Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 180272 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - Hiding from Nothing
« Reply #735 on: November 11, 2011, 08:58:14 pm »

Still not quite sure how I pulled it off here, as I can barely remember anyone ever.
Well, you're not the only one who can barely remember anyone. I only remember a few names at best, and I can only remember about .5% of what every member of the fortress has done so far.

It's likely due to the pace of this fortress, which is 2.6 pages per month/38 posts per month/1.2 posts per day, which is really slow in my opinion. It's just my opinion though.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: November 11, 2011, 09:01:13 pm »

The only one I can consistently remember and have at least somewhat true characterization for is Fori, really.

Which is kinda amusing in a way.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Sneaky Walrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Clever Walrus....
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: November 12, 2011, 12:27:56 am »

Mind of "Juggernaut"

-------------
Hmmmmmm I have been thinking on this election, especially the close race between Forli and StrongHammer.
StrongHammer makes a good case, wanting to increase the Industrial capacity of the fort but Forli also makes fair points about retaking the world above or at least reminding us of what we stand for.....

I do believe that it is time to act. I shall speak with both Forli and StrongHammer and arrange a meeting between the three of us. Hopefully I can convince them to work together and act in unison for the fort, considering their similar polices. I believe that if I can convince them to both support the council of six, containing a Representative of each species within the fort, then we could come to a simpler solution to this election, with each race electing an official and the council ruling together to make a decision on major policies.
-------------
Imiwa......Imiwa Imiwa Imiwa......what shall I do with you?
This one elf is the leading force behind the conservative movement within the fort and is causing major tension among the various races, relying on slander to try and stop Forli's actions.
He is also encouraging violence, encouraging the Elves to attack other races. If they continue I will deal to them.
However it is good to see that Eldrich can hold his own, I may have to ask him how he dealt to those elves...
------------
All these thoughts and ideas about the elections are making me feel soft.
I believe that I need a proper spar against someone, maybe Derm?
Defiantly Derm.
I have to thank him for making me laugh. The way he shut down Brosso was priceless, especially they way his face went bright purple.
Fire washes the sin off the soul and the skin off the bone. That and I can't be bothered making soap...

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: November 13, 2011, 07:47:40 am »

Brosso sat down in his chair, thinking hard about this whole bussines with Derm, who not only dared to insult him, no, he even dared to make him fortress laughing stock! Another thing which gave him no peace was the election, or more likely the matter of Fori, the one he seemed to eye quite a bit, and who seemed to prefer the commoner Derm to a well bred Dwarven Noble.

He started to write a short note to Stronghammer (whom he considered his best friend, or perhaps even the only friend he had left), but something was just off about it. Crumbling up the paper, he started again. Short note to Stronghammer, yet so full of meaning:

"If election goes wrong, we have to take action." he wrote and put the note in his pocket. He had to take it to Stronghammer himself. Can't rely on those messangers, who knows what's going on with his post anyway?

He sighted. What has the world come to? His family and fort dead and now this. Dwarves mingling with other races. Derm in love with Fori and vice versa. This was not what he signed up for.

At least the circus was complete, a nice place to collect his thougts. Nice place... That's it! Stronghammer shall give a speech in there during some religious holiday of Ibruk's!

And so he left, slamming the door behind him, ready to struggle with the election some more.

lockman766

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail Random
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: November 14, 2011, 09:49:55 pm »

can i get a human or an elf (half elf even if it's only in the story)

Name: John Lock
      Job: swords man preferably dual wielding.
      Sex: Male

detail: He is mentally scared from his constant run ins with the nothing. He is prone to nightmares and drinks to try to forget. Despite this he's is outwardly friendly and charming. He is loyal to his friends, and brutally cold to his enemies. His fighting style mixes human and Elven styles.   
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 01:35:45 am by lockman766 »

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: November 16, 2011, 12:13:59 am »

If it's ok, I'd like to join up too. If possible I would like to be the next non-named dwarf who gets a mood. This time, the possessor spirit, decided not to leave.
Also the name will hopefully change to Neo and the dwarf will join the military if possible.
EDIT: The possessor spirit is male, and refuses to divulge his previous racial identity.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 12:21:39 am by neo1096 »
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: November 30, 2011, 08:52:58 am »

Bump, nudge, poke, and pester for an awesome story

Xenir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: November 30, 2011, 11:15:36 pm »

Sign me up.
I wanna be a human swordsman. A good one. As in, not dying from a random arrow to the foot, severing a motor nerve and getting my head chopped off. I'm gonna pull a skyrim and ask to dual wield a couple short swords if that's good with you.
I'll be a guard and stay out of the way for the most part.
My past is none of your business, so don''t ask.
Quote from: GoombaGeek
That sounds gay. It's not. It's fucking terrifying.
Quote from: GoombaGeek
Olin isn't fucking around this time. He knows it'll take more punishment than a BDSM expo in a tornado made out of serrated blades. So he hits it until the head is mush. Then he hits the body until it's got a soupy texture too. When he's done, it doesn't look like a cat. It looks like a fucking meat puddle.

