Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 180266 times)

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - Hiding from Nothing
« Reply #750 on: January 07, 2012, 07:03:03 am »

This is just plain awesome. Can I take a dwarf?
Name: 'Kingfisher'
Bio: Cynical veteran doctor, he has seen many dwarves die due to nobles. He has a love for the caverns and forges. He also does some armoursmithing on the side to protect the milita.
Journal:
???, Grasslands, Night.
I'm cold, Hungry and lonely. Nothings have been on my trail all day. I'm in a tree. I never thought something elves love would save me. If anyone finds this, my name is Kingfisher. I stand stout even as I die. Goodbye.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: January 07, 2012, 05:08:04 pm »

Ok, I haven't got a recap done yet, but I have made a timeline covering (hopefully) all major events in sequence. I felt it was too long to put it on the first post, so it's hosted here. The link is also on the first post. If I've missed anything on that timeline please tell me.

kingfisher1112 - Sure thing! As with the others, you'll have to wait for a surviving migrant.

1st Granite 678 - Morning

There were precious few people of any race up and walking let alone working by the time morning came on the start of Nomekast's fifth year. The New Year's party had dragged on deep through the night and into the early morning, and it was only once dawn (unseen down in the cave naturally) came that most people went to sleep.

Meinhard wasn't so soft on his Jagers to allow that.

"Hyu refuze to zleep at night, hyu deal vith it ven morning comes!" he told them in his particular Northern accent. At least, the two Dwarven Jagers - Sodel Sikeliton and Reg Medtobiger, nicknamed 'Owl' after his large and high eyebrows - imagined that the accent was Northern Human, it was quite possibly also simply another effect of the Jagerdrawt that had made Meinhard the mutated Human he now was. They didn't complain though, Meinhard had high expectations of those who wished to become Jagers, and wouldn't accept any excuses.

"Right, now hyu get hyu pickz, de otherz are vaiting!"

Sodel and Owl exchanged glances, they knew that Meinhard had recently made them put posters up recruiting for the Jagers but they hadn't really expected anyone to want to join.

As it was, two Humans and another Dwarf waited for them by what was colloquially known as the 'East Gate', the drawbridge down by the farms. Stacks of spears and mechanisms stood besides them. Meinhard wasted no time at all, pointing at the cavern rock-face,

"Now, we'z building a training room! Vun seven by seven unitz den we'z can zee if hyu all good to be varriors und Jagers!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He grinned toothily, "Hyu getz to vork und introduce hyu all to eachofer! I gotz a sick man to cure!" And with that he left the Jagers to their mining and left in direction of the hospital.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Volrath Blacksteel felt like he was withering away. Trapped as he was in quarantine in the hospital under Reg's care he was unable to practice his swordsmanship, and barely even able to sleep properly, nightmares haunted him at ever turn. So had he been for several months now. Meinhard had offered him a cure, the Jagerdrawt. But he had also made it clear it could kill him, and Volrath didn't trust something that had a chance to either cure him or kill him stone dead.

Instead he had asked Meinhard to bring him several items with which he could perform an ancient ceremony of the Blacksteel tribe and call upon his deceased tribe elders.

When Meinhard arrived, the first thing the mutant Human noticed about the barbarian was just how dishevelled he looked. He grinned toothily,

"Hyu lookink a bit peaky!" he laughed. Volrath rubbed his eyes, trying to dispel some of the constant tiredness he had nowadays,

"Have you got everything?" he asked. Meinhard dropped a sack onto Volrath's hospital bed,

"Right heer!"

Volrath rifled through everything, checking to make sure that everything he needed was there, satisfied, he emptied the bag and began to set up for the ceremony.

"Whatever you do Meinhard, don't interfere, the slightest outside influence can kill the one doing this."

"Hoo boy, hyu better vatch out for flies den!" Meinhard laughed. Still, he went over to the door, leaning against the wall.

Once Volrath had arranged everything into a rough circular shape he sat in the centre, crossed-legged. He had never done this, not when so weak. He wasn't even sure it'd work. Taking abreath, he began to chant, calling upon his tribe elders, the blacksteel who had gone before him.

For several minutes nothing happened and Volrath was left chanting to nothing, then a gust of wind blew through the enclosed room, flowing around Volrath. He felt his thoughts melting into infinity and a cacophony of voices,

What is he do-

Tell Sarah that I-

You bastar-

He knew them for what they were, the final words of his elders before they passed on. Then the voices melted away and he felt like he was floating in a void. Then that feeling dissipated and he felt everywhere and nowhere.

