store it all.  Fort population 38
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 12:08:25 pm »

Fishing is still a decent way to get food....

Unfortunately only if you have  fish in your destination area.
My dwarfs for example had the misfortune of not having any fish in all of the 4 fortresses I built so far.
Not sure abvout the  5th one, as it w as just founded and I usually start without fisherdwarf among  the first 7.

According to the things you hear, no fish sadly seems to ber ather common with DF 0.31.01
But  I agree that in the case that there is fish on the map,  if probably is as reliable as a fod source as before
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 12:15:25 pm by Proteus »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2010, 12:35:57 pm »

Be careful about food production... My first year msot of my dwarfs were starving, my farms seemed to give up one helemt at a time and I was always running out of booze.

I responded by building Huge 7x7 farms and had 6 of those.  As more migrants came food production took off as all the seeds were planted.  In a little bit I found that Not only had all my food stores filled up, but my stock scree reported

Plants 900
Drink 2000
Other 1000

THAT happend in the course of less then a few months.  I am now destroying farms and turning as much as my fort as I can just to store it all.  Fort population 38

Can always sell the food and use it to buy things like metal bars and what not

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2010, 12:40:23 pm »

as booze cooking doesnt work, i've made a single 6*8 (or bigger, i dont have it open to check) farm that makes nothing but plump helmets all year long.

Brews wine and can be eaten raw.

I've not yet set up a hunter, let alone dug deep enough to find underground features, but i at least pick up any meat and fish the caravans bring, so my dwarfs get a bit more diverse diet.

Eventually i'll switch to wheat and sweetpods again, s'far as i remember milling/processing creates seeds (whereas cooking plump helmets doesnt, possibly starving or dehydrating the whole fort)
ATM i just dont feel i can devote any more dwarves to farming jobs.

Airpi

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING:whimsy
    • View Profile
    • I say things. Often.
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2010, 02:47:53 pm »

@Proteus
Geeze, I guess I've just been lucky. I always thought that having murky pools meant that fish of some sort were available, if at least only turtles.
⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ    ⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2010, 09:09:00 pm »

I've never had my dwarves fish, although all my forts have been short so far, having some huge flaw, like an important missing feature, and I just traded for shell-bearing turtles and lobster.

Also a lack of dwarves with the skill (migrants always shared it with other skills like cleaning that made them instant draftees).  Plump helmets were just too efficient.  One fort, I had two growers constantly interrupting my entire fort because everyone would go to harvest and the two farmers couldn't harvest fast enough by themselves.

Also I assumed it was like herbalism.  Searching through 40 or so bushes on the ground and getting a single strawberry, and dragging it to the stockpile before searching some more.  Is it a good source of food in 2010?  I would love to free myself from plots for food and trading for varied meats (to keep dwarves from being frustrated by the same old foods) and shell-bearing animal.
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2010, 09:11:54 pm »

Good news, everyone! My food problem has been dealt with. Now, if only I could build more barrels to put the drinks in..
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2010, 09:24:24 pm »

Herbalism is a pretty serious contender if you've got sand layers on the map; you can mine them out and underground plants will grow pretty quickly in the open space. Loam layers will do it too, but apparently much slower.

This
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
is around a year's worth of growth and about half that z-layer's production, and I send in the herbalists fairly regularly to cull shrub growth. It won't outproduce a decent farming setup, but it'll definitely help supplement your supplies.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 09:44:49 pm »

How many dwarfs and field tiles do you have? If I remember correctly, at least in the 40d version, a good ratio was like 5 tiles of farm per dwarf.

Wait, what? Five tiles *per* dwarf? Highly skilled farmers come close to supporting five *dwarves* per tile. My current fort with a population of around 35 is thriving off of farm plot 23 tiles large, with over a third devoted to pig tail and dimple cup growth.

I'd suggest training a few dwarves in herbalism (On the job training works fine) in order to clear forests of shrub growth, even if you just dump the food into a pit of magma afterward.

It's also possible to feed your entire fort using tamed animals alone, but that takes years to get off the ground. You'd also still have to grow enough plants for booze.
Pages: 1 [2] 3