Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Reliable source of food?  (Read 3684 times)

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
Reliable source of food?
« on: April 06, 2010, 12:51:57 pm »

So my fortress is growing very quickly. And I'm constantly out of food and drink. I have huge farms, but they just can't grow fast enough. The most food I've gotten at once is butchering a cave croc, but those don't show up often. Any ideas on getting more food?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reliable source of food?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 01:05:28 pm »

How many farmers? I've got at most 10(and some of them have other duties), and I'm bringing in crops faster than I can build barrels(which is kind of putting a twist in my booze production :-\) for a ~40-dwarf fort.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 01:07:29 pm »

Make your fields into full fledged farms...get cows to breed and butcher and in a very tight pinch get yourself an experienced herbalist to harvest plants.

How many dwarfs and field tiles do you have? If I remember correctly, at least in the 40d version, a good ratio was like 5 tiles of farm per dwarf.

As for how many farmers you have that is based mostly on there experience.

When I make a fort the first thing I do is often plot a large farm area and plant a 5x5 farm plot every time I feel like I am not making enough food...seems to work with me (I start with 2 or 3 5x5 plots)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 01:10:10 pm by dennislp3 »

glueheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 01:10:03 pm »

If you think your butchers are fast enough, you could always risk 2cat for meat supply.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 01:41:24 pm »

Just go with a breading pair of cows.  No adoption problems and you can milk them and make cheese, too.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 02:18:26 pm »

Wait, milking is fixed now? In 40d only purring maggots could be milked.

And I've had problems with tame animals being butchered, in that they aren't. Better check to see if any of my idlers are butchers...
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 02:19:04 pm »

And of course there are always the FBs who show up occasionally, and supposedly will feed a decent sized fort for a year.

And yes, milking is fixed.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 02:21:53 pm »

Trading seems to be a good way...  Unless you get too much food and not enough barrels.  In which case you'll run out of booze.  And barrels to make booze.  And you can put all of your carpenters and metal workers into barrel production, and they'll never catch up.  And you'll be helpless to watch as your military loses its minds because you stationed them beneath the water and then ran out of leather for waterskins.

well, not helpless.   I could take them off duty.  But I'm willing to let them go insane.  The massacre will be Fun.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 02:29:28 pm »

Stock(p)ile placement -> press '*' a few times to increase the number of "reserved barrels" -> no more booze problems.

This has been around for ages.  Increasing the number of reserved barrels will set aside a certain allotment of barrels that will be kept empty so that they can be used by workshops (I.E., stills).  No more complicated than that.

If you're making vast amounts of sweet pod syrup, then maybe you'd run into some issues...  But it's highly unlikely that you'll be unable to fill at least one barrel with booze, unless you've got ten or so farmer's workshops constantly making syrup.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 02:46:04 pm »

I have to agree with Pope Richard...
Caravans  are your most reliable source for booze and food,
if you have enough space to store it and enough trading goods to buy it,
you won´t need any other source of food/drinks

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 02:54:42 pm »

I'm in a freezing biome with no water ( and the cave is dry too, @#%^ ) and my 14 dwarves live entirely off of food imports, booze and dairy products. I'm even selectively breeding my cattle! I want cream colored cows instead of all these russets to better hide them from predators on the frozen, snowy plains. Also all my cows are roped up around the one cream colored bull and I'm butchering any russet steers. Really, this is awesome. I feel like making a livestock mod.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

2cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 08:43:11 pm »

If you think your butchers are fast enough, you could always risk 2cat for meat supply.

Me?

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 08:49:46 pm »

Oh you.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 08:51:14 pm »

I didn't notice a change in farming compared to 40d. I still manage to feed 80 dwarves with a single 5x5 plump helmet plot and 1 proficient grower.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 09:03:05 pm »

And yes, milking is fixed.
Urist McCheeseMaker cancels Make Cheese: Handling dangerous animal.

You sure?
Though oddly, that doesn't cancel the workshop task or even skip it.
Pages: [1] 2 3