Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 180281 times)

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - Hiding from Nothing
« Reply #690 on: October 29, 2011, 01:14:03 pm »

Brosso climbs heavily on a table, adjusts his cigar and tophat and eyes the crowd which has gathered to find out what all this commotion is. Interestingly no other dwarves of Alliance for Dwarven Survival or Iron Guard nearby.

Taking a long drag of his cigar, he begins his little speech:

My fellow Dwarves and non-Dwarves! I wanted to speak a few words to you as a friend. *puff*

You know how tough the times are, there is no doubt of it. Countless of your fellow kinsmen lay dead, countless more will die if some radical steps are not taken. *puff*

The beasties, commonly called nothings, are the gravest danger we have ever faced as a whole, but there are also enemies within the fortress. Ones who wouldn't think twice of trading our and their lives for some petty ideological wars. *puff*

Who are they you ask? Is this the shorties, the humies, the tree-huggers or the greenskins? No, the enemies I speak of do not care about your race, religion or ideology. All they care about is their own agenda, one that will kill us all so that they can make sure we can't interfere with their intricate plans. *puff*

An ancient enemy they are, worshiping their foul gods, probably they are responsible for the plague of nothings that endangers all we know and love!
That's why we have to set aside petty animosities we hold against each other and have to work together to fight back and reclaim our ancestral lands. *puff* *violent cough* *mutters: "holy armok"*

To that end we'll need weapons and armor, which only our forges may provide. I understand all of us know that without them, our case is lost and we are already dead and forgotten. *puff*

That's why I speak to you today. I ask you to forgive and forget, and vote for our industrialist, Stronghammer, who is the key to survival for all of us, the Alliance for Dwarven Survival, progressive *wink at Fori, who is passing by* and conservative elves, humans, goblins and whoever else we've got in our fortress. *puff*
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 04:06:37 pm by Ovg »

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: October 29, 2011, 01:14:35 pm »

Good thing Nomekast lives again!

I can't wait to see what will the election and post election chaos bring  ;D.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 01:16:06 pm by Ovg »

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: October 29, 2011, 06:19:17 pm »

nice speak Ovg thanks for the support.

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: November 02, 2011, 12:03:30 pm »

Konith's Log
I have arrived to Nomekast. It wasn't quite as I expected but that's not something to worry. There was quite a commotion when I got here, something about walls and the Iron Guard. Seems like there's a pro-dwarf group who built wood burners, and the elves destroyed one. On that matter, elves here are quite divided. Some are the same old tree-lovers, but others follow someone by the name of Fori, who, as I've been told, disagrees with the idea trees are ancestors. Also, there's an election for mayor going on. That elf, Fori, and Stronghammer, an Dwarven Alliance industrialist, are running for it. For now, I'm supporting Stronghammer. Not going to vote for now, though. Maybe there's another better candidate waiting to show up.
--------------------
Hmm. There's a Thieves' Guild here. Planning something. I told them I'd help. And now I'm doubting about voting Stronghammer. He would form more squads of the Iron Guard, and the heist would be more difficult. That gave me an idea, though. I'll tell Stas. One of us should disguise/become an Iron Guard so we get more inside information...
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: November 02, 2011, 02:07:27 pm »

"Stronghammer sounds like decent dwarf. He won't let Brosso put fellows in cages or in pits of death. The council idea sounds good too."

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: November 02, 2011, 02:23:13 pm »

"I'm throwing in my vote for Fori, she seems smart enough."
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: November 02, 2011, 03:49:08 pm »

From the log of Fori:

So far, the only ones to step forward to run for mayor have been Ocade and Stronghammer. At first, I liked the idea of a fellow elf running, but Ocade is…strange. He seems more goblin than elf in mindset. And there are rumors that he’s been hanging around with Bax. Stronghammer, on the other hand, is a dwarf through and through. Evenhanded and level headed. I could see him making a good official. But he seems rigid. He was unwilling to compromise with the elves over the issue of wood burning. It is true that the elves present weren’t willing either, the only choices discussed were ‘burn no wood’ and ‘burn any needed’, and of course neither were willing to bend at all.