Sneaky Walrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Clever Walrus....
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: December 26, 2011, 09:11:58 pm »

Is this still going? Or is it dead?
Fire washes the sin off the soul and the skin off the bone. That and I can't be bothered making soap...

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: January 01, 2012, 12:55:38 pm »

Is this still going? Or is it dead?
Hopefully not, but the last update was in November 10th  :/
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: January 01, 2012, 05:51:08 pm »

Yaaay, this is back.
How's katana doing?
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: January 05, 2012, 02:53:19 pm »

And...we're back. No excuses, I've run out of them.

The 'can't remember this character or what they've done' seems to be a recurrent thing, not least due to the fact that I am quite very much extremely slow with updates, and this fort has Loads and Loads of Characters (43, not including the 4 new people or the 4 dead ones, which would bring it up to 51! And that's not including the 'non-forumite' ones such as Ibruk or Imiwa or Rakust.). Would it help if I made some sort of recap-type summary/timeline of major events and people and put it on the first post maybe?

New Guy - Sure! Just put up a bio and I'll add you in.

lockman766, neo1096 & Xenir - Sure thing! You'll have to wait for the next surviving immigration wave though, we're thin on the ground for unclaimed Dwarves.

25th Obsidian 677

And so Nomekast went to the polls. For some, it was a welcome return to the normality of a Mountainhome or Town; to others it was a new and unusual experience.

The crowd gathered around the dining-area to hear the returns. As the community's Bookkeeper, Bounce was chosen as Election Overseer. Standing up on the dining platform besides the large stone pots that had held the votes, she held up a simple piece of pig-tail paper which was enough to silence the chattering crowd.

"By the Grace of the Gods and the Ancient and Grand Nobility," she began with the archaic formulas that Dwarves had used for centuries to relay election results. Some, Ibruk and the non-Dwarven races prominent among them, had suggested leaving such useless formalities out, especially in a fort as multi-racial as Nomekast, but Bounce above all, though quiet and rather meek, respected the rule of forms and the forms said that the words were necessary, "The results for the election for the First Mayorship of Nomekast is as hence follows;
Ocade - 14 votes.
Fori - 35 votes.
Stronghammer Fireforge - 38 votes.

By the Grace of the Gods and the Ancient and Grand Nobility - Stronghammer Fireforge is hereby elected First Mayor of Nomekast!"

A loud cheer rose from around Stronghammer and his supporters. The normally rather stoic industrialist allowed himself a largish smile as he shook hands enthusiastically with his supporters, accepting their words. Not all were pleased by this result though, a boo came up from the predominantly Elven part of the crowd, while many of Fori and Ocade's supporters did their best to politely applaud, while others showed less restraint and scowled outright at the result. Still with applause in the air, Stronghammer took to the dining-area 'podium'. Traditionally the first speech of the Mayor was to outline their policies for the coming year, and if there was one thing Stronghammer admired besides industry, it was also tradition. Now up on the podium with the community's eyes upon him, the usually quiet industrialist spoke,

"My good Dwarves, Elves, Humans, Kobolds, Goblins and Bogeyman. I am not in the habit of making big speeches as many of you will know. Firstly I would like to congratulate Fori and Ocade on their admirable conduct and campaign in these elections. Their sense of fairplay and respect would be enough to make any one of them admirable Mayors in their own right.

Many of you will already know the policies I am pushing for; freedom, respect, safety and industry. Freedom for every male, female and child of any race to make for their own place in our community. Respect for all ideas and beliefs. Safety from the scourge of the surface. Industry to bring about all of these.

