Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My wishlist  (Read 1414 times)

MaxMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My wishlist
« on: April 05, 2010, 11:20:16 pm »

These are just a couple of suggestions of what I would like to see in the future.

Dwarf Fortress Mode:
--------------------
* Choosing what materials to use while using Workshops.
ex: If I would want let's say, a door of the color of stone I want.

* Immigration Office.
ex: I've been thinking about this one for a while now, and after seeing some other people suggest it I though it would be a good idea. Just like a Trade Depot you could build it and immigrants would make a pit stop and stay there for a season. Sending a immigration noble (or something I dunno  :P) you could choose witch immigrants you want in your fortress and witch ones you want to send packing. This could have a certain impact on your fortress.

* Pastures.
ex: This could be a zone that works like meeting places only for animals you'd want there.

Adventurer Mode:
-----------------
*Dungeons/Crypts.
ex: Or other locations of the like really, something more fun than just go through caves all the time.

*Joining a City.
ex: I always kinda wanted to join a city as a worker. You could spend let's say a season helping the town with some work (automated or not) and this could make you some money to start out and maybe raise your fame..

EDIT:
Ah! Almost forgot this one

Dwarf Fortress Mode:
--------------------
* Other Races Migrants.
ex: I'd want these to be rare to very rare, but would be fun to see a elf or human sitting at your door wanting to work for you. Other races could gain more experience in some area and not be able to work in other (such as elves could not mine but could gain alot of experience in wood / clothing related jobs).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 11:39:40 pm by MaxMan »

Auldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My wishlist
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 11:30:42 pm »

The immigration office... While it may make some things too easy, want so much it hurts. Even now that migrants don't suck, I just want to take it slow, which isn't helped by 20+ migrants in a wave. Talking purely from an in universe perspective, random people can't just move in without asking, surely?

The materials thing is at least planned, I believe.

Pastures would really encourage me to use animals more, since having them wandering around bothers me.

I don't see any reason why not, for any of these ideas, really.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 11:02:49 am »

I don't see elves wanting to live with tree murderers for any reason. Having some human Growers mulling about outside and sleeping in log cabins would be fine by me though.

I doubt an immigrant would take no for an answer when he has trekked halfway across the world to a hovel. They'd probably setup a village nearby. Tensions would likely build if you refuse to grant them refuge during times of war.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 11:23:58 am »

A "pasture"/pen zone has probably been suggested before, but would be highly appreciated. I envision it as a zone you designate and then enable for certain animals, like cows and horses. Then you can enclose it with walls and a door or whatever, and your dwarves will bring the animals there. If the door is covered by the pasture zone, it'll be fully impassable to animals that aren't being "hauled".
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 11:41:06 am »

I don't see elves wanting to live with tree murderers for any reason.

Teaching them the better ways of doing things! An elven woodcutter would be slightly (15%?) less efficient, but mark any wood he cuts as non-murdered. Maybe other races could have similar advantages in dealing with civs of that race. Kobolds branding expensive items with the international "not-stealworthy" sign, for example.

Wyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 07:52:24 pm »

I don't see elves wanting to live with tree murderers for any reason.
Pervert elves?

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 10:26:08 am »

A "pasture"/pen zone has probably been suggested before, but would be highly appreciated. I envision it as a zone you designate and then enable for certain animals, like cows and horses. Then you can enclose it with walls and a door or whatever, and your dwarves will bring the animals there. If the door is covered by the pasture zone, it'll be fully impassable to animals that aren't being "hauled".
a pit zone is already in the game, the only difference you have proposed is automatic adding of animals and a fail-safe way of keeping them in.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 11:20:16 am »

I was going to add something about a pasture here, but I kinda got a bit inspired and ended up making my own thread for it here, if anyone has any suggestions or ideas post 'em over there, since I really like the idea.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53513.0