Therefore, even though it’ll mean less times amid the plants or in the labs, I have decided to announce my intent to run for Mayor of Nomekast. This fortress needs a leader who is both strong and flexible if it is to survive. I doubt the current candidates ability to be both, and no one else has stepped forward. For the good of the fort, I chose to do so. The farms, at least, can be passed on to other dwarves, men, and elves. I’ve worked with many of them, and I know they’ll tend the crops well. I’ll have to see if I still have the time to continue Torvold’s work, but I think I can manage with Ugo’s help. Either way, I’d better go and make an announcement to the inhabitants of Nomekast.

Later that evening in the dining hall:

“People of Nomekast. My friends and companions.” Fori began, getting the attention of the gathered elves, dwarves, men, and other races. “Lend me your time for a moment. I’ve heard as have you of the upcoming election. So far only two have stepped forward. After long consideration and thought, I have decided, for the good of the fortress, that I will put forth myself for election.”

“Our fortress needs a strong leader if it is to survive in these times. Nomekast is the strong oak enduring the storm, the cliff face enduring the pounding of the ocean. It must be a flexible one as well. Not only to counter the ever changing and evolving threat of the defilers and the monstrous beasts that threaten us. But to respond to the growing population, and the many cultures that have come together to live as one. This population is the foundation of our fortress, the roots that hold the oak in place. If we allow this foundation to crack from infighting amongst ourselves, we weaken Nomekast. As we have seen, the defilers are quick to take advantage of any weaknesses that we possess.”

“Therefore, should I be elected, I will do all I can to ensure that we all provide a united front against the defiler’s threat. I will endeavor to balance the needs of dwarven industry with the needs of the elves to protect nature. Compromises can be reached to allow the forges and furnaces to work to provide the goods and weapons that this fortress desperately needs without ignoring the beliefs and needs of the other races. And together, we will resist the wanton destruction of the defilers, who threaten elf, dwarf, man, goblin and kobold alike. We will find new ways to counter their threat, and we will retake our world from them, and send them back to whatever foul void they came from.”

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: November 03, 2011, 01:37:41 pm »

Konith's Log
That elf, Fori, just announced her intentions of running for mayor. She says the mayor should be someone flexible but strong. And, she has not said anything about protecting the forge specifically, but the fortress. That's what I was worrying about, so I think I'll vote for her.
Freaks.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: November 04, 2011, 09:19:19 pm »

if Fori becomes the mayor, I'm not entirely sure what Reg would do.  Leave, probably.
Vote for stronghammer
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: November 05, 2011, 07:04:00 pm »

17th Obsidian 677 - Evening

Electioneering had begun for the first time in Nomekast. To some, this was a signal of the community settling more into something resembling a true, orderly, community, to others, it signalled a move back into the same corrupt communities that they had been forced to flee from. So far three names stood on the ballot, Stronghammer Fireforge, the well known Dwarf industrialist and Alliance for Dwarven Survival member who had taken charge of the forges, and Ocade, the swordself well known for his killing of forty-seven Nothing in the defense of Nomekast, and Fori, the well-known Elf farmer and the one who had taken charge of the defences of Nomekast, a move which was sure to split the Elf vote. Speeches were being made, ideas were being tossed, policy platforms were being made, again, to the delight of some, and the unhappiness of others. For many, the idea of democracy was a new thing, even if in Dwarven society it was still traditionally restrained to the Mayor's role, the nobility and monarchy taking all the 'big decisions' as it were, while the Sheriff traditionally being appointed by the local highest noble. Humans also had elections, though these sometimes ranged to more important positions; Elves and Goblins on the other hand, were new to the idea, in Goblin society only the strongest ruled, while in Elven society roles were either religious and thus limited in terms of candidates and who could decide, or else part of the monarchy, which was naturally, non-democratic. As for Kobolds and Bogeymen, no one knew or had asked, though it was assumed that Kobolds had a primitive tribal structure, and thus were also new to organised democracy.

