Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 180195 times)

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - Hiding from Nothing
« Reply #315 on: September 11, 2010, 01:25:44 am »

He was commenting on how you want tons of lead.  Lead blocks radiation pretty effectively and I assume there must be some pitchblende in the fort somewhere...I WANT A PITCHBLENDE ROOM! :D
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 11, 2010, 01:56:57 am »

He was commenting on how you want tons of lead.  Lead blocks radiation pretty effectively and I assume there must be some pitchblende in the fort somewhere...I WANT A PITCHBLENDE ROOM! :D
I'm pretty sure only the 206Pb, 207Pb, and 208Pb isotopes of lead are radioactive (at least, that's as much as I can put together from what Wikipedia had on the main lead and lead isotope page), as they're part of the decaying process of radioactive materials. 204Pb, on the other hand, is entirely primordial and not from radioactive decay (once again, that's based on what I could put together from the two Wikipedia pages). So the only possible way to get radioactive lead is to have it decay from radioactive material. So unless there's some Pitchblende or some other radioactive stuff mixed in with the Galena, that lead's not radioactive.

Of course, if anyone can and wants to prove me wrong, please do (no, really, I like to learn new things). Just remember I won't believe it unless you have a link to a page that says so.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 11, 2010, 01:59:32 am »

Perhaps I'm just misinformed, but isn't Galena an ore of Silver, and not Lead?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 11, 2010, 02:06:17 am »

Perhaps I'm just misinformed, but isn't Galena an ore of Silver, and not Lead?
Nope, it's a lead ore. It just contains significant amounts of silver with the lead. Go ahead and read the page if you're interested.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 11, 2010, 10:48:34 am »

I'm pretty sure only the 206Pb, 207Pb, and 208Pb isotopes of lead are radioactive (at least, that's as much as I can put together from what Wikipedia had on the main lead and lead isotope page), as they're part of the decaying process of radioactive materials. 204Pb, on the other hand, is entirely primordial and not from radioactive decay (once again, that's based on what I could put together from the two Wikipedia pages). So the only possible way to get radioactive lead is to have it decay from radioactive material. So unless there's some Pitchblende or some other radioactive stuff mixed in with the Galena, that lead's not radioactive.

Of course, if anyone can and wants to prove me wrong, please do (no, really, I like to learn new things). Just remember I won't believe it unless you have a link to a page that says so.
I wasn't talking about radioactive lead silly I just assumed that since you were wanting what basically looked like some sort of lab made of lead that you were planning to mess about with pitchblende.
As someone said I was lead (lol) to this assumption since lead is an effective way of blocking radiation. Usually.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 11, 2010, 01:04:36 pm »

...Where did radioactive lead come into this???  I was talking about leads ability to block most radiation. (excluding neutrinos. ;))
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 11, 2010, 01:50:12 pm »

As someone said I was lead (lol) to this assumption since lead is an effective way of blocking radiation. Usually.
Ahhhh.

...Where did radioactive lead come into this???  I was talking about leads ability to block most radiation. (excluding neutrinos. ;))
Errr... That was a amazing misread on my part. Whoops. :P

At least you guys now know more things about lead than you knew before! ...Right?

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 11, 2010, 09:25:34 pm »

Every day is a school day on this forum.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 18, 2010, 03:18:50 pm »

Tarran - Sure, but if you get lead poisoning then it's your fault :P.

Also, sorry to all those waiting to be Dwarfed/Elfed/Humaned/Kobolded, but apparently;

I'm afraid you may have a longer wait before you :-\.

