Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 180185 times)

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - Hiding from Nothing
« Reply #300 on: September 04, 2010, 11:53:21 pm »

Watching for lulz

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 04, 2010, 11:58:18 pm »

Bunch of interested posters-Check.
Extremely promising and well detailed fort and story-Check.
Custom hyper lethal mod-Check.
Authors promise of many updates-Check.
Magma-Check, Check, and Check.
Author-Not Check.

RAGE

The word Check seems kinda wrong now. It's like I'm seeing a not-word. read it like thirty times in a row and you'll feel it.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 05, 2010, 02:37:18 am »

but, i want to be a non klepto kobold!  I can be a kobold with a serious mental disorder (for kobolds not stealing is a disorder.  it would be akin to a dwarf who dislikes alcohol.  And doesn't slow down

Or make a me a spearkobold...
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 05, 2010, 06:00:20 pm »

masam - Forgot to answer you, sorry. Muenster's done some training in macedwarfship, he's only dabbling at the moment because I've had him busy making some windows for Tarran's cottage along with helping in the new magma forges.

Xenos - A kobold? But-but-but that's insane! But so are two Elves, a Human and a Goblin, so sure thing! As ever, please wait on line for the next surviving immigrants. We haven't had immigrants for some time now, so there'll hopefully be some soon.

Dermonster - It's not my fault! Well, yes it is, but, erm, I RESIGN!

Malachite 675

The Dwarves (and Elf and Goblin) had made much progress since Thudel's death. Kadzar had been treated by Reg, the hospital was moved to the caverns after his discharge. Furthermore they had had no trouble except for a single giant olm that had swiftly been dealt with by Rion. A few enterprising Dwarves had also begun collecting cave spider silk, weaving it into thread and cloth.  But perhaps more important to the survival and prospering of the community were the magma forges. Shin, being an ex-Royal architect, had not gone for a simple design, but what she termed to be a 'Dwarven' design, and few people argued with her on it; not just because she was violently proud of her work, but because it was. The way to the magma pool of Derfori had been cleared and the pool sealed off from the rest of the caves to avoid a replay of Mysterydrip's attack. Torvold had expressed a desire to use the second magma pool, the Molten Crater, for various traps and devices, but for now it was sealed away.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

With the forges done Tarran had begun the arduous process of smelting all of the ore that had been mined, and then forging armour for the militia. When the smelting of iron and copper had finished, the galena and native platinum they had found were smelted into shining bars of silver and platinum. Ibruk and Kadzar had expressed the desire to see this wealth added to the temple, but most Dwarves agreed that that would be a waste. For now though the precious metals were stacked away and seeing no use.

But perhaps the most significant achievement had the renewed interest in the 'lighthouse'. Though the first incarnation had been destroyed by the Nothing who had smashed through the window, the Dwarves had not given up the idea of building a window that would allow them to look out across the valley and spot possible refugees. Though everyone agreed it was risky, they also knew that lives were possibly at stake, and it was important that they could see what the Nothing were doing. And so Muenster was contracted once more to create gem windows. This time four would be made, one in each direction to give total view over the valley. The window would be placed up on a tower, where the Nothing couldn't reach it.

5th Galena 675 - Morning

"Alright then, get ready. Something tells me the Nothing won't just watch us." Rion told his fellow militiadwarves. They had all gathered up in the lighthouse, Kadzar and his warrior-priests were also present, as was Muenster with his mace; even Fori was there, with her delicate sword forged for Elven swordelfship. Bax was slouching at the back against the wall, a disinterested look on his face. They had no idea how strong the Nothing could have become while the Dwarves had been secluded, and so any who could wield a weapon had been conscripted. Spartan, Urist, Shin and Delta were also present, with the stones needed to build the strong Dwarven walls of the new lighthouse. Once the lower walls were made, the windows would be fitted, out of reach of the Nothing to prevent a replay of the previous attempt at windows.

