Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Erk's small 0.31 farming mod (rough copy in new posts)  (Read 2289 times)

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Erk's small 0.31 farming mod (rough copy in new posts)
« on: April 06, 2010, 12:27:50 pm »

I'm making a very simple, basic farming mod for 0.31. It should be ready to post this afternoon.

To start with, I've made dwarves outdoor farmers as well so that they can select outdoor seeds on embark. This is just because indoor farming is broken; I don't intend to leave it this way once the bug is fixed.

Next, also as a bug fix, I've made quarry bushes millable instead of leaves. They produce quarry cinnamon, which is more or less the same as leaves were. THis will be reverted too.

I've seasonalised outdoor plants: muck root is winter/spring, bloated tubers autumn/winter, prickleberries spr/sum/aut, strawberries spr/sum, longland grass sum/aut, rat weed year round, fisherberries spring only, rope reed spr/sum/aut, all three dye plants year round, sunberries summer only, whip vine summer/autumn.

Prickle berries can be made into jelly, strawberries into jam, and fisher berries into berry sugar. Hide root dye is the same value as other dyes because there's no way to specify which dye is used so it becomes a headache rather than a gameplay benefit.

I've also added a new plant called the Minaret-Cap. It's farmable, should not appear in shrubs (no guarantees), only comes in clusters of 1, and cannot be processed at any farming buildings. It instead must be taken to a new custom building, the sawmill, where it is converted into minaret-cap logs. Sawmills require saw blades, mechanisms, and blocks to build, and use the woodcutting labour. This whole resource tree is not yet debugged: I intend to make minaret-caps year round but have an extremely long growth time, still shorter than normal trees. Suggestions welcome as this is my first attempt at making a custom plant in this version.

I also intend, eventually, to allow the sawmill to do some other fun stuff, and to produce sawdust powder as a side reaction to everything it does. If anyone can figure out how to make it a powered building, I'd love to hear it.

Suggestions in general would be great. I wouldn't object to adding a few more plants, particularly dyes and perhaps some more farmable wood plants with different colours of wood to use at the sawmill. I don't want to get crazy with the food plants, as there is already plenty of food.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 10:44:06 am by Erk »
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
Re: Erk's small 0.31 farming mod (in devel)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 12:33:52 pm »

I can farm trees now?! How long do they take to grow?

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 03:05:02 pm »

I can farm trees now?! How long do they take to grow?
Technically you can't. However, you can make a custom farmable plant with an associated wood subtype in its raw. You can then make a reaction that turns the plant into wood; I did this in a custom building, but you could also have it done at an existing one, like the farmer's workshop if you want.  What you can't do is make a tree grow from a farm tile and get harvested as a log.

I haven't figured out a grow time for them yet, like I mentioned in the first post. I'm going to play around with some settings.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 04:40:10 pm »

Wait, indoor farming isn't broken, you just need to irrigate.

piesquared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 05:11:05 pm »

Needing to irrigate underground soil has been confirmed as a bug, or so I've been led to believe.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 10:24:26 am »

Yeah, I know. It means farms can't be established early on, though, which means early farms need to be set up outside, which means outdoor seeds should probably be purchasable on embark.

Sorry for the delays on this: I haven't been able to playtest the tree farming growth times yet.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 11:45:08 am »

farms can be build underground early on, just takes a lot more work to do than before.  :'(
I currently have an oceans current pouring over into a channel over leading into my medium sized farming room, on the end of that room is an aquifier which sucks up the rest of the water.
pumping equipment could also be taken on embark.
bucket teams are a decent last resort too, but personally I'd rather avoid doing that myself.

wondering, are the sawblades the serrated blades already usable in traps, or are they a new spinning saw which may or may not be usable in traps?
wondering now if its possible to plant seeds to produce a 'creature egg' more likely a vermin, then convert it in a custom building like a seamonkey maker, which requires water underneath it.

I really wish I knew more about the new tags for reactions.. (runs away to the wiki to see if theres much on them yet)
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 11:52:50 am »

I don't understand what everyone's bithching about the farming anyways. Way way back in 2d this was considered a feature.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 12:16:22 pm »

I don't understand what everyone's bithching about the farming anyways. Way way back in 2d this was considered a feature.
we're all just so used to digging into a patch of clay, loam, sand, or other types of soil, and being able to plop it down right there, opposed to having to wash water onto dirt to make sure there is dirt there.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 02:11:39 pm »

It's a feature, not a bug. Thank you.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 02:14:33 pm »

Toady has relayed to us, through Baugn, that it is actually a bug. Thank you.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 11:58:54 am »

You know why you had to irrigate in 2D? Same reason you have to irrigate on deeper layers in 40d, which I don't doubt will be maintained once this bug(yes, it's a bug, not a "feature) is fixed in 0.31 - because you're doing it on bare rock.

Spreading mud over rock makes some degree of sense to make it farmable. Spreading mud over soil? Not so much - the soil is probably far, far richer than the bit of mud you're slopping on top.

That farming is overbalanced is a separate issue. As with economy, cooking is currently a placeholder. Modding it to taste is well and good - but don't go and call a bug otherwise just for nostalgia's sake.

Eventually, DF may require actual irrigation(for any farm plot that doesn't e.g. get enough rain). That'll be another matter, especially since there will presumably be support for having dwarves do it as necessary. I look forward to that. Maybe it will require that all farming be done over damp soil(or damp muddied stone) or the yield will become tiny; that'll involve some extra planning to keep channels under the farm full of water, and presumably the farm plots will leach water over time. That's irrigation.

The current method is nothing more than slopping water over stone, once, to get a bit of mud on it - that's not "irrigation", not least because a single application of mud will keep a plot arable forever(well, unless it gets destroyed and the mud gets "cleaned" by the passing of seasons). Since the essential part is not the water, but the mud, having it be a required step for farming on otherwise arable soil makes no sense whatsoever, and is, in fact, a bug.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 12:28:33 pm »

OK OK! It's not really an issue anyway if irrigation is or is not a bug; I still find it annoying to have to establish a fairly large infrastructure to start farming, so I'm making all seeds purchasable on embark with the mod. The rest, could please move to another thread yeah?

Since it turns out the quarry bush leaves can be fixed in Raw, I took out quarry cinnamon and just included the bush fix in my files. The sawmill is still requiring a little testing, but it's almost ready. I added timber bamboo as a farmable surface wood crop, and got the growth time working quite well. Almost ready to post... is anyone but me actually interested?

Ampoliros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 01:11:53 pm »

indeed, i would be interested. What have you set the growth time for the tree crops to, as a start?

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 02:11:30 pm »

indeed, i would be interested. What have you set the growth time for the tree crops to, as a start?
Bamboo is at 500 and is around where I want it. Minaret-caps, my farmable mushroom, is set to 1000, but I haven't had a chance to test them out yet. I suppose I could just make a surface farmable version to try them with.
Pages: [1] 2