Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 180190 times)

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - Hiding from Nothing
« Reply #330 on: September 18, 2010, 11:56:22 pm »

Well, the people who want to be dwarfed could have them.  But it wouldnt make sense for those who want to be Humaned or Kobolded (me) or Goblined (if there is another)

But that is alright, I am fine with waiting (just  dont let dwarves die for a bit, hopefully a merchant can get in...Also, does Nothing have trapavoid?
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ILLUSIONS OF GRANDEUR]
    • View Profile
    • Umomushil - the fortress of dark Ice, an overlord list compliant fort
« Reply #331 on: September 19, 2010, 03:53:58 am »

Hey, this looks like a pretty neat fort. 'Specially with the crazy at the head of it.
I would like the be dwarfed

Name: gutusp
Sex: female
Personality: Goblin-like. ridiculously so. Also quite insane. so much that goblins look at her and think "damn, is that what we look like to the rest of the world" shortly before she starts demanding they stop thinking, as she can hear it. Also has a Slight god complex, which explains her name.

Other info: She was kidnapped by the goblins at a young age. She learned goblin as her first language. She would have stayed a slave were it not for her master having an "unfortunate accident". Which involved a large amount of ballista arrows. In his bedroom. From there on she developed a more goblin like attitude and personality, to the point she dyed her hair red. With her great skills in Goblinhood she grew quite high in the ranks of the goblin army, to the dislike of few goblins. It used to be many, 'til she found out.
She can only speak goblin, for added Fun!

She's basically a copy of my char from the other fort I'm in which I really liked but doesn't seem to be going anywhere
Do you have any plans for the origins of nothings, or is their story just about them being there.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 07:19:46 pm by Gutanoth »
Look at what a totally original signature this is.

ProZocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 21, 2010, 06:06:53 am »

THOUGH MY SIX LEGS HAVE NEVER TOUCHED UPON THE HOLY SURFACE I HAVE COME.

Crabs have ten legs.
What?
Your post was just too epic for me not to mess it up with that!
I always imagine dwarves to train as if fighting pretend monsters. "It's a carp, use your sword!" "Shwish! Shwoosh! It's dead!" "Oh no, it's a giant cave spider! Noo, it's got me! Kill it with your axe!" "Swoosh, I cut off its head!"
UNDEAD ELEPHANTS.HERDS OF THEM.EVEN IN DEATH I STILL GRAZE.

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 21, 2010, 11:03:40 am »

Qiuet you! this is a forgotten beast. he may have as many legs as he likes. provided he reminds no one.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 21, 2010, 11:08:09 am »

dwarf fortress is EPIC.
you can be darn crazy,and nobody gives a shit.
so,i joined the forum when i found this thread.
i wanna be dorfd.(pick a random dwarf who tends to avoid crowds,or has wonderful imagination)
name:Arsethotheles(nickname is Arsh)
sex:male
Proffession:philosopher
"you want to be a PHILOSOPHER?Are you insane?"
"Actually... I'm 99% insane. That last 1% of sanity helps me admit it.Being one is a common way of us,dwarven inviduals"
"oh."

I am a Goober.

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 22, 2010, 07:31:04 am »

How come no one is posting anything? it seems like a ghost town.

or are we all just waiting for the next story post?

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 22, 2010, 01:00:05 pm »

waiting with extreme anticipation.  :D
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 22, 2010, 05:22:32 pm »

Fortis and Xenos - We have four unnamed Dwarves, two of which are priests in Kadzar's squad, and two who are invaluable members in the militia whom I'm unwilling to spare. At the risk of making people have to wait, I'm gonna wait for migrants (hopefully the 'despite the danger...' bug won't stop people from coming).

Gutanoth - Welcome to Nomekast! Please join the queue with the others. :P While I won't reveal anything, I can say that this will eventually go into the origin of the Nothing, but not until the fort's a bit more settled.

magmaholic - A philosopher? That's just what we need, another useless layabout to join Stas in doing nothing! :P Buts anyways, welcome to Nomekast, please join the queue, no pushing, no shoving, etc.

8th Sandstone 675 - Noon

"So another forgotten beast is coming for us?" Delta asked incredulously, "I swear someone must be sending them."

"Mayhaps the go-" Ibruk began, before Tarran cut him off,

"Derm, where did you say that Amas was coming from?" he asked.

"It's on the Fiery Cistern." Derm replied.

