Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 180220 times)

Sneaky Walrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Clever Walrus....
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing
« Reply #915 on: April 06, 2013, 03:56:53 am »

Juggernauts Journal
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It appears that one of our bastion's members has been returned to the lands of the living. Truly, this is great news for the faithful. If one such as Xenir can be returned to fight again for the glory of Lord Armok, then what of the rest of our mighty defenders?

Perhaps this may be a sign from the Lord of Blood, a beacon to the faithful that through our trials and blood loss, we are reborn in his service, forged with the single purpose: To eradicate the world of this black tide. But I require more information.
Simply interrogating the risen would provide little in the way of knowledge. Nay, I must search within that blasted temple for information on Armok's most sacred rights. Asking the cowardly priests for such information would be folly, as the weaklings do not understand the true majesty that is Armok.

My friend Ugo seeks to investigate the rise of Xenir by means of scientific inquiry and mortal knowledge. Although I know in my heart that this will yield incomplete knowledge, I will not stand in Ugo's way.

Where Faith may bind men to life, Blood will guide them true.

Where Blood may blind men of mortality, Faith will light their eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A new caravan bares down upon our Fortress, lead by what appear to be Elves. But as before, the hordes of the Nothing have appeared to try and slaughter them before they can join our noble crusade of Blood. I shall sally forth with my fellow warriors, ready to slaughter the weaklings.

Fire washes the sin off the soul and the skin off the bone. That and I can't be bothered making soap...

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: April 06, 2013, 08:03:20 pm »

Ovg & Stronghammer - Thanks a ton guys! I have to say writing Nomekast has really improved my writing abilities, going back to read the start I can definitely see some good improvement :) I enjoy writing the story and I'm glad you enjoy it too!

6th Slate 679 - Morning

There was no time to waste. The usual council of the Sheriff Derm, Mayor Stronghammer, Chief Medical Dwarf Reg, Fori, and the militia squad leaders Tarran, Rovod, Neo, Meinhard and Kadzar were swiftly brought together to discuss the situation and what to do. The urgency of acting quickly meant that they met up near the entrance to Nomekast; meeting in Stronghammer's office would mean having to run to tell the militia the plans, which could cost the lives of the Elves just over the river. The rest of the militia had already been drawn up and were ready, weapons drawn or loaded.

"Right, what have we got?" Stronghammer started, drumming his fingers impatiently on his arm.

"Two squads on about length of the valley, each about a dozen each, all riding anything from jabberers to rutherers to giant toads. And those are just the ones we can see," Fori replied grimly.

"We don't have much of a choice," Derm started, biting at his lip in thought as he leant on his sword. "No way we can let them die."

"No way we can needlessly risk our lives either," Reg countered.

"We may not have to," Tarran said quietly. The swordsdwarf was stroking his beard, deep in thought. "The Elves are on the far side of the river, right? And the Goblins on this side? The Goblins will need to cross the river to get to the caravan, and to do that they need to take the only bridge - which is on the other side of the valley."

"Not quite the only bridge, don't forg-" Rovod stopped mid-word as he suddenly realised what Tarran had been suggesting. "Of course! We have the bridge from the compound over the river. We lower that, the Elves should be able to get there before the Gobbos, then we can close it. And from there-" he lifted his crossbow with a wry grin, "we can take over."

"What about the Nothing?" Reg asked, raising one worried eyebrow.

"There's no signs of any as far as we can see from the lighthouse, and certainly no flying ones, thank Armok."

"Right. Ve iz all agreed, den?" Meinhard asked. Everyone nodded. They didn't have time to argue further.

"Then let's do it, is everyone here?" Neo asked with a nod, hefting his sword.

Rovod nodded back. "As far as I can tell - except for Konith, the crossbowkobold."

"No time to wait, let's move."

They all fanned out, the militia commanders returning to their squads while Fori moved to pull the lever connecting the bridge. The crossbow squad - nicknamed 'The Arrows of Leading' - swiftly moved to the tower closest to the Goblins. If they passed too close to the compound, they'd swiftly have bolts raining down on them. The Iron Guard were kept back to guard against any possible unforeseen swarms of Nothing popping up, while the main militia force moved to the bridge over the river. If the caravan didn't manage to reach the fort in time they'd delay the Goblins. The Jagers meanwhile were sent on to the caravan themselves to lead them in.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

With Meinhard directing them - after having to explain that he was not some monstrous creature out to kill them - the Elves made swift progress into the compound, directing their animals forward with soothing Elven words.

