Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 180224 times)

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - Hiding from Nothing
« Reply #420 on: November 01, 2010, 12:04:35 pm »

From the log of Fori

I finally met Loral today. I almost wish I hadn’t. The news he brought of the outside world was grim, very grim. Of all the retreats that I know of, I never would dream Themiyimelara to fall. The very center of all that is elven! Now abandoned, the once majestic forest left to the flames and the defiler’s bestial and destructive instincts. And now, they’ve been setting the forests ablaze? Have they learned how to breathe flame like dragons now? The queen still is alive at least, but a queen of what? Ruins and Ashes? Our culture will never recover from this I fear. Are our choices really just die or hope the gods, gods whom the forgotten beast claims have abandoned us, remove the defilers? I refuse to accept that. There must be something we can do!

But I must tend to myself. This news came as a shock and a blow, and I don’t want to fall into another spiral of depression like before. There’s only so much sorrow that the dwarves’ ale can drown, and that is a temporary solution at best anyway. As fortune or fate had it though, Derm had announced he was making another expedition to the lower caverns. Being in the nature of these caverns proved to be helpful to me before, I decided to ask him if I can come with again. With my sword and armor crafted by the dwarves, I think we could handle whatever we found down there. Besides, the harvest was bountiful, and we’ve had more help in the farms. The cute little kobold, I believe the dwarves call him Xenos, is quite the green thumb. He’s been a big help in minding the crops of mushrooms.

If I am going to join the expedition, I better go and get my equipment ready. I hope I can find some new dwarven plants or mushrooms I can grow. Though, at times I wish I could get some old fashioned wild strawberries, fisher berries, or whip vine flour bread. Hearing about the elven retreats from Loral made me long for some of our traditional foods.

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 01, 2010, 01:09:38 pm »

Meinhard walk into the dinning hall, he moved to the center of the room and brought the butt of his spear down to the stone with a load clunk.

"Hookay! Effreybody lisken op! Hy'm startink a new unit. Hall does dot vant to learn to fight like real Jagers, hyu come to me. Hy train hyu hall prooper like. So, if hyu gotz de gutz ta fight and keel da beasties of da dark, hyu come to me. Oh, and brink at least two weepons and a shield, jah."

Meinhard then left to wait in the training area he had prepared.

(Can everyone say "Unit of ambushers", I knew you could.)
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 01, 2010, 02:42:44 pm »

Reg kneaded his brow as he sat in the hospital.  All the beds were empty and Steve was out hauling, leaving Reg alone to hold down the fort.  He had received word that ANOTHER goblin now haunted the halls.  Another creature to destroy and degrade dwarven tradition.  He couldn't see why Ibruk and the others allowed them to stay; Reg knew best of all the evil that were capable of.  He'd seen dwarves come back from the field, simply TORTURED, having long lost the will to live, it was a relief to them that Reg could do nothing to save them.  Countless times his brethren were struck down in cold blood by these creatures they so nobly invited under their roof. 

Reg had heard that Derm was planning an excursion to the third cavern, and he nearly volunteered to go (after all, he IS incredibly tough and strong, even if he isn't proficient with weapons), but when the kobold and goblin signed up for the task, he decided against it.  There was no way he could trust those creatures to watch his back in those dark passages.  Derm is a good, hard-working dwarf, but if those things get him injured (or, Os forbid, KILLED) there would be hell to pay! 

Reg entertained several thoughts after that, mostly to do with the torture or punishment of the land-dwellers should Derm be hurt, but also thoughts about breaking off to start a new CLEAN fort or him becoming mayor one day and ordering the things to be thrown out in the cold!  He may allow Fori to stay, simply because some of the dwarves actually enjoy her company (for what reasons, he would not be sure) and she had proven her worth to the fort, but the other green skins and little devils would go straight to the Nothing.  Sure they would be angry at him, maybe even throw him out of office, but in the end they know he was right.  After all, a dwarven fort is best left in the hands of the dwarves.

Reg jumped and dropped the scalpel he was holding when Steve put down his mug on the stone table; he was so absorbed in his thoughts he hadn't noticed Steve walk in. "oh, sorry, didn't mean to scare ya."

"S'fine, need somethin' to get the heart pumpin', ya know?" Reg said as he slapped his chest.  He then got up and began to walk for the door.

"eh! now where do you think you're going?" Steve yelled, he didn't wish to be stuck in the hospital all by himself.

