Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Generally, has the new version made framerate issues better or worse?  (Read 3820 times)

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
Re: Generally, has the new version made framerate issues better or worse?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 03:01:33 am »

Well I just stated that it was rather hard to live off animals, not that booze-cooking was necessary to survive.

Your problem would be no booze, unless you also did some farming. Food-wise, I think livestock should still produce enough even if you're not getting all the miscellaneous offal that's introduced in the new version. Keep in mind that a cow calf nets you 6 units of meat and 6 units of fat (processed to tallow), i.e. 12 food items. Keeping in mind that a dwarf eats ~8 times a year, that's one and a half year's worth of provisions from a single calf.

All you'd have to do would be keep as many females of largish animals (cows, camels, muskoxen, etc.) as you have dwarves in your fortress, and you'd have no problem feeding everyone. I'm not saying that's better than growing vegetables, just that it's feasible.
What are you even talking about? What I meant was planting crops (p-helmets are the easiest), get crops, brew crops, cook part of the brewed crops and you'd have very easy surplus of food and drinks. I just didn't like it was so easy to get "Dwarven wine roast" which sometime sell for about 2-5k dwarfbucks. Now that you get more meat it's more fun to live of animals so you actually eat food instead of magic alcohol pie.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 04:38:41 am »

I run 40d with 200 fps on embark, and it slows to about 100 or so after 30 dwarves.
It started at about 130 on DF2010, and dropped to about 80 after my first immigrant wave... gotta figure out how to remove those zlevels I think.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 06:52:22 am »

What are you even talking about?

I could ask you the same.

Now that you get more meat it's more fun to live of animals so you actually eat food instead of magic alcohol pie.

You never had to cook booze in the first place, regardless of how many food items your livestock produced. That's what I was talking about.

sethwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 07:25:19 am »

It's probably worse, because now it doesn't have the d# stuff. That being said, I embarked 4x4 and am currently up to 70 dwarfs and fps only occasionally dips into the 60s, usually it stays at 100 (my set max). I am using DF Accelerator and have a decent computer with DF set on high priority though.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 07:40:42 am »

You never had to cook booze in the first place, regardless of how many food items your livestock produced. That's what I was talking about.
All I wanted to know, didn't want to sound angry I'm sorry :-[ I just didn't have track of what we were talking about anymore.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 08:16:02 am »

All I wanted to know, didn't want to sound angry I'm sorry :-[ I just didn't have track of what we were talking about anymore.

You've got nothing to apologize for, mate.

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 08:19:23 am »

OT, if I may interrupt:

worse,

worse...
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2010, 09:10:48 am »

About the framerate issue....

*ahem*

if you alter this in your init file:

Use this to set the maximum graphical frame refresh rate during play.

[G_FPS_CAP:20]

and this:

[PARTIAL_PRINT:YES]

You should see substantial increases framerate.  I went from about 60 or so to an unplayable 180, which I had to cap.
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2010, 09:10:57 am »

It's slow. Slow and painful. Pathfinding is totally broken now, and you need to save and reload to force the game to make the dwarves path anywhere. All sites have (unless you modify the world gen) 150 z levels. It's about as bad as it sounds, once you start digging.

sethwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2010, 10:53:20 am »

It's slow. Slow and painful. Pathfinding is totally broken now, and you need to save and reload to force the game to make the dwarves path anywhere. All sites have (unless you modify the world gen) 150 z levels. It's about as bad as it sounds, once you start digging.

Not everyone has the pathfinding issues. I've only had it once, in one of three forts, and only when I was sloppily dealing with irrigation and caused flooding. Also, how does 150 z levels mean anything but "AWESOME!" to a DF player?

Set a GFPS cap of 20 or 30, Partial Print to Yes:2 or something like that, and give it a try. Or go get the DF accelerator. It goes pretty fast. I have a quad core at 2.4 ghz and 4 gigs or ram though, so maybe mine is faster than most.

Although DF uses only a single core.

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2010, 10:56:21 am »

Although DF uses only a single core.
Toady should really optimize this.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.
Pages: 1 [2]