Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 176994 times)

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - Hiding from Nothing
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2010, 02:32:41 pm »

"Please remember, the defilers have no need to draw breath. They cannot be drowned,” Fori added quietly. All this discussion of mining and tunnels was new to her, it was an interesting exercise to think what a dwarf would do to solve a situation. Omitting, of course, the first step of getting drunk senseless, her liver was not yet strong enough for that. “Elves, when anticipating battle, have dug pitfall traps and hidden them with a thin layer of grown vines. I imagine that you dwarves, with your skill in machinery and mechanisms, could build something similar. Perhaps a floor that could be retracted, or something like that? A long drop would kill even defilers, if it were deep enough.” She said, hoping she had not just made a fool of herself.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 02:35:24 pm by Fortis »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2010, 02:47:46 pm »

"Spike traps." Tarran said abruptly. "Spike traps would be extremely effective in killing as a first line of traps. As the Nothings will be too wounded to get past the weapon traps they will face afterward."
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2010, 04:35:00 pm »

"You both have a good plan, I say we combine the two. If the fall doesn't kill them then the spikes at the bottom will."

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2010, 06:21:48 pm »

"Of course, there might be reasons to trap these beasts, perhaps we can find a weakness of some sort.  I vote we throw in some cage traps as well, if not for us then, for the future of dwarven kind!"
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2010, 07:52:41 pm »

Seems like we're all in favour for traps! And that might just be what we need if any of yous want to survive.

1st Granite 674

Much had happened since Autumn. The well was still not finished, but now it was at least possible for Fori to drink some water by stooping down into the watering hole.

The causeway into the caverns had finally be finished, and a large pillar had been hollowed out to serve as a refuge in the caverns, and as a last resort if the Nothing's ever broke into the fort, so that the Dwarves could hide inside and literally knock down the bridge, separating them from the monsters.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now that they had access to the caverns, Rion had been sent down to cut some cave-trees, which were swiftly made into beds for the new Dwarves and Elf. Furthermore, one log was burned into charcoal, and this used to refine the lignite and bituminous coal into coke for forging. Furthermore, Fori now spent much time in the caverns, feeling more at home with the plants and large open spaces, even if it was still underground and devoid of sunlight. There she harvested the plants ethically, singing Elven songs to herself. Shin sometimes joined her down there, also gathering plants. And the two so far had found dimple cups and plump helmets.

With the revelation that an entire caravan of traders had been slaughtered at their doorstep, the Dwarves had also decided that a tunnel had to be built to provide safe entrance into Nomekast. The tunnel would - of course - be lines with a whole host of cunning traps to safely slaughter any Nothings that might break through.

In tandem with this idea was the idea of a sort of 'lighthouse', a tower which would allow the Dwarves to see where the Nothing where, and if there were any peoples - or pilgrims as Ibruk consistently called them - that were escaping from the hordes. The preliminary chamber had been dug, and now they only needed the gems to make a tough gem window with; and so Doc. Steve was press-ganged into cutting the large lace agate that had been dug out into slabs for building the window.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Under Fori's supervision and Elfen touch, the harvest of plump helmets had been coming in larger and larger than before, and so a food stockpile was soon dug out, and just needed to be cleared of the last stones before it could store all the rations and booze.

But most importantly, they had survived a year. A whole year. Granted there were times when it seemed they would not survive - times when the Nothing threatened to swarm in and kill them; times when they had no food or drink; times when fear of the strange situation they found themselves in, which no Dwarves had found themselves in before, had almost driven them to mistakes. But they had weathered, like real Dwarves (and an Elf) they had faced the enemy down, whether it be Nothings or sobriety, they had stared them down, beaten them off and then drunk a barrel of booze to celebrate! The growing sense of optimism that pervaded the fort culminated in a grand party on New Year's Eve, that lasted well into the afternoon of the 1st Granite. Despite there only being twelve of them (even Ibruk had taken part in the party) they had cracked open barrels of fresh Dwarven beer and wine, gulped them down in one breath, and sung lewd songs till they forgot what time it was and thus had to open the drawbridge a crack to get the time. Even Fori, while she didn't possess the enlarged liver of a Dwarf, drunk some in the spirit of the New Year, and thoroughly regretted it the next day.

They were Dwarves (and an Elf) by ARMOK! And Nothing would keep them from enjoying the New Year's!

The layout of Nomekast as it was 1st Granite 674.

So yeah, nothing much has happened the past few months. We'll have to wait until the tunnel gets done.
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2010, 09:15:48 pm »

awesome!
now don't go making the defenses TOO good
leave some for the dogs, you know ;)
don't know what dialogue I can write for this entry, sorry
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

masam

• Bay Watcher
  • How lovely...Burn it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2010, 09:53:11 pm »

we'd need a gem or glass window so we can look out onto the field!
eh glass winder you say!  I'm the McCheesemaker for the job!

