Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 76

Author Topic: [Community] Nomekast - At War with Nothing  (Read 180288 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Nomekast - Hiding from Nothing
« Reply #630 on: May 30, 2011, 10:17:35 am »

WE HAVE COME
My head feels like it splits open as three voices roar through my mind.
THROUGH THE RAGE OF OUR MASTER WE HAVE COME.
I try to summon the light of my axe, and a faint outline appears.
THOUGH WE HAVE NEVER SEEN THE LIGHT OF DAY, WE ARE HERE TO BRING ABOUT YOUR END.
I pry open my eyes, and there they stand.
I AM BEZBIN, FIRST OF THE TRIO, AND YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE.
I AM LISH, SECOND OF THE TRIO, OH YES, OH YES!!
I AM STRETI, THIRD OF THE TRIO, YOU INSIGNIFICANT WORM.
I stand up a bit, the surprise wearing off. The shining axe solidifies in my hand.
They laugh, a dark eldritch sound of nightmares.
YOU THINK WE HAVE COME TO PLAY?
YOU ARE NOT EVEN WORTHY OF OUR TIME.
YOU CAN'T BEAT WHAT YOU CANT DODGE! OH NO OH NO!
Two separate hatches open on the Bird and the lizard, and a greenish-purple mixture fills the landscape.
And I fall over, unable to move.
SO SAD, SO LONG! MAKE SURE TO NOT COME AGAIN!
YOU ARE WEAK, NOTHING BUT FOOLS AND USELESS PARASITES!
IT'S TIME WE FINISHED THIS.
A giant pulsating shell-sphere rolls over me and I can't breath. Ash befouls the air, but I can't move.
I black out.
And I wake up again.
Recovering from my shock, I rush off to find the military.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: May 30, 2011, 11:19:57 am »

oh shit.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: May 30, 2011, 01:35:39 pm »

Oh goody, more Forgotten Bea-...

Wait, Poisonous gas?

Oh god. Oh god. Oh god oh god oh god. Please don't tell me I'm going to be in the first group. D:
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: May 30, 2011, 01:37:40 pm »

Awesome so far, I cheered a little when my guy stuck it to those elves. Thanks for the cottage i loves it. I wonder what im off to make, it must be something of industry and must be kept from the priests. Lastly HOLY SHIT, good luck with those three, im glad im not a fighter.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: May 31, 2011, 12:28:20 pm »

From the log of Fori:
   The dream has changed again. As of late, it had grown more infrequent, I was rather hoping that it would cease to bother me. But I was still curious about that ancient elf in the oasis of green. And tonight, I found out.

It began in a similar fashion as the other dreams. I walk in the cursed forest, devoid of life save for the black trees that have no leaves but tiny, writhing defiler tentacles instead. I was there with armor and sword. But this time, I wasn't alone. There were the dwarves of Nomekast with me, bearing arms as well. Not just dwarves, but humans too and other elves. Even goblins and kobolds.  The etheral elves who used to ignore me, regard me with scorn or distain, or name me 'traitor' were there again too in the distance. Except now, not a single one ignored me, or rather us. Nor did any shout names or accusations. To an elf, they looked on with fear.

And again, there was the ancient elf sitting in the oasis of green grass amid the dead land. The sapling still grows at his feet. He again smiled to me, and beckoned, and again I come. And as before, made for him and his oasis of green amid death. The unearthly trees around me shift, becoming defilers, and again I draw my sword with a shout. But this time, other shouts rose up as well, as my assorted companions fell upon the defilers. In a mirror of the battle that occurred in reality, the defilers were slain utterly and completely. After years of having this dream, I finally step onto the green grassy oasis of life. As I did so, the black ichor of the defilers staining my armor and sword seemed to suddenly vanish.

It was then the ancient elf spoke to me, after gesturing for me to sit with him. "Welcome Fori, child of the forests," The ancient elf said. The language he spoke in seemed to be an ancient form of elvish, but I could understand it. "We've waited a long time to meet you." Naturally, I had so many questions for this being, and his greeting only brought more to mind. I voiced the one that had been the foremost in my mind.

"Who are you, elder one?" I asked, sitting down near him on the grass.

"We are the spirits of the elves of old. Those that still care for their descendents anyway". The ancient elf answered. "Thousands of thousands of men and women, who linger near the mortal plane to whisper wisdom to the next generation through the trees."

