Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1233864 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (0.48 released!)
« Reply #2400 on: August 15, 2010, 11:34:25 am »

And you have to make sure that the tiles are rendered from top left to bottom right, so other trees are placed above the shadow of the ones on the left/above.
No need for this. Use the alpha channel of the tree (if you aren't using it for something else; you could also use one of the channels of some other tile for five channels total, in which case you'd want to bundle four tiles' worth of extra channel into a fifth.. get it?) as a Z-level offset, and let OpenGL's usual Z occlusion testing deal with getting the shadow right.

Pretty sure OpenGL doesn't guarantee anything about rendering order anyway.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: August 15, 2010, 11:52:11 am »

Pretty sure OpenGL doesn't guarantee anything about rendering order anyway.
*nods* Transpancy and draw order. That topic is worth it's own chapter!  ::)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: August 15, 2010, 11:58:08 am »

Right. If you use separate drawing calls that's one thing, but the entirety of DF is drawn with a single glDrawArrays call.

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #2403 on: August 15, 2010, 12:10:04 pm »

For the shader-enhanced version of the tileset I'm thinking something like this:

background
   default to a generic ground tile if its an object
   blend with surrounding tiles as needed

object
   use alpha for proper transparency and tint with foreground colour

trim
   same as above but with background colour

overlays/effects/etc.

Deltaway

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: August 15, 2010, 12:44:23 pm »

This is exciting indeed. So it looks like you can divide all types of objects into two groups: single-tile (e.g. trees, dwarves, rocks, water) and multi-tile (e.g. ballistae, ballista arrows, catapults, pumps, windmills, workshops).

From there you can further divide the single-tile group based on how they are affected by the Shading Paradigm Shift:
-remains single tile with no modification: (e.g. creatures, containers)
-remains single tile, but with modification based on surrounding tiles: (water-land transitions, double doors)
-is extended to multiple tiles: (megabeasts, trees)

One issue I see with some of the extended graphics is that sometimes the original anchor tile will be obscured (a dwarf walking through a door, combat).
-With single-tile reactive-behavior objects, this would usually cause the tile to change to another form (a dwarf walking through a double door would make the other side a single door).
-With single-tile extended objects, it just causes the disappearance of a larger entity (a larger dragon disappears when covered by a dwarf tile in combat).

Trees don't suffer from any of these effects because they aren't reactive and can't be displaced by a creature, provided you can make adjacent trees overlay well.

With multi-tile objects, you have:
-non-interactive (windmills)
-interactive (siege weapons, workshops)

But none of these (that I know of) suffer from same problems because you should be able to display them the same way whether or not they have arrows or dwarves in them, especially since there are very few existent interactions.

So at this point it's definitely looking like the most difficult issues (before the actual artwork, of course :D) can be made completely irrelevant by multiple passes providing the information about all objects in a tile, not just the visible one.

It would also open up a slew of possibilities! For example! I know that up until now we have no canonical evidence for dwarven knees, but what if they could sit down?

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: August 15, 2010, 03:16:40 pm »

Do not beat me, but imagine now overlay with "bubble" over head of troubled Dwarf with selected(in prefs) data displayed there + kbd shortcut to turn it on/off..things like: "I catched a fish lately", "I ran away from Aligator", etc, etc. or stats, whatever is hooked.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 03:34:27 pm by McBeer »
fun is for rich men, i assume.
----------
My axe is sharp and my beard is strong.

KillHour

• Bay Watcher
  • One of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: August 15, 2010, 04:40:09 pm »

Do not beat me, but imagine now overlay with "bubble" over head of troubled Dwarf with selected(in prefs) data displayed there + kbd shortcut to turn it on/off..things like: "I catched a fish lately", "I ran away from Aligator", etc, etc. or stats, whatever is hooked.

Can't do any of this, currently.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: August 15, 2010, 05:53:11 pm »

Can't do any of this, currently.
maybe a green/red/orange bubble to show hapy/sad/meh-ness?
or can we not access any of that data at all?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: August 15, 2010, 05:58:16 pm »

Although I am incredibly excited by these potential new-fangled changes, I thought I'd ask if there are still plans to move forward with other aspects of the set that would look killer if finished. I'm thinking specifically human and elves. The goblins and dwarfs in this set are sublime, but the other races would be a fantastic addition. I know that eventually they are on the docket, just wondering how far off these potential new additions have moved them.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: August 15, 2010, 06:47:46 pm »

Oh, that's my problem to get around to.
Don't worry, it will definitely happen eventually.

This week I'm on vacation, and soon after that I'm headed back to school.

But when I do get back to spriting, I will take a look at humans and elves. And kobolds.

And yeah, we don't get any real information from the game. Sorry.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: August 15, 2010, 06:50:21 pm »

My ultimate wish is for a complete set of sprites for all the possible jobs for humans, so I can play my modded game with this awesome graphics set thing of awesome and stuff.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: August 15, 2010, 07:01:42 pm »

I know it is.

And you're not the only one.

Rest assured that it is an eventual goal.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: August 15, 2010, 07:04:43 pm »

Thank'ee kindly, my good sir.

*bows*
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: August 15, 2010, 07:21:21 pm »

Well, we should at least be able to animate dwarves that happen to be in the middle of workshops. Pretty unambiguous, that case.

Hm. I could also add in a feedback texture, to let you store a bit of data between frames, but.. we'll see how it works without that first, 'kay?

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #2414 on: August 15, 2010, 07:35:27 pm »

Well, we should at least be able to animate dwarves that happen to be in the middle of workshops. Pretty unambiguous, that case.

For some workshops but it will depend if they have specific tiles in them that we can fix on with 100% certainty every frame?

Ironically the dwarf himself will be obscuring the centre tile that identifies a lot of workshops!

Will we limited to checking immediately adjacent tiles or can we look farther afield?

Hm. I could also add in a feedback texture, to let you store a bit of data between frames, but.. we'll see how it works without that first, 'kay?

This would be used for...? :)
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 329