Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1233257 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set
« Reply #150 on: April 20, 2010, 07:33:10 pm »

There are only a handful of actual minerals in the game that should have any colour other than grey.
I respectfully disagree. I'd rather have easy-to-identify minerals than realistic ones. Particularly, I'd like valuable ores - copper, iron, gold - to have very distinctive colors.
Personally, i can't wait until we can assign them graphics tiles...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

SiN.Daeus

• Bay Watcher
  • IT LIVES
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 21, 2010, 01:52:21 am »

This is an incredible tileset!

I think, for the drunk you should add beer stains onto his shirt. Also, maybe the wrestler be standing in a 'power pose' and have his arms out, ready to fight. Also, the mace for the macedwarf is kinda hard to see. And the Elite Sworddorf should have his sword up cause it makes him more distinguishable.
The best kind of music is
---]HEAVY[---
---]HEAVY[---
---]METAL[---

Arucard

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 21, 2010, 06:44:00 am »

Yeah, I can't wait for this thing to be done, it seems to be the first completely new graphic set for a while. Everything looks really great and unique, I hope you are able to do the other civs eventually too. ;D

hermano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 21, 2010, 09:03:03 am »

I love the clear and simplistic look of your dwarfs. It's very dwarfenly. I'll be watching your progress (and hope that you get around to work on a 16x16 version when you are done with this :) ).

Harmonica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 22, 2010, 05:21:12 am »

There are only a handful of actual minerals in the game that should have any colour other than grey.
I respectfully disagree. I'd rather have easy-to-identify minerals than realistic ones. Particularly, I'd like valuable ores - copper, iron, gold - to have very distinctive colors.

Well, what I meant was, there are only a few that take colour in real life. So yes you can have gold be gold and iron be brown and so on, but there's not much point in having every stone multi-coloured since they're all relatively useless. Bauxite for example is bright red, when it's grey in real life and looks much better in game as a dull stone tile. There are lots that should be plain white, like chalk, and don't lose anything for being so.

In my tileset, I use the icons to separate the special ones (gold, copper, etc) from the useless stones. Gold and copper look different in the walls and when dug out, for example.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 22, 2010, 09:05:51 am »

Yeah, that's true. A lot of people, especially, dislike the brightest useless stones, like microcline. So those should be toned down a bit.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 22, 2010, 01:01:17 pm »

Yeah, I kinda go back and forth on that issue. On one hand, it's kinda cool to
use a gritty, soberly colored stone set. Easier on the eyes and kinda immersive.
It also helps deal with the issue of sharp tile edges because they're all so similar.

Although, I also kinda like making colorful fortresses, with patterns and brightly
colored rooms for nobles or dining halls. But I guess you can use metal for that...

Right now I'm thinking I want more of a walls-look-like-walls kind of thing,
where the differences between different types of natural stone are very subtle,
because I feel like that will allow people to differentiate without destroying the
lovely symmetry of their fortresses. I'm totally open to suggestions, though.

Gosh, this week is rough! Still no new art. I've barely had time to breathe.

Harmonica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 23, 2010, 09:17:43 pm »

There are some sets which have too many different similar tiles for rock types, and they are pretty hard to look at for long periods because everything bleeds into each other. Although realistically the rocks have different formations, when you put those tiles all together it's all a bit nuts.

Having certain types use strata like formations, and others use solid colour or simple hashing is quite nice. Also gold using lumpy rocks, and copper using nuggets, and so on.

Remember you can change the tiles for when they are dug out of the wall to something different (I have pretty much all stone as just a pile of rubble, with useful stuff individual looking).

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 24, 2010, 10:49:33 am »

Wait, you can change the tiles used for mined stone?
I thought it was always just boulders for rocks and *s for ore...

Harmonica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 24, 2010, 11:59:45 am »

In the raws, [TILE:x] is the unmined tile, [ITEM_SYMBOL:x] is the tile used when it's mined out.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 24, 2010, 12:02:36 pm »

Awesome saucepan. I will mess around with that.

jarganaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 24, 2010, 12:52:25 pm »

I really like your dwarves so far, cant wait to see the finished product.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 25, 2010, 08:43:42 am »

Quote from: The Development Logs
...the SDL/OpenGL/40d# merge is underway...

Yay.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 25, 2010, 11:55:13 am »

oh god that is scary.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 25, 2010, 12:51:20 pm »

what
i don't even
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 329