"The spirits!" That was quite a revelation to me. Even if it was a dream, even now during waking I find it hard to doubt or question it. "Forgive me, it's been so long since I've communed with the spirits. So many have been destroyed, from the nothings and their goblin thralls burning the forests. And now the dwarves are planning on cutting more trees down, and I don't know how to stop them."

"Destroyed? Child, what do you think the trees are? And what do you think happens when one dies, whether through axe, fire, or simple age." The ancient elf asked me.

"They are the manifestation of the spirits of old. And if they are destroyed, so is the spirit." I responded. That is what every elf was taught. At least every elf in the city I grew up in. But the ancient elf simply shook his head.

"Long ago, when the world was still new, and the gods walked with mortals, the gods of the world made gifts for their races," The ancient elf began. "The dwarven gods made the mountains for the children of the stone to use and cherish. And the gods of the elves made the forests for our kind. To this day, the dwarves still cherish their stone and mountains, but they use them as well. They carve them, shape them, and build them up into walls that keep threats at bay. They refine the ores into metal, and forge them into weapons and armor and tools. But the elves, the teaching has become twisted over the ages. They do not use their gift. It has been made into a burden instead."

"But... The trees are sacred... how can we possibly use them if it means destroying the spirits?" I responded.

"Child, have you not guessed by now? We are not the trees. They are but the channel, and not the only one." The ancient elf said. "Honor the trees, and treat them with respect, for they are a gift from the gods. But do not mourn the spirits, for we are not harmed by the destruction of trees. And do not let a rift form between you and the children of stone form because of their use of your gift. There are dangers enough in this ruined world without creating more within. Guide them instead. They have helped you to preserve an oasis of life amid death," He gestured to the sapling tree growing in the patch of healthy grass. "And there is still much to do. Life hangs upon a precarious balance still, and the defilers seek to devour all that remains."

It was a while before I had spoken. I found the beliefs I had held shaken badly again, as when the defilers first overran my home. I eventually decided to avoid the issue, and switch the subject to another pressing question. "Ancient one, what are the defilers? Who sent them?" I asked.

"The dwarves' name for the defilers is apt. From what we spirits can tell, they are not life, nor death, nor even the abominable combination of the two in undeath. They are simply nothing, manifestations of void and emptiness." The ancient elf replied. "We have looked hard, but we cannot find who has sent them. Nor does that matter, for they are here, and your generation must face them. Now, my time here grows short, for another danger is coming to your sanctuary. But before we part ways, there is something I must tell you. You must be prepared to be strong like an oak. A storm is coming, and you are at the forefront of it. You have already resisted the first winds, but the defilers have stronger agents to send. Thralls corrupted by the essence of nothing, and the spirits of traitors who do not sleep in peace. You must weather it this storm, but in doing so you will shield the weaker saplings behind you and give them a chance to grow in more peaceful winds. In time, they will grow strong enough to support you, but for a long time, you must be ready to stand on your own. Now awaken Fori, for you are needed."

Sure enough, I awoke at that point. I hurriedly wrote this dream down lest I forget. I had much to ponder and think about what the ancient elf had said. I  don't know if it was all true, who knows what the sleeping mind can create in these dark times. but I have the feeling that it was no figment of my imagination. I must talk with those who know more of religion than I. Perhaps Kadzar will know more of what this means. He may be a fanatic, but he's more level headed and reasonable than Ibruk, and I respect that he is willing to take up arms to defend our home. I should share this with Derm too, he has had many visions himself. And I also need to eventually talk with this Stronghammer, and reach a compromise between him and the other elves. At the very least, I'm hoping to agree to leave a grove of trees untouched within the walls, and the chance to harvest the seeds from the ones that are cut down so more trees might be planted. After all, the supply of wood would dry up pretty quickly if no seeds were saved to grow into new saplings and trees.

But that must wait. The spirits were right in the dream, as a call to arms arose in the halls. More forgotten beasts have been sighted. I hurriedly dressed, grabbed my armor and sword, and rushed to the defense of my home.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 12:32:47 pm by Fortis »

alienfetucine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: May 31, 2011, 03:15:18 pm »

A series of thoughts on 12th Sandstone, 677

Where did that fellow, Ocade? I think it was, get to? I had some questions for him.

What's all the shouting for? Are we under attack? Wait, "kor" is "cavern"... From the caverns?