"OK? Are we ready?" Urist asked, "We remove the wall, you leap out and kill the Nothing, we build the walls and the stairs, and then close the wall back up again."

"Easy-in, easy-out. Darksquids aren't much compared to what we've faced recently." Spartan nodded.

"Let us pray that's true." Kadzar murmured. Taking a deep breath, Delta and Spartan moved to the single shale wall that kept the Nothing out, and with their picks began to dig away at it. Soon bright sunlight filtered in.

"Augh, I think I'm gonna be sick." Melagius groaned, shielding his eyes,

"Better get use to it, we need to move out." Derm said, "It's no brighter than magma."

The militia, backed with Fori, Bax, Kadzar's priests and Muenster tramped out. Though the Dwarves' eyesight was briefly impaired due to the bright light and the growing cave adaptation, Fori and Bax's Elven and Goblin eyes took charge.

"There!" Bax growled, pointing at the other side of the valley. Fori nodded, spinning round,

"And there!" she cried, pointing up at the rising slope behind them. Nothing were slowly undulating down the slopes, while more were crossing the river Squeezemunch to attack.

"Go, go, go!" Rion yelled, motioning for Delta, Spartan, Urist and Shin to move out. The four charged out, arms loaded with stone. They immediately begun building the wall, while Spartan took his pick and began digging stairs out to down below. By the time the Nothing's arrived one wall was already built to impenetrable Dwarven standard, while the military Dwarves had got used to the brightness and the beating sun, and so prepared their weapons. One Nothing reached them ahead of the others, it didn't stand a chance as Rion promptly hacked a limb off, followed by Fori slicing another tentacle off with a twirl of her arm and finally Melagius stabbing his sword straight into it. The Nothing hissed, falling down and dissolving into black mist. But more were arriving,

"Hurry with those walls!" Bax snarled, the greenskin having been assailed by a Nothing. Three Nothings moved in now, one on Bax, one on Muenster and one on Johan. Once again the superior numbers on the Dwarven side made short work of them, but over a dozen were climbing up the slopes towards them, and more were still crossing Squeezemunch.

"Ok! That'll do it!" Shin yelled down at the soldiers, carefully affixing the last stone slab in the wall, "Let's get back in. Now!"

The four civilians hastily made their way back inside the lighthouse, while the military brought in the rear. Before the Nothing could arrive, the opening to Nomekast was sealed once more.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Everyone breathed a sigh of relief. The Nothing couldn't climb walls, and so would not be able to reach inside. But the work had only begun - though the hardest part had been done. Muenster would now need to fit the windows in, while the Masons would need to roof the tower.

"Well, I'm gla-" Derm begun, before suddenly stopping. He glanced at the pieces of rock lying on the floor, picked one up, examined it, smiled and suddenly shot up, running off.

[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 05, 2010, 06:07:52 pm »

Well, thank goodness Dermonster picked a mason's workshop. Rather than a damned craftsdwarf workshop. He'll likely make something useful, instead of the useless junk that always comes out of the craftsdwarf workshop.

Can't wait to have a fey mood myself. Then I'll be making amazing weapons so fast you won't know what to do with them.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 05, 2010, 07:14:29 pm »

I rested against the freshly made cool wall.

"Good job everyone," I heard in a bit of a daze. "Those nothings are becoming, though little, less of a threat by the day."

"Well," I say, "I'm Gla-" I cut off as a see a spark of green near the floor. I bend down and pick up a simple rock.

It is a common stone around here, but I could see no indication of what-

My child...

I start as I realize that I am no longer in the tower base.

I am above the fort and as a start moving I rush ever higher and I see a billion realms I See endless suns I rush toward and distant spirals in a never ending cascade of twilight and silence and I see a world of light and sound andIcannotstopIammovingsofast Iamgoingtocrash

And I stand and stare in the temple of the gods.

My child...

I see in front of me in the blinding radiance my patron god.

