Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1233535 times)

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (0.49!!!)
« Reply #2835 on: September 26, 2010, 02:02:40 pm »

I agree that things could stand to be lighter.  The trees on the world map look super-dark, with bright trunks.

Also on the world map, I don't suppose you could make small n and big V look more like hills and badlands, respectively?  Everything else blends in nicely.

Other than that, looks great!  I especially like how the fields look.

Fixing things like the weird dark trees with black leaves is going to have to wait until we can get this shader stuff running.

The n and V on th Map are *so* getting changed though have now been banished! :)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 02:39:07 pm by WormSlayer »

Zisteau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: September 26, 2010, 02:53:54 pm »

Hey guys, haven't played the game in about 3 years and just DL'ed the new version with Ironhand's graphics set. Looks great, but its so dark I can't see the z-level number to know what level I'm on. Is there a way to fix this? Do I need to manually edit the Color file in the INIT folder?

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #2837 on: September 26, 2010, 04:09:43 pm »

Well your not alone, "too dark" is probably our most common complaint :D

I would recommend calibrating your monitor / graphics card levels - If these are set correctly you should be able to clearly see even the darkest things in our set.

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: September 26, 2010, 04:31:08 pm »

Hello Team Ironhand

Just wanted to say thank you for the update.  It looks like some of the ground colors may be a little lighter and that is appreciated.  The fonts are freaking incredible.  I like many of the graphics changes also.  Many graphics seem bigger which is very nice and the stairs are better.  Ther cursor is much easier to see though it would be better if you could change the up/down stairs to something different....maybe a spiral staircase? Anyway, overall a totally awesome upgrade.

Of course there are things I would still change.  I would brighten the floors a little more.  Maybe make the range anywhere from around the brightness of the orthoclase and native gold floors which are perfect to the microcline floors being on the lower end of visible.  Everything that is darker just fades to black and makes it hard to see stockpiles and some items.  I didn't even realize the regular stone floors had texture until this release.  The texture is quite nice.  Make it bright enough to for us to see please.  Other than that I don't care for the Bin X graphic.  I wish it could be a little bin like Mayday or something but this is minor.  Hey, you could make a new Bin graphic.  Give its graphic to the up/down stairs, and leave the cursor as it is now. 

Anyway, you guys are the geniuses, I'm just glad to get to use the magic you make.  Thanks for making it.

Zisteau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: September 26, 2010, 04:48:01 pm »

Well your not alone, "too dark" is probably our most common complaint :D

I would recommend calibrating your monitor / graphics card levels - If these are set correctly you should be able to clearly see even the darkest things in our set.

After playing the game for a bit and getting used to it again, I realize this issue is just with the z-level labels, everything else is fine, but those 3 tiles in the bottom right with the z-level number are totally black...maybe the numbers are black on black background for some reason?

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #2840 on: September 26, 2010, 06:05:24 pm »

@Morwaul - Unfortunately bin/updown stairs/archery target/etc. all still share the same tile so nothing we can do about it yet except continue to fiddle with it :(

@Zisteau - You mean the terrain height display on the embark screen?

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: September 26, 2010, 07:51:01 pm »

I think he means the Z level display when you are in the games proper (Bottom right of the screen).   It is just a black square where the numbers should be.  Mine is the same way.

If it helps I am running DF 31.14 with Genesis 31.13 graphical dumped on top (using deons instructions) and then with IH .49 dumped on top of that. 

p.s. Cool Coffins!

Vhorthex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Medieval Nerd - Youtube Page
« Reply #2842 on: September 26, 2010, 08:32:14 pm »

I think he means the Z level display when you are in the games proper (Bottom right of the screen).   It is just a black square where the numbers should be.  Mine is the same way.

If it helps I am running DF 31.14 with Genesis 31.13 graphical dumped on top (using deons instructions) and then with IH .49 dumped on top of that. 

p.s. Cool Coffins!

I tried to do the same, but when i read the engravings, dwarf details, etc... it uses the tilesets, so all the "o" are wells and so on.

is there a way to get the true fonts all the time? :D

This is amazing!
Vhorthex
Patience is a virtue.

Miss old PC-DOS gamse? Check out my YouTube page for 10 Minute videos of ye olde games!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMedievalNerd?feature=mhum

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: September 26, 2010, 09:09:58 pm »

Hey Guys

One more thing just in case you have not noticed it.  When in the units screen (u menu) Whatever line I have highlighted is just a white bar and I cannot see any text on the highlighted line.  Also, there is a Wild Animal called a "Fire Man" on my map in a lava pool.  When I look at him using "k" I can see that he is a Fire Man but when I look at him with "v" or in the "u" menu all I can see is a red block where his name is.  Not sure if it is red on red text or just a block.

Thanks

Zisteau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: September 26, 2010, 10:29:38 pm »

p.s. Cool Coffins!

This. Not talking about the embark screen, talking about the z level number in bottom right when you're in the main part of the game.

Qwazzerman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: September 26, 2010, 10:46:11 pm »

As I mentioned before, the Ironhand complete pack has a different Colors.txt file than the graphics set alone.  The one in the complete pack is really dark but it improves dramatically if the other file is used.
So if everything is too dark, try replacing the contents of the Colors.txt file in the data/init folder with the following:

Verdian

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: September 26, 2010, 11:56:28 pm »

I am enjoying the new version, but wanted to report two minor problems: First, the Artifact description menu is not using ttf, so it is full of symbols and the old font. Second, on the unit select screen (u), the bar showing which unit you are currently on covers up all of the information (name, job, ect) of the unit. Kind of annoying, but hardly game breaking.

Keep up the good work!
ArkDelgato: Why is my house filled with vomit.
nahkh: Why ISN'T your house filled with vomit?!

Immacolata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: September 27, 2010, 05:09:24 am »

Several screens still use the mono space fonts, like the dwarf view menu where it writes a bit about your dwarf. I think it was mentioned that this is due to DF it self, not Ironhand.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: September 27, 2010, 02:19:35 pm »

Yeah, there are a lot of bugs with the ttf support right now.
They are not things that I can make better, but they should be remedied shortly.
The z-level stuff you guys are complaining about is included in that category.

The darkness thing is our most common complaint. If you have a monitor with high differentiation,
the game is gonna be more contrasted, and all the darks are gonna blend together somewhere around invisible.

My monitor is apparently very low on contrast. Maybe I'll get a new one later and start edging back towards the light side,
but for now it looks fine to me and WormSlayer, so we kinda have trouble finding any motivation to change it.
Lighter color schemes should do wonders for you guys, though, if ours looks too dark for your liking.

Good stuff, Wormy.
I'm going to administer some TLC to world maps in the future, especially once we get all that fun tile-control stuff.

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: September 27, 2010, 03:09:31 pm »

So, just a little nit-pick, that I'll have to verify once I get home to my nice monitor... Pillars look weird, and end up looking like they are holes in walls. Tiny little squiggles cue me into them being pillars, but I have to strain pretty hard to see it. Can anyone else speak towards this?

edit: nm. forgot that I hadn't actually downloaded the new IH pack on this machine yet...   ::) Oops.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 05:00:03 pm by Theodolus »
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 329