And... "beast" is "fer"... "Something beasts in the caverns"? Wait, forgotten beasts, I think. Isn't that what the dwarves call those... abomination wandering under the earth? I heard this place had a lot more of them than is usual for a fortress this young.

I think I'd like to watch the military at work again. I could grab a crossbow and help out, I doubt anybody would mind that and they aren't that hard to use...

Wait, did they say three? But don't those things travel alone?

...I've definitely got to see this.

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 02, 2011, 02:21:18 pm »

Diary of Brosso

Those elven unwashed savages are at it again! Who would have thought, that even now and here, at the end of our world and in the last enclave, they would object burning trees! "Oh! Look at them Dwarves! Defilers and eviiil!". Somebody has to teach them a lesson they will not forget soon!

I'll have to talk it over with some friends tonight, away from prying ears of the lower classes and races.

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 02, 2011, 03:22:05 pm »

Bronze spear, steel shield, full armor. Meinhard once more dawned his mantle of war.

"Poizen iz eet? Goot! Dat no problem for a Jäger. Ve beink leek frogmen dat vay."

The he switched from dwarven to his native tongue of old human.

< I shall deliver on to you, my friend in peril, all of that which has been requested. >

after speaking the old words he turned to lead his troops.

"Ve gotz to meet da uther groups, Ve be needink da traps! for dese vuns."
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 03:07:16 am by TALLPANZER »
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 05, 2011, 12:50:55 am »

"Right you lot if you have a scarf or a spare bit of cloth somewhere I suggest you wrap it round your mouth and nose so you don't get poisoned, if you don't have one either go borrow one from someone or hang back and cover the archers." Steve's voice was muffled under the layers of cloth he had wrapped around his head and the addition of dark goggles he'd found at the bottom of his kit bag made him look almost as soulless as the thing they where about to fight.
The people around him where getting the idea though and either fixing scarves to cover their faces or ripping bits of cloth from jackets or whatever they had to hand. "Hang on Fori, this should work better than a sock. Okay chaps, anyone gets cut, shout for Fori as she's wearing most of my spare bandages now."

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 14, 2011, 05:45:55 pm »

This is a grand tale indeed! In case you need some more meat of the grinder, sign me up for a male Dwarf. Named Dohon. Preferably a Hammer Dwarf or a Metalsmith (any will do), but in the end, it is up to you. :)
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

RogueArchivist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 22, 2011, 11:22:11 am »

Name: Ugo Sosleng
Race:Goblin
Job: Mechanic/ Marksman
Bio: Ugo comes from a joint dwarf/goblin city of industry and technological advancement, where he was a scientific researcher.
With the coming of the nothing he was forced to flee as the defenses eventualy crumbled. He wishes to study the nothing to find the best ways of taking them apart and see if there is any way to advance other fields of science with their parts. Ugo also really misses his tea and scones.

(Basicly mad scientist goblin with an English accent. Speaks dwarfish perfectly. Give him a crossbow when bad guys come.)

Sneaky Walrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Clever Walrus....
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 23, 2011, 04:25:30 am »

Hey guys I have been lurking this for a while now and it looks fantastic
ah... racial tensions, multiple forgotten beasts, a evil threatening to overwhelm the world... like any good dwarf fortress

anyway I have come to beg for placement with the fortress

Name: Unknown- answers to Juggernaut
Race: Human
Job: Axe/Hammer soldier
Bio: A man from an unknown past, clad in rusting,bloody armour, who arrives amid a fury of blood and death to the Nothings. He is for an unknown settlement that was destroyed in the wake of the Nothing attack and driven mad by the death of all he knew. He would have died if not from the vision he received from Armok who rose a great blood lust within the man, causing him to slay the attacking nothings within his village and bless him with the mission to drive back the Nothings in a tide of blood. Following the death of his home he forged a set of might plate armour from the remains of his home and doused it the blood of the Nothings. Now he seeks only to eliminate the Nothings from this world and has seen the Bastion of Nomekast as a place to stand and fight.

On a side note, he is very religious but comes at odds with the priest of Nomekast for his endless war against the nothings and the refusal to accept the end of the world. At best ignores the priests and the temple, viewing the battlefield as Armok's true temple and the blood of enemies as true offerings, instead of pansy statues and rocks.