"You-"

My head echoes as a voice of endless power encompasses my soul.

Silence child. Your time to speak will come.

I have a task for you.

"A task?" I ask as the walls of runes glow bright and I can barely keep my sanity from breaking from looking at symbols Dwarf was not meant to know.

Yes. A work of art. Of magnificence. To fill the void.

A tendril of light shoots out and it touches my head-

A thousand lifetimes pass and a thousand more continue I see the creation of dawn and at the end of dusk the world shall burn in waters so sweet the rivers are red but the skies purest blue the darkness encroaching upon my soul my hand I am working the light shines out a new day begins.

-and I understand.

"Why me?" I croak out as everything fades.

Because you are the one to drive back the dark. You may not understand. You may be angry or confused. But in time it will become clear.

Go now. Uphold your duty and defend the light.

The tower fades in, I stare at the rock.

I smile, then head off.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 09:54:25 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 05, 2010, 09:45:36 pm »

Whatever you make, I'm going to have it put in the temple. Even if it's just a door. No, especially if it's a door.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 06, 2010, 01:18:09 am »

From the log of Fori

For the first time, my sword has drawn blood. If that vile fluid running through the defiler’s veins can be called such.

It started with the plans to rebuild the lighthouse, to let us see the outside world. I had been a big supporter of it, it would let us see any immigrants seeking refuge, and any defilers on the move. And it would let me see the beloved sun again, after so long. Has it truly been more than a year? But the dwarves were concerned, we would be emerging blind to the defilers’ numbers, so the dwarves were preparing for the worst. Given my training with the sword and my armor, I was asked to accompany them.

It was a trying experience, but I’m glad I helped. I didn’t have much time to appreciate the sun, as it was up to my elfish eyes to spot any defilers that would come, while the dwarves recovered from surface blindness. There were dozens of them, trampling delicate grass and plants I had not seen in months. As swift as the dwarves’ building was, one of the defilers reached us before they had finished.

I had seen these beasts so far only while fleeing them. This was the first time I laid eyes on them standing firm and armed. It was terrifying and exhilarating at the same time. To be able to stand my ground and defy these monsters of nightmares was not something I ever thought I could do. Even now the battle, brief yet furious, sticks in my mind. As the defiler charged three of us, I remember the fear gripping me. I felt frozen, as still as the stone the dwarves love. As it reached out it’s tentacles and claws for us, my body suddenly seemed to move on it’s own accord, acting on hours upon hours of training unconsiously. My eyes spotted an opening, and with a speed no heavy dwarven blade could match, my sword darted in, and neatly severed a tentacle reaching for me. A split second later, Melagius dispatched the monster with a powerful thrust.

But even then I could not stop. As we finished off that one, three more came. Without thinking, I charged with a group of dwarves to fight them off. My rapier darted in and out, piercing through narrow openings, and skewering one of the monsters through an eye. The next moment, Shin was shouting for us to come in, and seconds later, I was safe underground with a dwarf sealing away the sun again. I was left standing there, breathing hard, and staring down at my sword covered in black defiler ichor.

It was about then my mind caught up with what I had just done. I, Fori, the lone elf in a fortress of dwarves, had killed defilers with my own hands. That very act robbed the monsters of much of their terror. They were still powerful and numerous, but no longer were they these unassailable monsters that could only be fled from. They weren’t invincible, I had disproved that! Twice even! And they hadn’t even touched me! I couldn’t help myself, I began laughing like a mad elf from the sheer relief I felt. My only regret is that they did not leave a corpse to cook and eat, as was elf tradition. But I made do with licking a little of the ichor off of my sword, to the startled stare of many of the dwarves around me. It tasted vile, but it was worth it.