Outside of the election, life continued. Down in the forges another controversial defense had been set up in the form of cage traps at the entrance of the newly-built wall.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This had again set off an argument about the limits of what could be done with the forges which again was stopped at 'no Mayor, no need for permission to build things'.

Meanwhile, up on the home level, work had begun on carving out an office for whoever would be Mayor, in the newly-excavated area that had been bridged to east from the fort.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ugo had continued his experiments on the Nothing with Fori's help. He had made the discovery that after a day they seemed perfectly healed, and that even after amputating a Nothing's tentacle, that they seemed to grow back after a day. This had the worrying implication that the Nothing couldn't be injured or permanently weakened; they had to be outright killed or a day later they'd be perfectly fine again.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

They met in the evening as people began to go to bed. Stas the Dwarf, Bax the Goblin, Ocade the Goblin-raised Elf, and another new-comer, Konith the Kobold.

"Right. You all know what's been happening. The damned Elves - no offence meant Ocade - have riled up that Stronghammer and his Alliance chums." Bax opened. Stas nodded,

"They've complicated everything, certainly. But, gentlemen, I don't think we need fear too much. Their 'Iron Guard' isn't much of a force to be feared of, and they've failed to realise that the metal depot is outside of their walls." he said, waving a hand on the map of the Fiery Cistern laid out before them on the table.

"But with the Iron Guard skulking it'll be harder. I've noticed one Dwarf who stands by the depot entrance all day, armed and armoured." Ocade noted. It was then that Konith spoke up, his Kobold voice much higher-pitched that Stas and Ocade's soft ones or Bax's growling voice.

"I did have an idea - if one of us joins the Iron Guard, we'd have an insider. And if they should ever be sent to guard the depot..." he let his voice trail off, but they all knew what he meant. If one of theirs was on guard, then they'd have little-to-no problem getting in and out with the goods.

"But which of us would Stronghammer let join? He's an Alliance guy, and I don't think he'd believe Stas if he asked to join." Bax said. Stas stroked his beard,

"Not necessarily. Stronghammer doesn't seem to be 'anti-non-Dwarves', more of a 'very pro-industry' and thus drawn to the Alliance which are also pro-industry. Bax and Ocade, you two are both well known as militia, he'd probably let you join."

"What? A Goblin or an Elf? I somehow doubt it."

"Or else Konith? You're a markskobold yes? I daresay they could use a ranged fighter, and Kobolds tend not to be seen quite as bad as Goblins and Elves."

"I...could try." the Kobold said.

"Then it's settled."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The 18th of Obsidian was the feast day of St. Astesh Lashsprayed, the 3rd King of the Ber Dynasty, who had re-instituted the true religion after his mother's insane heresy. To most people, it was nothing, but Master Ibruk was slowly re-instituting the old feast days, and St. Lashsprayed was after all, meant to be patron saint of the religious and the clergy, certainly topical amongst the faithful in Nomekast. Those faithful to Ibruk's teachings, Kadzar foremost amongst them, as well as the Goblin, Hammer of the Gods, who saw herself as the prophet's bodyguard, formed a community of their own. To couple it, ancient records from the Temple of the Broken Rock, had suggested that in the earliest days of recorded civilisation, the 18th of Obsidian had been a day sacred to 'The Perplexing Mirror', a very old god, who today was also known by the name 'Iklist Tunnelveil'.

As the time ran down to midnight and the start of the 18th of Obsidian, Kadzar and his fellow priests were still up, preparing the temple for the ceremony that would occur once midnight struck. Ritual was important. If the attention of Iklist Tunnelveil the Perplexing Mirror and the favour of St. Lashsprayed were to be attracted, the ritual had to be performed on the first minutes of the 18th, with a later service in the evening for the non-clergy.

It was extremely detailed and precise. While conventional Dwarven religion was far more lax and easy these days, Ibruk was harking back to its original form and ideas.