They had not been quick enough though as one squad of infected Goblins, riding full-speed on their assorted steeds, reached the bridge before the militia could pull back. The Arrows of Leading, up on their tower fired a hail of bolts down.

It was Juggernaut who went first. The man hefted his axe high, taking a running start and leaping from the ledge into the Goblins below screaming a defiant curse. Thud took straight after him, the troll bellowing, his fists ready. Melagius hesitated a few seconds, then followed him, and the rest of the militia followed soon after that, not wanting to abandon two fellow soldiers to fight the enemy by themselves, and battle was joined.

The fight was fierce. The sound of metal clashing against metal filled the air, while the rain of bolts continued unabated from the tower above. The militia fought as best they could. Of note were Katana, who fought like a man possessed, and Kuro, who in his zeal to destroy his Nothing-infected brethren went as far as biting them or at least their steeds.

The apparent Goblin leader, wielding a fearsome silver scourge soon proved to be the most dangerous adversary as she bore down onto the Bogeyman Eldrich Stormsap. Despite his best efforts she effortlessly sidestepped his attacks, and sent the scourge smashing into his head. His usual hood came undone, revealing the burnt face of a Bogeyman below and sending him crashing to the floor.

She was apparently no longer interested in finishing the fallen Bogeyman as she turned instead to attack a furious Tarran, who dodged and sent his blade smashing into her side. He was swiftly joined by Bax who attacked her from behind.

The two swiftly made short work of her.

In the time it took them to wipe out most of the first squad, the second squad of Goblins had soon arrived, riding down the valley slope on their steeds, weapons at the ready.

However in riding down the slope like that they'd left themselves split apart, and an easy target for the militia to take out one-by-one without much hassle.

With the Goblins finished the militia took several seconds to breathe. That was, until Dohon noticed Eldrich's non-moving body still collapsed on the earth where the infected Goblin lasher had knocked him. He didn't wait a second, sprinting to his side. Eldrich seemed barely alive, and seemed to all intents not unable to breath at all.

"Gods damn it," Dohon ground out, frowning furiously. He quickly pulled a gauntlet off and placed one hand on the Bogeyman's chest. No breathing movement at all. But Eldrich was still shifting weakly.

The Dwarf took the Bogeyman by the shoulders, ready to heave him to the hospital at full-speed when Eldrich gave one last shuddering twitch and stopped moving at all.

Dohon pounded a furious fist into the dirt, leaving an imprint of his gauntlet. He fell back, breathing heavily. The respite was short-lived however as a third squad soon appeared coming down the valley. As was increasingly the case, it was Juggernaut followed by Thud who charged them first, soon followed by Kuro, Katana, Rashem and John Lock before the whole militia followed them.

It was Doc. Steve who fired the first shot from the towers before the militia could engage the Goblins.

The rest of the militia soon clashed with the infected Goblins. Tired as they were, this proved the toughest battle yet. Neo was almost killed as the Goblin leader, a swordmaster, nearly cleaved his head in two with a scimitar, and left him bleeding from his arm.

Dohon meanwhile found himself dueling two speargoblins alone, and caught by surprise was unable to stop the impending tragedy.

Eventually though the Goblins were dispatched, and the militia left standing in a field of hacked and slashed body parts and blood.

[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: April 07, 2013, 02:55:30 am »

From the journal of Mifava Nitharanemo, Druid:

Spoiler:  Preface (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  First Entry (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Second Entry (click to show/hide)

The guard on duty at the Fiery Cistern gate that day receives an unusual surprise in the form of an unusual visitor- a thin Elven woman, weapon in hand, and wearing nothing but the pelt of a bear as a hood, cape, and, where it's bundled together at the bottom, pack; her skin weathered and deeply tanned from decades (centuries, perhaps) of exposure to the elements. Although she is slightly unsteady on her feet as she approaches, she carries a smile and an air of confidence with her.

