Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 180259 times)

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - Hiding from Nothing
« Reply #780 on: January 20, 2012, 02:03:41 pm »

(Here is a pre-dwarfing journal, since I am a spirit. Hopefully you get a non-named dwarf(or elf, or goblin) with a mood soon.)
From the memories of Neo
He could feel them behind him, clawing, crawling, hungering, their blackness engulfing.  Not even the realms of the spirits were safe anymore, the nothingness ensured that. Little hope was left to him, and still he ran, pursuing safety, unwilling to give up. Everywhere he went, tainted souls blocked his passage, sending tendrils of darkness to snare him. Their souls darkened, none could host him, lest he be extinguished for ever. Distant however, a beacon beckoned, sending a shaft of hope through the consuming darkness. So on he went, flying through the aether, and the light in the distances guided his path.
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: January 20, 2012, 02:52:42 pm »

They would wait in the dark places until Staz and Bax had gone to sleep 
(How do they know it was them? I seem to have missed that part.)
(If you look back at many of previous posts you notice that Mainhard has been having the Jagers scout every part of the fort with orders to "just watch". Now they have reason to act, remember kids, you never know who is watching.)
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

Xenir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: January 20, 2012, 10:38:52 pm »

Journal of Xenir,
 So this is Nomekast, one of the last remaining pockets of civilization in the known world. I'm surprised it has lasted this long, with all the risks they take; I would not have opened the gates if there were that many shades out there. Shades... Funny, they seem to call them "Nothings" here. Must be confusing. Anywho, I've noticed there is a surprising amount of diversity in this fortress; Kobolds, Elves, Humans and Dwarfs alike, all working together for survival. I will not complain however, as I am alive, and with a safe place to rest my head for the first time in months. Not to mention the fact that I came here with a bloody goblin.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: GoombaGeek
That sounds gay. It's not. It's fucking terrifying.
Quote from: GoombaGeek
Olin isn't fucking around this time. He knows it'll take more punishment than a BDSM expo in a tornado made out of serrated blades. So he hits it until the head is mush. Then he hits the body until it's got a soupy texture too. When he's done, it doesn't look like a cat. It looks like a fucking meat puddle.

RogueArchivist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: January 21, 2012, 01:47:59 pm »

Laboratory Log
Ugo Sosleng

So much to do, so little time to do it.  New deaths, newcomers, and a new government.
On to work.

To do:
-Acquire blood/flesh samples from the four that recently bled to death, as well as from the two injured refugees.
Probably should talk to either Reg or Doc Steve about that.

-Obtain blood/flesh sample from "hybrid" subject. Discreetly.

-Talk to Meinhard about my wish to observe the jagerdrought as it is applied to his recruits. Assuming any make the cut of course.

-Continue working with Fori to discern if the primary subject (Nothing 001) actually has anything resembling internal organs.

Sigh. A scientists work is never done.

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: January 23, 2012, 06:40:34 pm »

MrGrau - yep, you're already in, you got the unnamed migrant (technically a Goblin in the story, but whatever) that came with Kingfisher, John Lock and Xenir.

Also, sorry TALLPANZER, your Jagers can't find out the identities of the thieves this early on.

16th Slate 678 - Morning

The Dwarven philosopher and saint, St. Iton Netruled, famously stated that 'Mortals are born free and imprisoned by their minds'. Konith was unfamiliar with any Dwarven philosophers, let alone saints, but had he known Iton he would undoubtedly have told him that having a sullen Dwarf with axe intent on locking you up was a more effective way of imprisonment than your own mind.

From what he understood, Stronghammer had gone all out and ordered both the Iron Guard and the militia to question everyone - and imprison him. Apparently the Mayor didn't like threats to his cherished industry one bit. The Iron Guard had - of course, carried out his orders to the letter, except for Ahra who had refused to arrest the Kobold, and so had been relegated to guarding the forges for now. Tarran on the other hand, had gone straight to Derm. By all accounts even now the Sheriff was engaged in a furious argument with the Mayor. Though nervous, Konith was keeping calm. He had managed to speak with Stas before his incarceration. The Dwarf had suggested that the Thieves' Guild members should keep separate from each other for some time so as to not arouse suspicion. Furthermore the actual guild headquarters were off-limit, and would probably even be moved. More than that though, the Dwarf had given the Kobold an ace up his sleeve, or rather, a cut opal.

Currently the markskobold - and probably ex-Iron Guard - was sequestered in the small prison that had been made back when there had been the investigation into the deliberate cave-in that had almost killed Derm and Fori. This entire mess seemed to be going the way of a repeat of that. Of course, Konith hadn't been there for that, but by all accounts it had been a bit more dignified than the crackdown now. Zan, commander-in-chief of the Iron Guard, leant on the wall opposite him, his face hard and set. He had his axe in one hand, and certainly didn't seem to be willing to let it go any time soon. Konith wetted his lips in slight nervousness, this certainly hadn't been part of the plan.

