Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 180202 times)

99Hedgehog

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:USE_TILESET: UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing
« Reply #945 on: August 12, 2013, 01:23:09 am »

<<+JOURNAL OF NORKAS+>>
Entry 2: Met another party on our travels through the Humble Nations, lead by one Tragarus Helmbolt, a human. Saved us from a Nothing ambush when we met him. I carved an amulet from wolf bone to show my thanks. It is well crafted. On the image is and image of a human and a nothing. The human is striking down the nothing. This relates to Tragarus helping us. It is encircled with bands of dingo bone. It menaces with spikes of alligator bone.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 03:23:24 am by 99Hedgehog »
[under a terrifying biome]
"Can you describe what the surface is like?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZqFlw6hYg

Oshha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: August 12, 2013, 06:53:05 am »

Just wondering, how did you mod the Nothing into your game?
I give the following note to Rhaken:
I suppose you know who I am by now.  Please keep Lorius from stabbing me when I set up my room next to him.

Oshha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: August 12, 2013, 06:54:47 am »

Journal of Tragarus

The leader of the second group gifted me with a bone amulet of myself striking down a Nothing. I will wear along with my other three.
I give the following note to Rhaken:
I suppose you know who I am by now.  Please keep Lorius from stabbing me when I set up my room next to him.

99Hedgehog

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:USE_TILESET: UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: August 12, 2013, 04:17:46 pm »

Just wondering, how did you mod the Nothing into your game?

Their RAW files are on the front page. Copy and paste them into creature_standard.txt in raw>objects
[under a terrifying biome]
"Can you describe what the surface is like?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZqFlw6hYg

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: August 23, 2013, 11:37:09 am »

Oshha - Sure thing on your character, you'll be in with the next migrant wave. As for the Nothing, simply copy the RAWs in the first post into your creature_standard.txt and gen a new world.

99Hedgehog - Sure thing, as with Oshha you'll be in with the next migrants.

Julien Brightside - Love that picture! The red eyes in the background were a nice touch. ;)

ShadowHammer - Thanks! As with the others you'll be in with the next migrants.

15th Felsite 679 - Afternoon

Brosso grinned widely as he clasped his hands, watching the work unfold around him, the sound of chisel hitting stone and workers hauling tables and chairs music to his ears. He'd managed to get the engraver Felix to agree to smooth out the room of the future tavern, while already several tables and chairs had been brought in with more on the way once the masons were finished.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Stronghammer putting him in charge of setting up the place had been a stroke of luck. People liked taverns, and so it stood to reason that they'd like the one who had set it up. Sure, some would thank Stronghammer who'd given the original order, but many would also thank Brosso for designing, furnishing and establishing it. He was interrupted in his work however Ahra hurried up to him, dressed in the mail of the Iron Guard. The sole non-dwarven member of the Iron Guard insisted that he come down to the Fiery Cistern at once, and after much grumbling the large circus-director agreed to.

What awaited him in the Fiery Cistern was the sight of a gorlak caught in one of the cagetraps that lay at the entrance from the non-colonised parts of the cavern. "Excellent, another attraction for the zoo, or maybe the arena," the dwarf said, nodding.

"It's not that, it's-"

Ahra was interrupted as another voice piped up, rough and clearly straining slightly to make the sounds of the language. "Grawp prefer to be outta cage plees. E want no trouble, jus' gettin' away from da tings in da caves."

Brosso's eyes almost popped out his skull, one hand moving up with a handkerchief to dab at his forehead while another gave his beard a stroke. "Unbelievable. Unbelievable, this ragamuffin creature can speak. Speak!"

"Grawp can speek!" the gorlak repeated.

Brosso's grin got wider as he rubbed his hands together gleefully. "Forget the arena or zoo, you my dear gorlak, will be a star of the circus! Think of it, the 'Amazing Talking Gorlak', why, people will come from far and wide to-"

It was then another voice interrupted. "Not quite, Brosso." Brosso and Ahra spun round to see Derm, with Fori besides him, approaching. It was all he could do for the circus-director to restrain from scowling as he guessed just what they wanted.

"If that gorlak is intelligent enough to speak, you are not making a freak-show out of it. We are all equal in spirit here." Fori said, her measured tones betrayed by her angered glare. She was no great friend of Brosso, and it had not been helped by the dwarf's informal alliance with Imiwa, the elven acolyte that led the traditionalist elves in the community and had branded her a dangerous heretic.

Brosso waved a hand dismissively. "Restrain your preaching to your flock, if you could be so kind, Ms. Fori. I have only the best interests of this community at heart."