What you're doing is technically necromancy. came a voice unbidden. It felt both as though it came from around him, and from inside him. He knew who it was, or at least, what it was. A Blacksteel elder.

'It's not necromancy!' He thought back. 'I'm not raising the dead!'

'It still technically uses the Sixth Mystery.' came the elder again. Volrath had no idea what the Sixth Mystery was, he could only guess it was another word for necromancy.

'Oh be quiet Galran. He didn't come to hear your snide insinuations.' came another voice.

'Of course he didn't. He's ill.'

'Elders! I need your help! I need-' Volrath began. The snide voice - Galran - cut him off,

'Help yourself.' he said tartly. A third voice joined the chorus,

'What Galran means is that we can't help you, you must expel the infection yourself.'

Infection!? Then it was as bad as Volrath had feared.

'This is your mind, youngling. Just search, you'll find the infection.'

'This is going to kill him, you know.'

'Oh shut up Galran. Youngling, you must listen carefully, we've all entered the though-time as you now have. We know how it feels, but you must force yourself to see without trying. At the moment you no doubt feel like you're falling or floating yes? But you must force yourself to land, imagine a ground, land!'

Volrath had no idea what he was expected to do. He tried to imagine ground beneath him, but could land no more than he could float away when standing just by imagining he was floating.

'Just imagine how much it hurts when you land. You look clumsy enough to know how it must feel.' came Galran's voice, before being hushed by the others. At a loss, Volrath decided to try anyway, trrying to cast his mind back to all the times he had fallen, whether thrown backwards by blows in fights, or fallen off of things.

And like that, he felt a sharp pain all around him.

'You've landed!' came his guide's voice. Volrath didn't understand, he felt more grounded, certainly, but he could still see no land, indeed, he wasn't even sure if he could see at all. He felt disjointed, splintered, spread out like mist across endless expanse.

Now, you need to feel for the infection. Hurry! You've delayed long enough for it to be deep, dangerous. Cast your mind around, as if you were trying to think back on a memory, only instead feel for the infection, vile, dangerous, hostile. You have to- wait..what's-'

A voice, or rather, an endless chorus of voices came from all around, deep and terrible.

FOUND YOU

Pain exploded across all of Volrath's being and he felt as though his very consciousness had been ripped apart.

---

Meinhard sat and watched as Volrath sat motionless in his circle. Then suddenly, eyes still firmly shut, the Human drew a raking breath and coughed up blood. Meinhard jumped up, but remembering Volrath's warning stayed back. Volrath coughed more blood and fell forward, breaking the circle. An explosion of air erupted from it with such force that several things were thrown across the room. Now ignoring Volrath's previous instruction, Meinhard jumped forwards to the Human's side, but far too late.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

In the training area Ocade suddenly dropped his sword, clutching at his chest. The Elf drew a shaky gasp and coughed up blood, collapsing before any of his fellow fighters could get to him.

In the Temple Warrior-Priests' barracks Kadzar watched in horror as his two fellow warrior-priests fell to the ground, hacking up blood.

"It was a delayed and renewed reaction to Streti's poison." Reg explained, wiping his hands clean. The Chief Medical Dwarf had a deep frown on his face, as he ever did. He was the one who had okayed their leave from hospital, and he could only blame himself. "The poison caused deep intense wounds. Even now, the poison is burning its way to the surface. As to Volrath, unsure, but he had the same symptoms."

Around him clustered several people, Kadzar, Ibruk, Derm, Stronghammer, Meinhard and Doc. Steve.

"Dead from inside-out." Kadzar said, a heavy-set frown also sitting on his face, "Atir Purplemines help us."

"What of the others that suffered from Streti's poison?" Derm asked, thinking of Fori worriedly. Doc. Steve answered the question,

"It depends really. Ocade, Zasit and Nish clearly got a larger dose of the poison. If the others got a smaller dose they could be fine, or anything, it really depends and we can't predict it."

"How do you explain how all four died at the same time, and that Volrath had the same symptoms but never faced Streti?" Stronghammer asked, his mind focused on the events rather than the people.

How am I supposed to know? Reg almost answered, but stopped himself. He had good respect for Stronghammer, and the two were both founding members of the Alliance for Dwarven Survival.