"just, er..." the dwarf stroked his beard as he looked down the hallway," just going for a walk." And then he strode out the door and out of sight, leaving Steve alone.  He let out a sigh and mumbled as he looked to see if Reg had done any of the recording for the manager about recent diagnostics.
~~~
NOTE: Os is the god that Reg worships (a THUNDER god :D)
Also, he has now written off Fori as the lesser of two evils.  She's essentially proven her worth to the fort and he's moved his opposition to the new comers, mainly the humans and goblins (because cutebolds are so damn cute).
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 05:01:19 pm by ISGC »
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 01, 2010, 02:51:41 pm »

~~~
NOTE: Os is the god that Reg worships (a THUNDER god :D)
Also, he has now written off Fori as the lesser of two evils.  She's essentially proven her worth to the fort and he's moved his opposition to the new comers, mainly the humans and goblins (because cutebolds are so damn cute).
Yeah son!  That is the Kobold's primary defence, their cuteness.  Apparently, it is of no use on elves.  xD
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 01, 2010, 03:50:52 pm »

Ars was back at the magma pool,empty eyesockets staring the magma.
He felt warm.
he picked up a nearby pebble,and threw it foward.
he heard a small !!PSSt!!
and he still couldnt belive,that he was standing by the pool of blood,from the one he sacrificed his eyes.
He came to a conclusion.
He wants to friggin` LIVE here.
Not by the pesky temple-faith-lunatics,but by the FLAMING PROOF.
he didnt say,what he thinks of their "god".And he was not going to.
Otherwise,huge scandal would be unleashed.

And,if he really creates something "Ultimately from gods",he WILL NOT give them the pleasure to begin yapping their fairytales.It will be HIS stuff.
Even when their sick bastard exists.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 03:53:50 pm by magmaholic »
I am a Goober.

masam

• Bay Watcher
  • How lovely...Burn it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: November 02, 2010, 02:50:59 pm »

muenster is looking to take his mind off of things, he'll join derm.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: November 02, 2010, 02:57:24 pm »

What is half the fort coming?

good. More distractions.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

masam

• Bay Watcher
  • How lovely...Burn it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: November 02, 2010, 03:22:25 pm »

I resent that!  I've learned my way around a mace pretty well, and I look forward to pulling your ass outta the mouth o what ever down there decides your gonna be dinner for the cave beasties tonight!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: November 02, 2010, 03:31:36 pm »

I've been down there for longer than you have.

Without me you wouldn't HAVE magma!

It's perfectly feasible for me to go down there alone and survive, but it would just be damned stupid of me to do so.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

masam

• Bay Watcher
  • How lovely...Burn it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 02, 2010, 03:56:19 pm »

An it'd be damn stupid o the fort to let you, not to mention the eh..irritation a few members might feel if you went and got yerself killed.  And don't toot yer own horn too hard there, we're dwarves.  Just cause I prefer to fiddle with glasswork, don't mean that any dwarf in here wouldn't drop there work and pick up a pick axe.  It's what were made for, just like the humans are made to blow themselves up with their curiosity, and the elves for huggin trees.  And the gobbos for splattin.  No offense to any o' ours here, you're all more than dwarven enough.

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 08, 2010, 05:07:17 am »

"Bloody hell Reg, what now?"
Not expecting an answer Steve sat down behind the desk him and Reg shared for paperwork and started writing up a medical history for the new people to the fort and aside from probably having to ask that long legs why his skin was blue he didn't forsee any health problems in the near future. (Aside from the usual day to day type problems anyway.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Been gone a while but I'll write something else once I've caught up :D
Also, since it seems half the forts going I'll be going with Derm on his lil trek as well :P

Fisher-Risen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 08, 2010, 08:35:57 am »

Hammer of the Gods sat alone in her room, carefully cleaning her armor and hammer, both made of the finest iron goblins could get their hands on. Carefully crafted onto her breastplate was the sigil of her personal goddess, Lal the Shield of Safety,(a goddess of fortresses) in cobaltite. Her hammer, which was currently being shined to perfection, was studded with red steel. (hopefully you don't mind me using genesis mod materials). She sighed as she remembered the dissension she felt in the dwarves of this Holy Forttress. Someone should be keeping the peace, She thought to herself. She murmured a quick prayer, before returning her attention to her gear.
Quote from: Veok
"I had a great fortress going on until Leonidas kicked open the door to my clown car, but my blue suede shoes weren't ready, so Uncle Sam and his friends went to town on my tax returns."