Cautiously drawing steel at the suspicious stranger, the guard's next surprise comes in the form of the elf politely- and in fluent Dwarvish- introducing herself, and asking if this was indeed the fortress Nomekast.

"I must meet with the one you know as Ibruk, the prophet. Even deep beneath the Earth, ill tidings sing on the wind, and we have much to discuss..."

--------------------------------------------------------

[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Zorrin_Drake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: April 07, 2013, 03:44:30 am »

From the journal of Nathaniel Stormwind:
                                                             Tales from the Void
                                                   Chapter 5 Rites in Shadow/Blood in Light

I found the skull of the large bug, it was used in a dark ritual to summoning a forgotten one by a powerful necromancer named Rakust and abandoned when she died. When I found it however it was not as abandoned as I first thought.
I know not what happened to them but I found what appears to be crundles that were corrupted by the shadow demons, they were doing some sort of religious ceremony or dark rite for the skull was covered in paint and they were painting it anew.
I will hold my investigation of the skull for now, I need to get my sanctum complete and give Weiss Ironscroll some tests to test his ability to keep secrets, his loyalty, and his will most of all. Weiss clams to have apprenticed with a dungeon master, if that is true he would make a very good apprentice and his dog would make a good familiar for him.

If he is serious in becoming my apprentice, Weiss Ironscroll's tasks are:
1:Get Blood thorn and Nether cap wood 10 of each.
2:Help carve furnishings for the sanctum.
3:Carve a bedroom and library for himself in the sanctum.
4:Get information of 6 of the 12 artifacts of Nomekast: how they were built, who built them, what happened to the individual in the creation process.
I will get information for the other 6 artifacts. When and if we get the information the investigation of the artifacts can truly begin.

This morning was a brutal time as the militia went out to save some elven merchants from three corrupted goblin hordes. The militia fought valiantly but two have fallen. I am tempted to try an experiment, to revive the to individuals in a similar manner that of Xenir, but that would be very risky, for I do not know how Xenir was revived and what that process entails.
A thought occurred to me though, Xenir was dead for almost four months, the two militia who just died, well, just died, maybe they can still be saved...

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: April 07, 2013, 07:37:56 pm »

Journal: Well it seems that the battle is won. However we lost more to the continuing menace.We must look into better armour and training for those on the militia. I might even have them removed from any other profession and focus only on their training. We did rescue the caravan so that is a benefit. I will have Bounce go and trade with them for any luxuries they might have. I will have to look over progress on the public projects. In fact I might even have Brosso assigned to furnishing and setting up the tavern. That way he might know I dont see him as an enemy. I feel things continue to go unseen in the community, and worry about what that might mean. I will have to work something out with the thieves guild if they could be contacted. Maybe in exchange for looking the other way on occasion they might provide information on the town. At the very least I will be able to keep a better eye on them. Well its off to see to the militia and the caravan.

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: April 23, 2013, 04:42:37 am »

Weiss's Journal:
Nathaniel gave me an offer to work under him.

Well this is going to be a hell of a lot of work, but might as well give it a shot, albeit I feel the info gathering with the six artifacts is going to be one of the harder things to do...best ask around to get some info for that.  Welp, time to get to work.

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: April 25, 2013, 08:31:53 am »

Brossos Magnificent Diary

Another battle with them upwordly thingies, those "nothings".  I heard, and indeed noticed that we suffered heavy casualties. One of the lost was a boogyman, so good riddance to him, but then, he fought for us, and what did he get? Naught but death. If I were mayor no such things would ever happen! We would equip our glorious army with best the dwarfkind has to offer! I need to speek to the soldiers... Anyway my dear diary, I have dealt with my defeat in the election. Yet that fiend Derm and his lover, Fori must be brought down. Their leadership will bring doom to us all! Am I the only sane dwarf in this wretched hole? Is this why am I, a well-bred noble, not invited to those "council" meetings? I need to take action. It's the only way to save everyone here, even the lower races.

Xenir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: April 28, 2013, 12:45:50 am »

Journal of Xenir
The Shades took another two. I wonder if they'll come back, like me.
-X
Quote from: GoombaGeek
That sounds gay. It's not. It's fucking terrifying.
Quote from: GoombaGeek
Olin isn't fucking around this time. He knows it'll take more punishment than a BDSM expo in a tornado made out of serrated blades. So he hits it until the head is mush. Then he hits the body until it's got a soupy texture too. When he's done, it doesn't look like a cat. It looks like a fucking meat puddle.

