Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1234615 times)

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (0.45 is now available!)
« Reply #1665 on: July 26, 2010, 03:18:32 pm »

Right now, I'd like to see Trolls get a make-over but I have caves full of them and every Gobbo attack comes with a bonus pack of the buggers :D

Obsidian?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: July 26, 2010, 03:23:58 pm »

It don't let me zoom in, only zoom out.
It shows only ~16*16 or smaller instead of 18*18.
But right after the launch, before you touch the window, it's 18*18. (It's just don't fit the screen so I have to move it).
you can stretch the window before trying to do any zooming.

Right now, I'd like to see Trolls get a make-over but I have caves full of them and every Gobbo attack comes with a bonus pack of the buggers :D

Obsidian?
easier to see this time ^^

Thundrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: July 26, 2010, 03:48:29 pm »

I'm well and truly starting to appreciate my widescreen monitor, was not exactly thinking of DF when buying it, lucky break then. Was showing the game to a friend of mine, and he had it too, so didn't consider limitations as such. Bah!

The Obsidian looks like it belongs there. That's a pretty fair criteria to hang on to, judging by what can be seen so far. Environmental belonging, that goes hand in hand with art composition coherency. But all of this is instinctive probably, so why put words to it... ;)

---       

Harmonica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: July 26, 2010, 05:38:59 pm »

You can zoom in, but the horizontal width of your screen can never be below 80 tiles.
So if you don't have a horizontal monitor resolution of 1440 or higher,
you won't be able to see the tiles in full resolution.

Sorry...

Yeah, my monitors all stop short of 1440 unfortunately. I wonder if a potential solution would be to run in multi-monitor mode (extend onto second monitor) and let the DF window run off the edge?

I rarely use that mode so I don't know if that would make DF detect a 1440+ resolution.

Running with squished tiles (or resizing the set down to 16x16 is not an option, though. Pixel art doesn't translate well to being smooshed :( )

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: July 26, 2010, 06:08:29 pm »

You can't fullscreen it over two monitors,
but you could stretch a window across them.

And yeah, that's what obsidian looks like now.

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: July 26, 2010, 06:55:05 pm »

Hey Ironhand, 1,024 pardons if this has been asked and answered already, but is there a fairly convenient way to check out how a tile will look in-game with a certain color scheme without having to try to check it out in-game?  Like, color-replace this or that in GIMP, or do this or that with the alpha...?

(I'm working on converting large numbers of plants into the graphics scheme, and herb bushes and such are resistant to easy and quick in-game testing because of the way they work.  Any tips would be great.)

Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: July 26, 2010, 07:05:26 pm »

I can only hope one day Toady will remove that annoying 80 tiles minimum limitation.
Oh the joy of zooming in on Ironhand&WormSlayer graphic set in a small DF windowed mode, can only dream about it for now.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 07:09:25 pm by Robsoie »

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: July 26, 2010, 07:13:45 pm »

Hmm, I've grown attached to this tileset and I don't want to use another. Seeing that there's no update for .12 how do I go about importing the latest version into this version? Do I just need to import the raws out of the official release into the current version?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: July 26, 2010, 07:26:33 pm »

If Toady updated some of the RAWS files in .12, playing with RAWS from .11 into .12 may have some unsuspected results depending on what was updated.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: July 26, 2010, 07:33:59 pm »

Hey Ironhand, 1,024 pardons if this has been asked and answered already, but is there a fairly convenient way to check out how a tile will look in-game with a certain color scheme without having to try to check it out in-game?  Like, color-replace this or that in GIMP, or do this or that with the alpha...?

(I'm working on converting large numbers of plants into the graphics scheme, and herb bushes and such are resistant to easy and quick in-game testing because of the way they work.  Any tips would be great.)

Actually, yes there is.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=54669.0

Quite a handy lil program, I actually recoloured a large number of the stones in phoebus graphics set. And the raw tile selector helped immensely.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: July 26, 2010, 08:03:44 pm »

Yeah, hermano's tile selector is awesome.

And using old raws shouldn't change too much,
at least for a day or two until I get a new version out.

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #1676 on: July 26, 2010, 08:14:25 pm »

I'm pretty sure Toady only changed a single obscure Kobold tag in the .12 raws. Dont forget to put the savegame updater in the next release IH! :)

Tile selector is awesome :D

Totally unrelated lulz: My Legendary Strand Extractor took a break from years of processing raw Adamantine to produce this:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 08:29:03 pm by WormSlayer »

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: July 26, 2010, 08:45:25 pm »

Yeah, it's safe.  I actually ran file-compare operations to reconcile my raws with them, and the only real differences are the aforementioned kobold change, and some removals of duplicate tags from certain creatures.  So it's probably perfectly safe.

Oh, wow, that utility by hermano -- awesome.  I was looking at converting Seth's Fauna and Flora with some serious dread because of this tiling and coloring by-hand thing.  Very, very nice.  Thanks for pointing that out.  Hours saved.

EDIT: In the realm of ridiculously adamantine artifacts, my dorves' record was a 768k adamantine cabinet.  I guess it's good to store those 5k prepared meal stacks in?  Either that, or some tasteless noble's "new" goblin-blood-spattered cave spider silk loincloth.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 08:49:39 pm by ChickenLips »
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

Thundrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: July 26, 2010, 09:03:10 pm »

I'm still not feeling the sack of clothes or the refuse, though.

Yes, I agree. With heavy heart.

The refuse pile conjure up imagery that alternates between a Klingon Bird-of-Prey, and an ordinary plucked bird ready for further preparation. Most other things here settle in after a while, but this one has a genuine power over the imagination. A pile of bones, or anything solid would do a better job when it comes to recognition. At the cost of plausibility or realism in some cases. I'm thinking recognition trumps realism when doubt enters the picture. It is one of those overarching design rules that beats you up in the morning, and knocks you out in the evening. On the other hand it's not like I don't know what it is. There is recognition there. But maybe not for the right reasons. And that is the well.. not a problem, more a fixation issue that might be individual for all I know.

At this point the old skull did a better job IMHO.

Totally unrelated lulz: My Legendary Strand Extractor took a break from years of processing raw Adamantine to produce this:

A genuine Dragon Magnet. Congratulations. :p

---
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 09:18:59 pm by Thundrim »

Harmonica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: July 26, 2010, 09:31:21 pm »

Figured out how people with sub-1440 horizontal resolutions can 'cheese' the game into being playable.

When DF loads it obviously grabs some value (thought it was X,Y from the cursor, but seems not), and spawns the game window based on that. You can keep loading it until it spawns right in the top left on your screen. I had thought that I had figured out how to get it to load in the top left, but seems I was mistaken... if anyone does work out a proper way, post! [edit: for me, if I shove the 'run fullscreen?' dialog into the top left so just the NO button is showing, then hit that, the DF window 0,0 is right up in the top left..]

Just don't touch the window frame to move it or resize it or anything because for some reason this cues DF into scaling the graphics to fit the program window.

Obviously the far right of the game screen is cut off, but as long as you have a decent working memory of the game controls and a TAB key to shift the menu around, that shouldn't be a problem..

edit: lots of typos.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 09:40:40 pm by Harmonica »
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 329