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 13, 2010, 04:08:17 pm »

Xenos - No danger room I'm afraid, a dangerous room bristling with spike traps is a bit hard to rationalize as something a group hiding would do.

ISGC - Interestingly, 'Os' means 'death' in goblin. So Reg worships a god which goblins call death. It's almost like the game wants him to be anti-goblin. :P

Fisher-Risen - On the contrary, feel free to use genesis materials, it won't be that ingame obviously, but it adds to the story, making the world a richer place. ;D

OK, the final roster for the expedition is;
Derm
Fori
Muenster
Rion
Delta
Steve
Xenos
Bax
Tarran
Sandra

15th Hematite 676 - Dawn

The expedition met at dawn. A new bridge had been built allowing the rest of the Fiery Cistern to be accessed without having to tear down and then later rebuild the wall that blocked off the forges from the wildlife roaming the caves.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Furthermore, Delta and Spartan had carved a straight staircase down to the third level, right besides Hellbore. That was where they met, all ten of them.

"OK, is everyone here? Fori? Tarran? Muenster?" Derm asked, rattling off the name of everyone on the expedition. Bax rolled his eyes,

"Ten of us signed up to this, and there are ten of us here. Yes. We are all here."

Derm shrugged,

"We don't know what's down there, best to be careful."

"There's a difference between being careful and nannying."

"Well-" Derm began, before being cut off by Delta,

"Oh for heaven's sake, let's go!" he said, exasperated. The group carefully made their way down the rough-hewn stone stairway that led down to the lower levels which before had only been glimpsed from the lip of Hellbore.

"What is this..?" Fori wondered, running her eyes over a large tree with blood-red bark.

"Never seen one before." Tarran said, running a hand over the trunk, he sharply drew his hand back, "Ow! Thorns!" he exclaimed, showing where the thorns had scratched his skin, glistening drops of blood already forming.

"Blood thorns." Muenster said suddenly, reverence in his voice, "These are blood thorns."

"What?" Rion asked, brows furrowed.

"Don't you know the story? They say that one day, Iklist Tunnelveil the Perplexing Mirror made a bet with the King o' Hell, betting that the demon couldn't make a better tree than him. The King o' Hell took a Dwarf and pulped her flesh and with it made a tree. The soul o' the Dwarf, seeing what had happened to her body, wept, an' the tree became saturated with her tears, mixing in with her blood, making it heavy. The King o' Hell delighted at this, an' took her teeth, sharpening them an' placing them as thorns on the tree, an' cursing them to prick her soul, so that she could never reunite with her body. The Perplexing Mirror on the other hand, took a blizzard man an'-" he stopped, peering into the darkness, "-yes! There." he pointed out a tree further on, dark indigo in hue, and with frost on it, "Nether caps, trees as cold as the blizzard."

"Amazing..." Fori said awe-inspired, "Such amazing trees."

"When Id saw the results of the bet, he took both trees an' threw them down into the depths of the earth, declaring that neither side should win a bet that had caused the death an' eternal suffering of a Dwarf." Muenster finished, "I mean, I just thought it was a story, but ta see both trees down here, it's unbelievable." Sandra nodded at this,

"If I remember, it was said Ngostong, the God-Law-Giver of the Humble Nations had a throne of 'blood wood from the underworld', it must have been blood thorn." she said, remembering her brief visit to the capital of that vast empire.

The group moved on, cautiously moving through the darkness. There was no sound at all, no cry from any creatures, it was quiet, almost too quiet. The soon arrived at a lake, and so followed it's shore down. After more than an hour's walking it emerged that there was no way to continue onwards without crossing the lake. They looked for an easy crossing point, finding one where there was a nearby spit of land, but they'd need to build a bridge to get to it.

With Delta there, this was little trouble, the miner soon had an ample supply of schist dug out and within an hour, the Dwarves, Elf, Goblin and Kobold had put up a make-shift bridge across the gulf.