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #923 on: April 29, 2013, 04:25:25 pm »

Trying to read through everything here, but could I request a dwarf?

Name: Jules
Race: Dwarf

Personality: Social, but tends to get lost in his own work. He has the idea that a person can live forever if their story lives on, and thus he wants to carve the story of the fort in stone. HE also likes to hang around with others to hear their stories.

--

Really a brilliant story so far. I like how it goes from a survival tale in the face of destruction to be a tale of factions and political rivalry, along with the "heists".

--

Jules is struck by inspiration and has made an engraving. It is of Derm. Derm is exploring. Relates to the discovery of caverns during Derms first trip to the caverns in 674,
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 05:31:50 pm by Julien Brightside »

jrrocks05

• Bay Watcher
  • serial killer at large
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: June 20, 2013, 10:03:20 pm »

I would like a human

Male

Wields 2 steel swords

Very flirty

Makes a lot of friends

He is very protective of friends

Is an atheist though he allows religion but does not let it hinder the growth of the fort
We fear not to walk in the valley of death for we are the baddest most vicious unforgiving motherf---en dwarves in this valley

Again_Dejavu

• Bay Watcher
  • F5, F5, F5...
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: June 26, 2013, 09:49:30 pm »

Holy crap. I read this all in a day... I... I can't believe I have to wait now.

Hmmmm

How about a... Gorlak!
Introduce him by having him be captured by Bosso, running from evil in the caverns.
E should tawk lik dis
E be smahta than e look
E be called Grawp
E luv to chow
E be a gud e'grava
Grawp want no trouble.
Grawp will refer to himself from third person.
Grawp lik ev'rybudy
Grawp try.

So, I'd like to be Gorlaked
The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.

Again_Dejavu

• Bay Watcher
  • F5, F5, F5...
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: June 27, 2013, 06:31:03 pm »

Hidden behind a rock, there is a masterfully carved journal low on the the cavern wall, too short for even a dwarf to have made. It menaces with spikes of attroucious spelling and grammar.
The artist has carved a masterful image of a Gorlak, it appears to be a self portrait.
The journal was written as follows.

grawp scard
bad things here
dey big and strng
dey neva stop
bad things kil an mak freind into mor bad thing
grawp hungry
dey no find grawp
grawp wil beh fond soon
grawp ned to go
by by

So, here's my guy's first journal.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 06:40:10 pm by Again_Dejavu »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: June 28, 2013, 08:20:17 pm »

Grawp and Thok should be friends! They sound quite similar, but Grawp is smart.

Again_Dejavu

• Bay Watcher
  • F5, F5, F5...
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: June 28, 2013, 08:27:26 pm »

Grawp and Thok should be friends! They sound quite similar, but Grawp is smart.
They both have tusks too.
That'd be cool

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: July 19, 2013, 03:55:08 pm »

PSA: I am terrible and should not be allowed to run community forts. That is all.

Hailfire - Apologies, corrected the name. ;)

Julien Brightside - Thanks! You'll be in the next migrant wave whenever that arrives, and many thanks for the picture, don't think I've had fanart before, certainly gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. :P

jrrocks05 - Sure thing, you'll be with the next surviving migrants too.

Again_Dejavu - In a day!? Whoa, that's certainly dedication. :P A gorlak is certainly fine, considering how diverse the place is already. :P As with the others, you'll be in the next surviving migrants.

6th Slate 679 - Noon

No one knew what had caused it.  Jessica von Sachsen, violinist, instrument-maker, and crossbowwoman had just made it back to the militia barracks when something snapped inside her.

Surrounded by the rest of the militia she suddenly pulled free her crossbow and aimed it right at the Dwarf besides her, Unib Kibducim, a Dwarf of the Iron Guard.

With no apparent hesitation she began firing.

Pandemonium broke out as the militia stood dumbfounded as one of their own, a berserk expression on her face, began to shoot down a random Dwarf. Rovod was the first to react, ordering her to stop. She didn't even react. The militia captain, pulled free his own crossbow and fired at her legs, hoping to disable her rather than kill her.