7th Galena 675 - Morning

Derm continued working for the next two days, stopping only to chew on a plump helmet or to down a tankard of Dwarven beer. Inspired by whatever he had seen, he single-handedly hauled a huge block of gypsum rock up to the workshops, then took an iron bar, a fungiwood log, some mica and more gypsum, as well as giant olm and gorlak bones. Then he ushered everyone out of the workshops, claiming to need peace and quiet to work. Then he spoke no more but got to work, a smile on his face. Two days afterwards he waltzed out, calling everyone to see the masterpiece that the gods had inspired him to make,

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"A coffin?" Tarran asked disbelievingly. Rion glanced sideways at Ibruk,

"Well, my dear prophet, what are the gods trying to tell us now? That we should prepare our tombs?" he said slightly mockingly. Derm spoke before Ibruk could interpret anything. He pointed at the coffin,

"I remember flying above the world, out into the stars, and seeing the temple of the gods. And I remember Dustik, my patron goddess speaking to me, at least I think it was her that spoke to me!" he explained excitedly.

"You mean you actually saw the goddess speaking to you!?" Kadzar asked, awed. Derm gave a nod,

"Well, not exactly, but I heard her and saw her temple! I don't remember everything but..." he trailed off here.

"Who's this?" Torvold asked, pointing at the image of the female Dwarf in giant olm bone.

"Mafol Chainedabbeys." Derm answered automatically.

"Who?" Torvold repeated, the name unfamiliar. Derm shrugged,

"I don't know, I just know that it's Mafol Chainedabbeys."

"I've heard that name." Bounce piped up, "I think she was the outpost liaison for the Grizzly Vessel."

"This must be moved to the temple." Kadzar said firmly, interrupting their musings. Ibruk nodded,

"The goddess herself knows that hard times are ahead, and has prepared a sarcophagus to remind us of this." he said solemnly, "This holy artifact, Gadankobem - The Honest Trouble, must be kept safe within the temple."

"And why must it be in the temple?" Reg demanded to know.

"Because these are sacred artifacts inspired by the gods - and thus should be housed within the temples of those gods." Kadzar said firmly, giving Stas - who wore Throatground on his wrist - a pointed stare.

"It's Derm's coffin, let him decide where it goes." Urist ventured. The group rounded on Derm, who glanced at The Honest Trouble, perhaps realizing the meaning of its name.

"Well-" he begun, "-the goddess Dustik inspired me to create it, so I suppose it should be in the temple."

10th Galena 675 - Midnight

Once again they met in the dead of night, this time besides the wall that led to the Spider Maze. Stas was leaning on the schist wall, his mind deep in thought when Bax arrived, Atis trailing behind the greenskin.

"Well? Have you thought 'bout my proposition?" Bax said immediately, not wasting any time for pleasantries that Goblin society didn't even have. Stas cleared his throat, standing up fluidly,

"Well-" he begun, "-it should be against my better judgement to accept a Goblin. But you've proved that you're not some backstabbing monster, and your abilities will be a great boon." he said. Bax smiled toothily,

"I'm glad to hear that. You'll see, there's nothing better than life in the home-towers to teach you valuable skills in...what would ya call it? Subterfuge, that's it."

Stas gave a smile,

"No doubt. With your skills added to mine, hell's the limit. And it just so happens that silver bars have been minted in the forges..."

Limestone 675

The month of Limestone passed quickly, and without any of the tribulations that usually marked the months, the worst being Bounce still not finding where the missing gems had vanished to, a fact that bothered the dutiful bookkeeper. The harvest was brought in, ensuring food for the rest of the year, while the surplus was brewed into fine Dwarven beer, ale and wine. Between shifts at the magma forges Tarran had toiled on his cottage, with most of the flooring for the second storey finished. Everything - including the workshops - had now been moved to the caverns, only the militia barracks remained on the upper levels. Tarran and Muenster were both still hard at work forging all the metal ores that had been mined out into valuble copper, iron and silver bars, along with zinc and lead. Gadankobem had been moved down into a special section in the temple underground, where it was daily anointed by Kadzar and his fellow priests. Peace settled once more in Nomekast, not only could they now see out into the outer world, but thanks to the stairs, they could even stand on top of the lighthouse and breathe in the fresh air. This meant that in clear weather they could stand on the top of the lighthouse, while in rain they could still see out thanks to the windows.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