Remember if you can't kill your enemy with it, its not worth making!  :D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 07:28:26 am by Sneaky Walrus »
Fire washes the sin off the soul and the skin off the bone. That and I can't be bothered making soap...

masam

• Bay Watcher
  • How lovely...Burn it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: July 16, 2011, 11:50:19 pm »

hey everyone.  I just caught up a couple other threads after some..computing issues...i'm starting from where I was last..is the cheese maker still alive?

Aequor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: July 22, 2011, 02:57:43 pm »

Wow, almost two months, really? Sorry for the long hiatus guys, my time management has been disorganized chaos recently, and writer's block hasn't really helped.

Sneaky Walrus, Dohon & RogueArchivist - thanks, and you're all in, bio's are up on the first post, as usual.

masam - Muenster is still fine, he's one of the most experienced soldiers in the fort at the moment actually, and has made some masterful glass windows.

4th Limestone 677 - Morning

The militia and any skilled in any way with a weapon had assembled within the courtyard where the soldiers usually trained. The entirety of the community was in a state of heightened alert. The children had been gathered out of the way and put out of harm's way, the Fiery Cistern, at most risk from attack, was to be quarantined until the beasts were dispatched.

The militia had organised themselves in a rough semi-circle around Tarran, Derm and Ibruk. Tarran was de-facto the militia commander since Rion's death, being the most experienced soldier in Nomekast, Derm, as Sheriff and apparent seer when it came to Forgotten Beasts, stood as his equal, while Ibruk, who for a long time had been de-facto head of the community until the past year and still held Kadzar and his warrior-priests utmost loyalty, had insisted on being part of the proceedings.

"Right," Tarran began, "we're looking at a particularly nasty situation, people. Three Forgotten Beasts. Three."

There was murmuring through the crowd, three Forgotten Beasts at once was unprecedented in recorded history.

"This is a clear message from the gods," Ibruk began, rather predictably, "something has displeased them within Nomekast, we have been lax in our piety, they warn us now to redress our ways."

"There are two on the Fiery Cistern, Bezbin and Streti, and one still in the Lower Levels, Lish Reksas Shulmik, 'the Sin of Seducers'." Derm said, ignoring Ibruk, "Streti and Lish both breath poisonous gases."

"Aye," Doc. Steve interrupted, "I've already got the lot to cover their mouths and noses. I don't think it'll be enough to stop if you linger too much in the stuff, but it'll help a bit at least." he waved at the militia. Usually looking ramshackle at their best, they now looked like marauding nomads, their heads wrapped with any kind of cloth their could get their hands on, some, like Steve, even sporting goggles or eye-wear.

"Good idea." Derm nodded, "The best thing to do would be to keep back and let the marksdwarves deal with Streti and Lish if at all possible. Bezbin should be no problem, a blob of ash isn't the nastiest of things after all."

"Right, so the plan is to kill Bezbin, pick off Streti from afar, then get to the Lower Levels and shoot Lish if...he? she?...it hasn't already come up?" Melagius questioned. Tarran nodded,

"The most important thing to remember is to stay away from Streti and Lish. We don't know what that poison gas does, but judging from how Rion suffered from the dust..." he trailed off, but all knew what he meant, Rion's death had affected the permanent militia more than anyone else.

"Right, are we all agreed? Then let's move."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Reflections from the magma danced off the rough rock face of the Fiery Cistern, usually quite busy with activity, especially since Stronghammer had taken over the industry, ramping the facilities up hugely, it was now silent and deserted. Some tools lay abandoned on the cavern floor, where some of the more frightened Dwarves had simply dropped them and ran up to the home level, too afraid to remain on the same cavern level as two Forgotten Beasts.

"Right, everyone fan out, keep an eye out, warn about any noise. Any noise."

They did so, cautiously making their way through the rock network that was the caves, eyes wide open for any sudden sighting of monsters.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bezbin was the first they saw. The squirming sphere-like monster of ash topped with a shell bounded from the shadows like some eldricht monster, screaming in some incomprehensible language, if it was language at all.

"Get out its way!" Steve cried, his voice muffled behind his layers of cloth. He fired a few bolts from his crossbow, they embedded themselves in the beast, but it did not stop Bezbin. The beast bounded onto Melagius, enveloping him in its ash. Melagius tried to swear but received nothing but a mouthful of ash for his trouble. With his sword he was able to cut himself free. Bezbin did not stop there, punctured by several bolts fired by Rar, Rovod, Steve and Jessica, he continued onwards, squirming like some unnatural living slime. Waves of ash emerged from his shell, and he spread himself out thin like a film of sludge, sliming towards the group.