"So how long will I be in here?" he asked. Zan shrugged,

"That's for the Mayor to decide. No doubt he'll want to question you personally when he's finished with the Sheriff."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"We are fighting a war, Derm!" Stronghammer said firmly. He wasn't shouting, not yet, but his voice was raised, and there was a hard edge to it, "If we let this outrage go unpunished then we invite the death of the entire fort too."

"Damn it Stronghammer!" Derm on the other hand, was shouting, "We were only just beginning to make everyone get along then you do this. What are they supposed to think?" he waved a hand out towards Stronghammer's office's door, indicating the rest of the community, "When suddenly your Guard and the militia start questioning everyone and everything? We already have Imiwa and her rabble-rousers complaining about everything, and even the other part of the Elven community is only now starting to accept the idea that a Bogeyman might be allowed to stay. You're going to tear down the already fragile racial tensions!"

"We have to question everyone!" Stronghammer jumped to his feet, "I don't know what Tarran has told you, but there's been no orders to interrogate people, we're simply asking if anyone saw anything!"

"With armed guards and after locking up the kobold who dared to be on duty when the place was raided! What are people supposed to think when they hear you've locked up one of your own guards for 'questioning' and now the rest of the would like to question them too?"

"Do your duty Sheriff!" Stronghammer said firmly. "You were elected to police this community. What if an Elf committed a crime? Would you let them get away with it so as to not 'tear down racial relations'?"

"Of course not! But maybe the Elves wouldn't be doing this if you weren't antagonising them with your wood burners! We don't need them, we have magma!"

"Those wood burners are vital industrial infrastructure! We need the ash, to make potash and pearlash! Why, your own friend Fori was just suggesting the other day making a glass dome above the surface compound, we'll need pearlash to make the clear glass, and that needs wood burners! And what of those Elves under Imiwa causing all this trouble? What have they done to help this community? They have no right to dictate the terms of use of industry to those actually working to save us from the Nothing!" Now the normally stoic industrialist was beginning to shout. When his industry was threatened, he fought back.

"What about Konith?" Derm said suddenly, changing the subject, "What are you going to do?"

"I am simply going to ask him what he saw and what exactly happened. I am not going to hurt him."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Konith almost jumped when the door to his little 'cell' slammed opened. Stronghammer came in, a frown set firm on his face. Zan saluted the Mayor, who tilted his head back. Stronghammer said something to Zan, and the Guard saluted again and left the room, closing the rock door behind him.

"Now," Stronghammer began at once, "I want you to run through exactly all the events leading to your 'unconsciousness'"

Konith cleared his throat,

"I was just guarding the storeroom when someone hit me from behind."

"And you didn't see them at all?"

"No! They were behind me, I didn't even notice them."

"Well would you care to explain how someone managed to sneak behind you when the only way for them to have done that would be to have come out of the storeroom itself, considering you had the door right at your back?"

"I-I don't know."

"You are either incompetent or lying. Which is it!?"

"I-I-I left my post for a few seconds to stretch my legs. They must have got behind then."

"So you deserted your post?"

"Just for a few seconds!"

Stronghammer's frown set itself even deeper. Konith guessed this was his opportunity, he slipped the opal out of its hiding place.

"Look, Stronghammer, sir. I'm really sorry. I don't know anything, and I really just want to go, please?" he held the opal out in his palm. Stronghammer's eyes narrowed,

"Are you trying to bribe me, Konith?" he asked, his voice low.

"No, I just want to go." the Kobold said, injecting a pleading tone into his voice. He knew he had to deny all the allegations while making it clear he didn't want any trouble. Stronghammer frowned even deeper. His eyes went down to the perfectly cut opal in Konith's palm. When the Kobold saw that he could have grinned but restrained himself, he had tempted Stronghammer, now he needed to convince him.

"I didn't do anything, Mr. Fireforge, sir. I messed up and left my post for a bit and they got behind me. I was stupid, but I'd never steal anything."

"And you saw nothing at all?" Stronghammer asked again, his tone much less harsh this time.

"Nothing, one moment I was stretching my legs, the next I woke up on the floor."

"All right, you can go, but," the Mayor's tone became firmer, "I am discharging you from the Iron Guard. You failed in your duty, and now we have to clear up the mess."