"Excellent, that should mean our walls should keep it out while we get everyone together, and if all else fails we can collapse the passage and block it off below."

Ibruk cleared his throat, clearly unhappy at having been cut off,
"Good, well then pilgrims, let us get the righteous militia together to slay this beast."

- - - - - - - - - -

The militia, once again joined by Kadzar and his priests, gathered at the magma forges. Doc. Steve and Rovod were also present, crossbows ready, while Bax had been allowed to join the group. Not a word was spoken between them, silence filled the air as Delta removed the stones of the wall that kept Amas out. Once the wall was done, the soldiers tramped out. Amas itself was nowhere to be seen, but the Dwarves had faced enough forgotten beasts that they knew it would be drawn to the scent of their flesh. All they had to do was wait.

Seconds felt like minutes and minutes like hours as they waited there, patiently and silent save for the occasional cough or sneeze. Finally, after a half hour they had had enough,

"This is silly," Melagius complained, "I have better things to do." He turned to leave, and that was when the clicking started. Rythmic clicking, like that of...claws! With a roar, Amas burst from the shadows. It was every bit as horrific as Thudel and Lerdi had been. A huge crab, covered with hair and topped with a spiral shell, much like described in the vision Derm had had. No one moved for a few seconds, then with a collective cry, the Dwarves save Rovod and Steve charged. Amas didn't have a chance to react in time as two bolts plunged straight into its great bloated body, spilling its white ichor. The crab charged at Tarran, sending the swordsdwarf flying through the air. With a swipe of its claw, it knocked Rion into a rock column. Johann sent his hammer crashing onto one of its right leg, wincing as a great crack was heard. Kadzar managed to pierce the beast's side with his spear but lost control of the weapon and was sent flying by a swipe of Amas' claw. Cursing, Melagius turned to Bax,

"Bax! We need to attack its head directly, give me a boost!" he cried. The Goblin took a moment to understand, before sheathing his weapon and holding his hand out together. Melagius leapt onto the greenskin's hands and Bax tossed the Dwarf into the air, sending him sailing towards Amas. The beast was too busy to notice the swordsdwarf; Rion had managed to cut one of its legs off, while Derm had sliced into its body. By the time it saw Melagius it was too late.

The effect was instantaneous, Amas gave a keening cry and began to thrash uncontrollably, sending several Dwarfs careering to the ground from the force. Then it fell still, dying silently.

24th Timber 675 - Early Morning

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The caravan wound its way across the valley, donkeys loaded with precious items, gems, exotic woods and metals, all from the furthest colonies and trading partners of the Grizzly Vessel. The destruction of several mountain fortresses, the razing of Human towns and the burning of Elven forests had not stopped the constant flow of trade between the Dwarven, Human, and Elven empires. The bulk of the attacks had been in the north, with the southern cities untouched, and those who lived in the remaining cities still wanted their goods, and the leadership wanted its luxuries. In fact, the Ilral Dynasty of the Grizzly Vessel had expounded much money in ensuring trade continued, if resources became scarce the population might no longer be placated, but be pushed to open revolt by the fear of Nothing attacks creeping closer. Urist Obokimaz had been placed as chief liaison to the colonies of the Grizzly Vessel's state merchants after the death of Mafol Nicatkulet, better known as Mafol Chainedabbeys. The single trader Ezunam who had barely escaped with his life from the Swamps of Tunnelling two years ago had reported that she and the entire trade caravan had been wiped out by Nothing. Obokimaz had been given direct orders to see if there were any goods to salvage, and to bring back the bodies of the killed traders to their families.

So now here they were, moving across the valley. Smoking an ivory pipe, Obokimaz, who had been oft-spoiled daughter of a Count back in the Mountainhomes, dawdled sometime apart from the caravan. As she walked, her foot suddenly caught on something and she tripped over. Cursing to Id, she picked herself up and looked to see what had tripped her up.

It was a skeletal arm. Immediately she gave a cry, reaching for her handkerchief and pulling it up to her nose as a matter of course rather than for any practical reason. She moved the overgrown grass away.

Yes it was a skeleton. A Dwarven skeleton, possibly one of the traders from the caravan in 673.

She waved the rest of the living traders and guards over.

"You there," she said, pointing imperiously at an axedwarf, "Put this horrid thing in the bag, the rest must be around here somew-"

"Nothing! Nothing!" a trader suddenly wailed, pointing out to the other side of the valley. That once innocent, now terrifying, word caught their attention at once, and their eyes moved to where the Dwarf was pointing.