"Don't we all," Derm said, his own tone making it clear that he was no buying Brosso's justification.

"Now look here. If this gorlak couldn't speak you'd not have given a care in the world. I shan't accept such blatant double-standards."

"If one gorlak is intelligent enough to speak, then maybe the others are too. Perhaps it might be best to not cage-trap them at all," Fori said quietly.

Brosso's eyes widened with a mix of shock and anger, and he dabbed at his forehead with his handkerchief again. "This-this is blackmail and sabotage of the war effort against our real enemy!" The three of them stood there, exchanging glares while to the side, Ahra simply stood and waited, not wanting to get involved. Grawp likewise, stayed silent. "But very well," Brosso said a last, a momentary scowl flashing across his features, "I shall let it go free. I leave it up to you to try and explain to everyone that we are now letting gorlaks join the community." He glanced down at the caged creature. "I do suggest you think of my offer though, I assure you, work with my circus and you could become one of the best-known entertainers in all of dwarfdom, if not further!"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Jules scanned the valley as he and the ragtag crew of fellow refugees that he joined with made their way through the valley that surrounded the Swamps of Tunneling. They had traveled carefully, never staying in one place long, always moving on in search of the so-called fortress of 'Godsaved', Nomekast. By far one of the most successful of the communities that had sprouted up after most towns and cities had been overrun by the tides of Nothing that swept from north to south.

A wide grin split his face as he saw what they had been searching for for several months now. The towers of walls of Nomekast. The dwarf pointed over at it. "There! There, we've made it!" he called happily to the rest.

"Keep a weather eye out," came a voice. Aeras Alum moved up besides, the human glancing out across the vista of the valley. "By all accounts the damned things like to swarm around the damn place, more than elsewhere."

"Not sure about that, we haven't seen hide nor hair or any of them for the past day," a cheerful voice interrupted. Thantos made his way over, followed by the mule foal and bull calf that had adopted the group, the human's twin swords strapped to his back. "Seems they're all elsewhere."

"Sure, no doubt they're havin' a tea party. Smells more like an ambush to me."

"I wouldn't be so sure, look, they're lowering the drawbridge, they must have seen us. Let's get moving," Jules interrupted, the dwarf glancing up at the two humans flanking him as he stepped down the ridge towards the river. True to Thanos' assessment they reached it safely, and before long were welcomed into the compound, the drawbridge raised behind them. They were welcomed in warmly, but a sense of uneasiness pervaded both the group and the militia on watch as they looked out across the desolate landscape that seemed totally devoid of the usually omnipresent hordes of Nothing, both on the land and in the air. The beasts had shown themselves organised before, what could they be planning now?

Julien Brightside, jrrocks05, Again_Dejavu and wofi, your bios are all up on the first post.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 03:56:26 pm by Aequor »
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Wofi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: August 24, 2013, 12:08:33 am »

(To help reading, everything that isn't "the main text" (mostly them arguing amongst themselves) has been put in parentheses, and the "main text" has been bolded.)

Aeras (Didn't we agree that I was to go first?)(No, we didn't.) and Aarde's (Well, now we have to put me last since otherwise it would just be you twice.)(Why can't it be me twice?) Journal
Entry One: (Five hundred and seventy six!)(We agreed we would start over the damn numberin'!)(Oh, right. I remember.)
I (Don't leave it at that, it would be confusin'!)(God damn, no it wouldn't!), or rather, we, have arrived. There were, oddly, (Why do you keep usin' that damn word, "oddly"? It's like your favorite word or somethin'!)(It's such a good word, though!)(Not when you usin' it as if it's some kind of damn comma!) none of the Nothings (That's not what those damn things are called!)(Yes, it is! What else would you call them?)(There are millions of damn things you could call them! I can barely list them!)

(Most of the rest of the entry is them arguing over what to call the Nothings, with the following at the end.)

around the entrance of the damn place. (That's odd, right?)(I'm pretty damn glad you didn't say "oddly"! You put that in every damn entry we do!)(No, I don't! The first couple we did didn't have it in it!)(Yes, they did!)
Manager of Hugh Mann the Dabbler.
0-2-0

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #951 on: August 25, 2013, 02:21:43 pm »

Story part:

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: August 25, 2013, 07:27:42 pm »

Thud's Journal

I made a new friend! His name is Grawp. He is nice but he is stuck in a cage. I want to get him out because that would be a good thing to do.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: August 26, 2013, 04:45:50 pm »

Felsite 679

The new inhabitants had been welcomed easily into the fort, Thantos had joined to help the militia, bringing his swordsmanship to aid them. Jules meanwhile had made his skills as an engraver known, and had asked to see the mayor Stronghammer to discuss it once the mayor was finished arranging the industries and his new projects. Aeras' other personality Aarde meanwhile had been happily welcomed by the dwarves as another geologist to held for future mining work. Grawp however, had received a less than ideal welcome. The reservations Brosso had had were shared by many in the fort, despite Derm asking them to at least give the gorlak a chance. In the end, the troll Thud had broken open the cage, having apparently thought that the fact that the rest of the community was taking so long to free him was due to a lost key or some other minor inconvenience. It didn't take long for Grawp to form a friendship with the troll, the two easily the more 'extreme' members of the community.

