Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: God help me, I was only 19  (Read 4458 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
God help me, I was only 19
« on: April 06, 2010, 02:56:30 am »

Hey hey, guess what song I've been listening to! Go on, guess.

So I got to thinking and I decided something. I couldn't do it. I could not, of my own accord, bring myself to join up with the army, not because I'm opposed to it, but because I'm not strong enough to do it and I'm not sure I ever will be. That said, should I be drafted, or forced to fight by some means, I would fight, I'd do the job in front of me. I think (but don't know, because how can you?) that I would, although I'm pretty sure that's just the whole 'thousands and thousands of miles apart from any real war' thing talking. I just think that if I had a job to do and no way out short of deserting, I'd do it.

What I want to know is, would you? I know that if you aren't planning on joining the army, then you're probably never going to and I'm aware that that'd be the overwhelming majority of people on the forums. What I want to know is if, by chance or design, you ended up a soldier on the front lines, would you fight? And again, I'm aware that what you say might not (probably won't be) the truth, and the only way to find the truth would be actually making you a soldier, plonking you in a war zone and seeing what happens but be that as it may, I'm interested to know.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
Re: God help me, I was only 19
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 02:57:39 am »

KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 03:06:11 am »

For survival, I would shoot rather than be shot. I would say I'm against war, but I don't really know. I would have to know a lot more than I do now about the situation. If the enemy honestly wanted me as a person dead and worked towards it, I would shoot. But if it's over something such as resources or some bullshit reason like most wars are, I wouldn't fight.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 03:09:32 am »

I would join either special forces or the air force if I joined the military.
In terms of shooting stuff, I would do it under the right circumstances.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 03:25:22 am »

Jack, are you me?  I was actually listening to that song just earlier today, and it got me thinking about what it would be like for me to be in the military.  I do know the slightest bit about that, because my father joined the Navy when he was my age, and he's told me plenty of bitter stories about his take on it.

I've come to conclusion that the only way I'd ever be a uniform is if I was drafted, and then I'd do everything in my power to get kicked out without actually being Dishonorably Discharged.  It all comes down to the fact that I will not follow any order that I don't see the point of myself.  I could do any real job a military asked of me.  But I would take lashes before I went around saluting, wearing a uniform, or doing any of that other military crap.  I follow orders that lead to real action, I don't follow orders just for the sake of following orders.

The whole point of boot camp is to train you to do what you're told, for the very good reason that a person in combat should react immediately to what they're told instead of pondering it.  Ergo, not only would I be spending every waking moment making an ass of myself, the first time I'm shot at, if I don't just find a hole to hide in, I'd probably catch a bullet in my big mouth while arguing about something.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 03:28:59 am »

I don't know why, but I don't think I'd look for a way out. I'd just do it.

Actually, I don't know why. Mostly because I work best when I don't think for myself, which is kind of appalling. But at the same time, I like to think I wouldn't kill civilians, at a very basic level. I mean, there could be mitigating circumstances that'd lead to me killing civilians but I'd never be able to justify that to myself and it would probably destroy me emotionally for the rest of my life.

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 03:40:59 am »

Well, if I was presented with the choice of basically having to either fight in a war, or be shot on the spot, of course I'd fight.
I'd slaughter, maim, and murder my way through the situation and try to survive by any means possible as all I care for is to live. Morals is no problem for me.
I think I even would be able to murder children if it would save me.
Anything to survive, man. Anything goes.
I would hate it, and I would never forgive myself. But I would still do it.
And for you guys' information. I would rather shoot myself in both my knees, and stab myself till I couldn't see straight, than join the army.
I guess I would be a waste of their time more than they'd waste mine.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 03:44:45 am »

Mostly because I work best when I don't think for myself, which is kind of appalling.

Well, I suppose that's the foundation of management versus working.  I know at my job, I get along fine without making any decisions about anything on my own, and when left to my own devices with some task, it tends to go slower.  I can call this in line with my "philosophy" above (or whatever I can call it), because I understand what I'm being told to do at work.  If I don't, I ask questions about it until either I do understand what's happening, or I get the person who's telling me to do it to realize what they're telling me doesn't make sense.  Or they admit they don't understand it either, but someone above them wants it done, and ultimately nobody's life is on the line over my crappy job.

I mean, there could be mitigating circumstances that'd lead to me killing civilians but I'd never be able to justify that to myself and it would probably destroy me emotionally for the rest of my life.

And can you tell me, doctor, why I still can't get to sleep?
And night time's just a jungle dark and a barking M.16?
And what's this rash that comes and goes, can you tell me what it means?
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 03:47:13 am »

That, I think, is the first song to ever make my eyes even remotely moist, ever.

Australia turns out some pretty good stuff.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 04:11:04 am »

What song is this?

I was listening to 'hero of war' not long ago, too...

But anyway. I'd do it. If I was drafted, I mean. Australia usually is pretty good with their wars, except lately, when they've dragged us into some unwinnable ones. Bugger that. I want to be the guy in the good guy uniform, shooting at a guy in a bad guy uniform. Otherwise I'd probably shoot myself in the foot, and run to america shouting 'purple heart plz'. No point getting knocked by an IED when there's nobody you can shoot back at.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 04:12:14 am »

I will fight for Truth, Justice, and the American Way. I will not fight for Exxon-Mobile's bottom line.
!!&!!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 04:15:44 am »

Putting some more thought into it - I have in the past considered what it would be like if I went military.  Ironically enough given the current climate, the only combat-position I'd feel comfortable with would be in helicopters.  It's an easy way to fight a war after all.

To me anything that isn't combat is just a normal business job, but with crappier pay, no afternoons or weekends, and a lot more people yelling at you all the time.  I can get that kind of job without enlisting, and I choose not to for a reason.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 04:40:38 am »

Are we talking about the Redgum version, or the Herd version?
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 04:44:54 am »

I dunno... If I was made a soldier, would I kill?

Depends on how much they pay me, and how big my guns are. The fatter the paycheque, and the bigger the gun, the more my willingness increases.

Ideally, I'd get my own mech. :D

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 04:50:04 am »

It's good to see humor in a serious topic.

Wait. Not really.

But anyway. If WE were the unfindable guerilla fighters, I'd be so in. I wouldn't even bother with the army, I bet. If they invaded the country, I'd grab some guns, knives, and mates, and make those bastards fear the dark.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6