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2010, 11:13:15 pm »

From the log of Fori

Ugh…by the spirits, that is the last time I drink so much of the dwarves heady brew. My head is pounding, and my eyes so detest light that I’m thankful to wake up in the dark bedroom. I need some pure water or proper tea to dilute the alcohol running in my veins. Even now, I’m not sure if it’s…what did the dwarves name their months?...Granite 1st or 2nd. I don’t remember much of what happened after the fresh barrels of wine was opened. Though I have to say, those dwarves really know how to celebrate. Granted, they were quite wild and rowdy, and their songs made me blush something fierce, but they had fun. Even in these dark times, they can enjoy themselves. Something that I respect in them, joy is all too rare in this age. I only hope that I remembered my manners while I was drunk.

But we had cause to celebrate. Against all odds, against the defilers from without and starvation from within, we are surviving. I’m glad that I was able to help these stout dwarves, even now their picks are digging out more room to store the food that I helped grow. And I gathered more too. Even thoughit lacks stars, moon, and sun, the wide open caverns below help to relieve the cramped feeling, and the huge mushrooms remind me of the forest that I lost. (It’s ironic really, the dwarves are defending a forest of their own from the defilers, we are more alike than I originally thought.) But I gathered some more types of foods for us, little mushrooms the dwarves call dimple cups. I’ve found they make a very acceptable tea, once dried and powdered. The dwarves, naturally, don’t care for any beverage that doesn’t cloud their minds.

And the dwarves picks have been digging out a tunnel to protect any new migrants and refugees that come. I saw the work in progress once or twice, as I carried baskets of mushrooms and canteens of ale for the hard working miners. I even helped carry some of the mined out stone. It’s hard work, but I think it’s helping me to get stronger. The dwarves also taught me how to avoid the triggering mechanisms for the traps. I must confess to some decidedly un-elfish sentiments. I almost wish a defiler would get in here, so I can see how the dwarves’ deadly ingenuity and mechanical skill work on it.

Not much more to say, except that I’m looking forward to McCheesemaker completing the window. It will be nice to see the sun and sky again. That dwarf really is kind to me. I suspect he made the window just because I often mentioned I missed the sky.

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2010, 02:05:00 am »

I who placed the window though  8)
A gem one no less, fairly sure I did it wrong though so it's probably best someone has McCheesemaker have a looky at it when he gets a moment.

In other news, I'm concerned about the Elf, she's complaining of a "hangover" no idea what that means, possibly some sort of Elven only sickness like how beard flu only affects us?
She seems alright enough if not a tad sober so I'll just prescribe her some rum and see how she fares from there.
Holy crap it's new year already?!
When did that happen, last thing I remember Me Spartan and Doctor Reg where having a drink to celebrate not being dead at some point in Obsidian and now it's what, Granite?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 02:12:07 am by Mangled »

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2010, 05:26:16 am »

Spartan's log.

Date; something.

Maybe I should have stopped after the twentyeth barrel, apparently I drank so much my liver exploded like a fire imp in a booze stockpile!

It's okay now though.

Also, a drunk elf is a much less annoying one. Also a much less clothed one. Next time we may want to pick less...dwarvenly...songs to sing, to prevent a repeat performance. It was kind of embarrasing to have a topless female elf sleeping in one of our wine barrels.

At least it made it easier to carry her back to her room.

We're also a bit worried about her. She may be an elf but she's now a drinking buddy and that makes her one of us! Kind of. Where was I? Oh yeah, she keeps saying her head hurts, and she has something called a "hangover". She blames it on the wine, we may need to check what kind of plants it was made out of, don't want everyone sick from one party.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2010, 09:29:46 am »

Huh, nothing else interesting to report?

How has our weapon industry been going? We need extra weapons just in case the rest of the fort has to fight, as we don't stand a chance fighting with fists. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2010, 10:10:59 am »

I have a scalpel  ;D

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2010, 02:44:37 pm »

Tjh wrtins of riso-swrew itp..

I woken in mah roam with Tarrken' and SpartaKsss beds afters tha party last night. I appaerntly relovet to grand thept bedsss whken drunks. Ew, Tarren just walkend by carring that half-neked elvesht. Din't tink he wots into sat. Skeep nows...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

r3d5kull

• Bay Watcher
  • Hows this look for professional.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2010, 06:07:52 pm »

Hey just caught up. Looks good. Wonder if I could call a dwarf named Johann Schmidt, that is the elves lover. I wanna be a Hammer Dwarf that loves life and only wants to kill it absolutely necessary.

Sorry Forti

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2010, 07:14:21 pm »

Aequor is my dwarf friends with anyone yet?
Could be handy to know.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 76