20th Felsite 679 - Noon

Mifava Nitharenmo found Ibruk at the temple, kneeling before the altar, Kadzar doing likewise behind him. As she pulled open the iron door the pair rose and looked to her. Ibruk was the first to react, touching his hands reverently to the floor and giving the altar a bow before he stood up to speak to her. "Ah, pilgrim Mifava, I am glad to see you here. Have you come to pray? There is a service this evening to Dustik Bulbearths if you are interested."

"Forgive me, Ibruk, but I came to speak to you, not to pray. I hope I am not interrupting?"

The prophet waved a hand dismissively. "Not at all, brother Kadzar and I were just meditating." He moved closer to her, leaning on his stick. "So, good Mifava, what can I do for you once more?"

She looked down at him, well over two heads taller than the dwarf. "I have been thinking about your words, about the Blight. You mentioned the prophecies of the 'Ocean Princess', and the 'Blind Prophet of the Broken Rock', I would be much interested to learn more, so I came to ask if you keep any copies of these texts I may be able to read."

Ibruk said nothing for several seconds, one hand stroking his long beard. "Well I am always happy to help a fellow pilgrim better understand the ways of the divines and the mission we have been entrusted with; unfortunately I fear I cannot help you for the texts of the Blind Prophet. The old clergy held a strong grip on any copies and I was not able to salvage one before our pilgrimage to Nomekast. If any copies remain they will have been lost or abandoned back in the Grizzly Vessel, far south. I do, however, have a copy of the prophecies of the blessed Ocean Princess. A modern adaptation by the scholar Thikut Toolactions some 70 years ago, the original prophecy dates from the late 2nd century, the writing was slightly archaic. Brother Kadzar, if you could be so kind." Kadzar nodded, moving back to the altar and pushing aside the cloth beneath the table, revealing several books and scrolls piled up, litanies, writings and holy books that Ibruk or others of his flock had saved and brought with them to Nomekast. The temple priest rummaged through the piled for a few seconds, pulling out a scroll that had seen better days, passing it over to Ibruk.  Ibruk unrolled it, holding it at both ends in his hands. "You must understand if I insist on keeping the scroll here, not to slight your good self, but it can be so easy to misplace or lose a scroll, and for such a holy writing that would be shameful indeed. So then, pilgrim Mifava, what parts were you particularly interested in?"

"The Collapse of Hell, I believe you mentioned it as the Ocean Princess' writings?"

"Indeed," the dwarf replied, eyes scanning the page. "Ah, here, only a short part of her divine prophecies, and yet so very much the crucial part." He proffered the scroll to Mifava who took it, reading the lines he'd indicated;

The vaults were gone, hell collapsed
The dwarves had failed, their duties lapsed
The bright towns were ash, kings of steel
Had fallen to dark and lost their zeal
On floors of slade stole the tide
The powerful were smote and lost their pride
Hell collapsed, the vaults agape
Up came the hordes in one great shape
The shadows above in a wave woke
To rebirth in blood and shards of smoke
The world swept away, blazed in its sin
But remain the shards and the god within

The elf read the line several times, committing them to memory before she handed the scroll back to Ibruk, who gave her a warm smile. "I do hope that helps," he said, delicately re-rolling the scroll up and passing it to Kadzar, who moved to return it into its place. "And please do think on that service, we are always happy to welcome another to the temple."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Afternoon

Stronghammer Fireforge was sat in his office, looking down at the sheafs of paper on his desk. Across from him, Jules sat, patiently waiting for a response. The mayor took a while to examine the worn sketches, taking in their details before one hand moved to stroke his beard, nodding. "Yes, this seems excellent," he said at last, "the auditorium is currently being cleared of the mined stone at the moment, once it is done, I'd be delighted to have you work on smoothing and engraving; people need reminding of how far we've come, and their spirits lifting. Have you met our other engraver Felix? Quiet dwarf, but very much the hard worker, I'm sure he'd be glad to help you once he finishes with Brosso on the tavern...and there's that gorlak too, say's it - I mean he - is quite the engraver too, you should at least give him a chance."

