Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Now that's what I'm talkin bout!  (Read 1346 times)

adam-s

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Now that's what I'm talkin bout!
« on: April 05, 2010, 11:50:16 pm »

After carefully walling off most of an area for some emergency farming in a new fort on DF 2010 I watch as a giant olm comes up a ramp from the deep and goes after a powerful wood cutter.

The wood cutter deftly buries his axe into the olm and high tails it out of there. The Olm continues to harass the farming area so I hastily throw together a two man team to take it down with an actual kill order. A new fort with one axe buried in an Olm and another in the squad leaders hands. His idiot ex peasant underling throws himself at the wounded Olm without a weapon.

What ensues is more pure awesomeness. The Olm dodges a blow from said idiot and then proceeds to latch onto his arm and shake him around. The idiot breaks loose punching the Olm repeatedly and then the Olm charges...bringing both down in a pile. Then the Olm latches on to Idiot's head and shakes him around. Pieces of clothing come loose as the guy is brutally shaken and then "the head is ripped away and remains in the Olm's grip"

The moron literally had his head ripped off by a giant worm thing. Seconds later the militia commander ex stone worker knocks the thing on the head with the actual pommel of the freakin ax and then lobs it's head off in one deft swing.

Holy crap batman that was what I was looking for in this game. I will be donating on payday. The reports are freakin awesome and more detailed then my little story. I'm looking forward to more awesomeness in my badly constructed and thirsty fortress.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Now that's what I'm talkin bout!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 12:27:07 am »

It's these little things that make the game worthwhile to play. Sure there's pathfinding issues and military bugs, but when an alpha game is capable of producing stories like this it makes it all worth it. Bravo to you for diving into the depths of the combat logs and piecing together this tale.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 01:00:36 am »

Bahahaha. Olms are the best. Yeah, the new combat logs are really good for seeing what you've missed.

tweinst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 01:35:56 am »

I just broke into some caverns with a GCS. I sent in my squad of 4 axedwarves and they made short work of it. They chopped off its legs and it died. Its attacks couldn't penetrate the iron chainmail by dwarves were wearing.

JamesP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Friends are Electric
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 03:16:00 am »

My fortress was just savaged by goblins.  Totally savaged.  I had around 70 dwarves, now I have one.  The goblins left me with one dwarf, but not before breaking every major bone in her body, cutting her open and stabbing around at her guts with a pike for a while.  Now, while I know they left before finishing the job (and thus my fortress) because a few of them were killed by traps, I prefer to think of them as just that evil.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 05:53:04 am »

The Vomit monster I mentioned in another thread that eventually caused the downfall of my last fortress "Wallmurdered" (I really should have seen that coming, shouldn't I?), had a combat log that reached 177 pages at one point. Early on, when it was injecting hapless dorfs with "Forgotten Beast Extract", the logs were pure awesome, but once everything that could be chopped off had been chopped off, it just degraded into various dwarves smashing bits and the vomit monster bumping them to death. He offed an entire squad of legendaries by bumping them. Then he went upstairs to the depot where the dwarven caravan was waiting, and proceeded to bump them to death.
Positively spritely for a quadruped that had all of its feet chopped off.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 07:17:50 am »