8th Sandstone 675 - Noon

As Limestone passed and the community moved into Sandstone, work began to slow. With the increasingly festive mood growing as they drew closer to Obsidian and the New Year there was less incentive to work quite so hard. They had enough food and drink, and safe walls to protect them from the hostile creatures of the deeps, along with a militia that was now well-equipped with copper and iron equipment if any occasion should arise that needed violence. Tarran had claimed several lead bars to build himself lead furniture for his dining-room for reasons not quite understood; thanks to the fact that he had forged the bars himself, coupled with the general uselessness of lead itself, there was little opposition to his taking of the lead. His cottage, drawing increasingly-closer to completion over its year of construction, had made many wish to emulate it and build their own little houses in the caves.

Taking a break from the tiring fieldwork, Derm decided to go down into the temple's underground section, to see Gadankobem, his creation. The vision he had seen still when he was first inspired by the gods to make it haunted him still. He had come to definitely think it was Dustik Egebber, goddess of the rain and of plants who had spoken to him. She was his patron god, as decided by his lineage after all, but he wasn't certain. Some details had faded from his memory, but he still vividly remembered passing through the endless realms of the gods, and Dustik's last words still echoed in his ears,

'Uphold your duty and defend the light.'

He had no idea what exactly she meant, possibly she meant 'fight off the Nothing', possibly she meant 'do some great act like the heroes of old', he wasn't sure. Gadankobem stood by itself in its own chamber off the cemetery, Derm approached it, admiring its details. He was still amazed that his own hands had created it, and since its creation, he had indeed been excellent at any kind of masonry, just as Ibruk and Melagius had become great at bone-carving after the creation of their own artifacts, Stas also possibly had become a master at stonecrafting or masonry or suchlike, but the Dwarf was almost never seen at work so he had no idea if it was true. Derm laid a hand on the gypsum coffin, feeling the completely smoothed rock. He looked at the image of Mafol Chainedabbeys. And then froze, his eyes glazing over. All the sounds of the world phased out, then the lights until he was left in a featureless void, and then came a great booming voice,
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 03:10:13 pm by Aequor »
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 18, 2010, 03:33:09 pm »

A giant enemy crab. We are seriously fighting a giant enemy crab. Just...what!?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 18, 2010, 03:35:09 pm »

I love the write up.

Also,

Hit its weak point for MASSIVE DAMAGE.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: September 18, 2010, 03:39:19 pm »

Oh shit...

A giant enemy crab. We are seriously fighting a giant enemy crab. Just...what!?
Not just any crab, a crab that's hairy with patchy indigo hair and can shoot webs like a GCS. We are so screwed.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: September 18, 2010, 03:54:03 pm »

I AM.
The voice comes from everywhere.
THROUGH LICENSE OF HE WHO HAS NO NAME I HAVE COME.
It echoes in my mind as a terrible visage attacks my senses.
THOUGH MY TEN LEGS HAVE NEVER TOUCHED UPON THE HOLY SURFACE I HAVE COME.
A great monstrosity unfolds upon my eyes.
YOU HAVE INTRUDED UPON HIS LAND AND I SHALL BE THE ONE TO DRIVE YOU OUT.
I scream as I feel Webbing surround my body.
I AM THE BEAST OF TREACHERY! I SHALL WRAP ALL OF YOU IN A COCOON OF YOUR OWN DECEIT.
He lowers his gaping maw towards my head.
I AM THE LIES OF HE WHO DOES NOT EXIST.
He Bites.
I AM AMAS.
I wake up.
I HAVE COME.
I run.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 08:01:07 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: September 18, 2010, 04:22:39 pm »

I have been searching for signs of another warren for weeks now...  Ever since my home had been razed by the elven whores (not all of us kobolds are thieves!  Damn those who had stolen the elves +rope reed thong+...) I have been looking.  And all I have found is Nothing.  Nothing in the mountains, Nothing in the plains, Nothing in the forests, great swarms of Nothing where Mountain Halls, Retreats, Warrens, and Citadels once stood.  At least the home of the elves had been destroyed as well...They might have lived had they not chosen to kill us in their misguided hunt for revenge. *ptah* nothing to do but keep walking, keep looking, and find somewhere to live.  Somewhere safe from the pointy eared butchers and from the Nothing which was consuming the world.