To this end, I would like to announce the following preliminary policies to be implemented after my first meeting with our good Sheriff Derm. The ban on burning any above-ground tree due to its offensive nature to the beliefs of many of our fellow citizens. The protection of all religious beliefs and the creation of places of worship so that any may find the spiritual solace they wish. The expansion of our industrial strength to better equip our militia and protect us from the danger roaming the caverns and the surface. The appointment of judges so that matters can be resolved even when our overworked Sheriff cannot attend to them. And finally the creation of a forum so that matters, ideas and suggestions can be discussed by all and voted on. Details for all these policies will be forthcoming. Thank you all for listening and thank you all for voting, no matter who you voted for."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Stronghammer sat at his desk in his new Mayoral quarters. It was across a suspended walkway from the great hall. He'd have preferred his little cottage by the forges, but as Mayor he had to be closer to the 'masses of the people'. Papers were strewn before him detailing everything he needed to know, along with outlines of his policies, orders for the forges and the Iron Guard, and more. There was a knock at the door.

"Come in."

Bounce the Bookkeeper entered, holding her precious records with her,

"I've got the latest records here, Mayor Fireforge." she said, placing them on the desk in front of the industrialist-turned-mayor.

"Ah good, thank you. Now Bounce, I have an important job for you. If we are to expand Nomekast we must know everything about her. To that end I need you to do a report on the wealth of everything we have here."

"The...wealth?"

"Indeed. If we know the rough estimate of wealth, we can measure its increase or decrease and thus the prosperity of everyone here."

"But...to what standard? I mean, there's no reference, no ma-"

"Just follow the old prices, no need to worry about changing prices or fluctuating economy." Nomekast was, after all, anything but a free market, being much closer to state capitalism.

"Well-"

"I have full confidence in you, you're our Bookkeeper for a reason." Bounce sat straighter at that, her job as Bookkeeper was often taken for granted by most of the community, people wanted to know how much of things there was, they didn't much care for how they found this out. "And as thus," Stronghammer continued, "I am nominating you as our Broker." It was essentially a meaningless gesture in a fort that had seen maybe one caravan in its four years of existence, but it made Bounce feel a bit better about herself.

"Thank you Mayor Fireforge." she said, rising, giving what could have passed for a half-bow-half-curtsey and leaving.

The forges on the Fiery Cistern were abuzz with activity, everywhere one turned a Dwarf or Human or even Goblin would bustle past, arms laden with iron ingots. The sounds of hissing metal and the clang of hammers on metal filled the air and with the already uncomfortable heat it gave the place the feel of some demonic hive. As part of his policies Stronghammer had insisted upon armouring the entire militia and Iron Guard with complete metal armour. Furthermore the stocks of bolts and weapons were to be expanded. This growth in industrial activity brought with it all sorts, Arsethotheles the blind Philosopher smelted bolts by himself in a corner, Tarran and Muenster forged weapons side-by-side, while a small group of Goblins brought their expertise in viciously barbed bolts to bear. Urist and Bayar together worked on ballista bolts, and one Elf - most probably a supporter of Fori - had even been seen ferrying bars of metal to and fro. Against an innumerable enemy, Nomekast prepared a war machine.

"Yes, the bottle, just above the one with its blood in it." Ugo Sosleng directed Fori. The Elf perused the shelf, finding the bottle containing the curlings wisps of what passed for the blood of a Nothing and looking above it. Sure enough, a small phial containing what could only have been a few drops of some darkish blue liquid stood. She took it carefully, passing it to the Goblin.

"Thank you my dear." he said. One thing Fori had noted about Ugo very quickly were his perfect manners. He seemed the perfect gentlegoblin at all times, or rather the perfect gentle-something else, much unlike most Goblins. The most Goblinish thing about him was his complete apathy towards causing pain. Ugo held the phial up to the torch-light, "Do you know what this contains, Fori? It's a most potent poison. Could kill a man in a minute, an Elf in two. I had the good fortune of buying it from a caravan from...hmm, let's see, I think it was the Gross Ruthlessness. Yes, that was it. Extracted from some great Titan or Demon or suchlike they told me. I've only ever used a drop, to test it on a woman sentenced to death. It was very effective."

Again his warm tone coupled with his complete apathy towards death made Fori almost shudder. Ugo was definitely a strange Goblin, but he was still a breath of fresh air among his more racist and even more callous brethren.

