Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Geometry! Trigonometry! Circles!  (Read 9104 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Geometry! Trigonometry! Circles!
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2010, 12:03:01 am »

Hah!  The reason why I find this so funny is because I started as a mechanical engineering major.  Then I got tired of the bullshit and ran screaming towards pure mathematics >_>  Give some courses a whirl!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2010, 03:43:46 am »

@Vector- two perpendicular lines intersect at 90 degrees. Every angle formed by these two lines is 90 degrees. The slopes of the lines, when multiplied, equal -1, as one is the negative inverse of the other.

@Virex- Thank you for that. I didn't factor in the definition of a circle, as I didn't know exactly what it was. (asides from all points that are a given distance from another point in a 2d plane.) The given definition is also helpful, but I'm not understanding the part below. What does 'It' refer to? The line? If so, do you mean 'it intercepts the tan-line and the x=0 line

It's the intercept of the tan-line and the x=0 line

You're pretty close to what I meant. sec(x) is the lenght of the line segment between the centre of the unit circle and the point where the tangent line, as given in the picture, intercepts the line where Y = 0 (Wups, I realised I said X = 0, which would be the cosecant)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2010, 08:10:55 am »

If you want to learn stuff, you can't just come up with completely random ideas and throw them at people and expect them to do the work for you.
I see that now.

Also, now that I've found why tangent lines are placed in the way that they are, that makes sense. As the tangent line approaches the vertical, sec(X) gets incredibly large, which makes sense due to the high Y-intercept of the near-vertical line.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2010, 03:50:18 pm »

You're mixing up sec(x) and csc(x) there.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2010, 09:47:41 pm »

Yeah, I looked a bit more closely and the 'Sec(X) is the length of the line from the center to the Y-intercept of tangent' definition is kind of odd. A secant (line) is a line connecting two points on a circle. Thus, it can't very well be from the center to the tangent.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2010, 11:22:53 pm »

Errrgh. Now you're getting even MORE confused.

sec(x) IS NOT a line segment connecting two points on a circle. It just isn't. At all. Stop confusing those two.

sec(x) IS, however, two things:
  • 1/cos(x)
  • What Virex said: The distance between the center of the unit circle and the point where the tangent line (as defined by the angle) intercepts the x-axis. Seriously, just look at the image posted earlier, it's the big thing labeled "sec".
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2010, 07:50:34 am »

Errrgh. Now you're getting even MORE confused.
Why yes, I am. I'm glad I know what sec(X) is now, but the whole point was to find a correlation between a secant line and the secant function.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2010, 10:18:34 pm »

Since, since it has a relationship to the tangent line, and the tangent line is just a secant line whose chord length approaches 0, I guess you found one.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2010, 10:23:29 pm »

No, actually, I believe youfound one, and I thank you for it.

I'm going to delve into conic sections for a while, and see if I can't see something wacky with them. Thank you all for your help, and I will probably bring my findings here.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2010, 10:24:33 pm »

Vector found it before I noticed. I just helped explain it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2010, 10:30:06 pm »

No, actually, I believe youfound one, and I thank you for it.

I'm going to delve into conic sections for a while, and see if I can't see something wacky with them. Thank you all for your help, and I will probably bring my findings here.

Oh, lovely!  Conic sections are amazing.

Vector found it before I noticed. I just helped explain it.

Thanks  :-[  I don't know how I always manage to find interesting crap I can't explain, though.  Makes my life difficult.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2010, 10:58:26 pm »

Oh, well, thanks to all of you then.  ;D From my experiments with a piece of paper and two party hats, I've found that a hyperbola is formed when a plane intersects the two cones that are tip-to-tip. Hopefully I'll find other cool shapes.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2010, 11:36:53 pm »

Quote from: Barbarossa the Seal God
  I've found that a hyperbola is formed when a plane intersects the two cones that are tip-to-tip.

That's how every conic section is formed. Planar slices through that sort of double-cone structure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conic_section

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2010, 12:11:05 am »

Quote from: Barbarossa the Seal God
  I've found that a hyperbola is formed when a plane intersects the two cones that are tip-to-tip.

That's how every conic section is formed. Planar slices through that sort of double-cone structure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conic_section

Don't spoil it for him!  Let him explore.  He's only 14 or something.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2010, 11:12:32 am »

A piece of paper stuck through a party hat at an oblique angle forms a line shaped like a parabola. It would seem that a great many formulas can be replicated in this way.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4