Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1235054 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (working on new fluids!)
« Reply #735 on: June 17, 2010, 05:42:49 am »

I must say I like the new tiles you've made here. Almost makes me want to switch from ASCII. Almost.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: June 17, 2010, 06:57:56 am »

(Yes, I'm Canadian, deal with the U's)
I thought colour and such were british,not canadian...
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #737 on: June 17, 2010, 08:39:52 am »

(Yes, I'm Canadian, deal with the U's)
I thought colour and such were british,not canadian...
Unlike the rest of the former Empire, the Canuks still long for the comforting reach of the monarchy to keep them warm at night.  Well, except for the Quebecois, who I personally rank somewhere below elves, but higher than shock (i.e., extremist) talk radio hosts.
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Prastary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: June 17, 2010, 11:32:00 am »

When oh when will be the next update? I'm addicted to them

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: June 17, 2010, 12:25:00 pm »

It'll be sometime this weekend.

Maybe tomorrow, actually. We'll see.

You'll get a brightened color palette,
the new water/sand/snow/magma tiles,
fixed stone tiles, and brand new ore tiles.
Which I have yet to make.
But they'll be cool.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 12:40:06 pm by Ironhand »

Canek

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: June 17, 2010, 05:32:37 pm »

I finally registered to these forums after a month worth of play, just to say:

Damn thank you!

When in ASCII, it felt, well... ASCII.

Then I discovered graphic sets and it was like moving to 8-bit.

And then, today... I moved to Ironhand and it feels like 16-bit.

Thanks!
Build... must.... build.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: June 17, 2010, 06:52:29 pm »

I'm glad you like it!

Hopefully you'll like 0.32 even better.
I'll have it up tomorrow sometime.
Keep an eye out for it.

baalak

• Bay Watcher
  • Nalzar-aung.
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: June 17, 2010, 10:40:25 pm »

I, for one, an looking forward to your next update, Ironhand. I spent the evening reading through all 50 pages of this thread, and I'm even more impressed now than when I commented in your other thread. You are quite skilled, and I hope you never run out of encouragement from your adoring fans, because I'd hate to lose an artist like you. I don't have many suggestions which weren't mentioned many pages ago by others who know more about these things than I do, but I'll see if I can't do my best to help.

If it becomes possible, I would be downright giddy if you could implement differing sprites for the two sexes. Seeing female dwarves with beards fills me with icky shudders.

It was mentioned before, but I would like to suggest again the possibility of turning undead sprites backwards, to readily distinguish between them and the living. I dunno if it's necessary since you greened up the zombies, but it seems yet another easy way to distinguish between them, especially for the colorblind like my flatmate.

I didn't have an issue telling the water and sand apart, and the water was more than bright enough on my monitor, but brightening it up won't be much of an issue for me. I'm merely worried about having a way to discern the depth of water without using a command. I had been hoping you would implement a number over the tile to indicate its depth, even if it was fading into the background and I had to look carefully. I always liked that idea from other tilesets. Without videos it's hard to tell, so I'll just ask: is it easy to tell the direction of water flow with your graphics?

What are the 'n's in the world map? Hills? Is there a way to replace them with a better sprite? Having letters on the map at this point looks out of place with your awesome graphics.

I'm very pleased that you chose to make a square graphics set, and kindly chose ti fit it exactly to my monitor's resolution. That was very thoughtful of you. Thanks again for all your hard work. You have something to be proud of here, and I hope to see it adopted by more of the community.

- Baalak called Hopeful.

EDIT: I gotta say, I'm glad you have your project marked in your sig, or I don't know if I would have found it. Thanks for posting on the 18th page of the Facepalm Moments thread so I could find you, hehe.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 10:56:26 pm by baalak »

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (0.32!!!)
« Reply #743 on: June 18, 2010, 07:50:30 am »

Wow, thanks!

Honestly, your support is what's keeping me around.

Anyway, check it out! 0.32!

New, brightened color scheme!
The new water/fluid tile! Also brighter.

New loose stone tile (including tile magic background).
Using old loose stone tile (plus tile magic background) for loose ore.

Zombie and skeleton critters have been flipped horizontally.

(also, 50 pages! Woop~)

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: June 18, 2010, 07:58:15 am »

If it becomes possible, I would be downright giddy if you could implement differing sprites for the two sexes.

I know, right? I'm really excited about that prospect as well. It is definitely up there on my list.

It was mentioned before, but I would like to suggest again the possibility of turning undead sprites backwards...

Done!

I'm merely worried about having a way to discern the depth of water without using a command.

That's actually set in your .init file. I like to see the water unobstructed by numbers, but if you want numbers to show up instead,
there's a setting in the init file that'll get that done for you.

What are the 'n's in the world map? Hills? Is there a way to replace them with a better sprite?

Yeah, that's been bothering me, too. I tried a little while ago to put my ground tile behind all the text, which would be kinda cool, I think. But I can't put it behind the empty spaces around the text (because they're set to color:0:0:0, which just blacks out everything)... So short answer: not really. And if I did, that character would be used for n's in text as well.

I'm very pleased that you chose to make a square graphics set, and kindly chose ti fit it exactly to my monitor's resolution. That was very thoughtful of you. Thanks again for all your hard work. You have something to be proud of here, and I hope to see it adopted by more of the community.

Thanks! That makes my day.

Everybody enjoy the new version!

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (0.32! Brighter color scheme!)
« Reply #745 on: June 18, 2010, 08:10:52 am »

Looks great! Very vibrant, and I really like the look of the new loose stone tile.

In celebration, here is my hospital and jail. The dwarf on the bed was recently horribly wounded by the nice looking new goblins. Man, are they tough in this version or what?

Spoiler: Picture (click to show/hide)

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: June 18, 2010, 08:14:24 am »

Nice!

I assume he has a cat.  = P

Also, I intend to fix those black squares around buckets and chains for version 0.33.

Also also, I'm eventually gonna make a new chair tile and a new clothing tile.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 08:16:35 am by Ironhand »

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: June 18, 2010, 08:20:05 am »

Yes, he's got the only cat in the fortress, who apparently finds it necessary to shower his owner with vermin remains.

Need_More_War!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: June 18, 2010, 08:22:19 am »

This set is looking great and I always look forward to seeing new updates to it, Thanks for all your work Ironhand.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: June 18, 2010, 08:52:41 am »

Grreat job, dude.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 329