Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1234883 times)

TealThanatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (elephants!)
« Reply #1080 on: June 30, 2010, 09:45:39 pm »

I like the chest mate! Cabinets already look pretty cabinet-y, maybe just snazz them up a little instead of redesign?

It might be hard, but I reckon it's important to get it so that stone, dirt, metal, gems and coal are all easily distinguishable. It doesn't necessarily have to go as far as them being distinguishable from each other, for example, we don't need to see a major difference between granite and slate, they can both look like stone, and both be grey.

What's important I think is being able to look and easily see veins of ore/coal amongst the stone, so therefore it's important to have a different graphic for each 'type' of minable tile :)

Good luck easily mining a vein of gold in a bunch of orthoclase as it is haha

I wait in anticipation of the next release, dynamic duo!

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #1081 on: June 30, 2010, 11:01:22 pm »

Again I really like the current Cabinet tile, it's a great bit of pixel art!

But, IMHO it is a "chest of drawers". A "cabinet" is different, taller bit of furniture?

Something like this:

TealThanatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: June 30, 2010, 11:17:50 pm »

*claps*

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: June 30, 2010, 11:43:02 pm »

THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Wavecutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: June 30, 2010, 11:49:52 pm »

*slow claps*
We farm and kill mermaid children. Its too late to worry about political correctness.

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: July 01, 2010, 12:08:36 am »

I like the design of both the chest and the cabinet. With that said, some constructive criticism:

The chest seems a little big compared to the other tiles. I know that you are limited in the amount of detail you can smoosh into smaller spaces, but making it a touch smaller with a shadow or something might alleviate the issue.

The cabinet looks a little awkward to me. This could be because of preconceived notions of what a cabinet is. When I think a cabinet I think of a taller structure with all doors. I would suggest doing one of two things. Either make it have two tall doors (this may make it seem more like a wardrobe though), or turn the left side of drawers into two equally sized doors. I think the latter suggestion would be the most cabinet like.

Disclaimer: You could leave a gob of stuff exactly the way it is and I would still play with this tile-set. I'm not a pixel artist and am amazed at the detail you manage to squeeze into these tiles.
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #1086 on: July 01, 2010, 01:02:27 am »

I was just going to show off a slightly smaller version of the chest :)

Also new mechanism gears:

A tweaked Masonry Workshop/Kitchen tile that blends a lot better with the generic workshop (counter?) tile:

And ever-so subtly different, but totally redone Levers:

(Bane of my life now! lol!)

And yeah I will probably revisit the cabinet in the near future! :)

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: July 01, 2010, 01:05:49 am »

The cabinet is also the Dark Tower icon for the world map, I have yet to see a set that makes a good Dark Tower. This one shows amazing potential for that.

I have yet to use this set, but it is top on my to do list when I 1) go back to the new version and 2) go back to graphics (which should come around the same time I return to the new version)

A lot of people have trouble with walls and floors looking to much alike, a way to fix that would be to have a more pronounced edge on the wall tiles. sort of like a more subtle version of your transition effect might work? I dont know if that is possible at all though.

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #1088 on: July 01, 2010, 01:14:49 am »

Good point about the Towers on the world map!

I can only imagine what wonders Ironhand has in store regarding the walls and stuff :)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: July 01, 2010, 01:37:57 am »

By the by, Ironhand, what do you think of Worm's work? Is it similar enough to the style you draw/want that it'll get into the final set? It could cut down on work a bit if there were two people working instead of one.

TealThanatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: July 01, 2010, 01:41:01 am »

Chedd, it says on the original post that wormslayer is officially onboard :D woot!

I would suggest a name change to the Ironworm set :P But I think the Ironhand branding has already set in... it'd be like Coca-Cola changing their name now >_<

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: July 01, 2010, 01:55:47 am »

Ah, I see. Never mind.

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #1092 on: July 01, 2010, 02:24:36 am »

Nah the name is cool, at the moment the tileset contains graphics by dozens of people and Ironhand has a whole bunch of credits at the top of the thread :)

3D cage?

:D

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: July 01, 2010, 02:25:41 am »

OHMAGAWD THAT IS AWESOME
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: July 01, 2010, 02:37:57 am »

I just noticed the beds are now glaringly lacking with all this epic, and now its almost 4am here, I need sleep. Off to bed
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 329