Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The downsides of the new military management...  (Read 972 times)

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
The downsides of the new military management...
« on: April 06, 2010, 05:29:10 am »

This is a PSA by FTP

Gotta say, aside from the "I think i'll not work properly right now" mentality of the new management screen, I do love it. It's not hard to understand and gives many different possitibilities to approach military management itself. However, it also introduced me to an important lesson of the new release:

There is no room for "fashion sense" on the battlefield!

Seriously, cloaks for fighters are an awesome thing fashion-like. They broaden the silhouette and cover a big part of the body. They look good. As well as hoods. They cover a lot of the head, leading to a slight shady aspect on the wearer. Giving my dwarven sword fighters hoods seemed a good idea to me at this point.

Unfortunately though, after a goblin attack, I realized that this was a very, very bad idea. Having a goblin piercing the captain's head's skin, muscle and skull and tickling (bruising) his brain taught me otherwise.

Kids, helmets save lifes!

I am willing to file this under "you SHOULD have know that", but hey. One can't blame someone for having a sense of fashion, eh?

edit:
I feel umeasurably stupid after reading up that, in facts, hoods can be worn OVER helmets. tough luck.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 05:37:15 am by TigerPlushie »
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
Re: The downsides of the new military management...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 05:51:33 am »

I feel umeasurably stupid after reading up that, in facts, hoods can be worn OVER helmets. tough luck.
I believe it's even an option you can choose in the military menu :D
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 05:55:34 am »

I believe it's even an option you can choose in the military menu :D

Indeed. I think you can assign a helmet and a hood to a uniform. Too bad I didn't think of that and rather fell to the charm of hooded characters from games like oblivion and the like. I mean, cmon. Doesn't that just look... m-mmh!

But then again, Oblivion didn't have that magnificent damage system DF has...

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 06:02:51 am »

I'm hoping in future versions seeing guards in cool looking uniforms will give some sort of a happy thought
Thank you based dwarf.

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 06:09:23 am »

As an aside, I think, with the new armour system, giving your fighters clownite cloaks will actually be a fairly sound tactical decision, since it'll make them nigh-invulnerable to cutting attacks.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 06:17:22 am »

As an aside, I think, with the new armour system, giving your fighters clownite cloaks will actually be a fairly sound tactical decision, since it'll make them nigh-invulnerable to cutting attacks.

Actually, you can wear an entire outfit of clownite clothing, followed by a full set of clownite armor.

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 06:34:06 am »

Actually, you can wear an entire outfit of clownite clothing, followed by a full set of clownite armor.

Oh boy! Super bozo warrior! Send in the clowns!

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 06:52:26 am »

Retinal scarring all around.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?