Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1234673 times)

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (here's 0.43!)
« Reply #1530 on: July 20, 2010, 02:48:14 pm »

You're fine.

Post to your heart's content.

One more day and I'm free! = D

Oh, and WormSlayer old sport.
I probably should be shooting you down
without any lovely new art of my own, but:

The new tables and chairs are a not so much for me.
If you can, though, I think the tables and chairs could
do with a little bit sharper of an edge.
And I think they should fill their tiles.
But the bevel on the table is cool.
You could slap that on there too.

Otherwise I will play with it when I get back.

The remains aren't doing much for me either.

Just my thoughts. I'll look at it all together later.

blub-dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: July 20, 2010, 03:35:00 pm »

thanks Theodolus

going to try it out

so you mean if i want every floor with white sprites i need gimp to change there the color?

thanks

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: July 20, 2010, 03:43:01 pm »

The new tables and chairs are a not so much for me.
If you can, though, I think the tables and chairs could
do with a little bit sharper of an edge.
And I think they should fill their tiles.
The problem, I think, is that you can't have the tables and chairs fill their tiles, and yet have the tables look taller than the chairs.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: July 20, 2010, 03:52:23 pm »

Is that a challenge?

But yeah, I guess I didn't mean chairs.
Tables should, though.
I like to be able to stick a bunch together.

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #1534 on: July 20, 2010, 03:53:31 pm »

Here is the most recent wacky experimental version I'm playing with, use at your own risk ;)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Solace is right about that, the chairs have to be at least a little shorter - It's bad enough how badly we are already abusing perspective to show the legs while keeping tables square :P

Another problem with tables is that every workshop has work tables in them made from a stone tiles so the precedent is kind of set for a top-down view where you cant even see the legs?

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: July 20, 2010, 04:37:56 pm »

so you mean if i want every floor with white sprites i need gimp to change there the color?

Hrm. Not sure exactly what you are looking for here. I think I can explain it (though Ironhand can probably explain it better (might want to check out his tile magic thread)) but it would probably take too long to do that here. If you PM me more details as to what you are trying to do, I can try to explain it a little better without cluttering up this thread.

I like that tile for engraved floor! It's a tad dark for my taste/monitor, so I lightened it up a bit. Even darker though it really makes the engraved vs. smoothed really pop. Unless another better version comes around I'll be sticking with this one. :D I have to agree with Ironhand (and I think you as well, WormSlayer (Wormy?)), that the table needs to take up the whole tile so rows of tables look better. Chairs are progressively looking better but still need a fair amount of work.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 04:40:07 pm by Theodolus »
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: July 20, 2010, 05:12:09 pm »

Thought I'd pipe up and say I really love the tileset and what you've done with it so far.  I've been using it happily.

On the chairs: I may be a bit strange, but I like how the chairs and tables are in the last official release.  Not so hot on stools or anything either, I'm afraid.

Also, I was working on (roughly) converting the plants in Civ Forge and SethCreiyd's Flora & Fauna for my own use with my Ironhand build, and made a quick sort of guide for plant tiles in your set to submit to Mephansteras in case he finds it helpful for CF.  So, on the off-chance that anyone else would find it useful, I'll paste it here for anyone who might like to convert their plants into your graphics framework.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #1537 on: July 20, 2010, 07:04:11 pm »

On the subject of plants; the cave wheat/pig tail tile in that sheet I posted above? If you set the background to black you can probably use just the stalks for grass-like plants.

Oh you covered that :/
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 07:42:23 pm by WormSlayer »

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: July 20, 2010, 11:14:49 pm »

I was wondering if I could make engraved surfaces brighter without changing the grout.  Adding 20% transparency to the tiles of the floor gave me this:

I also played with the walls, with mixed results.  I converted the black in the middle 8 pixels of each wall to transparency, which didn't do much to the microcline in the previous picture, but looks good on the lignite and kaolinite in this one:

What do you think?

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: July 21, 2010, 01:05:25 am »

Interesting look Igfig... not sure that they are distinguishable enough. I really like the looks of Wormy's newest engraved floor though. I personally was messing around with chairs and tables. I think I got it so the chairs look shorter than the tables now, but not really sure. It's late and I can't really decipher what my eyes are seeing. :P Anyway, below are my attempts. There's a small bump on the back side of the chair that I don't really like but I don't have the time to mess with it right now.

Also, see the entry way for engraved floor tiles. I brightened them up a hair from Wormy's default. All this fiddling with the setup makes me want to do something completely original... Ah well, bed beckons.

Harmonica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: July 21, 2010, 02:09:53 am »

I also played with the walls, with mixed results.  I converted the black in the middle 8 pixels of each wall to transparency, which didn't do much to the microcline in the previous picture, but looks good on the lignite and kaolinite in this one:

What do you think?

I like the effect, but what about if you had the transparency on the edges of the walls, rather than in the middle (doesn't that make more sense for engraved walls?). You'd still have the stone in the middle as you'd expect, but around the edges where they've worked the engravings, the rock would be slightly smoother.

I think it might also be a tad too smooth, though.

Vinnie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: July 21, 2010, 07:35:11 am »

I like the changes to the chairs in the 'experimental' version, Worm. Stools are a plus, since I can put them on any side of a table without making it look silly.

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #1542 on: July 21, 2010, 04:05:51 pm »

I think I would actually prefer some kind of pattern on the wall (sort of like the engraved floors are now) rather than the dotted outline...

Big bevelled tables with different stools, but now both using the same fake perspective.

(Why the hell do dorfs stand on tables all the time? The kitten at least could be underneath the table...)

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: July 21, 2010, 04:47:01 pm »

I prefer to think of it as 'Drunken Reveling'. They spontaneously burst into bawdy songs and climb on the table, trying to get people to sing along. Naturally this is looked down upon as it means that the dwarf is unable to hold his alcohol.

Edit: Now that I've been looking at them for a little while.. The chairs still look a bit high. Don't get me wrong, they're the best ones yet, it just seems as though a dwarf would have a hard time getting up into one.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 06:26:23 pm by Theodolus »

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #1544 on: July 21, 2010, 07:10:04 pm »

Yeah they may be a bit big still :D

Trying out a bit of Tile Magic on the web/currency/rough gem/all that other stuff tile:

(Cave Spider webs are actually white and orange - who knew?)

« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 08:43:12 pm by WormSlayer »
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 329