"I don't know." he settled for instead, "Volrath was most probably infected by the Nothing, and Streti led the Nothing, so there could be some link between the two infections. Apart from that I really don't know. At all."

"Well thank you for your time and work Reg, and you too Steve. I guess at the moment we can only wait and pray." Derm said glumly.

"Prayer is all we have." Ibruk said quietly.

Outside Nomekast, an army amassed.

[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: January 07, 2012, 05:50:34 pm »

uum... are we going to clear those out?, cant be good for the fps.
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Sneaky Walrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Clever Walrus....
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: January 07, 2012, 06:24:39 pm »

-mind of Juggernaut-
----------------------
So StrongHammer has won the election, excellent news for the fort, however I fear who he has chosen as his advisers. Fori is a good choice however this may cause dissident among other Elves while Brosso is an idiot who doesn't understand the seriousness of this situation. I do believe I should publicly ask StrongHammer to create a ruling council for each of the races or, at the least, have a recognized associate who sets forth each races problems. Hopefully this will gain public support and StrongHammer will approve. Knowing him, as long as it increases unity within the Fort, he will support it. 
---------------------
So Mienhard and his "Jagers" have begun recruiting new members....I do wish to train with him, as he appears to be an extremely capable warrior, however I fear what effect the mutation may have. I will resist it til I know the full extent of the changes. Hmmmmm.... I wonder... We have seen the effects of the Nothing on Goblins, changing and warping them, however I wonder if the Jagers mutations would be able to counter this. I must inform Ugo of this and see if he can shed any light on this idea.
--------------------
 ARMOK DAMMIT! That forgotten beast has robbed are fort of many a fair warrior, even those "warrior-priests". Is this a sign from Armok? Is it a call to battle or a sign of his displeasure with the fort. Ah I am no priest and I doubt I will ever truly understand his whims beyond his calls for the death of these Nothings. Still with the death of so many, we must increase the strength of the fort and gather more warriors to the army, be they man, elf or dwarf.
--------------------
So the Nothing gather outside
waiting
watching
Damn them
If only we had some form of outer defense, like a tower or Bastion, from which we could fire weapons from.
Maybe we could build upon the current watch tower or replace the windows with fortifications.
I will have to ask Ugo what the effect of crossbow blots have on these Nothings
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 08:30:47 pm by Sneaky Walrus »
Fire washes the sin off the soul and the skin off the bone. That and I can't be bothered making soap...

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: January 07, 2012, 06:28:32 pm »

OH GOD SO MANY!!!! thats alot of nothing sitting outside, maybe we can shoot arrows at them or just plain ingnore them? anyways to my journal entry.

Stronghammer Journal

It was quite disconcerting when i was summoned to the hospital and was informed of the simultanteous deaths of some of our citizens. It would seem that the forgotten beast continued to strike back against the fort even after death. I will instruck Fori to be sent to the hospital and given a full check up as well as kept under observation until we can be sure as to her safety. I will also look into drawing up some plans of defence and structures that may be built to help protect the lower entrances of Nomekast. Maybe some layered walls and trenchs with traps or siege batteries, i will discuss this with most likely Derm as he is head of defence. I will also attempt to conduct a meeting with the alliance to hear what they have to say, as well as suggestions for my governance, as well as maybe defence plans. Well back to work, so much to do.

edit: Never realised and or forgot i made an artifact. Could it be placed in the industry center to set and example to all other workers of the beauty their work could achieve.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 06:40:03 pm by Stronghammer »

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: January 07, 2012, 09:32:14 pm »

From the log of Fori

Well, the race is finally done. I came in a close second, but now, Stronghammer is the mayor of our fortress retreat. Though I might have doubts, I’m hopeful. One of his first acts was to ban the burning of wood or trees from the surface. Hopefully, that’ll help to mollify the elves. He wanted me to become an advisor for him as well. I had mixed opinions on that though. In the end, I decided I already had a good deal to work on amid the farms, helping Ugo with his experiments on the nothing, studying Torvolds old records, and planning further traps and defenses for the fortress. I did say, that if he wished my opinion, I’m always happy to talk and give advice.