"I...understand. Thank you." the Kobold dropped the opal into the Dwarf's hand. Stronghammer seemed about to protest, but Konith cut him off, "I don't need it. I brought it with me when I came here to Nomekast," he lied, "you might as well have it." Even if Stronghammer was willing to let the Kobold go without further problems, it never hurt to put yourself in a Mayor's good graces. Stronghammer nodded and watched the Kobold leave. He looked at the opal in his palm, and pocketed it. Going out, he turned to Zan,

"Zan, I want you to keep an eye on Konith. Meinhard's Jagers are already on the lookout in various places, but I don't want anyone to miss a possible clue to this entire crime."

18th Slate 678 - Noon

As the Iron Guard and militia finally finished their questioning of the population, news of a large swarm of flying Nothing reached from Fori who had been tending her crops in the compound. Without delay both the compound and the lighthouse were sealed off. Though plans for defended towers to be built at the compound and accessed from the underground had been put forward by Fori, these were now put on hold as long as the horde swarmed the airs. The flying Nothing were a foe they couldn't face, not yet.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Fori sat silently in her office, drawing on large sheafs of pig-tail paper. The place had once been Torvold's, then the Dwarven scientist had gotten a larger lab down by on the Fiery Cistern, now occupied by Ugo Sosleng. She still used the place as a calm place where she could design the various defences and ideas that came to her in peace.

The sound of a violin could vaguely be heard over by the dining area, softly playing out an Elven tune she thought she recognised as 'The Collosi of Casenaalu'. No doubt it was Jessica von Sachsen, the Human who seemed obsessed with music. As noon arrived she gathered up her plans and left.

And came face-to-face with Eldrich Stormsap.

The Bogeyman wore armour now, as a 'militia volunteer' he was entitled to a full suit of armour, as Stronghammer had decreed. He still covered most his face, but the tell-tale burns that Bogeymen had was still visible.

"Fori." he said, his voice low.

"Eldrich." she replied. Over 500 years of hatred between their two races stood between them.

"I have been meaning to speak to you for some time." the Bogeyman said. Fori gave a small smile,

"And I you, I suppose we've just sorta missed a chance to talk to the other each time. With everything that's happened - and happening in Nomekast, it's hardly a surprise." shifting the papers to one arm, she took out the blade he had left for her by her hospital bed when she'd been hospitalised, "Why-why did you leave this besides me?" she asked, her voice soft.

"Perhaps I did it to see how you'd react?"

The old saying 'talk to a Bogeyman, prepare for riddles' came into Fori's mind.

"I imagine you are the one who left the strawberries on my bed?" the Bogeyman continued.

"When someone gives you a gift, you return the gesture."

"They were...nice...thank you."

A roll of plans fell to the floor, Fori made to pick it up, and in turn caused the blade to fall to the floor. It sat there for a fraction of a second, then jumped up as though operated by an invisible person. The two looked at it surprised, shocked even, as it scrawled a message into the dirt.

[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: January 23, 2012, 07:50:30 pm »

Derm sighed.  Stronghammmer had long since left, but his headache still persisted. "'s like he doesn't even know his people at all." Hah! He could write a whole book on crowd psychology if it came down to it.

He blinked as the world fell away again. Quickly grabbing the glowing form of his axe, he turned to face the intruder.

I AM! shouted the extremely fat shelled bird.

"No! Fuck you, I just had an argument with the most stubborn dwarf in existence, I'm late to dinner with Fori, and I have a ravening headache!" Derm shouted right back. "I do not have TIME for your NIHILISTIC BULLSHIT!"

Charging the incorporeal mind fragment, Derm gave a cry of rage as he brought the axe down on the surprised beasts wing. It's fluids sizzled as it sprayed onto Derms exposed face. "Augh!"

So it is true, you have found the secrets of the mind duel. Hahaha, The beast warbled, How do you expect to kill something that kills you with it's own blood!? Giving a cry, it quickly charged forward, spraying blood out of it's wing.

A fierce battle ensued, during which Derm got sick of writing this post and devolved into shitty meta humor. Opeya was not amused.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: January 23, 2012, 08:34:31 pm »

Stronghammer had just finished questioning the kobold, when shouts of alarm ran through the fort. A forgotten beast. Stronghammer raced to the barracks and the forge areas, rousing every abled bodied soldier in the fort to respond to the attack. Then he went and waited in his office, knowing that it was best to stay out of the way when enemies were about and the military had a job to do. While in his office, he quickly stored the opal in his desk. He didnt want to think about the implications of the gift right now, and would leave that till later.

RogueArchivist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: January 23, 2012, 08:57:58 pm »

Laboratory Log
Ugo Sosleng

All experiments on hold. I just got news of a forgotten beast intrusion. I must observe the upcoming confrontation. And I most definitely need to collect samples from the fallen beast/s. This is a rare opportunity for me.