MOON TURNS BLUE, HERE ENDS YOU. he said in his voice that resonated from all parts of the ashen slime that made him, like some chorus. It became like a chant,

MOON TURNS BLUE, HERE ENDS YOU.

The ashen sludge climbed the cave walls, spreading like some toxic liquid, his shell edging slowly towards them like some rock being moved by waves. The militia continued to hack at it, their blades and bolts going through and hitting the rock beneath. Then Rar launched one more bolt, and without warning Bezbin suddenly stopped, and the wave fell from the walls, collapsing as though gravity was only now acting upon it, falling onto the cavern fall as lifeless ash, covering the floor in a coating of ashen dust. His shell sat motionless.

"Everyone okay?" Derm asked, wiping his brow as he sheathed his sword.

"Pathetic." Ocade tutted, poking a pile of ash with the point of his sword.

"So, monsters of ash exist?" Jessica pondered, as she ran a gloved hand over Bezbin's shell.

"Aye, the usual story is that they're beasts warped by demons." Muenster explained.

"They are the souls of creatures tortured by Hell, loosed upon the underground to kill others and expand the Legions of Perdition." Kadzar corrected. The nature of the Forgotten Beasts was a basic part of temple dogma, and something that religious thinkers had spent years pondering.

A sudden crash made them all jump. It came from the direction of the forges. A scree like that of a bird rent the air.

"Lish!" Tarran exclaimed, "Damn thing must have flown out of the Lower Levels and into the forges!"

The group sprinted back to the drawbridge. The forges were devoid of life, the only noise was that of the magma bubbling. Meinhard was about to say something when one of the lab's lead doors went flying through the air, smashing into a pillar of rock.

"He's in the lab!" Sandra exclaimed.

As if on cue, another crash sounded from the building.

"Right, it's at the entrance on the far-side. If we go in from the pen, we can avoid being bottle-necked." Loral observed. This course of action was agreed, and they entered through the holding pens. The five Nothing that were caged there sat motionless, eyes staring at the group as they passed. Inside the lab proper, Lish stood by the entrance, crushing the remains of a table with its feet. Had it not been for the slavering jaws, three eyes and huge size, Lish would have been almost comical with its pink feathers. The quail stared them down, not moving.

AH! it said, in what sounded an almost childish voice. THE INSECTS HAVE COME TO PLAY! WHAT WILL WE PLAY, INSECTS? WHAT CAN WE PLAY?

Doc. Steve let off a bolt in response, it pierced Lish's right wing.

SO THE INSECTS HAVE STICKS! LET'S PLAY, INSECTS! LET'S PLAY A GAME, A GREAT GAME, A GAME SO GREAT YOU'LL DIE OF FUN!

With that, Lish gave a screech, and launch itself at the group. Jessica, Rar, Rovod and Steve let loose a flurry of bolts. Lish's leap worked against it as it fell upon the combined spears of Xenos, Kadzar's warrior-priests and Meinhard's Jagers. With a pained screech it let loose a stream of gas from its beak until Meinhard's spear pierced its heart and it gave a shudder then was still.

"These Forgotten Beasts are surprisingly frail." Rashem noted, lowering his warhammer, "If these are their best, we will soon have wiped their scourge from the world."

"It's the speaking that annoys me." Rovod chuckled, "I prefer a quiet enemy."

"Is there any significance to their words, Master Kadzar?" Hammer of the Gods asked, deferring to the highest temple authority in the absence of Ibruk.

"I do not know." the zealot replied, "I am sure Master Ibruk would, though. He has studied the prophecies of the Blind Prophet of the Broken Rock, and the Ocean Princess in great depth."

"Right. From what I can tell, no one's got any symptons of poisoning." Steve declared, having examined the Jagers and priests, "I can only guess that the poison is useless, missed, or slow-acting."

"There's still Streti to deal with." Derm pointed out.

As it was, Streti seemed nowhere to be found. The group prowled the caves, but nothing came back to them except silence. Until finally, they heard a dull murmur. Weapons drawn, they approached. But it wasn't Streti, it was a group of strange creatures. Their shapes were vaguely humanoid, but they seemed to be made out of pure darkness, except for shining red eyes, and black sticks topped with a reddish-sphere.