"Urist! Ezunam mentioned that there was a possible settlement near here! We should-"

"There! A tower, and a bridge, they must be inside the valley side!" a marksdwarf shouted, pointing at Nomekast's 'lighthouse', whose windows shone in the sunlight. Obokimaz wasted no time, already running down the valley toward the river to get across, still holding her handkerchief to her nose. As she ran, she noticed a large hole in the ground, leading down into its depths. She hesitated for a moment between crossing the river and going into what had to be an artificial entrance to the ground, before deciding to take a chance and go down into the earth.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Fori had been in the lighthouse that morning, sitting at the open top, breathing in the fresh air and admiring the sunlight that flooded the valley from the east. The Defilers ruined the view somewhat, but she was still glad to be once again able to breathe in fresh, natural air, and admire the green plant life, even if she could not frolic amongst it. As she sat there, she became aware of movement on the opposite side of the valley. At first she thought it was Nothing, but she soon realised that the figures were humanoid, and quite short. Dwarves. They moved across the valley, then stopped for a while, before, apparently noticing the Nothing that were soon to be bearing down on them, moving down the valley, one moved particularly quickly, speeding ahead of the others.

Clearly they had seen Nomekast, as well as the Nothing, and were moving down to seek sanctuary. She swiftly left her seat, hurtling down the stairs to tell the Dwarves of the newcomers and to have the corridor entrance opened.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Urist Obokimaz found herself staring at a moat and a rock wall. A wail left her lips as she realised she was in a dead-end, with Nothing probably coming for her as she stood there. A noise made her almost fall into the moat, and she spun round to see the rest of the caravan arriving.

"It's closed you fools." she said, as though they had made some mistake she hadn't. However, the moment she had pronounced these words, the drawbridge clattered down, leading them into a corridor. Once again Obokimaz didn't wait, swiftly moving across to safety, the caravan followed after her. At the end of the corridor several Dwarves stood waiting for them,

"Is that all of you?" one asked. They nodded, the Dwarf moved to a set of levers, pulling two of them. At the entrance to the hallway the drawbridge slammed shut, followed by the sound of a second one.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Ibruk stepped forward now, leaning on his cane,

"Welcome pilgrims. You have travelled far, please, what may we do for you?" he asked gently.

Urist Obokimaz cleared her throat,

"I am Urist Obokimaz, state liaison to the colonies of the Grizzly Vessel and daughter of Count Risen, you may called me Lady Obokimaz. I am here to ask you...people for shelter while we prepare for our journey back to the Mountainhomes." she stated proudly. Ibruk frowned, recognizing the name of Count Risen,

"Ah, oh, alas, I fear they may be a problem. For you see, we are a community of pilgrims led here by the gods to escape the punishment decreed upon the Ilral Dynasty and the mortal empires for their decadence. We cannot harbour the daughter of such a sinful Dwarf as the Count unless she confesses."

"Insults! Are you refusing to help us!?"

"Certainly not, but lest you repent, you cannot stay."

"I wouldn't want to stay in this muck-ridden place."
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 03:35:47 pm by Aequor »
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 22, 2010, 06:05:54 pm »

I take it I didn't get hurt all that bad despite being thrown? Whew, I could have gotten really unlucky and have a bone smashed apart and then have it infected (possibly leading to my death).

Anyway, that fight went really well for a FB that could shoot webs. Hopefully our luck will continue.

Also: Are you planing on getting another map up Aequor?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 22, 2010, 06:08:17 pm »

Gutanoth - Welcome to Nomekast! Please join the queue with the others. :P While I won't reveal anything, I can say that this will eventually go into the origin of the Nothing, but not until the fort's a bit more settled.

Queue? Of course I can! We English invented queuing.

But yeah, like how you handled the traders. And the story so far

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 22, 2010, 06:27:07 pm »

It was not a pleasant battle at all, I reflect, as I watch the caravan unload.

The vision was a nice warning, yes, but these words that the beast spoke...

They weren't Standard. They weren't Dwarven either. They weren't any of the varied languages I'd studied.

So that meant that forgotten beasts had a language of their own. A language that only I can understand. The beasts death cries were... horrible to say the least. And never say that they can't come up with creative tortures and insults.