Lanterns had to be strung up, the altar cleaned and prepared fully, with the grand artefact idols, Slyshaken and Domas Eser in prominent position. Candles had to be lit, and of course, the priests had to be quiet to avoid making so much noise that they woke the sleepers in the communal barracks.

There was only one thing missing, the prophet himself. Kadzar searched in vain. Hammer of the Gods has gone as well, and the fact that the Goblin rarely ever left the Dwarf's side suggested that she probably went with him. It was not rare for Ibruk to vanish so that he could meditate in the silence, but that he'd done so a mere half-hour before the ritual to St. Lashsprayed and Iklist Tunnelveil suggested an urgency that made anxiety rise in Kadzar.

He finally found the old Dwarf cross-legged by the lake-side. Hammer of the Gods stood a respectable distance away in silence. When Kadzar tried to approach the Goblin blocked his way,

"Don't disturb the prophet." she hissed quietly. She treated Kadzar respectably and politely usually, but if Kadzar ever even gave the appearance of disturbing Ibruk, she would immediately stand her ground.

"Please. Join me Kadzar." came Ibruk's voice, calm and floating on the silent air. Kadzar came to the prophet's side, "Sit and let your mind know the silence." Ibruk said, a sense of ritual almost pervading his voice. Kadzar did so, sitting cross-legged and staring across the lake in silence. After two minutes or so of this, Ibruk pointed to the cave roof,

"A dark cloud hangs above Nomekast, Brother Kadzar. The dark beasts of the Hells stir, and await blood, the Nothing continue to purge this world of decadence and impiety. We are trapped between two forces - one divine, one profane. And I fear that our fellow pilgrims have yet to realise the devastating consequences if we abandon the gods' will."

"What-what can we do?" Kadzar asked, fear beginning to rise in him. If the prophet himself saw Nomekast as doomed then it was sure to be.

"What can we do.." Ibruk mused, then said, "'In ancient times the faithful would earn the favour of the gods by honouring them, this is what was known as both pious and proper.' That is from the second book of the 'Analects of the Old Ways', by St. Iton. I see only one way to ensure the protection of our fellow pilgrims if they will not protect themselves, Brother Kadzar." Ibruk rose, "We must build a great cathedral, a grand sanctuary to the gods, that they may know of us as both pious and proper. It's the only way we can avert the coming storm."

Voting/Standing for Mayor is still open for now, Stronghammer is in the lead with 6 votes (that's including Lord Allagon's 'supporting but not voting until the end in case of better candidates'), Fori has 4 (For now, I'm putting Tarran's 'vote for the moderate and pro-good-racial relations' as a Fori vote, due to Stronghammer's links with the Alliance for Dwarven Survival, and Ocade's general more violent nature) and Ocade has 1 vote.
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: November 05, 2011, 07:46:29 pm »

Derm's log.

These past few weeks, months, whatever, have been hectic, the elections in particular. I feel in some way that I've failed. The would-be elf riot was on my head and mine alone for failing to reach a compromise in the forges, and with the investigation of the sabotage. In retrospect, I suppose I could have argued that fungi trees are not the same as the elves regular wooden trees and thus can be used in the furnaces, but the time has come and gone where it would make a more noticeable impact. I shall try to enact this change while I still can, anyway.

Stronghammers semi-insubordination also irks me greatly. He is one of those types who goes through the wording of law carefully and exploits loopholes, I suspect. Even though I am not 'officially' in charge of such projects, he still should have seen me about it.(Traps! In the workshops! Does he not know what a safety hazard that could be? even if they are only cage traps, the nearby magma could set the wood aflame or the metal to searing hot levels of heat.) And now he is running for mayor himself. I do not know what kind of mayer he would make, as military doctrine and Mayoral duties are much different as I experianced first hand with my transition to Sheriff. (Note, request a bigger office. there is literally paper stacked to the ceiling. Do I even need some of this crap anymore?)

Ocade I simply do not know much about. He is a goblin raised elf and has a great kill record, but he has this shifty air about him. Same problem as the millitary to noble transition I mentioned earlier. He probably will not win, thankfully. I do not think he would do well.