As I have not yet modified a crossbow with mechanisms yet, I shall stay well back.

Sneaky Walrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Clever Walrus....
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: January 24, 2012, 12:32:17 am »

Mind of Juggernaut
-------
THIEVES! COWARDS! WEAKLINGS! An attack on the forge, how dare they! these bastards do this as enemies are at our gates. Where is Mienhard and his Jaggers, I need to talk with them immediately. If these cowards want to threaten our strength they will have me to go through.
-------
So...
A great force threatens our fort from the outside.
Great numbers of Nothing flood the valley, watching for any movement, while their aerial brothers fly high above them, waiting for their chance to strike.
We must be ready for their inevitable attack.
-------
So a great beast from ages past has risen from the depths to attack our home once more. As we are assaulted from without and within, we must hold strong.
Blades must be sharpened, axes honed and shields reinforced for these coming battles
If this be the moment were we fall, let us fall with blood on our blades and their corpses piled around us!
Let this be the time that those who live remember our strength and fear our memory!
Let all who see this place, be it reduced to ruin our stands high with glory, know that this is where we, the people of this land stood, with the gods at our backs and oblivion before us, and fought!
Let them fear us, despise us but they will always remember us, in their darkest dreams and beneath what ever foul lord holds sway over them!
Remember the blood that the People of NOMEKAST took from them and the glory of our deaths!
GLORY TO THE GODS
BLOOD FOR LORD ARMOK

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 09:06:49 pm by Sneaky Walrus »
Fire washes the sin off the soul and the skin off the bone. That and I can't be bothered making soap...

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: January 24, 2012, 01:43:02 am »

"Beware it's deadly blood"=Oh great, more casualties. Considering I'm the militia commander, I'm likely going to die.

Well, it's been nice knowing everyone. Hopefully death will either be swift or not at all.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

helf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: January 24, 2012, 01:44:11 am »

Goodness, I forgot about this thread. I have a lot to catch up on o_O

Hurray, my dwarf is still alive! :D
YOUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, I got out of the map boundry!
OUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, a horrid monstrosity just migrated to my fortress! Let's recruit it!

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: January 24, 2012, 04:14:43 am »

Meinhard sat in the back corner of the dinning area, he was writing notes on pigtail paper. Mostly them were request form for better armor and weapons for his Boyz. There was also report on why one of his gauntlets had partly melted and seared his hand. Two figures approached him from the shadows.

"Gut dahy Boyz. Vut iz goink hon?"

"We didn' get de stuuf boss."

"Vut!?"

"Deh' moved it beinfor we got dere boss."

Meinhard smiled at this. "Soh, Deze thieves iz shmarter deh ve nwh. Dat iz gut."

"How is dat gu.. good boss?"

"Eet meinz ve haf a chalonge. Hy knoh hyu can getz dem Boyz."

"Another thing boss" "Vut" "Dat guy Juggernaut, he wants to talk to ya."

"Vell, tel heem I iz Here."

"One more thing boss." "Dis haff Beeter be.." "It's another beast boss."

"SHRECK! Vut dis time!? A fire breathink Moonkey!? Neffer mine, geet yuher gear! Eef hyu vant to take Da druaght vow vood Vee a gut Time. ANN eef hyu voo, voo eet infont of da mad gobvin."

Meinhard went to get fully suited up. He would take this beasts heart, just like the others.
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: January 24, 2012, 06:53:59 am »

I hate the forge guard punishment, even the hardiest dwarfs seem to avoid it and show some sympathy for me.
The heat have made even dwarves pass out, like hell i will but i have an craving for beer right now, cool heavenly beer....
i am currently cursing stronghammer and- (shouted by alarm) HURRY, GET YOUR GEAR TOGETHER AND HEAD FOR THE CAVES,
LONE ONE COMING`´

``Lone one, human name for Titan also useable for forgotten ones
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 07:07:35 am by Ahra »
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: January 24, 2012, 07:46:30 am »

Konith's Log
Things seem to be going well. I'm "free" again, though someone has been following me. I got discharged from the Iron Guard, and lucky I did. Two Forgotten Beasts, as the dwarves call them, and quite a lot of flying Nothing outside. I should be very careful and stay far away from those beasts, whose blood is apparently poisonous. Meanwhile, I'll go and try to learn some metalsmithing or mechanics for an idea I just had.
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

lockman766

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail Random
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: January 29, 2012, 04:01:14 am »

John's Journal

The fortress is in a uproar. Something about about a forgotten beast. Maybe I could join in the defense. I'ed need some armor though. I already have my blades. What's the worst that could happen it's not like I have much more to live for anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 76