Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1233095 times)

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (0.51 now! Just new critter art, mostly)
« Reply #3450 on: February 21, 2011, 02:46:02 pm »

That would mean that everybody else would have to get a dropbox account, though... wouldn't it?

Or is there some kind of easy, read-only access I can grant?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3451 on: February 21, 2011, 02:52:02 pm »

That would mean that everybody else would have to get a dropbox account, though... wouldn't it?

Or is there some kind of easy, read-only access I can grant?
As I said, you put the file into your public folder and share the public link here and people can download it. Like this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9910241/Report1.PNG

Any file in the public folder can be linked to. You could even host a low-end webpage there by placing the .htm file there and linking to it.

Also: If you want, make a webpage and I'll throw it up on my own domain for people to get the last 2-3 versions of your tileset.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 02:55:24 pm by forsaken1111 »

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: February 21, 2011, 03:41:31 pm »

Awesome. I will figure this out tonight.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: February 21, 2011, 03:54:05 pm »

Perhaps one of each of the major tileset changes? That would give plenty of variety.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: February 21, 2011, 04:38:20 pm »

I think people mostly just want old versions for compatibility.

So I think the latest one from each of the last two or three official updates should do the trick.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: February 21, 2011, 06:06:10 pm »

I put some of those old versions up on the dropbox.

0.491 and 0.493 and 0.494

They're on the OP as well.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3456 on: February 21, 2011, 06:14:53 pm »

Links work. Isn't dropbox easy? :P

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: February 21, 2011, 06:17:58 pm »

It's brilliant!

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (older versions now available for compatibility)
« Reply #3458 on: February 21, 2011, 08:22:39 pm »

Using dropbox may be easy, but I'm fairly certain that your files will eventually be automatically deleted by the site due to "inactivity". (Have you read all the fine print on their "Terms of Service" page?) Another words, those files must be downloaded at least once every few weeks. Nearly all free file hosts that I'm aware of do this - it's an extremely common policy.  Something to keep in mind.

The only free file host I'm aware of that promises not to delete your files for inactivity is host-a.net. The only catch is that the total space available for your files is pretty limited. But it works great for small files and there should be plenty of room for numerous copies of Ironhand (minus the full DF package).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 08:24:30 pm by Thundercraft »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3459 on: February 21, 2011, 08:26:39 pm »

Using dropbox may be easy, but I'm fairly certain that your files will eventually be automatically deleted by the site due to "inactivity". (Have you read all the fine print on their "Terms of Service" page?) Another words, those files must be downloaded at least once every few weeks. Nearly all free file hosts that I'm aware of do this - it's an extremely common policy.  Something to keep in mind.

The only free file host I'm aware of that promises not to delete your files for inactivity is host-a.net. The only catch is that the total space available for your files is pretty limited. But it works great for small files and there should be plenty of room for numerous copies of Ironhand (minus the full DF package).
Considering how dropbox works (ie, you have a folder on your computer which is mirrored to dropbox's server) I doubt they will delete anything. The image I linked earlier hasn't been viewed or used for months and is still there. In fact I still have some files in there from September, which is when I first started using dropbox.

Hell my dwarf fortress folder is INSIDE the dropbox folder so my games are mirrored out to my other PC's and I can pick up my fort from my laptop or anywhere else.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #3460 on: February 21, 2011, 08:29:03 pm »

Have you ever actually used Dropbox? It's not actually a file-sharing service such as the link you shared seems to be. First and foremost, it's a system for syncing file between your own computers. It just so happens that any files you choose to make public have a public URL. Wouldn't make sense for Dropbox to delete those files so far as their business model goes.

(Note: If you can link me to where it says anything like that in the Terms of Service, please do. I use Dropbox for a fair few things and I've never seen anything of the sort though.)
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: February 21, 2011, 08:37:39 pm »

I suggest always reading the fine print when it comes to either file hosts or website hosting.

Middle of the page, under "Termination": https://www.dropbox.com/terms
Dropbox reserves the right to terminate Free Accounts at any time, with or without notice. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, and without further notice, Dropbox may choose to delete and/or reduce: (i) any or all of Your Files if your Free Account is inactive for 90 days; and (ii) previous versions and/or prior backups of Your Files.

Granted, 90 days of grace period before deletion is very generous as far as free file hosts are concerned. In fact, with the exception of the no-deletion policy of host-a.net, I've not seen a better policy.

In the past I have actually found dead links to downloads that were hosted on Dropbox. But I do not blame Dropbox. From what I recall, the files in question were some obscure mods for a rather old game, so I would not be surprised if over 90 days had passed since the last download. If blame is deserved, it would be the file hosting industry for setting the standard. After all, the industry just wants to encourage users to pay for file hosting, instead of leaching bandwidth and space for free.

Edit:
A couple years ago I spent a few days with Google searches and reading through pages and pages of fine print on the FREE Web Hosting website review site in order to find a free file host that did not delete stuff for inactivity. I was about to give up and conclude that such a site did not exist, until I finally found host-a.net.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 08:49:01 pm by Thundercraft »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3462 on: February 21, 2011, 08:47:39 pm »

Ah, that says if your account is inactive for 90 days. That means you have uninstalled the application or don't boot your computer for 90 days, because it logs in and syncs when you boot the computer.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: February 21, 2011, 08:49:48 pm »

Unless you set it to not start automatically when Windows boots up.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #3464 on: February 21, 2011, 08:56:34 pm »

Thanks for the link. Hadn't seen that.

In the past I have actually found dead links to downloads that were hosted on Dropbox. But I do not blame Dropbox. From what I recall, the files in question were some obscure mods for a rather old game, so I would not be surprised if over 90 days had passed since the last download. If blame is deserved, it would be the file hosting industry for setting the standard. After all, the industry just wants to encourage users to pay for file hosting, instead of leaching bandwidth and space for free.
That would most likely mean that the person that owned that Dropbox account had deleted the files on their local machine and the change automatically propogated to Dropbox. Makes sense, particularly if they were, as you said, old files.

Although, like forsake1111 said, Dropbox's policy deals with inactive accounts. Combined with the fact that I'm sure people will download the old Ironhand files (if out of curiosity if nothing else) at least every 90 days, it shouldn't be an issue in either case.

(For reference, I have files on Dropbox that I haven't touched in almost a year. They're still there.)

Although I think this has gotten a bit off topic. To each their own way of sharing files. :)
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 329