Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Blooding animals.  (Read 2437 times)

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
Blooding animals.
« on: April 06, 2010, 01:59:29 am »

It's something practiced by any number of real-world groups-certain African tribes, Russians, the Polish-pretty much anyone needing to live on a slim diet.

That said, it would be nice if there was an option in the Farmer's Workshop to Bleed Animal. Cooking it into Black Pudding or Blood Sausage would provide an excellent way to feed dwarves while preserving animals you can't afford to kill.

Plus, with the wonkiness of farming and hunting this version, it would provide a much-needed source of food.

Comments? Compliments? Complaints?

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Blooding animals.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 05:06:32 am »

Not only is it plausible, it's dwavenly!

BLOOD FOR THE MOTHERFACKING BLOOD GOD! *raises goblet full of blood*
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 05:11:01 am »

I'm all for blood being generated in butchery for cooking into black pudding or sausage (like to see sausage making as well) but not so much deliberately bleeding your cattle. Perhaps the animal cruelty civ trait could govern if a civ found it acceptable or not, and so our modded goblin fortresses would have cows bled. As well as elf slaves. Mmm, elf-blood wine. That Alwynne is a good vintage!
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 06:44:32 am »

Said animal cruelty should be an option when the food stocks are critically low. Civ ethics would reflect such. Goblins probably wouldn't be too squeamish about it even when food is plentiful.

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 09:06:11 am »

You can currently buy barrels of blood, and I don't think they have any sort of use right now, toady actually setting the kitchen so that you need specific ingredients to make specific foods would work really well - no more seventy item stacks of sugar coated sugar glazed sugar roasts for one.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 09:15:49 am »

I'm all for blood being generated in butchery for cooking into black pudding or sausage (like to see sausage making as well) but not so much deliberately bleeding your cattle. Perhaps the animal cruelty civ trait could govern if a civ found it acceptable or not, and so our modded goblin fortresses would have cows bled. As well as elf slaves. Mmm, elf-blood wine. That Alwynne is a good vintage!

I must say that far worse acts can be committed against animals in DF than bleeding a cow every now and then. I mean, it wouldn't make much sense to just slaughter the cow there and then and use up all the blood if you only have very few cows? Black pudding in the Scottish Highlands was created for that very reason, as you could make a quick, filling meal out of your oats while on the move and you wouldn't need to even kill the cows, which would certainly have been in a small number.

We're not talking about getting a cow, tying it up and bleeding it onto an altar as much as we are getting all the cows together once a month and filling a small bucket.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 01:44:38 pm »

This could probably be modded in with the milking code, which has some form of cooldown on it to prevent overmilking.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 09:14:24 pm »

This could probably be modded in with the milking code, which has some form of cooldown on it to prevent overmilking.

Exactly.

Also, merely bleeding an animal a little once a month or so is not hardly so heinous as you think. The african tribe I mentioned does it to ensure the health of their herds while still eating well.

Bleeding sentients, though, that I could see as evil.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 02:59:56 am »

As an avid consumer of black pudding, I'm all in favor of this.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 08:25:38 am »

First off, king doom, you are a foolish person. Making recipes hardcoded would be entirely the opposite direction from the entire rest of DF. Kitten with kitten and kitten roasts are part of the fun of DF.

Secondly, I kinda support this, but only if getting food is more difficult. Otherwise it's just one more irritating thing I always have to scroll past to get the thing I actually want.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 12:49:45 pm »

First off, king doom, you are a foolish person. Making recipes hardcoded would be entirely the opposite direction from the entire rest of DF.

It's probably unwise to call people foolish based on bad assumptions.  He didn't say anything about hardcoding -- most likely he meant using cookability classes for materials and items to constrain the recipe generation process.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 12:54:03 pm »

True, I should have asked for greater clarification before attacking him.

King Doom, please clarify.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 03:06:51 pm »

True, I should have asked for greater clarification before attacking him.

King Doom, please clarify.
Yeah, then you can attack him.

Seriously, though: Bleeding!

This could be part of a new field of veterinary practice, that allows dwarves to practice basic medical techniques on the non-sapient portion of the fortress population.

After all, if you're going to bleed them again later, you need to stop the bleeding, prevent infection, and cover the wound.

The cattle might not enjoy the process, but donating a little blood won't hurt them and they might get some use of of the practitioner's skills if they ever get a more serious wound.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 05:35:26 pm »

Animal caretaking should probably consist of feeding and other such labor. Right now, it's supposedly the veterinary skill and it's a bit misleading of a title.

The orders menu should have a toggle or two for animal healing after bleeding. Sutures, bandages etc should all be disabled by default. Good practice but very wasteful. Washing should be limited to water. Doing actual medical procedures on animals should be separate from patching up bleeder wounds and have separate toggles on whether you want resources wasted on them. Then again, by the time you're doing surgery, you probably kind of need sutures, splints and whatnot. Soap should still be restricted to dwarves though, pets as the possible exception.

One problem I can see is that you can become a grand master vet by just doing stitches. Something like that should require a few cowapults at the very least.

Burneddi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 05:51:29 pm »

I want to be able to bleed elven prisoners too.
Pages: [1] 2