But now days, there’s a large mass of defilers outside. And inside, everyone is doing what they can to prepare the Nomekast war machine for the coming storm. At all hours the night, hammers are ringing in the production of armor and weapons. I’ve drawn up some traps and other defenses, and I hope to implement them before the storm breaks. Not much else I can do while confined to this hospital for now. I only hope that I don’t succumb to the same curse that claimed Ocade, Volrath and the two warrior priests. But I’m feeling fine honestly, staying here won’t help any if I am struck down by the poison. When the storm does break, I’ll fight. My sword will be needed against that hoard of defilers.

I’ve got some other plans that I’ve been working on. I’ve got some diagrams and plans I want to run past the engineers, and consult with stronghammer and the other industrialists about the state of the glass furnaces. I need to know just how much crystal glass we can make. Since the defilers took to the sky, we had to retreat from the surface. But all it would take is another wall. It might not be possible, but I want to see if we can erect a glass roof over the portion of the surface surrounded by the walls. Such an engineering project should be within the capabilities of the dwarves.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: January 08, 2012, 05:10:52 am »

Next surviving immigrant? Not likely.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: January 08, 2012, 05:20:09 am »

Good lord, where's a minigun or a nuke when you need one? There must be at least 100 of them.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: January 08, 2012, 08:04:46 am »

"By all the Gods!" Brosso shouted once he made sure he was alone in his room.
"What is he thinking!? Stronghammer has betrayed our own, *whiff*, race! *cough*"

Extract from: Brossos Magnificent Input On Our Dire Situation

Preposterous times these are really, first an ELF will be an advisor in a DWARVEN Fortress and now Dwarves are falling dead because of some underground beastie which spat on them a little? I'll have to discuss it with good Dwarf Reg, he knows a lot about ailments and cures. Maybe we'll be able to use it to help us cleanse this place a little bit.

Stronghammer is a traitor to our race but I still value our friendship too much to take any kind of action against him. We'll have to organize a special meeting of our righteous Alliance, perhaps with some less-reliable and uncommitted members absent, in order to craft a plan to get rid of all the taint both within our homes (Goblins, kobolds, humies, beasties and Gods know what else!).
-----------------------------------------------
"Seems like ol' Brosso will have to get to work eh? Maybe good Stronghammer is a gem admirer?" he mumbled under his nose after checking twice if he locked his door, heading down to where he thought pickaxes should be.

TheOddDemon

• Bay Watcher
  • Burn Baby Burn
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 08, 2012, 10:20:02 am »

Eldrich thought about the massed Nothing.

He thought about the attack on his home. He thought about the screams of the dying, the flying Nothing cutting people down left and right.

"Not again. I won't let it happen again.". He got up from his seat in the dining hall, and went to go find an armorsmith.
I eat dead people.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: January 08, 2012, 12:51:44 pm »

Derm sat up in the lighthouse, forlornly staring at the hordes of Nothing that had gathered at their doorsteps.

Hopeless odds for a hopeless cause, fitting, isn't it? a nonexistant, massive voice said, cackling maniacally. Derm ignored it, his mind a flurry of plans and ideas. His eyes flickered to and forth, from the hordes to the gate.

Why don't you just give in? The sleep is peaceful, and nothing hurts. Everything would be okay and nothing would hurt.

"We need a weapon." he said to himself. "A large weapon, capable of hitting them all."

How can you resist? Fighting when all is lost is a pointless venture.

Steadfastly ignoring the voice of a hundred nothing, he returned to the fortress proper. What best way to fight a siege, but with siege weapons? He needed to place orders, siege workshop, wooden spears, steel tips...

You will fail.

He had his work cut out for him.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 09, 2012, 10:35:46 am »

A cave in maybe? Like 70 Z-levels?

BranRhi

• Bay Watcher
  • In my other pants, theres a secret~
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 09, 2012, 10:24:53 pm »

The time he had waited for and feared had arrived. The Dark Ones had finished devouring the majority of the world and now focused fully on the bastion of Nomekast. The dwarves and elves preparing their bows and crossbows paid little attention to the old man silently collecting bolts for his crossbows. Every now and then he put a hand to his neck to touch a small iron medallion in the shape of a lightning bolt, the symbol of Os the god of lightning, his patron. He knew that the same Nothing that had taken his voice had come to claim the rest of him, could feel it in the way his scars burned. BranRhi could only hope Os would be with him one last time, to guide his bolts into as many of the demons as possible before the end.
I have a DREAM! where kobolds will be able to join hands with dwarf men and women as partners and lovers. And man, do I love imagining this dream again and again...