The engraver nodded, a smile moving onto his features as he collected up his sketches. He was, after all, an engraver first and foremost, and so delighted to hear that he wouldn't be trapped doing menial work planting or hauling stone between the levels. "Thank you very much Mayor Fireforge, I'll be sure to get to work as soon as possible."

Stronghammer nodded, waving Jules out of his office just in time for another knock to sound and for the militia commander Tarran to step through, followed by the elf Mifava. He beckoned the pair in and they took the seats opposite, the elf still over a head taller than both Dwarves when sat down.

Stronghammer looked down at his agenda. "Now then, Tarran and Ms...Nitharenemo? I believe you wanted to talk to me about the militia?"

Tarran nodded as Mifava took out some more sheafs of paper with plans on them, placing them on Stronghammer's desk. "That's right," the militia commander said, "Mifava here approached me coupla days ago with some ideas about reforming the militia further. Thought you'd be interested to hear."

"That's right, you can see here, I've drawn up some plans for consolidating the barracks into a full military compound," the elf said, pointing to the map, "drill yard, quarters for the militia, a mess hall, hospital, bathing area, a moat,"

"The moat might not be practical here, but it's still a good idea," Tarran interjected.

Stronghammer stroked his beard thoughtfully with a hand, nodding slowly as he inspected the plans. "I see, yes. If we empty out the old area the thieves were holed up in, we can easily set it up." A small smile lit his features, "I'd be glad to put you two in charge, make it so."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Evening

Bax leant back in his chair, putting his boots up onto the table. "So then, what exactly have we got planned? We've been sitting on our thumbs for months now, ain't no way to run a Thieves' Guild," the goblin asked.

Opposite him, shrouded as ever in his cloak, Stas gave a shrug, the dwarf's face impassive. "We are holding a low profile, quite essential in our line of work, I assure you."

Standing on his chair to be able to reach the same level as the others, the kobold Konith drummed his fingers on the stone table in the hide-out. "The police are too busy arresting philosophers. They're not looking for us with any real effort, Atis has told us as much." The small dwarven girl turned to look at the kobold from where she stood near Bax, not saying a word. "Complacency doesn't lead to much."

Stas gave a small sigh. "Yes, I rather suppose you are both right. Of course I anticipated as much, which is why I called you here in the first place." The dwarf moved a hand into a sleeve, plucking out a small scroll he unrolled out onto the table between them. Bax moved his feet off the table, leaning forward, while Konith held on as he pulled himself closer.

"Maps of the stores?" Bax asked, raising an eyebrow.

A smile reached Stas' face. "Of course." He leant down, picking something off the floor and dropping it onto the table with a loud sound. A pickax. "Konith, my fellow, you remember what you told me you heard at the circus this morning?"

The kobold thought for a few seconds. He'd been spending the past few weeks working to help clear Brosso's future circus, using the opportunity to keep track on the prospective politician and impresario. "The festival?"

Stas' smile grew. "That's right, a festival. Stronghammer will declare it tomorrow, but is already planning it with the other bigwigs of the fort. A grand affair no doubt, everyone will be invited!"

A toothy smile grew on Bax's face as he understood. "Everyone will be at the festival, of course."

Konith got it then too, nodding eagerly. "All too easy for some things to go missing when everyone's enjoying the shows."

"Especially," Stas said, hefting the pickax, "if we don't even take the main entrance."
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 03:56:52 pm by Aequor »
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: August 26, 2013, 08:31:30 pm »

Another great read Aequor. I really do love how you are able to keep track of all the different stories and intertwine them. I cant wait for the next one.

Wofi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: August 26, 2013, 09:11:41 pm »

A great post, looking forward to the next, etc etc etc. Point is, it is awesome.
Manager of Hugh Mann the Dabbler.
0-2-0

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #956 on: August 29, 2013, 03:22:52 pm »

Must say I really enjoyed the poem part there. And my part, hehe.

Again_Dejavu

• Bay Watcher
  • F5, F5, F5...
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: August 30, 2013, 10:16:23 am »

*Squees*
The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: September 11, 2013, 06:09:07 am »

Another great read Aequor. I really do love how you are able to keep track of all the different stories and intertwine them. I cant wait for the next one.

My thoughts exactly!

Anyone else thinks that thanks to our intrigues and infighting this will all crash and burn? I hope Brosso and Imiwa will play a big part in that.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: September 20, 2013, 03:12:24 pm »

I have watched this fort for ages, and I love it so.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 76