Fori I've known since we both got here. We've grown exceptionally close, though t has been hard to tell where we stand to each other in these times, but I have confidence that we can keep together... whatever we have. she truly is an Elf of the people, having spent as much time in the military as out tilling the fields. She knows almost all aspects of the life the commoners live, and I think that is more important to a mayors duties than military might, which is technically directed by the captain of the guard anyhow. She can relate, is what I'm saying. In the elections, nobles cannot vote, as it is a choice for the people to make. I will announce my support of her in any case, even though I cannot physically vote for her.

Maybe that will make the difference I seem to be unable to make lately.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: November 05, 2011, 08:31:51 pm »

Konith's log
So. I'll have to join the Iron Guard. I'm thinking in the "how". Maybe demonstrate my abilities by an exceptional shot where he sees it. Maybe fake sabbotage? Maybe instigating an attack against the forges and then defend them? Hmm. Lots of things to think about. I'll go and observe the rebellious elves for now. Maybe I can get some information and tell Stronghammer, so he trusts me.
Freaks.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: November 06, 2011, 12:34:54 am »

Later that day Stronghammer once again left the confines of the forge areas to give a speak with some ideas of what he would do as mayor. "Fellow Nomekastians i come beofre today not to tell how i will be in general terms, but instead to promise certain freedoms if i am elected. If elected i will create a forum where every person regardless of race is welcome, to come forward will a concern, question, or desire, and have the matter discussed. If then after discussion the person wishes to continue, then a vote will be held withh all of Nomekast to figure out the will of the people and then as mayor with this knowledge i would make descision. Also as mayor i will enact laws to protect certain beliefs customs and minoritys after they have been discussed in the forum. And the last thing i promise to do as mayor is to appoint to judges, who will be available to discuss anymatters the people may have, and will be imbued with some limited powers to act upon the wishes of the people. I know these are grand things, and that they could be discussed more at length, but know this. I swear by my beard and my industry i will follow through with all my promises." Stonghammer in his typical effiecient manner stepped down from the raised surface without a wave or further comment, quickly turning and heading back to his nessesary work.

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: November 06, 2011, 09:20:54 am »

Brosso's letter to Stronghammer, sent during the first Nomekast election

"Dear Friend and fellow Dwarf

I, most unfortunately, am in a deficit of time to write about all my thoughts regarding the election, therfore I would like to meet you in coming days to discuss your campaign and decisions as a mayor if luck is on our side.

I just wanted to tell you, that in my most humble opinion it would be greatly beneficial if you were to include some religious notes in your speeches as well as proclaim that we shall not burn any overworldy wood in our forges (as we would not infact be able too even if we wanted, as too many beasties are roaming the great above to start any wood-related operations).

Another matter at hand is the Iron Guards membership policy, which I believe much requires clarification. I strongly support that all races shall be permitted to join, as this would provide it with a much more egalitarian, and therefore more popular facade.

May justice prevail
Brosso the Magnificent"

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: November 06, 2011, 12:09:44 pm »

There was a strange clunking sound heard through out the halls, but none could find it's source. It echoed in the dark dry caves, moving through the fortress with ease. The clunking stopped at the hospital. A moment later the door was thrown open.

"Hy Hem Beck Sveethot!"

There, in dirty blood spattered armor, stood Mienhard, a ruk sack in hand and a grin on his face. He put the sack at the end of Blacksteel's bed.

"Hy gut yer stuff. Som uf eet was hot tu find. Now geet hup! Hyu been in bed fur monts!"

Whit that Mienhard made his way down to the lab and opened one of the cabinets. Inside there were several green glass beakers filled with blood, all labeled, there were also several bags of herbs, leaves, fungus and roots, the spoils from all his time hunting through the caves. He took stock quickly. He figured there was enough for six draughts and one mad brain boost. Closing the cabinet, Mienhard may his way back up into the main area.

"Hokay, Hy hem voot fur Fori, eed mhy boyz thu vent thay oop!"
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 07:09:09 pm by TALLPANZER »
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 76