OOC:  I recently had a Kobold camp get razed by the elves (Kutebolds ftw) the Dwarves were also at war but they did not attack, so I dont hate them.  Just distrust. Goblins were wiped out in my world so, I will have no opinion there.  Same with the humans.  :D
if possible, could I sneak off to a small corner of the caverns away from the main activity area (but still safe) and start a small farm maybe confuse the bookkeeper as too much food comes in or something.  I am seriously playing the honest kobold. XD  Additionally, I view kobolds as very intelligent, but weak physically and their speech is less developed than other races (similar to the effects of RL Wernickies Aphasia) so they are considered stupid.  Sorry about the longing explanation.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 11:53:21 pm by Xenos »
[DWARFINEERING]

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: September 18, 2010, 05:45:01 pm »

From the log of Fori

Another forgotten beast has reared its ugly visage to trouble our fortress again. Two already have left their bones in our stockpiles, and their meat salted and preserved in our barrels. What drives these creatures to attack us? Does our survival enrage them enough to attack, despite the earlier failures? Do they come out of vengeance for the deaths of the two other beasts? Or do they simply seek out settlements to attack by instinct, and come to us since we’re one of the few that are left?

It doesn’t matter. The dwarves have killed two such beasts now, and many defilers too. This one will be no different. The monsters do not hold the same terror for me they once did, even if they are still feared. That has done much to lift me out of my depression, the resolve that these things can be defeated even by the likes of me. Or it could be the completed lighthouse too. Now that it’s done, I often go there to look out into the forest, and breathe the fresh air. Being able to see my beloved forest again after so long has done wonders for me. But I haven’t stayed there as much as I originally thought, as I’ve also come to love the wilderness down beneath the earth too. I’ve become a being of two worlds now, a steward of two forests.

There is a third reason though, defilers, lighthouses, and forgotten beasts aside, the dreams continue to haunt me. But they’ve changed. In the dreams, I still walk through the forest of black corrupted trees, beating leaves like defilers’ tentacles. The other elves are still in the distance, who either act as if I do not exist, or regard me with contempt. What has changed though, is me. I no longer walk timidly and afraid. I stand straight and proud, wearing the dwarf armor and carrying my sword in my hand. I notice it is always stained with defiler blood. Again, as I walk through the evil forest, I see the oasis of green and purity, and the ancient elf there who alone regards me with kindness. There’s a hint of a fathers pride in his gaze too. However, as before, whenever I approach him, the trees turn to defilers, and swarm me. This time I hold my ground, fighting to get through them, but I am brought to a halt. At least I no longer dream I’m fleeing them or being struck down by them though.

While this is a curious change, and possibly a hopeful one, it leaves me wondering still. Who is that ancient elf? I’m beginning to get a few ideas though. Recently, Derm had finished his project, and claims a dwarf goddess had directed him. Are the elf gods trying to do the same to me? Even after I abandoned the life of an elf to live below the earth with the dwarves? I’m not certain, but I don’t know what is going on. I’ve been spending more time at the temple as of late trying to figure it out. At least while that zealout Ibruk isn’t there.

One thing I have noted though. The statue of Dustik Egebber, the dwarf goddess of plants and rain, bears a remarkable resemblance to one of the goddesses I used to worship, back in the retreat.

((There's many nameless dwarves in the fortress, isn't there? Couldn't the people on the waiting list have them?))
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 76