Kurotabo

• Bay Watcher
  • Here comes the elephant... Throw the snakes at it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: January 10, 2012, 05:26:41 pm »

From the journal of Kuro
So. It's finally happened. They have come to finish off the last of my people, the survivors of Nomekast. I knew this would eventually happen, yet I had prayed to whatever gods and goddesses had chosen to protect us. Heathen thoughts have preyed upon my sleep deprived psyche, thoughts of Dustik Bulbearths and Iklist Tunnelveil averting their eyes to the plight of those around him. If I die, what will death be like? The elves of Godsaved speak of it as a sort of sanctuary, a place where all my worries will be put to rest in an endless forest, the dwarves speak of a mountain of endless ore veins and gem hordes. The goblins have nothing. Where will I go if I die? Where will I go when I die? I feel my hand beginning to tremble, yet I can not stop writing. My words pour out of me in an endless stream. Will I see Thaco again? The rest of my tribe? Or will I go to a land of eternal suffering where my screaming will echo for all eternity? Need to stop writing. Must train my fighting skills to perfection. I will protect my home. I must.
"That which has been seen, can never be unseen. Fetch me my mind soap."

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: January 15, 2012, 12:46:26 pm »

Ahra - They're not, they're really, really terrible for fps, I'm thinking of beefing them up so there can be less of them while still being as deadly.

kingfisher1112 - Actually, depending on where they enter immigrants can have a zero-to-good chance of surviving. The nothing are currently only as fast as a Dwarf, so if the migrants enter on the left of the map where the horde is, they're mostly screwed unless they get around the nothing, if they enter on the right they should be able to get to the fort before the nothing.

Tarran - I did a count, there's 24 pages of them, and 19 per page, thus there's 456. Five and a half times more than the entire fort. 6.7 times more if you remove children and 18 and a half times more if you only count those in the military. A manageable amount in other words. :P

Granite 678

The huge masses of Nothing on the valley sides sparked alarm throughout Nomekast, and only abated once everyone was assured that the Nothing could not break through the defences, and that steps were being taken under the auspices of Fori, Ugo, the mechanic Urist, and the architect Shin to bolster the defences further. Furthermore Stronghammer and Derm had taken to calling together at least once a week a 'council' of Tarran - ostensibly the militia commander since Rion's death - Rovod - commander of the marksdwarves - Fori, Ugo, Urist, Reg and Bounce to discuss proposed ways to deal with the massive Nothing horde on their doorstep. Several ideas had been bantered around, including massed siege weapons, cave-ins, and a proposal from Fori to build a glass dome above the compound. Meanwhile the militia trained relentlessly, some such as Juggernaut, Kuro, Rashem, Eldrich, Loral and Katana trained relentlessly, day and night, honing their skills. Meinhard and his Jagers in the meanwhile, continued work on the training room, now beginning to link up all the spears together while in the forges forging of armour, weapons and bolts didn't stop, but instead had progressed to such a point that they were beginning to run out of metal and soon would have to prospect and mine for more.

Meanwhile the next steps of Stronghammer's Mayoral plan were being undertaken; religious sites for all the races in the community. The Dwarven site was already built; Ibruk's temple built four years ago, while the idea of an Elven site (Elves themselves had no real temples except for those in the Holy Empire of the Ferns of Strategy, which were considered by most Elves to have taken isolationism and theocracy a little too far. Most Elven temples were sacred groves in forests, the largest and most important could boast standing stones and an altar, but that was the extent) had served as fuel to the already raging Elven schism. The anti-Fori side led by Imiwa had loudly decried any Dwarf building an Elven holy site, and insisted they would not use such a 'blasphemous pit of iniquity'. The Humans and Goblins had been much more agreeable. Most Goblins were not especially religious, and most Humans felt that it didn't matter who built the temple, as long as it was built. Stronghammer put Shin in charge of building each site, and the architect - always one for doing her work immaculately - worked carefully with members of each race to ensure the shrine was fine.

By the end of Granite, the Elven shrine had been completed and work on the Human temple had started.

5th Slate 678 - Morning

They had come a long way, twenty of them from all the corners of Omon Rabin. Most of them were Humans and Dwarves, with only one Elf and two Kobolds, but there was no complaints about race. There couldn't be when you had to fight and flee daily to survive. All of them had heard of Nomekast, one of the few communities that still managed to survive without having to have a veritable army of soldiers and volunteers posted at every second of the day, and the only one that accepted all races.

They had come a long way, and luck was not with them.