But think of what we could learn! The mysteries of the deep are long sought after, but any glimpse of the truth is therefor followed by blood and death. I must convince the others to try to trap the next one that comes along. For if we are to survive, we must know of our enemy. This "He who has no name"... "He who does not exist"... He must have been the one to send down the Nothing. What better name for a creature made by a non-existent being? I must tell the others.

I must find the Truth.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 06:29:05 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 23, 2010, 11:52:42 am »

Fori grunted as she set down the crate of trade goods at the depot. She wasn’t as strong as most dwarves just yet, but there was no denying that she was stronger than most elves she had known. Most elves never had to do labor of this sort; it really was a good exercise. She was rather proud though, that she managed to retain her grace, agility, and flexibility despite this.

Despite her improved physical ability, she still needed to pause and rest a moment. Leaning against the cave wall, she listened in on Ibruk discussing with the liaison. Not so much ‘discussing’ as ‘spouting more fanatic nonsense’ Fori revised, after a moment. It had taken just a few moments before the Count’s daughter became offended. Fori didn’t pretend to know who this Count Risen was, and why Ibruk didn’t like him, but didn’t that nutcase know that we had enough enemies at the present? We didn’t want to add a slighted Count to the hordes of defilers and the constant stream of forgotten beasts. Fori just shook her head.

In the meanwhile, as she rested, she was getting a few odd looks from the traders and the caravan guards. (She was glad Bax didn’t decide to come up) But oddly, they didn’t seem as surprised as she expected. Eventually, she worked up her courage to head over the caravan. She decided to avoid the Lady, as chances were, she’d be offended somehow by an elf, but she went to the traders. She looked over the goods a moment, noting the variety of dwarf products. There were a few human goods mixed in with them too, acquired during their trade missions.

Fori let out a sudden gasp, and quickly seized a small wooden recorder from amid a neat array of instruments. She didn’t recognize the regional style, but it was elven make! She spun to one of the dwarven traders.

“Where did you get this?” She asked suddenly, clutching the recorder to herself.

“Th’ southern forests, we ‘ad stopped there to trade with the elven retreat over a-“ The dwarf began, but was cut off by a sudden un-elf like whoop from Fori. She shoved several stone crafts of Nomekast’s make into the traders hands, in all probability worth several times the recorder’s worth, and had run off singing a joyous song taking the recorder with her. She wasn’t the last of her kind as she had feared! There were other retreats that weren’t overrun! Before long, cheerful music from the recorder began filling the tunnels and caverns of Nomekast.

ProZocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 23, 2010, 09:49:18 pm »

Bax War journal

Too busy to write, crab for dinner and goods to "aquire".
Lil beardy sure likes crab cakes tough!
I always imagine dwarves to train as if fighting pretend monsters. "It's a carp, use your sword!" "Shwish! Shwoosh! It's dead!" "Oh no, it's a giant cave spider! Noo, it's got me! Kill it with your axe!" "Swoosh, I cut off its head!"
UNDEAD ELEPHANTS.HERDS OF THEM.EVEN IN DEATH I STILL GRAZE.

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 25, 2010, 07:05:26 pm »

Would i be able to have a captured child from my tower too (not too concerned if there isn't any spare)?

They would be an elf child. Gutusp would actually have worked them as a slave/assistant in her tower, but when they had to escape, she kept it because it was hers, dammit! when they were out, the child wouldn't have acutally been of that much use in the world, but they were dragged along for when she reached her next home. after a while she stopped being so harsh on it and did effectively a resigned sigh on the whole situation, and decided to teach them how to actually be useful in the outside world. The child has done things no elf should ever do. like make a fire - out of natural wood [/drama]. Gutusp will always refer to the child as a girl, and wil do so until told otherwise.

posting really late over here, so sorry if it sounds rather stupid. (i know its unoriginal too)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 08:00:35 am by Gutanoth »

Areku

• Bay Watcher
  • Merry Christmas to all ye landlubbers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 26, 2010, 09:46:20 am »

Well, I reckon that hairy crab must've left quite a big shell, no? And with a legendary bonecarver around... I'm just saying that Delta wouldn't mind having a +Forgotten Beast Shell Helm+, if you get what I mean.  :P
"And apparently your daughter likes to eat live cats"
                              - Legacy of Fíma succession game, fort two, said by Big Cheese, weaponsmith, about Duh102's daughter. (Not that you know any of these dwarves)
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 76