"It's gotta be about lunchtime now, no?" Tarran asked. There were murmurs of assent, and the backpack containing the food was opened up, the plump helmet biscuits made the day before shared out. A simple meal, but a satisfying one, the group rested as the gourd of Dwarven beer was passed around. Xenos meanwhile had gotten up, and was looking around. While he was no typical Kobold, he still had the curiosity that was inherent in all members of his species. Right besides where they had just had lunch stood a great wall of some midnight-black rock. The Kobold put a hand on it, and then withdrew it immediately, letting a slight surprised call out. This brought the rest of the expedition coming.

"What is it?" Muenster asked. Xenos struggled to find the words,

"Stone...stone-" he tried to mime something but no one seemed to understand. Giving up his attempt to communicate verbally, the Kobold simply pointed at the wall.

"Wait...that's obsidian!" Tarran suddenly exclaimed. He put a hand to it, before withdrawing it like Xenos did, "Yeah, the stone is hot! This must definitely be one of the magma pools behind here."

"If that's one of the magma pools, the other must be nearby." Derm said, excitedly "If we find it, that'll give us a rough estimate of where we are."

"Ok, here's what I suggest," Steve said, "We'll split up into two groups of three and one of four and each go separate ways. We'll meet back here in about...one hour? Make sure to mark which way you go."

"That way will be faster for finding the other magma pool." Sandra agreed. Derm nodded,

"Ok, me, Fori, and Muenster will go this way. Rion; you, Delta and Steve go that way. And Xenos, Bax, Tarran and Sandra can go that way. Are we agreed?" Everyone nodded as one, and each group went their way.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Derm, Fori and Muenster made their way slowly through the passages. They had had the misfortune of ending up with a steep climb upwards, and there were no obsidian walls that told of magma pools in sight. Finally the three arrived at the crest of the underground hill, falling down on the rocks and breathing hard.

As they lay there, Derm was suddenly aware of what sounded like footfalls, he grabbed his axe,

"I think I can hear something." he whispered. Fori grabbed her sword and Muenster his mace. The noise stopped soon after, and silence returned.

"We're gonna have to be more careful, there must be some kind of wildlife in here." Fori said, also whispering. Muenster nodded,

"There's stories 'bout the kings o' old who visited the depths o' the world, they met all sorts of monsters. We haven't seen anything yet...it's almost unsettling." he agreed.

"Let's get moving, and let's keep an eye out." Derm assented, getting up. He stopped a brief second, "Actually, keep both eyes out, it's safer."

He started down the slope, Fori following him and Muenster bringing up the rear. As he and Fori reached the bottom of the hill, he heard a sudden crack, like rock breaking. His eyes immediately went upwards, his Dwarven instincts kicking in as he heard the sound of rock...

The sound of rock breaking off and falling.

"Cave-in!" he cried, as he and Fori were buried by the rocks, leaving Muenster standing there, mace in hand, backpack on his back, eyes wide open with shock at what he had just seen.
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 13, 2010, 04:33:07 pm »

Wait, cave-in? What the heck?

Anyway, nice update.

Also, I hate you for leaving us on a cliff hanger. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 13, 2010, 04:56:13 pm »

They say that when you are close to death, when the body's instincts go far beyond fight or flight, the world slows down and you remember.

You remember life.
You remember joy.
You remember Death and sorrow.
You remember hate and bliss and everything in between.

Your life flashes before your eyes in a whirlwind of emotion, to spur the body to act. To move and avoid the danger.

To remember exactly why life is worth living.

And I remember. I remember the good times. I remember the bad. I remember the early days, and the latest. I remember my parents. I remember my siblings, long deceased. I remember the raid on my first home. I remember the death of everyone I knew. I remember wandering and finding a new family, if only for a short time. I remember the Nothing, and I remember wandering once again.

I remember Nomekast. The laughter. The sadness. My first expedition. The praise. The Second Expedition with Fori. The Celebrations.

I remember the coffin. I remember the beasts and their foul agenda.

But the most important, I remember my friends. And I know that I want to remember things that have yet to happen.

The rocks were falling now, Slowly. As though in a haze I took in the surroundings. We were directly underneath the falling ceiling. Muenster to the right, Fori to the left. I had to act.

I give out a cry and tackle Fori to one side as the rocks came down upon us. Muenster would be fine, He's a good lad.

As the dust settles, and as I vaguely register some pain, I look to the side, and Fori is unharmed at a glance. I crane my neck to the rocks, and at the top, right before a boulder blocks off the hole completely, I see an eye.

It hates.

The pain intensifies.

I black out.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 06:54:43 pm by dermonster »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 76