The moment the horde sprung into view the entire group exploded into complete chaos and anarchy. Some simply ran back the way they'd come, some stood paralysed with fear, others - more rational - tried to get past the Nothing by running towards the river and cutting past the horde. The Nothing soon blocked that escaped root and many found themselves trapped between the river and the horde.

The lookouts in Nomekast had seen them and opened the drawbridge into the compound, but by that time only four refugees survived, a Dwarven doctor by the name of Kingfisher, two Human swordsmen by the names of Xenir and John Lock, and a Goblin, and two of them with wounds that needed immediate checking. Meanwhile the marksdwarves Rovod, Rar and Doc. Steve along with the crossbowmen Reno Monty and BranRhi chased the Nothing back, firing bolt after bolt from the compound walls into any Nothing that dared to stray nearby.

In light of this new massacre Stronghammer charged Tarran and Rovod to set up a military schedule to ensure the community was protected at all times and it was agreed that the marksdwarves would patrol the compound walls in a schedule so they could lend their bolts to help at any point without putting themselves in danger, and if the flying Nothing - who seemed to have currently vanished - returned, they could easily seal off the compound again until the beasts left again.

7th Slate 678

Ibruk, Kadzar and their fellow devout Dwarves along with Hammer of the Gods had worked hard, carving a passage to the chosen place for the cathedral and building a bridge across the gap between the location and the rest of the community.

There were only about fifteen of them, including Ibruk, Kadzar and Hammer of the Gods, but what the lacked in numbers and mining skills, they made up for in their zealousness and passion for their work. After all, this was a cathedral to the Gods, it had to be perfect, grand, opulent, a place to protect them all from the ever-approaching cleansing of the world.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Slate 678 - Afternoon

Brosso seethed. He had been seething for quite some time now, and fancied himself quite good at it. With a glare and a puff of his cigar he marched past some metalcrafters taking lead bars to the storeroom. He stalked past the Iron Guard on guard in front of the entrance to the forges - noting with particular annoyance the markskobold Konith in his new Iron Guard armour, chatting amicably to his fellow Guard. He had little use for Kobolds, small thieves that they were, he suspected Konith would probably elope with that armour and melt it to sell it for scrap. Ah, the sacrifices one had to make to protect the Dwarven way of life! Work on his circus/arena/opera hall/Alliance HQ continued and enough Dwarves now supported the Alliance (and thus Brosso as far as the circus director was concerned) that they were willing to help, eliminating any need for him to continue mining himself. As it was, he hadn't stopped mining, only changed what he was mining. Several choice topazes and kunzites now lay in the secure drawers of his desk, and once cut he was sure to be able to use them to buy himself some leverage among several Dwarves - and one Dwarf in particular.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Konith had been part of the Iron Guard for some time now. It was not - to any account - particularly enjoyable. The rest of the Iron Guard either wanted nothing to do with him (Konith nicknamed them Brossites, their attitude to him being closer to Brosso's than anyone else's) and those that were fine with him were patronizing, as if a Kobold was some kind of inferior creature with a child's mind. Only Ahra - the sole Human in the Guard - treated him with a sort of equal respect. He was happy he was only in Guard in order to infiltrate the storeroom defences and help the Thieves' Guild 'acquire' several priceless metal bars. Though he was well aware that he would still be stuck in the Guard for a few months after the heist, lest he be suspected. With luck, Brosso might pressure Stronghammer enough to have him thrown out of the Guard after the heist, even without evidence. Lost in his thoughts, he didn't notice Zan Tiristgeb arrive until the Dwarf was right in front of him. Zan was commander of the Iron Guard, after Stronghammer, and he had no love for either the Kobold or Ahra, the Human.

"Guard Konith. You're guarding the storerooms next week. Don't screw up." Zan said curtly. The Kobold could tell Zan had argued against putting him in as storeroom guard, but Stronghammer must have insisted on following the rota. It didn't hurt that Konith had earned much trust from Stronghammer after spying on Imiwa and her rebellious Elves to ensure the forges were safe. Being small and having spent much of your life skulking in caves certainly helped in infiltrations and staying unseen. Konith saluted and Zan answered back with his own salute, before continuing on his way into the forges. Inwardly, Konith grinned, next week then, was the Grand Heist that had been months in the making then it'd be only a month or two before he'd leave the Guard.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 07:34:55 pm by Aequor »
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 76