That evening, as expected, the dwarves opened up the booze stockpile to celibrate. It didn’t take me much cajoling to share in the drinking, and this time, exaggerated stories of my own joined those of the jolly dwarf braggarts. They earned much laughter, drunken congradulations, and titles such as ‘the dwarfiest elf’ and ‘nothing eater’. I knew I was going to wake up with a splitting headache, but I wouldn’t miss this for the world.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 01:20:56 am by Fortis »

ProZocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 06, 2010, 10:05:49 am »

Bax's War Journal

Dear War Journal
We had fun today. Its a shame we cant really eat nothing though...
It's almost time to my new meeting with that shifty Dwarf, so Ill keep on writing later.
I always imagine dwarves to train as if fighting pretend monsters. "It's a carp, use your sword!" "Shwish! Shwoosh! It's dead!" "Oh no, it's a giant cave spider! Noo, it's got me! Kill it with your axe!" "Swoosh, I cut off its head!"
UNDEAD ELEPHANTS.HERDS OF THEM.EVEN IN DEATH I STILL GRAZE.

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 09, 2010, 01:19:15 am »

Steves scribblings.
Ah bloody hell that sounded fun. Sonner I get my crossbow fixed the better I feel bad for not being there to help the Gore Squad the other day. Although from the sounds of it they probably didn't need me jumping about shooting bolts and chucking sticky plasters at them. But still, I'm getting rather bored here if Derm and Fori decide to go wandering about underground again I think I'll go with them. Should have done that anyway when they went looking for pigtails but as mentioned some bastards done the off with the firing mechinism for my crossbow and I've had neither the time or the skill to get it fixed.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
So yeah, if Derm wants to go strolling about in the underground again have Steve go with him and also replace his crossbow or I fear he'll keep moaning about it.

masam

• Bay Watcher
  • How lovely...Burn it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 10, 2010, 01:14:30 am »

Muenster's Brick:  Perhaps pulling a double shift is wearing on me.  I'm not as young as I used to be, though bashing in the heads of those squidily folk does make the joint pain go away for a while...My craft is finally useful again.  I may spend nearly as much time atop that tower as I can.  May not be the dwarfiest thing I could do, but the sun is a sight once in awhile.  It'll be hard to defend this place if we get too used to the tunnels.  Stopin any of them outside is the best bet for us...they get inside...well I don't want to think about that, bad memories and such.

Poor Brie... and Cambridge too.  Good kids they were.  Best children a dwarf could ask for.   Eh, great.  Now i've got myself reminiscing and such.  I mis ya madzie...  Take care of them until I can meet ya there alright?  I'm doing what you said and lookin forward.  And i've taken a liking to(The tablet is broken here, and continues on seemingly a few paragraphs later.)

dows though...they'll be some of the finest dwarfdom has ever seen!  and if I can swing it past the zeal..er...pastor here, maybe I'll be able to add some fine inlay along the edges.  To family, and to startin over, and I know one of the dwarfiest women in this mountainhome to court.  Better find some spare gems...i know i have some small pieces laying around from the window...see if she'll like some flowers outta stone.  heh, these ones'll never wilt

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 10, 2010, 01:25:38 am »

Aequor, I'd like to request three lead chairs, one lead table, and two lead statues, all in a dining room (for myself) with a lead door whenever I'm not doing anything important. It would make use of all the lead you get by smelting all that galena, and get me some training in metalsmithing. Plus, It would give me a semi-nice dining room.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 10, 2010, 02:01:06 am »

Yes.....soon the hilarity will increase....(my kobold gets a silver war hammer ;) )
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 10, 2010, 09:07:37 am »

Aequor, I'd like to request three lead chairs, one lead table, and two lead statues, all in a dining room (for myself) with a lead door whenever I'm not doing anything important. It would make use of all the lead you get by smelting all that galena, and get me some training in metalsmithing. Plus, It would give me a semi-nice dining room.
Thinking of playing with the Uranium now are we?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 10, 2010, 03:50:55 pm »

Thinking of playing with the Uranium now are we?
What? There's no Uranium in Galena. What are you talking about?
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 76