Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: God help me, I was only 19  (Read 4454 times)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
Re: God help me, I was only 19
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2010, 05:47:41 pm »

They're called the enemy. And when it's civilians soldiers kill, it's known as collateral damage. Here's how I feel about that:

I despise it. I hate it utterly that civilians are dying at the hands of allied soldiers. I hope to God that if it was intentional, those that do it are brought to justice, but I know in most cases they won't be. And if it was accidental, it doesn't make it any better. But here's the thing about that. There's a war on in that country, with an active and very dangerous insurgency. Civilian casualties are not good, to put it very, very mildly, but they are unavoidable, you have to realize that. Minimization of civilian casualties is the best option we're going to get.

As for the killing of insurgents, they're the enemy. If they're actively trying to kill our soldiers and our soldiers kill them, well, it's war. That's what happens. Again, unavoidable.

And whilst all this is going on, Australian forces (not just Australian forces, obviously) are working to rebuild the country.

So yeah, people are going to die. It'll happen, and it's impossible to stop, so the best you can hope for is that the allied forces try their hardest to make the country better, even in the middle of a war.

One mans insurgent is another mans freedom fighter.

I think one of the main problems was that with Afghanistan, when we helped them kick out the soviets, we just left them to rebuild. Obviously that didn't work out overly well for them, so now we've gone to the other extreme of establishing ourselves as an almost perminant force in their country. Which is also obviously not working.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2010, 05:52:16 pm »

I do agree with you. What I don't agree with is the claim that Australian forces are using the guise of rebuilding a country as an excuse to kill insurgents. They already have an excuse, namely the whole 'war' thing. I don't think there's some conspiracy in which the government is lying about rebuilding the country just so they could go in there... or something. What was it you said again, Cow? I'm having trouble discerning the meaning there.

As for the insurgent-freedom fighter thing, how people see them doesn't change my point. They are attacking our soldiers, and our soldiers are attacking back. That's war.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2010, 05:57:07 pm »

So yeah, people are going to die. It'll happen, and it's impossible to stop, so the best you can hope for is that the allied forces try their hardest to make the country better, even in the middle of a war.
You cant make a country better in the middle of a war. If they wanted to help the best thing they could have done is stay the fuck out.

You could say their at least trying to rebuild what they destroyed but dont go and make it look like their doing the country any favors.

What was it you said again, Cow?
The focus of Australia in Afghanistan is to kill the enemy. Their focus is not to rebuild the country.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2010, 10:07:34 pm »

Would I ever fight in a war? Yes.

On one condition however: that the war in question be a CIVIL war, where the southern United States tries to separate from the north... again!

Now, I'm not sure if Obama would measure up to ol' Lincoln, but I would feel obligated to take up arms to keep the union whole. Why, you might ask? Because both Aqizzar and Janet will be among the southern ranks, and I'm sorry to say that the odds will be stacked against us Northerners considering that.

We'll need all the help we can get, and so, saying that, I'm preemptively conscripting Toony. Toonster, I know for a FACT that you're from Canada or Maine or Rhode Island or something, and thus are obligated to fight by my side in the American Civil War 2. Jakkarra, you might be British if I remember correctly, so take a catamaran, go across the Atlantic and head up the Mississippi. You probably won't survive the actual combat, but it might distract Aqizzar long enough to deal a decisive blow in a dramatic, slow-mo fashion; preferably with an American flag, just like Mel Gibson in "The Patriot". That was such a good movie.

Don't think it won't happen people, we have to be prepared for everything! No offense Janet/Aqizzar, but in situations like that, it's friend against friend and brother against brother, there's no room for cowardice. You understand.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 10:18:32 pm by JoshuaFH »

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2010, 10:12:45 pm »

They may have the Baron, but I think we have the Duke.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2010, 10:24:46 pm »

The nonsensical nowhere will rise again!  The War* of Northern Aggression never ends for the faithful, and we will not stand for this unspecified tyranny any longer.  I welcome the challenge countryman - my side of said country will prove its efficacy, when honor outs in the end.

*Pronounced "wauh", as in, "The Wauh of North'rn Aggression".
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2010, 10:39:12 pm »

I would so join up for a Civil War. Josh, I might even beat you to the front, what with being a state further south. I've been waiting for a chance to use my sniper on something besides coyotes.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

SiN.Daeus

• Bay Watcher
  • IT LIVES
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2010, 11:19:26 pm »

Well, I wanna be a combat medic... So if I was on the front line, I'd rather stick my hand into somebody's gaping wound to stop the bleeding than be shooting a gun.

Still though, being a medic would be better than just your average footsoldier.
Why?

Because you're less expendable.
The best kind of music is
---]HEAVY[---
---]HEAVY[---
---]METAL[---

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2010, 11:21:56 pm »

@OP: Well, I personally would never shoot anyone. Luckily for me, there's no chance of me having to do that, as my dad's family has had a history of heart issues, I don't meet many of the physical requirements (not from unhealthiness, I assure you.), and that I know enough about electronics to have a minor college degree.

If drafted, I'd end up as an electrician, engineer, or somesuch like that.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2010, 11:24:14 pm »

The nonsensical nowhere will rise again!  The War* of Northern Aggression never ends for the faithful, and we will not stand for this unspecified tyranny any longer.  I welcome the challenge countryman - my side of said country will prove its efficacy, when honor outs in the end.

*Pronounced "wauh", as in, "The Wauh of North'rn Aggression".

My favorite (sort of) bumper sticker of all time was "Halftime Score: Union 1, Confederacy 0."
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2010, 11:25:59 pm »

Well, I wanna be a combat medic... So if I was on the front line, I'd rather stick my hand into somebody's gaping wound to stop the bleeding than be shooting a gun.

Still though, being a medic would be better than just your average footsoldier.
Why?

Because you're less expendable.

On the flip side, if videogames have taught me anything it's always take the medic down first.

You'll have to use your heavy as a human shield i suppose. :P

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2010, 11:27:40 pm »

Why be a medic? I'd go for paladin, ultimate solo ability with a high AC/nerd.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2010, 11:29:23 pm »

Why be a medic? I'd go for paladin, ultimate solo ability with a high AC/nerd.

Never heard of the "nerd" stat before. Pretty surprising since I've probably put so many points into it.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2010, 11:40:25 pm »

No. Mostly because I'd be too cowardly.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2010, 11:42:37 pm »

Seriously, I would love to do something though if it was approved tactics, with large infantry forces. None of this scan the crowd for suspicious-but-civilian-looking-guys crap, and no hiding from helicopters and airstrikes all day. Mob A and Mob B and a killing field between them.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6