"And you'll be testing it on the Nothing?" she guessed. Ugo nodded,

"If we know how poisons affect them we'll know a great deal more than we already do. Now then, if you'd be so kind to get me that iron claw over there." she did so, and the Goblin uncorked the phial, letting a single drop fall on the metal blade. "You see, the poison can be transmitted with a simple scratch. A very effective thing indeed, considering we'll dealing with a creature which wouldn't eat what we give it, poisoned or not." he held the claw up, "Are you ready to record the observations?" he asked. Fori simply nodded. "Then we'll begin."

With the speed of a cobra he sliced the claw into the Nothing's flesh. Fori winced, almost turning away, but stood firm, the quill in her hand as she prepared to note down whatever happened to the Nothing.

"Now, we know nothing - ha - of their particular metabolism, so the poison could take anything from a minute to five." Ugo noted. Leaning on the table besides her. The Nothing hadn't moved at all, preferring to simply stare at them as it always did. The scratch on its body bled wispy black blood that dissolved into the air.

A minute passed, then two, then five. After ten minutes Ugo sighed,

"No results. Whether from extreme slow-acting or simply no-acting is hard to say at the moment. We'll have to pick up the test tomorrow."

The layout of Nomekast on 1st Granite 678
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Sneaky Walrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Clever Walrus....
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: January 05, 2012, 05:01:35 pm »

Good to see that this is back up and running.
Have you read through the stuff that happened while you were gone?

Anyway I vote for a recap since it seems that no-one can remember what is going on

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: January 05, 2012, 09:50:06 pm »

I agree with Sneaky Walrus about the recap. And yay my guy thanks he sounds and acts great.

Journal of Stronghammer

Stronghammer beamed as he listened to the constant hammer and clash of the many smiths working the forges. Once again dwarven industry had risen above all odds. It even pleased him more to know he brought the change about and that a knowledgable Stronghammer had risen to lead the industry. He began the long treck back to his new quarters. He missed the banging of the forges and the hissing and steaming of the smelters. He thought back quickly to the reactions of many of Nomekast's citizens during the election. It pained him that many had doubted his abilities and and promises, yet it warmed him that more trusted him. He was so proud of his achievements that he desided to commision a table made of gold  and bejeweled with a large gem for each of the races present, to better represent Nomekast. Immediately he thought of the stocks and how many bars of precious metal had gone missing as well as many other things around the fort. He scratched his bushy beard as he thought about the problem. He knew that it was most likely thieves, yet if he anounced it he knew that many would blame the kobolds. He wasn't quite sure if he believed in their possible innocence, yet he had to act at the benefit of all. He decided that he would notify Derm. He made sure not to think about the many relatives of his who would often accept bribes of jewels from their resident thieves guild. (ooc: this means he may possibly be convinced to accept a bribe to look the other way, as his family has a hereditary weakness for gems. Yet he would need serious convinceing.) He sat behind his desk and looked at all the crisp piles of paper and documents on his desk. He often wondered how Derm could operate in such a state of clutter and mess. He decided then and there that he would play an innocent joke on derm and have many of his supporters begin filing HUGE numbers of forms for Derm to look over. He was about to turn to his work when he remebered his supporters...the alliance. Well he would schedule a meeting with them as he owed them a party for their work. As well he wanted to hear their imput on what they thought he should do. He also decided to send for Fori and request her to become an advisor to him, so that he would hear the other side of certain arguments. However this choice he made more to look good politically and with the people, as he doubted Fori could convince him. He paused at that thought and even chuckled, he was beginning to sound like Brosso. Before going back to his paper work hhe made one final decision, to add Brosso as an advisor too, so that he would appear to the people that he supported both sides.

ooc sorry for lots of words, Im just excitted this is back, great work as usual.

lockman766

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail Random
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: January 06, 2012, 06:33:24 pm »

The Nightmares of John
      "Run!" he heard someone shout. His heart threatened to burst in his chest, his lungs burned, his body ached. He then realized that he was the one shouting.
      "Move!" he looked back to see a women beautiful, pale, golden sweeping hair, her eye's filled with terror. Who was she, for all the stars in the sky he couldn't remember. They ran, and ran until they were on the brink then ran some more. Finally they came to an abandoned cottage. He rushed inside first to make sure it was safe. as she closed the do behind them. breathing a sigh of relief she leaned back against the door. He turned, and smiled the had made it they could stop running for a while. suddenly a thud hit the door a dark tendril protruded from her stomach her eye's were wide, and terrified as she stared at the thing. suddenly the nothing began pouring into her, then pouring out through her eye's, and ear's. It completely enveloped her, then with her completely covered she lunged.
       He woke covered in sweat.     
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 76