She didn't stop however, continuing to fire at Unib. That was when Rashem moved in, slamming his warhammer down onto Jessica.

For a few seconds no one moved, still in shock. Then as one they rushed to Unib to help, but it was already too late as he was already gone.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Evening

The funerals had been held that evening, somber and with a dark cloud looming over the community. Eldrich, Dohon, and now Jessica, gone in one fell swoop. Ibruk had just returned to working on digging more of the future cathedral alongside others of his congregation when the elf approached him. Much of the rest of the congregation - all dwarves - gave her suspicious glares but said nothing. Ibruk stopped his mining, breathing heavily and leaning on his pick as he faced the elf.

The elf didn't wait to be addressed. "Are you the prophet they call Ibruk?"

"That I am. What can this servant of the gods do for you, pilgrim?"

"My name is Mifava Nitharanemo, I have just arrived, following the lead of the Spirits, to talk to you about the Blight - or Nothing, as some call them."

"It's certainly heartening to see an elf take an interest in the subject, I fear most here prefer to simply fight them than first understand their divine mission they undertake on the surface." The dwarf moved off to the side, away from the mining and sat himself down on a rock.

Mifava followed him, sitting herself nearby, facing him. "You say they have a divine mission?" she asked, raising an eyebrow, "So you know of where they came and what they seek?"

Ibruk let out a small, almost humourless, chuckle, one hand stroking his beard. "Any who read the writings of the Blind Prophet of the Broken Rock can answer you that, if they have the eyes to read or the ears to listen and the faith to see their way through the dark times ahead."

"And what does this...'Blind Prophet' speak of?"

Ibruk waved a hand around him. "This. The destruction of the sinful Old World. He himself saw it, warning that 'Nothing will destroy the Old World, dark as the depths, listen if you have the ears, for Nothing was created by the gods to cleanse us all.', furthermore he saw the Fall of Life, that is: the dead rising. And it was not only he, for later the Ocean Princess - another god-blessed seer - would warn of the Collapse of Hell: monsters roaming the abyss. This the gods showed them both, and now it all comes to head."

"So you would say the Blight are sent by your gods? Why then, would they attack you?"

"Mine is not to question, only to report. We must, after all, be reminded what will happen to us if we fall into the same immorality that has destroyed the old world. After all, 'sin forges only your own death'." Ibruk stood up from the rock, stretching his arms as he picked up his pick again, giving the elf a clap on the shoulder - just able to reach as she was sitting - "Have heart, pilgrim Mifava, we have not failed them yet."

Slate 679

The elven traders had been welcomed with a mix of both desire to know how the rest of the outside world was faring, and blame from some who considered them the cause of the recent deaths. Under Stronghammer's direction Bounce - in her capacity as bookkeeper and broker - had negotiated for several dozen wooden logs, which could be put to use without the objection of the elven community since they'd been grown and tended by fellow elves according to their customs. Bounce had also negotiated for several bags of overland plants which were destined to be brewed to bring some more variety to the drink reserves; as well as several bags of seeds, with which it was hoped Fori and the rest of the farmers could nurture at a new overland farm now that the compound was secure - as long as the winged nothing remained away. It wasn't just Bounce trading however, many of the fort turned up to trade trinkets with the traders, in particular Brosso, who with some of the silver he'd got from carving out his huge complex, purchased two horses, a tame wolf and a black bear, all destined for his circus.

Work was progressing quickly meanwhile on the new projects Stronghammer had initiated. Brosso had been placed in charge of setting up the tavern, and had expanded upon the mayor's original plans by including two open-air areas over the lake.

Spoiler: Tavern progress (click to show/hide)

Plans were drawn up for an auditorium for both meeting in and hosting events as well as a library to hold what books refugees had brought with them, complete with separate chambers to read quietly in. Both buildings would be beneath the main meeting space, not far from the hospital and Brosso's office.

Fori meanwhile had briefly stopped her hard work on improving Nomekast's defences to oversee the plowing of several fields on the surface within the compound for the seeds Bounce had purchased. As long as the winged Nothing remained away, the community would soon have more variety in their diets.

Spoiler: Overland farms (click to show/hide)

As Slate wound to an end, the community continued their work as ever, hearts hardening by the day.
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 76