"What in all the layers of the world, are those?" Melagius exclaimed.

"I don't know, but I get the feeling that they're probably not friendly." Rashem said grimly.

His prediction proved true as the creatures notice the group. They let loose a cry, and hefted their sphere-topped sticks. The spheres glowed, and launched what almost seemed to be balls of gas. One hit Fori, it was like being punched. The group retaliated to this attack with a hail of bolts. For all their apparent magic-sticks, the creatures died swiftly, no match at all, and with no casualties on the Nomekastian side except for bruises here and there.

Once dead the group was able to examine them closer.

"Troglodytes." Rar declared.

"Strangest trogs I've ever seen." Melagius said, picking up one of the sticks the troglodytes had used, the entire thing shattered into wisps of black smoke.

"Dark magicz." Meinhard growled. Kadzar nodded,

"These are not troglodytes, they're more some dark creature made from troglodytes."

"It doesn't matter, we still need to find Streti." Loral said. Almost as if on cue, a great roar came from some other section of the caves. The group hurried over, to find their enemy waiting for them.

YOU ARE SLOW, MAGGOTS. Streti said, its voice a refined croak. HOW DO YOU PROPOSE TO SAVE A WORLD IF YOU KEEP YOUR ENEMIES WAITING?

Streti stood motionless, watching them from afar, doing nothing but occasionaly giving a belch.

I DON'T SEE WHY I SHOULD EVEN BOTHER TO FIGHT YOU, YOU PATHETIC HATCHLINGS. WHETHER I LIVE OR DIE, AND WHETHER YOU LIVE OR DIE, NOTHING CHANGES. YOU HAVE ALREADY LOST, YOU INSIGNIFICANT BUGS. YOU HAVE LOST AND YOU HAVEN'T EVEN UNDERSTOOD IT YET.

The sauropod suddenly stood up,

DO YOU KNOW WHY WE WERE FORGOTTEN? the hatches on the lizard opened, BECAUSE WE KILLED ALL THOSE WHO EVER SAW US. gas spewed. Jessica opened fire, followed by Rar, Rovod and Steve. The rest of the group hung back until the cloud dissipated somewhat before charging in. Streti gave a loud bellow, and batted Derm away, then headbutted Hammer of the Gods, sending the Goblin flying into a rock pillar. The beast erupted with another cloud of gas that engulfed the fighters. With its tail it slammed into Rovod, making a loud crack that suggested broken bones. Finally though, it collapsed under the weight of the blows.

HEH. YOU REALLY ARE IDIOTS. EVERYTHING IS ALREADY IN PLACE. it managed to croak before Doc. Steve sent a bolt flying into its head and it fell silent.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bounce had been getting some fresh air up at the lighthouse when she saw it. Four more refugees. She quickly alerted the rest of the community, who agreed to lower the drawbridge of the compound so that they could get through. They would have to be careful, all their best fighters were down on the Fiery Cistern fighting Streti and company, and the Nothing swarmed above-ground as usual. The four were apart, two came down from the hills, but at opposite ends, the other two were coming fown the valley following the course of the river, again at opposite ends. From what she could see, three looked tall enough to be Humans, Elves or Goblins.

Getting the new refugees in was mercifully easy and bloodless. The Nothing were currently swarming on the opposite side of the river Squeezemunch, away from all-but-one of the refugees. The unlucky refugee caught near them was able to dodge them and get across the bridge and into the compound.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It was Fori who first showed the symptoms. As the militia made their way back to Nomekast, she gave a hacking cough, and soon became too dizzy to walk. Gutusp followed shortly after, then Xenos, Sandra, Loral and both of Meinhard's Jagers, Reg Medtobiger and Sodel Sikeliton. Derm was at Fori's side within moments, asking if she was alright. The Elf was having trouble breathing, and the beginnings of a fever was showing. The same symptoms showed with the others.

"Streti's poison gas!" Doc. Steve suddenly swore, "Get them to Reg! Quick dammit!"

The group doubled their pace, but those affected seemed to be lethargic, suffering from some partial paralysis. Eventually Gutusp, the most obviously affected out of them, fell, completely unable to move.

"Emxa." she managed to swear in Goblin, before giving a hacking cough that faded into nothing as she became too paralyzed even to breathe. Steve grabbed her, trying his best to help her breathe, but eventually he was forced to give up. Streti's poisonous fumes had done their dark work.

