Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1232747 times)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (graphics update underway! Grab a test package!)
« Reply #3660 on: March 27, 2011, 05:26:12 pm »

Yeah I like the diagonal floors as well as the "tiled" patterns.

Thing about diagonal tiled floors is, if you are using the diagonal walls, it makes the corridor look all-the-more straight.  If it were possible (either by smoothing or engraving both the floor and wall similarly) to make the floor/wall transition more seamless, I'd be the happiest dwarf ever.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3661 on: March 27, 2011, 05:26:37 pm »

I think it's that the pillars are just a single flat colour in the middle.  Maybe if you added the same kind of shading on the inside as you have on the outside?

The rest of it looks awesome.  I agree about keeping the old floors, though.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: March 27, 2011, 06:05:21 pm »

This is quite late in the discussion, but when I first started using this graphic set I found the contrast between walls and floors in certain colors was extremely low. If I was digging into a dark grey it was virtually impossible to see where the rough floors ended and rough walls began. There was a difference, but I'd pretty much have to squint and lean in to see it (my eye level isn't quite straight on with my LCD screen). It wasn't so bad with other colors.

I haven't had an opportunity to try out the pack since .21 (making my feedback pretty useless in retrospect). I just wanted to mention it since you seemed to be working on adjusting the tile set a little rather than simply updating compatibility
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 06:11:02 pm by Niveras »

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #3663 on: March 27, 2011, 06:50:18 pm »

While I agree the smooth floors are way too smoth, I don't think the old ones will fit the new walls honestly, good as it were. I liked the engraved floor, and I also liked the second screenshot a bit though it was as if it still lacked a little bit.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: March 27, 2011, 07:05:30 pm »

I think I've found a happy medium. It's pretty much just the old floor tile, but it's cleaned up and it's lovely.

And the engraving on it is similar to the engravings on the new walls. I think you guys will like it.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: March 27, 2011, 07:13:09 pm »

It looks like this:

That's the darkest and the lightest it'll get.
Note that engraving your hematite veins gives you red engravings!
How cool is that? I guess engravings just use the background color of the material.
White engravings on dark floors look the best, though, I think.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: March 27, 2011, 07:27:17 pm »

Oh yeah, those tiles do look cleaner and smoother than before.   Nice. 

I'm... not sure how I feel about the floor engravings yet.  The pattern is fine in and of itself, and looks great on walls, but I worry that the details might be a bit too fine for floors.  If I look at them from more than a foot or two away, they start to blur.  Could you post a picture of a larger engraved area, maybe, so we can see how it looks on a larger scale?

Also, don't forget about the various material colour tags, like TILE_COLOR and the like.  It's really easy to change the contrast of floors that way, if you need to.

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: March 27, 2011, 07:35:17 pm »

Awesome.  I like the floors.  Lots of texture but better somehow.  Here is what I like and don't like so far.

Diagonal walls - Love Them

Engraved Walls - Love them, really awsome.

Smooth Walls - Not bad but not great.  Wish they had more texture and maybe less slant.  It makes me think I am looking down onto a triangle instead of a wall. (nevermind, the slant is perfect as it makes it look 3d, maybe just more texture somehow.)

Wall ends / Columns - Really don't like them.  They look out of place with the circle thing in the middle.  If you are going to go with the triangle look maybe you could do an wall end that is just an extension of it.   Something like if it is possible.  If wall ends and columns are the same tile it will not work.

Multi tile walls.  I do not know if there is a way around it but I find the little funnels everywhere really distracting.  By Funnels I am talking about these things.

Anyway, Love the changes and glad to see you making them.

-edit-
I played with the line tool in Fireworks some and came up with this as a textured wall.  I could not figure out how to make the bevel square though.  I know you can do it way better than I and was just trying to figure out what might work.  Something slightly textured (since the walls are smooth) to make it look nicer but no where close to as textured as the awesome engraved walls that you made already.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 09:08:47 pm by Morwaul »

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: March 27, 2011, 09:13:25 pm »

Diagonal walls? Yay! I know quite a bit about that.
The first work I've done on DF tilesets was to improve someone else's tile that had diagonal walls with diagonal thickness problems.

You've drawn your diagonal walls using the red techique, you should use the green techique instead to gain 2 easy pixels of thickness:

Now, on a wide wall that won't be enough, so I've been thinking for while about using crenelation to thicken diagonal walls, the side benefit is that crenelated wall represent better the true nature of DF's walls: things can't move in that empty diagonal corner even if it looks empty.
So I've drawn mockups of various possible designs.
The first line has no core, the second line has a core that follows the external lines, the bottom line has a core that is straight.
White = Wall, Black = Floor, all of the sections are 5x5, you can outline the empty floor tiles from their black corners in the crenelated walls.

So, I'm looking on everyone's opinion on which wall design they prefer, and why?
Thanks.

Edit: I've added square walls for comparison.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 09:23:33 pm by Phoebus »

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: March 27, 2011, 09:28:38 pm »

I like the 4 in the square from Row 2, Column 4 to Row 3 Column 5.

Column 1 - I like the diagonal walls better.
Column 2 - Cut outs are to big and the diagonal looks way thicker than the horizontal.
Column 3 - Still looks to thick.
Column 6 - Diagonals look to thin.

Row 1 - To plain.  If it was textured it might be different but....

-edit - 
You changed it on me...corrected.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 09:31:34 pm by Morwaul »

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: March 27, 2011, 10:06:13 pm »

Ok, so I guess I am having fun with this.  Here is a matching column to go with the wall I made.  I still do not really like it as a column but it looks good as a wall end.

-edit-

I made some different columns and redid it a bit.  I don't know if these are usable or not (I know they would have to be broken up into tiles) but the goal of this was show Ironhand what I was thinking about a more textured smooth wall. 

Anyway, that is enough with the little bitty squares for me.  I will leave this pixel stuff to the pros.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 11:25:06 pm by Morwaul »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: March 27, 2011, 10:43:01 pm »

Phoebus:

I like the crenelated walls, but they'd be better if each section of wall had them.  That way we could visually see where tiles are without it appearing they're all separate pieces.

Replying to Phoebus in an Ironhand thread... weird

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: March 27, 2011, 11:07:51 pm »

What program do you use to make the sprites? Is it just paint, or do you use something special?
I apologize if this question is asked a lot.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: March 28, 2011, 02:00:25 am »

This is my first final design for the crenelated wall.

The light source is designed to be almost NE but a bit more to the north, so that NE-SW diagonals don't have the same color on each side, and it's not exactly NNE so that the N and NE walls don't have exactly the same color either. (Yes, I love pain!)

Also, I finally settled on crenelation width so that the diagonal walls and corridors seem to have about the same width.

I use GIMP, it's free. I also think it has everything that you need to do pixel art, but I'm not good at pixel art so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 02:06:06 am by Phoebus »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: March 28, 2011, 02:05:04 am »

That's like... the perfect balance between straight and angled I've ever seen! What does the column end up like tho?
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 329