Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1234183 times)

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (magic new water for 0.50!)
« Reply #2085 on: August 10, 2010, 07:46:09 am »

Don't know the inner workings of tile sets and whatnot, but I was wondering how feasible this is... in my current fort, there are lots of underground trees/shrubs growing, and some of them use the same mushroom tile. That makes it kind of hard to tell apart what is a shrub (i.e. won't clog my irrigating tunnels) and what is a tree (i.e. need to bust my butt and dig relief tunnels to chop them down). Thanks, great work. And to put in a contrary voice keep the water, it's fantastic.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: August 10, 2010, 07:51:15 am »

Ah, you're getting spooked by baby plump helmets and dimple cups.
Hey, mushrooms is mushrooms. When they's little, you've gotta go by color.

From our point of view, it's not worth making another baby mushroom tile because they're all baby mushrooms.
Although, we might make a cluster of mushrooms later, which I guess you could use for one but not the other.

Animated noise?? Does that mean we could actually get WHITE flecks on our water??

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #2087 on: August 10, 2010, 08:00:38 am »

I've actually been playing with the underground plant tiles, but you have to regen a new world to change tree sapling graphics.

In theory full shader support would give us the ability to do animated, rippling, foamy, reflective, refractive, etc. water. Hell we could probably even do that nice shoreline effect where it meets ground tiles :D

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: August 10, 2010, 08:03:17 am »

I had no idea so many amazing graphics features would be coming so soon.i cannot wait to see what you guys come up with.

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #2089 on: August 10, 2010, 08:21:24 am »

It's an exciting time for DF graphics :D

As part of last nights overhaul, I also remade every tree so they look less crappy when marked for felling :P
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 08:26:21 am by WormSlayer »

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: August 10, 2010, 08:32:16 am »

Yeah, I'm testing it out now! = P

That's why I'm not getting any art done.

That was bothering me before. Now it is lovely.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: August 10, 2010, 09:50:53 am »

The main problem with conditioning on surrounding tiles is the inevitable combinatorial explosion.

This means we have to generate the combinations in realtime, which is impossible in 2D mode and.. hard, in most of the opengl modes. In practice, it'll pretty much have to require shader mode, and probably also involve bundling shader code with the tileset in question. Not really a big deal, but more work than you're used to; I'll help, of course.

It'll also be useful to have textures that aren't associated with individual tiles, in order to blend them with ones that are.

So, ignoring graphics-mode's extra tiles for the moment, I'm envisioning a system something like this:

- Instead of a tileset, you supply a tarball/zipfile containing lots (and lots) of numbered PNGs. 0.png, 1.png, etc. Current tilesets would still be readable (backwards-compatibility is nice), but wouldn't get the extra bonuses.

- You can supply *any number* of those numbered PNGs.

- In the shader, you have four inputs:
* The current time (in milliseconds since DF start)
* The absolute location of the current tile, i.e. relative to the entire map
* The relative location of that tile, i.e. to the window
* The background/foreground color and CP437 index of *all* the visible tiles. You'd access the data for your current tile by using the relative tile-location as an index.

Additionally, you have access to a texture array, where each texture in that texture array matches up with the same numbered texture in the supplied tileset zipfile.

At that point.. well, you can do pretty much whatever you want. There will be a default set of shaders in data/art that act about the way it works today, which are overridden by any shaders in the zipfile; I'll be using both vertex and fragment shaders, as anything that's calculated the same way for every pixel in a tile (like, its foreground/background color and texture index) shouldn't be calculated per-pixel.

Sound good? This way, you won't get a slowdown almost no matter what you do. :)
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: August 10, 2010, 10:01:34 am »

Whoah, slow down.
You're making it sound like this is already possible...  :o

Looks like it's time for me to learn how to use shaders!

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: August 10, 2010, 10:24:02 am »

Well, of course it's possible. It's just a bunch of coding.

The only thing I can't add without input from Toady is the absolute location, but I imagine that even without that it'll be rather useful.

It's going to be an opengl 3.2-capable and above card only thing, though, because I'm not feeling like supporting half a dozen incomplete drivers anymore. :P
People with old hardware can use 2D mode. That's what it's there for.

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #2094 on: August 10, 2010, 10:37:27 am »

Technical stuff...

That all sounds quite different to how it currently works... Care to drop a couple of examples of what we could do with your proposed system?

The real problem with tile borders right now is the abrupt colour change rather than the actual tile graphics.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: August 10, 2010, 11:06:27 am »

The main problem with conditioning on surrounding tiles is the inevitable combinatorial explosion.
there are ways around it.

your welcome to take a look at stonesense for one way to manage tileborders, though it currently only differentiates based on walls, floors, open space, and ramps, but it's something.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: August 10, 2010, 11:12:44 am »

It's going to be an opengl 3.2-capable and above card only thing, though, because I'm not feeling like supporting half a dozen incomplete drivers anymore. :P
People with old hardware can use 2D mode. That's what it's there for.
is there a way to check what opengl version your computer is capable of?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: August 10, 2010, 11:19:25 am »

Download GLView, run it, read the report.

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #2098 on: August 10, 2010, 11:31:12 am »

If you could implement the Stonesense approach to ramps that would be freaking awesome!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: August 10, 2010, 11:48:46 am »

This means we have to generate the combinations in realtime, which is impossible in 2D mode and.. hard, in most of the opengl modes. In practice, it'll pretty much have to require shader mode, and probably also involve bundling shader code with the tileset in question. Not really a big deal, but more work than you're used to; I'll help, of course.

It'll also be useful to have textures that aren't associated with individual tiles, in order to blend them with ones that are.

So, ignoring graphics-mode's extra tiles for the moment, I'm envisioning a system something like this:

- Instead of a tileset, you supply a tarball/zipfile containing lots (and lots) of numbered PNGs. 0.png, 1.png, etc. Current tilesets would still be readable (backwards-compatibility is nice), but wouldn't get the extra bonuses.

- You can supply *any number* of those numbered PNGs.

- In the shader, you have four inputs:
* The current time (in milliseconds since DF start)
* The absolute location of the current tile, i.e. relative to the entire map
* The relative location of that tile, i.e. to the window
* The background/foreground color and CP437 index of *all* the visible tiles. You'd access the data for your current tile by using the relative tile-location as an index.

Additionally, you have access to a texture array, where each texture in that texture array matches up with the same numbered texture in the supplied tileset zipfile.

At that point.. well, you can do pretty much whatever you want. There will be a default set of shaders in data/art that act about the way it works today, which are overridden by any shaders in the zipfile; I'll be using both vertex and fragment shaders, as anything that's calculated the same way for every pixel in a tile (like, its foreground/background color and texture index) shouldn't be calculated per-pixel.

Sound good? This way, you won't get a slowdown almost no matter what you do. :)

I am kinda confused, but this sounds awesome. [I don't know too much about shaders etc....]
Also just a question: As we know, text + tiles will be separated in the upcoming versions. Basically this means that we can create custom gfx for each and every tile in the game [1 tile -> 1 image, so for example X won't be used to display 3 different things], or that still won't be possible?
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 329