"Get the other's to Reg!" Derm screamed, carefully helping Fori forward.

They had reached the magma forges when a resounding crash alerted them to something.

A humanoid figure wreathed in an aura of flames stood by the forges, propelling fireballs at the structures until the broke and plunged into the magma.

The fire man had clearly not noticed them, instead moving into the already-damaged laboratory. More destruction was heard from within.

"Get the people to the hospital, we will take care of this." Kadzar said firmly, as he and his warrior-priests prepared their spears. Rovod, Rar, Jessica and Rashem remained behind too, crossbows at the ready. The battle with the fire man was brief. The creature was trapped in the laboratory, and was soon pierced through and through by spears and bolts. With a shrieking cry its flames died, leaving nothing but ash behind. But a worse scene met them after they had killed the fire man. Torvold lay dead, burnt to a cinder, within the lab. Evidently the scientist had seen Lish's corpse, and judged it safe enough to return to the lab, only to be surprised by a fire man that no doubt came from the magma pool.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Fori, Xenos, Loral, Sandra and the Jagers did not suffer the same total-paralysis that Gutusp had. They continued to run a fever against which Reg could do little, and they still had difficulty moving their limbs, still having some partial paralysis, but they could at least breathe. Furthermore Rovod had broken a rib, and Hammer of the Gods had had her upper spine smashed apart, though she could still walk fine, a quick suture and wound-dressing by Reg and she was back training - against the doctor's orders - but training nonetheless.

Stronghammer Fireforge's 'divine inspiration' or simply 'strange mood' as many people simply called it, ended soon after the militia returned. Despite having no knowledge of weaving (his area of expertise was mass-scale industry, not artisanship) he had made a cave spider silk bag. Ibruk did not try to explain what exactly it was supposed to represent, the priest staying mostly quiet in the face of the tragedy and drama that had recently occurred, apparently unwilling to stir the hornets' nest.

The four newcomers were introduced; Reno Monty, a Human marksman who had escaped his village as it was destroyed. Dohon, a hammerdwarf and metalsmith who Stronghammer was pleased to welcome to the expanding industrial base of Nomekast. Ugo Sosleng, an eloquent Goblin scientist from one of those rare multiracial cities, who quickly became very interested in taking over Torvold's experiments on the Nothing, and was delighted to find Dos Panzermench's schematics and plans that Torvold had never had the time to experiment with. And finally, a grim Human who simply went by the name 'Juggernaut'. It soon became clear he was a zealous Armok worshipper, with the bloodthirstiness to match. He disagreed with Ibruk however, when shown the temple, declaring a battlefield to be a better shrine than a pile of rocks.

Gutusp and Torvold's funerals took place the following day. Most people hadn't known the Goblin-raised Dwarf very well, except for Bax and some of the other Goblins, but in a place that seemed almost constantly under siege by some eldricht monster or another, the loss of any fighter - and Gutusp had been an able fighter - was bad. Meanwhile, her Elven protege, the boy she had insisted was still her slave was put under the care of the fort's Elven community. Torvold on the other hand, had been one of the founding members of the community, and had been responsible for the trapped corridor and many of the mechanical defences that had kept Nomekast safe. While he had sometimes seemed rather insane, he had still been a good Dwarf by anyone's standards.

As the 4th Limestone ended, there was little in the way of celebration for surviving the trio of Forgotten Beasts that had attacked them. Two deaths, seven wounded, six of which were still running high fevers and partially paralyzed and some strange new threat down in the caverns, while on the surface the Nothing still sat in their great swarm, waiting for their prey.

Again, if anyone whose character has died wants another, just ask.
[USE_GOOD_REASON:UNTHINKABLE]

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: July 22, 2011, 08:09:02 pm »

Heck ya, welcome back. I have to say you still have a perfect and awesome nack for story writing. Stronghammer clearly made the bag to contain his many profits. And yay a smith has joined, though it is quite said to have lost so many, though one was a goblin which is ok, lol. Keep up the great work PLEEEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSSSSE. Oh and all praise the industrial base and might of Nomekast. Oh and was wondering if I could create the "Iron Guard" to protect the industry and act like a security force to prevent thefts and what not, of course I would command it though would not go into combat myself. Just a thought, and request.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 08:14:30 pm by Stronghammer »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 76